SANFL Junior codes

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: AdFl Junior codes

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 25, 2018 10:59 am

One of the reasons we all love footy, brings people together in troubled times
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby beef » Fri May 25, 2018 11:00 am

There is a lot of real good people and clubs in junior footy but it's always the bad that gets the attention. Good work
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 25, 2018 11:01 am

beef wrote:There is a lot of real good people and clubs in junior footy but it's always the bad that gets the attention. Good work

Come on beef, give out your maiden like! You know you wanna :D
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby locky801 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Using the words of Bruce, "Thats something very special.

well done to all involved :D
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon May 28, 2018 11:20 am

Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Executive Member » Mon May 28, 2018 11:30 am

The Bedge wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-28/upsee-footy-boy-cerebral-palsy/9806358

delete the rest of the crap on this forum and just leave that up
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Footy Smart » Mon May 28, 2018 12:48 pm

Heard a young TTG player (i think U18) had a medical emergency on Sunday and is in the RAH ICU currently. Hoping for a positive outcome and speedy recovery for the young fella.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby locky801 » Mon May 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Footy Smart wrote:Heard a young TTG player (i think U18) had a medical emergency on Sunday and is in the RAH ICU currently. Hoping for a positive outcome and speedy recovery for the young fella.

Terrible news, hope as stated a speedy recovery, thoughts to all involved, family friends, clubmates and opposition players, something like this affects all
locky801
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 11:29 am

I find it pretty strange that for the first time I can ever think of the kids are scheduled to play games on the June long weekend.

We've got one family driving down from Loveday smack bang in the middle of their getaway.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Wed May 30, 2018 11:38 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I find it pretty strange that for the first time I can ever think of the kids are scheduled to play games on the June long weekend.

We've got one family driving down from Loveday smack bang in the middle of their getaway.

Never happened in the 10 or so years i was involved in Junior footy, is strange as the seniors have the weekend off
locky801
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 30, 2018 11:41 am

locky801 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I find it pretty strange that for the first time I can ever think of the kids are scheduled to play games on the June long weekend.

Never happened in the 10 or so years i was involved in Junior footy, is strange as the seniors have the weekend off

I got a shock when I found out our kids are playing on that weekend, even worse that have plans Saturday night and have to be at Elizabeth Sunday morning for a 9am game. :(

Maybe it's because they schedule breaks for juniors over the school holidays and don't want too many weeks off?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 11:43 am

locky801 wrote:

Yep, I've been around the system since 1999 and this is the first time ever.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby S Demon » Wed May 30, 2018 11:45 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
locky801 wrote:

Yep, I've been around the system since 1999 and this is the first time ever.

I reckon there will be quite a few forfeits. Teams right on the cusp with numbers only have to lose 4-5 and its all over for that game at least
S Demon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 370 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 11:46 am

The Bedge wrote:
locky801 wrote:

I got a shock when I found out our kids are playing on that weekend, even worse that have plans Saturday night and have to be at Elizabeth Sunday morning for a 9am game. :(

Maybe it's because they schedule breaks for juniors over the school holidays and don't want too many weeks off?

They do every other year too mate, always the June long weekend and the middle weekend of the school holidays, a tad disrespectful IMO, it's only kids footy and parents shouldn't have to choose between going away or not letting their kids team mates down.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 11:47 am

S Demon wrote:I reckon there will be quite a few forfeits. Teams right on the cusp with numbers only have to lose 4-5 and its all over for that game at least

Absolutely, even some coaches would probably had penciled in a getaway.

Is this the 2nd year of everyone being under the SANFL umbrella? Perhaps no one told them that it's taboo?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Wed May 30, 2018 12:53 pm

The SANFL Juniors put out a season calendar late last year that indicated there would be games on June long weekend in exchange for having 2 weekends off in the July school holidays rather than the usual 1 week off in July in addition to the typical June long weekend BYE.

Apparently July school holidays have presented a bigger problem for clubs in recent years, even in leagues pre-SANFL Juniors, particularly with some of the older age groups because several colleges have a 3 week break for July school holidays these days. So clubs have always appreciated the middle weekend of the July school holidays as a BYE but many clubs were also having player availability issues with the next Sunday.

So rather than having 1 week off in June and 1 week off in July the SANFL Juniors decided to run with 2 weeks off in July and play on the June long weekend. Problem was they didn't sell this message very strongly and many clubs weren't really aware or just didn't communicate with parents about the 2018 programming. The SANFL Juniors have gone into a bit of damage control and put out messages about this decision but felt it was too late to change and matches will proceed on Sunday week.

But where do you draw the line with how short the season ends up being. In my opinion it starts too late (last Sunday in April) due to the April school holidays and with 2 weeks off (either June and July or both July) means the comps with finals are almost playing too late into September. This isn't school sport, it is club based competition. If you decide to go away, so be it - but should a club based competition have to bend over for school holidays. Alternatively, teach your kid about commitment. "Yes we are still going to have a holiday but we are leaving on a Monday and returning on the Saturday so you don't miss any footy".

In many cases the clubs will still have enough players but they may be missing some of their "star" players. Therein lies part of the issue. Some clubs and coaches playing for sheep stations are just worried about losing because 2 of their star players are away.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 1:10 pm

It wont be the "star" players missing, it will be the half a dozen little Johnny's who don't have the same enthusiasm as the better kids.

I think one week off in the July holidays is ample and sorry but family comes first, if a family wishes to take a vacation to a warmer climate in July then it has nothing to do with teaching your kid about commitment so they shouldn't have to cut their holiday short, half the expense generally is the travel, that's what trainings and early nights pre-game are all about and we should be encouraging our kids to be kids while they still are, there's plenty of time and other area's to teach them commitment.

My wife is heading interstate for the long weekend but now I'm going to stay so I can take my kids to their games.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed May 30, 2018 1:45 pm

This has been a strange experience being involved with SANFL Juniors for the first time. The long weekend game is unusual but manageable, but the need for weeks off during school holidays - WTF?

Even more strange was that we proposed rescheduling our game due to be played just before the school holiday break to one of the break weeks (due to ground unavailability) and were told that no games were permitted, even if both clubs agreed.

Different leagues work in different ways but this is one of the more curious things I have experienced.

Play through the holidays, either the players want to play or they don't.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Down the Hill » Wed May 30, 2018 1:56 pm

The fixture structure for first the 2 years of the SANFL Juniors was no different to the practices of the 3 former district junior leagues that were in place for may years i.e. commence the season on the last Sunday of April school holidays and have a week off for June long weekend and the middle week of July school holidays. It's only this year (3rd year of SANFL Juniors) they have decided to do things a bit different. I somehow suspect next year will return to how things were.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:This has been a strange experience being involved with SANFL Juniors for the first time. The long weekend game is unusual but manageable, but the need for weeks off during school holidays - WTF?

Even more strange was that we proposed rescheduling our game due to be played just before the school holiday break to one of the break weeks (due to ground unavailability) and were told that no games were permitted, even if both clubs agreed.

Different leagues work in different ways but this is one of the more curious things I have experienced.

Play through the holidays, either the players want to play or they don't.

not really up to the kids if the family chooses to go away.

In my instance, we have family that live interstate and are always asking for the kids to go stay there during school holidays, the break works well for us.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League