Umpire Collision Ban

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Umpire Collision Ban

Postby The Big Shrek » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:39 pm

Chris Motley from Brahma Lodge apparently got a straight 12 week ban for reckless contact with an umpire.

I must say the Advertiser report is very light on in detail.

I have been told the umpire in question gave evidence that he thought the contact was made by him rather than the player. The other ump gave evidence that it was the players fault.

Unfortunately it is my experience that the tribunal seems to be too swayed by the evidence of umpires, particularly when the umpire appears confident. Confidence is no indication of reliability yet the tribunal (and juries) are impressed by it. Given their role you might think the tribunal might be less sucked in though.

When you are handing out life bans (as opposed to 2 or 3 week suspensions) it seems to me that the tribunal should be a little more circumspect.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Re: Umpire Collision Ban

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:41 pm

Re the League's comments in the Advertiser my suspicion is given the furore following the Rumbleow incident (and Gepps/SPOC's issues) Kernahan likely played it down as much as possible with a hope of minimising any damage to the League/98% of Club's with no issues reputations.

Without actually having heard what happened at the Tribunal and the evidence before it we're borderline left speculating on speculation.

Given the amount of incidental contact with an umpire that results in the Umpire and player helping one another up I suspect there was substantially more in this one than meets the eye.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:13 pm

This happened weeks and weeks ago, Adelaide Now struggling for news content if they want to bandy about news from 2 months ago
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:40 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Chris Motley from Brahma Lodge apparently got a straight 12 week ban for reckless contact with an umpire.

I must say the Advertiser report is very light on in detail.

I have been told the umpire in question gave evidence that he thought the contact was made by him rather than the player. The other ump gave evidence that it was the players fault.

Unfortunately it is my experience that the tribunal seems to be too swayed by the evidence of umpires, particularly when the umpire appears confident. Confidence is no indication of reliability yet the tribunal (and juries) are impressed by it. Given their role you might think the tribunal might be less sucked in though.

When you are handing out life bans (as opposed to 2 or 3 week suspensions) it seems to me that the tribunal should be a little more circumspect.

player had a duty of care to avoid collision with umpire we all know the concesqences
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:04 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:

He's not banned for life, he can still go and play in other leagues - but I get your point
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:30 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:

He's not banned for life, he can still go and play in other leagues - but I get your point

He got 12 weeks. Thats a national ban now isnt it?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:42 pm

HH3 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:

16 for national, 12 for C9AFL
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:44 pm

jo172 wrote:
HH3 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:

16 for national, 12 for C9AFL

So he's on 15 with past history then.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League