University PHD Project - feel free to have your say

Adelaide Footy League Talk

University PHD Project - feel free to have your say

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Re: University PHD Project - feel free to have your say

Postby morell » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:33 pm

Completed the survey.

Must say some of the questions were a little bit along the along the lines of

"How much of an asshole are you? A lot or just a bit of one?"

Would also be better served not using groupings for the questions. Some of the topics are obviously murky and binary type thinking wouldn't glean appropriate insights.

Also didn't address the classical feminist paradox on consent, eg

"A man and a woman have sex, both are equally drunk, to the point that neither were able to provide the legal definition of consent. Is is possible for both parties to commit sexual assault on eachother?"
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:49 pm

I completed it, got to say it made me feel bit uncomfortable and almost guilty to be a male involved in a football club.

Going through it gave the impression i should hold no values or respect for women, their involvement in sporting clubs or in a sexual nature. Like if i play footy i'm gonna be a chauvinistic, alcohol fueled rapist pig who treats women like objects.

Also some of the answers it was like choose - are you the biggest pig around, or are you the biggest snitch/goody too shoes.. really was nothing in between.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 pm

not my survey....Not my circus ;)

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby morell » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:01 pm

Zartan wrote:I completed it, got to say it made me feel bit uncomfortable and almost guilty to be a male involved in a football club.

Going through it gave the impression i should hold no values or respect for women, their involvement in sporting clubs or in a sexual nature. Like if i play footy i'm gonna be a chauvinistic, alcohol fueled rapist pig who treats women like objects.

Also some of the answers it was like choose - are you the biggest pig around, or are you the biggest snitch/goody too shoes.. really was nothing in between.
ha! I sent it to my missus who works in this sort of space (market research) and said the exact same thing.

Are you a pig or a saint? Is what it boiled down to.

Unfortunately, with a lot of academia they tend to get caught in their own self reporting social circles and forget that there is a real world out there where peoples experiences and knowledge don't fit into neat and precise categories.

Still. It's a positive thing that it's even being talked about as there is no doubt an issue amongst footballers in regards to respect for women.
morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:18 pm

You can smell the pre-determined conclusions coming a mile away
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:28 pm

morell wrote:Still. It's a positive thing that it's even being talked about as there is no doubt an issue amongst footballers in regards to respect for women.

I would like to think a lot of those issues and mentality are decreasing given the massive growth of women in sport over the past decade.

I might start walking around night clubs and footy clubs though and finding a couple of people getting friendly and alert them to the dangers of engaging in a sexual encounter whilst intoxicated.

I was also torn with the question "Having casual sex with footy chicks or groupies is a benefit of being a footy player" :oops: :lol:

Or what about this one:

Q: "You are in a bar with a girl who has been flirting with you all night. She has had a lot to drink. You think she wants to have sex with you and you're up for it too, but she is pretty unsteady on her feet. Please select the statements you think are correct."

A: If she's drunk then she can't give consent. Best to leave it for another time
The Bedge
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Hahahah exactly. Some absolute nonsensical hypotheticals created.
morell
Coach

Postby Trader » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:30 pm

morell wrote:Unfortunately, with a lot of academia they tend to get caught in their own self reporting social circles and forget that there is a real world out there where peoples experiences and knowledge don't fit into neat and precise categories.

From the Port Adelaide Thread:

morell wrote:But remember its a scale, not a grouping.
Just like you can have some right wing political opinions and some left wing ones.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:37 pm

Zartan wrote:
I was also torn with the question "Having casual sex with footy chicks or groupies is a benefit of being a footy player" :oops: :lol:

Ex-squeeze me? :shock: :-O

Footy Chick

Postby Executive Member » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Zartan wrote:

Ex-squeeze me? :shock: :-O

#WOWEE
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby morell » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Trader wrote:
morell wrote:Unfortunately, with a lot of academia they tend to get caught in their own self reporting social circles and forget that there is a real world out there where peoples experiences and knowledge don't fit into neat and precise categories.

From the Port Adelaide Thread:

morell wrote:But remember its a scale, not a grouping.
Just like you can have some right wing political opinions and some left wing ones.
Exactly.
morell
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:43 pm

I started doing it and stopped after the questions got too vague. This is on par with what I did for Community Studies in Yr 12.

FYI, if you did Community Studies in 2005 you forfeited getting a TER score because it was a bludge.

"Females find footballers more attractive"

1 2 3 4 5?

Depends on the female doesn't it? Some of them like fat hairy dudes. How am I supposed to know?

Also, by saying someone is a footballer, are you insinuating they are better looking, or more in shape?

I've seen some fat, ugly f**ks waddling around the oval in my time.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby morell » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:02 pm

Hazard guess that was heading towards a "footballers think they deserve attention because they're narcissistic" type angle.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:10 pm

I also get the feeling the person organising this has an image in mind of a top gun type change room scene full of athletic ripped mid 20s types with a strong aroma of testosterone and a distinct amount of homo-eroticism. Dudes butt slapping each other and congratulating each other about the chick they just ******.

Might be the case for some clubs but come into the Mitchell Park change room and its mostly Dads, kids, women, trainers and volunteers in their 50s. The conversation is usually about sore knees, organising the kids for Sunday and maybe whose shout for beers it is.
morell
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:13 pm

morell wrote:Hazard guess that was heading towards a "footballers think they deserve attention because they're narcissistic" type angle.

Yeah I got that jist too.

Some of the most self deprecating people I know play amateur football.

This social trend that's pushing against males at the moment is pretty dangerous. Men are already the most likely to commit suicide. Now we're all rapists, racists, and woman haters too?

IMHO when men are cornered, they'll either do what they have to to make it stop, or lash out. Either way is not good.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:16 pm

morell wrote:I also get the feeling the person organising this has an image in mind of a top gun type change room scene full of athletic ripped mid 20s types with a strong aroma of testosterone and a distinct amount of homo-eroticism. Dudes butt slapping each other and congratulating each other about the chick they just ******.

Might be the case for some clubs but come into the Mitchell Park change room and its mostly Dads, kids, women, trainers and volunteers in their 50s. The conversation is usually about sore knees, organising the kids for Sunday and maybe whose shout for beers it is.

That question about the coach using someones sister as motivation at half time was so comical I put other and typed this -

"In 14 years of senior footy, I've never witnessed anything close to this being used as motivation during a game".

They have a very skewed view of men. Vagina is the last thing I'm thinking about when I'm already aching all over and have a whole half to play still.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:48 pm

HH3 wrote:
morell wrote:Hazard guess that was heading towards a "footballers think they deserve attention because they're narcissistic" type angle.

Yeah I got that jist too.

Some of the most self deprecating people I know play amateur football.

This social trend that's pushing against males at the moment is pretty dangerous. Men are already the most likely to commit suicide. Now we're all rapists, racists, and woman haters too?

IMHO when men are cornered, they'll either do what they have to to make it stop, or lash out. Either way is not good.
I am somewhat conflicted as there is no doubt a bit of a recent trend, especially online, where Men are treated as the enemy at worst or at least by having a penis you're instantly removed from the conversation. It's not healthy and is counter productive.

However, Women are murdered, assaulted and raped at a disgustingly high rate - mostly at the hands of Men they know. I love the Margaret Atwood quote about Men being concerned about Judgement, Women are concerned about Murder (its different but I twisted it to suit)

Something has to change and the people who are the most in control in changing that are... Men. Because of this I consider myself a feminist and try to be acutely aware of the sorts of environments or catalysts that might cultivate a person to head in that direction.

Thus, I do think we have an issue in football. I don't however think its any worse than any other male dominated industry, workplace or culture. I've seen it in Engineering firms, board rooms, basketball clubs et al. I am a recent member of the infamous Blokes Advice Facebook group and before they purged all the questionable content I was absolutely disgusted at some of it.

That's the disappointing thing about this survey. People like yourself that are intelligent and able to form sociable thoughts have removed themselves from it because of the accusational tone and nonsensical nature of the questions. She needed to create more conversations and speak to the community first, then design the survey.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:49 pm

HH3 wrote:
morell wrote:I also get the feeling the person organising this has an image in mind of a top gun type change room scene full of athletic ripped mid 20s types with a strong aroma of testosterone and a distinct amount of homo-eroticism. Dudes butt slapping each other and congratulating each other about the chick they just ******.

That question about the coach using someones sister as motivation at half time was so comical I put other and typed this -

"In 14 years of senior footy, I've never witnessed anything close to this being used as motivation during a game".

They have a very skewed view of men. Vagina is the last thing I'm thinking about when I'm already aching all over and have a whole half to play still.
This is the thing I put "I would laugh it off" because it was so obviously stupid you could only laugh as it would have had to be satire.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:54 pm

What about these Very Un-Important - Very Important questions:

"How important do you think that you are, as a footballer, to your community" - Well it's obvious the community would completely shut down and be unable to function if i chose not to play footy :lol:

"How important is being a man to who you are?" - :? :shock: Umm i don't get it..

Then page 6 are the questions where you wish the person conducting the survey would just come out and say what she thinks:
"Rape results from men.."
"Woman are more likely to be raped.."
"A woman cannot be raped by someone she is in a sexual relationship with.."
"Women often make false claims of being raped"
"A man is less responsible for rape if.."
"If a woman is raped..."
"A woman is more likely to accuse a man of rape if.."
"Your friend brags to you that he had sex with an underage girl.."
The Bedge
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League