AFL support for local footy

Adelaide Footy League Talk

AFL support for local footy

Postby bird of prey » Mon May 08, 2017 11:32 am

Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me.

What does the AFL actually provide to grassroots footy clubs here in SA?

Obviously they are investing a heap of cash into places like the Gold Coast, NSW, and Qld, but what do they pump back into the traditional footy states?

I hear that a grassroots club gets a small figure of $1k if a player from that club gets drafted (is that correct?) I don't hear of any other support the afl provides though.

I hear that the afl makes a good amount of coin off the Auskick program (which the clubs do all the leg work for from what I'm told) too.

The occasional visit by a photo afl listed player to a local school is all I really hear of.

Would the afl ever consider giving grants to struggling clubs, or offer some kind of support to help their growth?

Thoughts?
bird of prey
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 40 times

Re: AFL support for local footy

Postby Pag » Mon May 08, 2017 11:34 am

bird of prey wrote:Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me.

Obviously they are investing a heap of cash into places like the Gold Coast, NSW, and Qld, but what do they pump back into the traditional footy states?

I hear that a grassroots club gets a small figure of $1k if a player from that club gets drafted (is that correct?) I don't hear of any other support the afl provides though.

I hear that the afl makes a good amount of coin off the Auskick program (which the clubs do all the leg work for from what I'm told) too.

The occasional visit by a photo afl listed player to a local school is all I really hear of.

Would the afl ever consider giving grants to struggling clubs, or offer some kind of support to help their growth?

Thoughts?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think it's something like that when a player is drafted as has nominated your club as his junior club. I think there is then a bonus when he play's his first AFL game, then another for each 50-game milestone thereafter?
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 08, 2017 11:39 am

Pag wrote:
bird of prey wrote:Just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me.

Thoughts?

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think it's something like that when a player is drafted as has nominated your club as his junior club. I think there is then a bonus when he play's his first AFL game, then another for each 50-game milestone thereafter?

Seemingly, when I ran Smithfield Sports and Social Club we chased up this for Travis Varcoe and got nowhere many times.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 08, 2017 11:53 am

SANFL club get the $, should be some scheme where a portion of it then goes back to the grassroots club.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby jo172 » Mon May 08, 2017 11:55 am

Dutchy wrote:SANFL club get the $, should be some scheme where a portion of it then goes back to the grassroots club.

If you don't chase your SANFL club to the ends of the earth (and even then some) they won't hand it over.

We have a major sponsor's worth of funds sitting in the coffers of a couple of League Clubs.

The sooner the SANFL falls over the better.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 08, 2017 12:00 pm

jo172 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:SANFL club get the $, should be some scheme where a portion of it then goes back to the grassroots club.

If you don't chase your SANFL club to the ends of the earth (and even then some) they won't hand it over.

We have a major sponsor's worth of funds sitting in the coffers of a couple of League Clubs.

Surely this is where the CFL steps in?

I guess there can be some contention on what club the $ could go to if the kid has gone thru a few clubs, but a simply check of registrations and where he was the majority of the time would quickly solve it.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 08, 2017 12:06 pm

Pretty sure 30% is supposed to go back to the Grassroots club.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 08, 2017 12:08 pm

Pag wrote:Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think it's something like that when a player is drafted as has nominated your club as his junior club. I think there is then a bonus when he play's his first AFL game, then another for each 50-game milestone thereafter?

$20k on drafting.
$15k on 20 AFL games.

Broken Down:
40% - Club
30% - League
30% - Zone

*Taken from NEMJFA website*
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jo172 » Mon May 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Surely this is where the CFL steps in?

I guess there can be some contention on what club the $ could go to if the kid has gone thru a few clubs, but a simply check of registrations and where he was the majority of the time would quickly solve it.

It's a bit of a tight-rope when you're trying to keep a healthy relationship with said League Club (and the Senior Coach has his own loyalties to the League Club).
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Footy Chick » Mon May 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Zartan wrote:
Pag wrote:Someone will correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think it's something like that when a player is drafted as has nominated your club as his junior club. I think there is then a bonus when he play's his first AFL game, then another for each 50-game milestone thereafter?

$20k on drafting.
$15k on 20 AFL games.

Broken Down:
40% - Club
30% - League
30% - Zone

*Taken from NEMJFA website*

It used to be a $$ amount on milestone games and GF's as well, I remember reading about it when Joel Patful got drafted back in the day - that was obviously some years ago now though.

I think the player actually had to nominate the grassroots club for the club to get any reward from it too, otherwise the SANFL club cashes in.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 08, 2017 12:19 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I think the player actually had to nominate the grassroots club for the club to get any reward from it too, otherwise the SANFL club cashes in.

Don't all the players nominate the grassroots club leading into the draft? That's why when they call out the name they say like "Pick 11, Adelaide Crows select Wayne Milera - Ingle Farm Jnr Football Club, Central Districts Football Club"
The Bedge
Coach

Postby bird of prey » Mon May 08, 2017 12:22 pm

So no other AFL support for Grassroots club, apart from a few that are lucky enough to get money from players being drafted?

Seems like the AFL are taking grassroots clubs for granted, and using all money for the bloody rugby states.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 08, 2017 12:26 pm

bird of prey wrote:So no other AFL support for Grassroots club, apart from a few that are lucky enough to get money from players being drafted?

Seems like the AFL are taking grassroots clubs for granted, and using all money for the bloody rugby states.

I remember hearing from a lady who worked grassroots in QLD on the Sunshine Coast, and she said the AFL do bugger all up there as well, despite the fact they spruik and take credit for the work being done.

Not sure AFL really actually gives much if anything back to grassroots, but they'll obviously continue to promote it and talk it up because it translates into participation numbers, sponsorship dollars, attendance numbers at games.. it's all about the $$.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby laser » Mon May 08, 2017 12:31 pm

The SANFL used to manage this, referred to as the "AFL Talent Development Fee" where you invoice them and they would pay. (at least up to a couple of years ago). This may still be the case. You need to prove a playing record with your club and include this with the invoice. Matt Duldig used to be the contact, not sure who does it now.

The SANFL now pay $500 for each player making their debut (in the SANFL). No need for an invoice, they stump up with the cheque which is a bit easier.
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby bird of prey » Mon May 08, 2017 12:37 pm

Zartan wrote:
bird of prey wrote:So no other AFL support for Grassroots club, apart from a few that are lucky enough to get money from players being drafted?

I remember hearing from a lady who worked grassroots in QLD on the Sunshine Coast, and she said the AFL do bugger all up there as well, despite the fact they spruik and take credit for the work being done.

Not sure AFL really actually gives much if anything back to grassroots, but they'll obviously continue to promote it and talk it up because it translates into participation numbers, sponsorship dollars, attendance numbers at games.. it's all about the $$.

So they hold back money from the AFL players and tell them it's because they need to "grow the game", yet all they're probably doing is using it to bankroll Gold Coast and GWS.
bird of prey
Under 18s

Postby gadj1976 » Mon May 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Pag wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm still trying to find out the exact info on what clubs get. If someone can find it, please shoot it through to me. It seems to be invisible as far as the www is concerned.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue May 09, 2017 1:52 pm

18.4 of the SACFL Regulations (http://sanfl.com.au/wp-content/uploads/ ... ersion.pdf)

Each Zone Advisory Council may decide on the way ... transfer fees are divided... minimum 40% but be paid to Affiliated League Club...

Effectively our clubs used to get a cash amount to reward us for a drafted player that debuts + another payment after 10 games

Now it has been turned into a "grant" that needs to be used for the development of junior football. Of course all us incompetent clubs are incapable of using their generous gift for suitable purposes in their eyes so we need to account for every dollar only supporting junior football as that is the only valuable service we provide to the game at our lowly level.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League