Finals Fixturing - the last word from the big cheese

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Finals Fixturing - the last word from the big cheese

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:05 pm

Looks like someone has been reading these forums intently over the last few days....

Please read and take note so i don't have to continue to hear everyones whinging ;)

From "The Update":

There seems to be some residual confusion if not lack of understanding over the principles of scheduling B and C grade matches so it’s opportune to clear it up.

Clearly A grade and the highest rank A Grade team get priority as per Rules and Regulations.

Multi team clubs then get priority to assist with volunteers (yes, priority over a club with one team running around even if the premiership ladder suggests the C grade team should enjoy a home final)

But then there are problems we just can’t get around even for clubs with multi teams. Henley for example, quite rightly get priority this week at Henley because a) Henley A grade is the highest rank team but b) Henley B and C grade are all home anyway - that means Athelstone are at the mercy of the draw if not common sense being split 2 ways. If we consolidated the Old Ignatius teams to two grounds who are currently being split 3 ways, it means Athelstone would then be split 3 ways. But Athelstone outrank Iggies so it’s the best of a bad situation for all.

Modbury and North Haven in C4 are at Modbury because either way they’re not affected because they have no other team playing
Golden Grove were given the green light on keeping their C grade at home because they haven’t played triple headers all year but they were offered the chance to go to Pedlar so their club is all in the one spot. They (GG) declined that offer. Their C grade opposition have no say due to being a stand-alone team at least for that day. If GG choose a home final over rationalisation of volunteers, that’s their business and we don’t question it.

Given the residual effect of rain in the last fortnight, we also ask clubs if they’d prefer to have a stand-alone A grade match to preserve their oval. Last week Seaton assumed that option. This week Payneham Norwood Union took an offer to have their C6 team playing in a Preliminary home final as the curtain raiser to the Div. 1 Elimination Final rather than a triple header meaning Goodwood v Rocs in the B and C1 grades are at Goodwood.

When we offer this option we also point out some considerations based on previous experiences i.e. the following is a sample of a letter sent to some clubs in the last week
Sample

Hi guys. We’re dabbling with a thought that may ultimately be determined by you with respect to the curtain raisers this Saturday.

Neither of the B or C grade teams have any affiliation with either A grade team. If there is any suggestion that the expected rain for the balance of this week will play a role in deteriorating your oval and not at all cope with a triple header, only you will know.

What you’d need to weigh up but not limited to is:

1. Oval condition if you have to come back the next week
2. No pre-match atmosphere (this is very noticeable)
3. Reduction in attendance
4. Loss of Income from smaller attendance.
5. Your A grade coach might say he’d rather play the opposition in the slush
6. He might say he’d rather have a faster track
7. The alternative venue would probably pay a share of you home final fee (60/40)
8. It’s a winter sport and it is what it is.

Either way let us know and if it stays as is, then so be it.

All that said, If it were up to us we’d schedule it as per gradings. Its certainly easier for The League to have umpires consolidated so it’s no skin off The League’s nose whatsoever if clubs would like The League to apply rigid terms and conditions for finals fixturing but be careful what you wish for.

At the mid-year GC meeting, clubs told The League to pair B and C grade finals at the same ground or at least the general vicinity (e.g. Athelstone for PHOS/Henley) to alleviate strain on volunteer and B/C grade finals get what they get unless neither club is affected by the draw so that’s what we’re doing and it really is that simple. What doesn’t work in your favour this year could be the opposite in another finals campaign.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Re: Finals Fixturing - the last word from the big cheese

Postby The Bedge » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Looks like someone has been reading these forums intently over the last few days....

Closet fan.

I gave up reading after a couple lines, too many words.. If i was JK I would've just said "I'm the big cheese, fixtures are way they are coz i said so" 8)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby locky801 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:50 pm

Glad only have an U18 G/F to worry about ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby S Demon » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:51 pm

I can understand the scheduling of the games, doesn't mean I have to like it. There was no mention however of clubs hosting home finals having to comply with the rules and regulations associated with hosting...

For example:
-There shall be reasonable facilities provided for spectators.
-Shall fulfil The League’s obligations to its major sponsors.
-The venue shall exclusively supply SABC beers for this event
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:28 pm

S Demon wrote:I can understand the scheduling of the games, doesn't mean I have to like it. There was no mention however of clubs hosting home finals having to comply with the rules and regulations associated with hosting...

For example:
-There shall be reasonable facilities provided for spectators.
-Shall fulfil The League’s obligations to its major sponsors.
-The venue shall exclusively supply SABC beers for this event

Club in question has lost their right to a home final if you look at the fixture.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Pag » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:40 pm

I think head office deal with the issue quite logically.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby Sass! » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:00 am

Pag wrote:I think head office deal with the issue quite logically.

We (Modbury) finished top in C1's by a couple games and are now likely to play at Campbelltown against ROC's in a triple header with their A's and B's to follow, we would love to host the final at Modbury at around 12/1pm to allow our fans to travel back from the C4 grandfinal at Alberton but know that A grade will usually dictate where the lower grades play.

Its swings and roundabouts really, i know when i played reserves we would often get a home final after finishing third or fifth as we followed our A's..
Sass!
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League