SANFL Junior codes

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: AdFl Junior codes

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 30, 2018 1:58 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:In my instance, we have family that live interstate and are always asking for the kids to go stay there during school holidays, the break works well for us.

Same here.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 1:59 pm

Down the Hill wrote:The fixture structure for first the 2 years of the SANFL Juniors was no different to the practices of the 3 former district junior leagues that were in place for may years i.e. commence the season on the last Sunday of April school holidays and have a week off for June long weekend and the middle week of July school holidays. It's only this year (3rd year of SANFL Juniors) they have decided to do things a bit different. I somehow suspect next year will return to how things were.

Yep, everyone at my lad's game thought it was an error that would fix itself by next weekend, we're playing the top team at their ground so we'll need all hands on deck to be competitive.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed May 30, 2018 2:17 pm

Therein lies part of your beef LM. Our club has been aware of this since late 2017. We questioned the merit of the decision with the league but was told it was one or the other and that they are committed to run with no June break and 2 weeks off in July then reassess for 2019. So we communicated it with parents since before the 2018 season commenced. Yes there are a few who still aren't happy with a game fixtured for next weekend but at least they have known for a long time. You should be directing your frustration at your club's junior administrators for not making this clear to coaches and parents long ago.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed May 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Regardless of the knowledge of it or not, I picked up on it when the draw came out but I still don't agree that they should be playing, now I unfortunately have to spend the long weekend lounging around the house, a possible pub visit and round of golf instead of travelling interstate to spend 5 days visiting the inlaws.

Just to top it off, work asked me if I want next Friday off too.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Ash Man » Wed May 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
S Demon wrote:I reckon there will be quite a few forfeits. Teams right on the cusp with numbers only have to lose 4-5 and its all over for that game at least

Absolutely, even some coaches would probably had penciled in a getaway.

Is this the 2nd year of everyone being under the SANFL umbrella? Perhaps no one told them that it's taboo?

My Under 6s got the bye that week.
I was very happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby The Bedge » Wed May 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Last edited by The Bedge on Thu May 31, 2018 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby heater31 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:57 pm

The Bedge wrote:Why didn't the SANFL just move all their junior games to Friday night/Saturday given there are no senior comps being played, then families could still go away Sat arvo/evening and enjoy the weekend? (*)

(*) - Denotes not my original thought/question, was posed to me by someone less good looking.
Surely the sought some advice of member clubs before deciding to change?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Brodlach » Wed May 30, 2018 7:28 pm

Last week we had a game on Friday night Colonel Light Gardena to Tea Tree Gully in peak hour. That was fun.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 30, 2018 11:46 pm

Seems strange, June Long weekend has always been a welcome break from footy for all clubs/levels. I've always found it strange how late SANFL Juniors starts and how early it finishes.

July is tough to get teams up, however have found it is more due to sickness and injuries in middle of winter rather than holidays.

In recent times we have had a few juniors play for us [that don't live in our area] on a Sat and then their metro club on a Sunday as they feel they don't get enough footy in SANFL juniors, I'm surprised more don't do this in SFL/HFL/BL&G, in particular non-college kids.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 31, 2018 8:58 am

Brodlach wrote:Last week we had a game on Friday night Colonel Light Gardena to Tea Tree Gully in peak hour. That was fun.

The 6:10 @ PNU on a Friday night is always fun for the northerners.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Last week we had a game on Friday night Colonel Light Gardena to Tea Tree Gully in peak hour. That was fun.

The 6:10 @ PNU on a Friday night is always fun for the northerners.

why, unless you are driving on the wrong side of the road, the traffic should be heading North not South ;)
Executive Member
Veteran

Been liked: 140 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 31, 2018 9:22 am

Executive Member wrote:
why, unless you are driving on the wrong side of the road, the traffic should be heading North not South ;)

Seemingly, once you get to GJ you're stuffed no matter which route you take.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Ash Man » Thu May 31, 2018 11:06 am

Dutchy wrote:Seems strange, June Long weekend has always been a welcome break from footy for all clubs/levels. I've always found it strange how late SANFL Juniors starts and how early it finishes.

July is tough to get teams up, however have found it is more due to sickness and injuries in middle of winter rather than holidays.

In recent times we have had a few juniors play for us [that don't live in our area] on a Sat and then their metro club on a Sunday as they feel they don't get enough footy in SANFL juniors, I'm surprised more don't do this in SFL/HFL/BL&G, in particular non-college kids.

What do you mean they don't get enough footy in SANFL Juniors?
The Ash Man
Coach

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 260 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 31, 2018 12:07 pm

You play around 14 games plus 3 weeks of finals right?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 31, 2018 12:20 pm

Dutchy wrote:You play around 14 games plus 3 weeks of finals right?

15 I think, plus 3.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 31, 2018 12:39 pm

Could still eek an extra two rounds out and finish before the school holidays in September.

When teams are at capacity with 28 kids and they have a roster system the extra rounds are very helpful.

My lad's team had 6 sitting out each week last year, it was annoying for him knowing he's missing a game every 4 or 5 weeks, some kids seemed to miss more than others though, we did lose a few along the way but they still took more in, a bit of greed IMO.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 31, 2018 12:45 pm

SFL last year as a comparison was 18 games plus 4 weeks of finals.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 31, 2018 1:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:SFL last year as a comparison was 18 games plus 4 weeks of finals.

Do they play before the seniors?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Thu May 31, 2018 1:08 pm

But the SFL junior program at least for U13/15/17.5 is dictated by the senior program. I recall SFL Mini's is only 13-14 rounds with a carnival at the end of season. SANFL Juniors is 15 rounds for all grades plus finals for U12 to U16.5.

But Dutchy, the SFL is very much shielded from the college football system not to mention a flagging primary school footy system in the south so alot of the SFL juniors only have the option of playing club footy. The reality of the inner to mid Adelaide metropolitan area and the clubs in those areas is the amount of junior players who play both school and club footy which already gives them 25 to 30 games of footy every winter.

Grand Final Day for SANFL Juniors last year was the week before SANFL GF day so the season can't go any longer. The real issue is whether the season (at least for the older age groups) should start a little earlier without worrying about the April school holidays. But if people aren't happy playing on QB long weekend and still happy to have a break for July school holidays then I can't see parent and club attitudes changing with not commencing the season until the last Sunday in April.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Dutchy » Thu May 31, 2018 1:15 pm

Not going to go into the College v club argument again DTH but the schools (inc SH) have been very accommodating this year in releasing their kids for big club games.

There isn't a public high school competition (unless I don't know about it) so non college kids are reliant on the SANFL juniors for their footy, hence we had a kid from Flinders Park play all year with us last year on a Sat and they front up for them on a Sunday, Im sure this happens in the HFL and BL&G under the dual permit system also.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League