Div 3 and the rest medal count 2016

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Div 3 and the rest medal count 2016

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:50 am

From the pen of the CEO:

The format for the Best & Fairest counts for all Divisions from 3 < has had an interesting journey over time with the more recent forum being held at Aldi Arena.

“Constructive Observations” have been varied with the main being it is a significant effort for individuals or groups to venture to ALDI Arena for what is in effect a 6 or 7 minute power point. Given there are 18 power points to present, the process to uncover alternatives is even more challenging i.e. next “observation” will be it is too long. However what has become very obvious is the rate of participation and attendance has been dwindling to the point that last year only 6 winners of the 18 counts were present.

Short of telling those who are the winner in advance that in fact they are the winner, there is no obvious solution to improve that. However, the opportunity for the winner to be presented with their medal at the Division 1 count will still be available.

The previous method was to have a club host a certain Division or Divisions but those who have been around for a while tell us the reason that form of festivus fell flat was because clubs did not travel from one side of town to the other so interest from host clubs wore thin as well.

For Season 2016 presentations, we are going to attempt another format, being to present each count by way of video for those to either watch at their leisure or if a club wishes to generate interest from its own members they can do that as well. This method will have its challenges given once the players become aware who has won, their own interest will dissipate if it’s not them or at least someone from within their club.

Worst case scenario is we discover that clubs filing into ALDI Arena is the best option of a bad bunch. Alternatively, the next chapter proves moderately successful or at least provides an opportunity to develop it in other ways.

To that end, all counts will be live via the League Website from 6:00pm Thursday 1st September.
• All of Divisions 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 will be presented as the full 18 Round fixture
• All Reserve and C Divisions will be presented with a Round 9 summary before launching into the final 9 rounds
Hard copies by round will also be available as it has in the past.

All that said, we’re open to suggestions as to how we may generate greater interest from participants so feel free to let us know.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Re: Div 3 and the rest medal count 2016

Postby The Bedge » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:53 am

Good idea, good initiative..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby S Demon » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:09 pm

18's?
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Pag » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:10 pm

S Demon wrote:18's?

Would be included as well I presume mate.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby easy TIGA » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:29 pm

Will they release top four prior at all like previously?
easy TIGA
Under 16s

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:39 am

Well I think the idea was a good one and worked well - its been a long time since I've seen so much interest in the count as I did last night.. screenshots and general discussion on FB. The idea was a winner IMO.

Only areas I'd think could be tweaked
* reverse the votes as they come up - so go 1, 2 ,3 in that order instead of 3, 2, 1
* upload the videos prior to the night, schedule them for release at a certain time - so then there is no delay on counts as was with D5 and D6.
* insert Hyperlinks to individual counts on the SAAFL site so people don't need to scroll through looking for their specific count.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby S Demon » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:38 pm

Yeah I didn't mind it either. We had about 30 blokes come up to the club for a couple of beers and to watch the count on the big screen. It worked well. We didn't have any technical difficulties apart from one of the counts (C3) had no music to it which is no big deal, just made the room go really quiet!

I agree regarding showing 3rd best, 2nd Best, Best - in that order

Maybe just one more leadrerboard at say Round 15 or Round 17 to see where its all at coming in to the last round would be good. For a new concept I thought it worked well. I guess it is whatever clubs make of it though..
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League