University PHD Project - feel free to have your say

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: University PHD Project - feel free to have your say

by Q. » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 am

HH3 wrote:
morell wrote:Sure, the right to walk down a street and not feel like you're unsafe.

I don't feel safe walking down the street. I've had my head kicked in and my mouths still full of broken teeth.

They have the same rights I have to prosecute.

You're afraid of being bashed by a woman as you walk down the street?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

by amber_fluid » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:14 am

Q. wrote:
HH3 wrote:
morell wrote:Sure, the right to walk down a street and not feel like you're unsafe.

I don't feel safe walking down the street. I've had my head kicked in and my mouths still full of broken teeth.

Have you met him?
He just has one of them heads you like to.......... :lol:
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2514 times

by morell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:43 am

Q. wrote:
HH3 wrote:

This topic came up just last night. My GF and I walk our dogs around North Adelaide at night time, lovely spot. There are some dark parklands which I can walk through at night and feel reasonably safe. There is absolutely no way my girlfriend can…

Of course I sometimes feel unsafe when there are drunken louts about, so I actively avoid the City and other spots late at night, but we’re talking 8pm on a Wednesday. And yes men are victims sometimes too, but for a lot of women it’s an almost constant concern when alone. **** that. Don’t know how they do it to be honest I’d give up and move to a one person island.

It’s hard to see the privilege when you have it.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

by woodublieve12 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:52 am

Me doing that survey

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

by MW » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:55 am

I can't remember the last time I felt uncomfortable walking down the street.
Would I feel comfortable with my wife and daughters walk down the same street by themselves. No.

Like it or not, they are more likely to be attacked than a 6'2" 88kg male who can('t) defend themselves.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

by HH3 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:02 am

Q. wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Are you insinuated a woman couldn't assault a man? That's pretty sexist.

Everyone has the same legal rights when it come's to assault.

Everyone has the same legal rights when it comes to salary. There has to be room for contract negotiations, different pay for different roles, higher pay for more experience or education in a single field.

Female professors at Ivy league colleges have actually tried to find evidence of a "gender pay gap" where females are being paid less for the exact same job in the same companies, and have come up with very few examples. There are men that are paid less for the same job than women in some places. Crazy hey?

I suggest that if you know of a woman being underpaid in comparison to a male in the same position, you tell her she should report it and seek legal action, as it is illegal, and she already has the right to fair pay.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

by Q. » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:04 am

HH3 wrote:
Q. wrote:
HH3 wrote:

Are you insinuated a woman couldn't assault a man? That's pretty sexist.

I'm insinuating that men are the main perpetrators of violence.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

by HH3 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:07 am

morell wrote:
Q. wrote:
HH3 wrote:

This topic came up just last night. My GF and I walk our dogs around North Adelaide at night time, lovely spot. There are some dark parklands which I can walk through at night and feel reasonably safe. There is absolutely no way my girlfriend can…

Of course I sometimes feel unsafe when there are drunken louts about, so I actively avoid the City and other spots late at night, but we’re talking 8pm on a Wednesday. And yes men are victims sometimes too, but for a lot of women it’s an almost constant concern when alone. **** that. Don’t know how they do it to be honest I’d give up and move to a one person island.

It’s hard to see the privilege when you have it.

That's all true. But no one is going to stop some nut job from assaulting women by telling him she has the right not to be assaulted.

Legally speaking, rights are as equal as they can get.

Fighting for moral rights is all well and good, but useless in practice.

EDIT: Useless is a strong word. What I mean is assaults on females will never go away. There's always gonna be nut jobs doing what they want, no matter what people tell them.

Educations good, but you need to have a solution, not just tell people there's a problem.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

by morell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:13 am

HH3 wrote:Are you insinuated a woman couldn't assault a man? That's pretty sexist.
I think he was insinuating that it very rarely happens, whereas women are literally being murdered by the score in this country. By Men.

71 in 2016. That's more than one a week.

For men, 1 in 20 are victims of domestic violence
For women, 1 in 8.

Surely you can see that Domestic Violence is more of a concern for a Woman than a Man. Not to say it doesn't happen, buts its entrenched and systemic, rather than ad hoc.

HH3 wrote:Everyone has the same legal rights when it comes to salary. There has to be room for contract negotiations, different pay for different roles, higher pay for more experience or education in a single field.

Female professors at Ivy league colleges have actually tried to find evidence of a "gender pay gap" where females are being paid less for the exact same job in the same companies, and have come up with very few examples. There are men that are paid less for the same job than women in some places. Crazy hey?

I suggest that if you know of a woman being underpaid in comparison to a male in the same position, you tell her she should report it and seek legal action, as it is illegal, and she already has the right to fair pay.
The pay gap is often debated - you'll get the MRA types and spreadsheet boffins argue that once you correct for this and that and remove this variable and this metric ... oh hey look there isn't a gap!! How preposterous. The argument is about why those factors cause a pay gap, not that they don't exist.

Of course a female lawyer is paid the same as a male lawyer. Of course a role requiring a Tafe cert 3 in book keeping shouldn't be paid the same as a job requiring 7 years of medical study. That's not what is about - instead focus on how we undervalue work if a woman does it and why we punish Women for choosing things we expect them to through societal norms.

For example, when Men migrate into Female dominated roles, pay goes up, when Women migrate into Male dominated roles, pay goes down. Why?
morell
Coach

by The Bedge » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 am

So much good footy related discussion in here.. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

by morell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:18 am

HH3 wrote:That's all true. But no one is going to stop some nut job from assaulting women by telling him she has the right not to be assaulted.
That's the thing, they're often not nut jobs at all, they're your mate or brother or dude you went to school with.

What we can do is educate Men and boys, about respect, tolerance, femininity and masculinity so that the seeds aren't sown.

For example, I cop it on here...

Why is "Morgans a girls name" considered derogatory? (I happen to not find it offensive at all)

HH3 wrote:What I mean is assaults on females will never go away. There's always gonna be nut jobs doing what they want, no matter what people tell them.

Educations good, but you need to have a solution, not just tell people there's a problem.
You see I think this is defeatist and just assumes Men are neanderthal knuckle draggers that cant help themselves.

We're better than that. We can and should do better.
morell
Coach

by HH3 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:30 am

In regards to the pay gap. if any of those examples happen, the female has the right to challenge it, and take legal action. What more can be done about prejudices in individual workplaces?

In relation to assaults and murders - what's the solution? We know it happens. We know who does it. What can we do about it? Saying people have the "right" does nothing. Might as well hashtag it and pray for it. We need a solution.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

by MW » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:35 am

That's a very simplistic view
MW
Coach

by HH3 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:38 am

MW wrote:That's a very simplistic view

That we need a solution?

So just talking in circles with no conclusion other than "it's a thing and needs to stop" is the answer?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

by MW » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:41 am

HH3 wrote:In regards to the pay gap. if any of those examples happen, the female has the right to challenge it, and take legal action. What more can be done about prejudices in individual workplaces?

In relation to assaults and murders - what's the solution? We know it happens. We know who does it. What can we do about it? Saying people have the "right" does nothing. Might as well hashtag it and pray for it. We need a solution.

This part. Easier said than done.
MW
Coach

by HH3 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:44 am

MW wrote:
HH3 wrote:In regards to the pay gap. if any of those examples happen, the female has the right to challenge it, and take legal action. What more can be done about prejudices in individual workplaces?

This part. Easier said than done.

They have the rights. That's my point. All anyone can do to influence people to do the right thing is to make doing the wrong thing have a penalty attached to it. In the civilised world, you have to prove someone has done something wrong, and not just accuse. So the legal system needs to be used.

Threat of legal action would already deter companies from even trying to underpay already. The ones that actually do break the law need to be prosecuted.

Women already have the rights they are complaining about not having in relation to pay.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

by morell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:46 am

They're cultural issues with Western society which are difficult to measure, let alone prove and resolve.

Education, awareness, education, education. More education. Then some education.

Which is why I am glad this survey is being done, but am disappointed with the execution.

HH3 wrote:In relation to assaults and murders - what's the solution? We know it happens. We know who does it. What can we do about it? Saying people have the "right" does nothing. Might as well hashtag it and pray for it. We need a solution.
The solution is teaching young Men and boys about respect for Women and girls. And what femininity and masculinity really mean.

It all starts from there. A lack of respect for Women is the seed that if watered with the wrong set of ingredients, you can get domestic violence.

So sure, absolutely aim to minimise those contributing factors (poor mental health, substance abuse, poverty et al) but it all starts with a lack of respect for women and girls and the value they provide.

So it might seem like "political correctness gone mad" but it's important we teach and educate our kids that "throws like girl" and "pussy" and "bossy" and sexist jokes and so on aren't acceptable.
morell
Coach

by HH3 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:14 am

Of course racism exists. But championing for equal rights is a wrong, because the rights are there. People still need to stick up for themselves and exercise those rights.

People should be educated on how to make sure their rights aren't impinged. Instead, they're being told they have no rights and need to fight an imaginary fight.

There are always going to be bigots, racists, sexists, rapists, etc. We're humans. Humans can be pieces of shit. You can't educate someone that doesn't want to be educated.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

by morell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:29 am

Yeah that was a poor analogy on my behalf.

I suppose I see merit in trying to be proactive, rather than just relying on the legal system once a crime has already occurred.

I have more faith in humanity, I guess.
morell
Coach

by HH3 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:03 pm

I see where you're coming from. But I don't see the world like that.

Humans are selfish, and I don't see a time where people won't be c**ts to each other. There's no stopping things happening altogether. All you can do is deter people with forms of punishment.

Also, educating people how to protect their rights would be more important in my mind than demanding, or educating, with the end of goal being provided a safe space or Utopia, because that's an unrealistic goal.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League