Life ban

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Life ban

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:For mine, people talk about the penalty being too high for the sling tackle and it's the result of that which has pushed him over the threshold
But...had he not pushed the umpire (twice), he'd have copped a lesser suspension and still be able to play SAAFL. It's not the sling-tackle penalty which is hurting him.

Agree I hadn't seen the footage which showed the second push before

I think it's a very fair deciscion from the tribunal to adjudge that his contact with the umpire was deliberate
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:32 pm

whufc wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:For mine, people talk about the penalty being too high for the sling tackle and it's the result of that which has pushed him over the threshold
But...had he not pushed the umpire (twice), he'd have copped a lesser suspension and still be able to play SAAFL. It's not the sling-tackle penalty which is hurting him.

I think it's a very fair deciscion from the tribunal to adjudge that his contact with the umpire was deliberate

I'm sorry but you don't deserve a second chance for touching an umpire..........END OF STORY!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:53 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
am Bays wrote:Interesting some punters on here advocating for Hay, in my humble opinion are basically saying (tacitly or otherwise) umpire abuse is OK.

Should not be allowed on on footy field anywhere, anymore, period.

Signed

A registered umpire.

I'm sorry, but I cannot see any instances where any posters who are advocating for Hay are saying (tacitly or otherwise) umpire abuse is OK. All of the arguments have been around him having a clean record over the past 3 years and getting a second chance. I cannot see how that suggests (tacitly or otherwise) umpire abuse is OK.

BTW, I'm not a Hay advocate

amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:

I'm sorry but you don't deserve a second chance for touching an umpire..........END OF STORY!

^
This
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby bird of prey » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Not sure what path SN took, but I would've copped the suspension for pushing the umpire, and contested the length of the suspension for the sling tackle.
I would've gone hat in hand to the league, admitted fault for the push, tried to go for a lesser suspension on the sling, kissed a bit of ass with the league, and hoped to have got a "last chance" to still play.
Like I said, not sure if they had taken this path to begin with, or if they just went down the path of playing down the push of the umpire.
It could be past the point of no return now though unfortunately.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:38 pm

am Bays wrote:
Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
am Bays wrote:Interesting some punters on here advocating for Hay, in my humble opinion are basically saying (tacitly or otherwise) umpire abuse is OK.

Should not be allowed on on footy field anywhere, anymore, period.

Signed

A registered umpire.

I'm sorry, but I cannot see any instances where any posters who are advocating for Hay are saying (tacitly or otherwise) umpire abuse is OK. All of the arguments have been around him having a clean record over the past 3 years and getting a second chance. I cannot see how that suggests (tacitly or otherwise) umpire abuse is OK.

BTW, I'm not a Hay advocate

amber_fluid wrote:
whufc wrote:

^
This

Which one of these quotes you are pointing out is saying (tacitly or otherwise) that umpire abuse is OK?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:41 pm

My point is this:

Advocating or saying someone deserves a "2nd chance" or accepting that letting someone play again after being found guilty of recklessly/carelessly/intentionally making contact with an umpire, means in my opinion, that you think umpire abuse is OK.

This individual or anyone else found guilty of that charge should not be allowed to play Australian Football EVER again, anywhere or in any league.

Maybe, just maybe if they umpire for 10 years they can be considered by the State body for re-registration as a player.

As an umpire, former player and official of football club(s) in three different states, that's how I feel.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:14 pm

am Bays wrote:My point is this:

Advocating or saying someone deserves a "2nd chance" or accepting that letting someone play again after being found guilty of recklessly/carelessly/intentionally making contact with an umpire, means in my opinion, that you think umpire abuse is OK.

This individual or anyone else found guilty of that charge should not be allowed to play Australian Football EVER again, anywhere or in any league.

Maybe, just maybe if they umpire for 10 years they can be considered by the State body for re-registration as a player.

As an umpire, former player and official of football club(s) in three different states, that's how I feel.

That's pretty clear cut, albeit a little extreme. I can only assume that you tnink Andy Otten should not be playing for the Crows and that anyone who cheers him on Saturday night is saying that umpire abuse is OK?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby cracka » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Some are defending his actions by saying 6 week penalty for a sling tackle is too harsh. For it to be classified as a "tackle" the guy he was throwing around would need to have the ball in his possession, therefore IMO its not a tackle so he got 6 weeks for rough conduct.
Also looking at the extended video it looks like there was no fighting at all until he ran in from wherever he came from.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 460 times
Been liked: 566 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby jo172 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:23 pm

cracka wrote:Some are defending his actions by saying 6 week penalty for a sling tackle is too harsh. For it to be classified as a "tackle" the guy he was throwing around would need to have the ball in his possession, therefore IMO its not a tackle so he got 6 weeks for rough conduct.
Also looking at the extended video it looks like there was no fighting at all until he ran in from wherever he came from.

Looking at the video there's a reasonable argument he got off lightly.

Appears to have single handedly incited a melee in a grand final
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Gazza's Scalp » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:46 pm

SNFC played down at Goodwood today and in the crowd I overheard someone mention Travis Tuck's playing record < edit: Oh mate, are you trying to get us sued?">

It did get me thinking... he is over the Adelaide Football League's 12 game threshold. Can anyone confirm if he or Goodwood had to go through any formal application or appeal for him to play in the league?

*edit - my apologies Gazza, it's well documented, i jumped the gun a bit - http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/young-hawk-travis-tuck-rushed-to-hospital-in-suspected-drug-overdose/news-story/7e479cc027cdf317398da7f7d4ba5e72

Play on...
Gazza's Scalp
Mini-League

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby heater31 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Suspensions at AFL level are halved when you drop down to the amateur ranks.

Although drug related ones might also cloud the issue....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Footy Chick » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:14 pm

I'd say the system would probably stop Goodwood or the league from registering Tuck to play if he was suspended as per AFL or ASADA/WADA regs let alone suspended matches against his name, which means Heater would be right about his suspended matches being cut in half.

Besides, the fact Brunoli played for PNU today after a stint away as per ASADA would suggest it’s got nothing to do with the national de-registration policy.

We'll you'd think so anyway :shock:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Q. » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:52 pm

Brunoli served his two year suspension though
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby jo172 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:15 am

De-registration and AFL mandated life bans are two different kettles of fish.

How else does anyone think the bombers players are allowed to play?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Trader » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Q. wrote:Brunoli served his two year suspension though

Does raise an interesting question though, should that count as 36 games and therefore over the 12 game limit?
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Q. » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Trader wrote:

Does raise an interesting question though, should that count as 36 games and therefore over the 12 game limit?

Why would it incur any games? The infringement occurred at a powerlifting meet.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Trader » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:18 pm

Q. wrote:
Trader wrote:

For the same reason that an infringement at a powerlifting meet meant he couldn't play footy for two years.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby jo172 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:24 pm

Trader wrote:
Q. wrote:
Trader wrote:

For the same reason that an infringement at a powerlifting meet meant he couldn't play footy for two years.

Should Jobe Watson, Patrick Ryder etc be subject to life bans?
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Trader wrote:
Q. wrote:
Trader wrote:

Reciprocal agreements pursuant to Federal Funding would be that reason
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Trader » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:40 pm

jo172 wrote:Should Jobe Watson, Patrick Ryder etc be subject to life bans?

I'm not sure, but I do think its an interesting question.

Rules say if you've missed 12 games, we will de-register you.
Player is suspended from playing for a period greater than 12 games, but is allowed to play on after serving his ban.

I'm not saying if it's right or wrong, but I do find it interesting that we count games for some things, but not others.

Yes, Brunoli's suspension came from an infringement in another sport, but it was considered relevant enough for him to miss 2 years of SAAFL.

In some ways its similar to the rosewater lads who copped games for a picture on facebook. Those games count towards their 12 match limit.

Once again, not saying if it should or shouldn't count, but it is an interesting situation if you ask me.
Trader
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League