Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2019

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 7 - 2019

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:22 am

The Big Shrek wrote:Broken jaw, wasn’t the most forceful looking punch, not looking at him when he threw it:8-10 in my view.

On the money there Shrek, I'd say the fact that he wasn't looking saved him, but putting him close to the edge to realize how dangerous it was.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:30 am

jo172 wrote:If the same act happened in the clubrooms at the bar after the game you'd be worried about jail time.

Instead he'll be lining up in Round 1 next year.

Strange.

Wouldn’t be worried about jail with me as his lawyer.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:32 am

The Big Shrek wrote:
jo172 wrote:If the same act happened in the clubrooms at the bar after the game you'd be worried about jail time.

Instead he'll be lining up in Round 1 next year.

Strange.

Wouldn’t be worried about jail with me as his lawyer.

Would still most likely be convicted of assault charges which would sit on his criminal record.

Genuine question as I don't know the answer but what is the injured player able to claim, does his playing insurance cover this or is it his responsibility to have his own income protection.

If it was off the sporting field could he claim victim of crime and be compensated for loss of income etc if there is any.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:51 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Unassuming guy that no one has even heard of, let alone have any prior form, does a stupid thing and gets 10 games - I'd say that the prospect of him never playing in Adelaide again is deterrent enough if it was indeed out of character.

I don't think he'll have another brain fart, he would be genuinely remorseful and hating himself right now, at the same time relieved that he is still allowed to play.

Im not sure how you can say that with any confidence.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2321 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:22 am

Dutchy wrote:

There's only one person in this world that I trust so obviously I don't have 100% confidence in someone else's actions or how their brain functions.

I can only go by playing cricket against him several times, he has always come across as a very level headed lad who'd hate to deliberately hurt someone.

He's relatively sharp on his day and a tad erratic, I've seen him hit someone in the ribs with a ball and was the first to ask if he was alright.

I'm by no way defending his actions, I did find it extremely surprising learning that it was him.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:27 am

The Mawson Lakes player hasn't been rubbed out for the season. Even with the fixture nuances after Round 14, I believe there are still 9 minor round games remaining in Div 7 so he could be back for Mawson Lakes 2nd final. They are currently sitting 2nd so a good chance they will play at least one final. And that 2nd final could potentially be against the Units. 9 games, 14 goals, and 4 times in best, would indicate he is an automatic selection once available.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby marbles » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:44 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

There's only one person in this world that I trust so obviously I don't have 100% confidence in someone else's actions or how their brain functions.

I can only go by playing cricket against him several times, he has always come across as a very level headed lad who'd hate to deliberately hurt someone.

He's relatively sharp on his day and a tad erratic, I've seen him hit someone in the ribs with a ball and was the first to ask if he was alright.

I'm by no way defending his actions, I did find it extremely surprising learning that it was him.

43677192_1948169011898154_2553659817579249664_o.jpg
43677192_1948169011898154_2553659817579249664_o.jpg (15.95 KiB) Viewed 2204 times
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:58 am

OK.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby morell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:19 pm

To compare off the field incidents with on the field is really quite spurious. Completely different scenarios and they require different judgements.

Looking at incidents that happen whilst playing football through a civil lense is also a very slippery slope. Who defines what is and is not a reasonable transgression to have occurred? A high elbow like Bickley on Wakelin? What about a Choppy Picket bump? We had a really serious incident on the weekend where Nat ended up in hospital because of a dangerous hit. Turns out the kid was brand new to footy and was just unco. If he copped a conviction of any kind it would be manifestly unfair.

Context is really important in other words and in this scenario the tribunal got it exactly right IMO.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:33 pm

morell wrote:To compare off the field incidents with on the field is really quite spurious. Completely different scenarios and they require different judgements.

Looking at incidents that happen whilst playing football through a civil lense is also a very slippery slope. Who defines what is and is not a reasonable transgression to have occurred? A high elbow like Bickley on Wakelin? What about a Choppy Picket bump? We had a really serious incident on the weekend where Nat ended up in hospital because of a dangerous hit. Turns out the kid was brand new to footy and was just unco. If he copped a conviction of any kind it would be manifestly unfair.

Context is really important in other words and in this scenario the tribunal got it exactly right IMO.

I get what your saying but in the same sense you cant sit there and say a blokes only punishment for coward punching a plapyer behind play, not looking is 10 weeks off an amateur sport is adequate. Especially when the victim will have much longer lasting damage both physically and mentally.

There is more than enough suitably qualified people to make judgements on whether an incident is a legitimate sporting incident or non sporting incident. Essentially amateur tribunals are making these type judgements on a weekly basis anyway.

Who are the tribunal? Should they have the power to decide the fate of an very clear assault as the one on the weekend.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:35 pm

morell wrote:To compare off the field incidents with on the field is really quite spurious. Completely different scenarios and they require different judgements..

Disagree in the circumstances where the incident is behind play.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:37 pm

jo172 wrote:
morell wrote:To compare off the field incidents with on the field is really quite spurious. Completely different scenarios and they require different judgements..

Disagree in the circumstances where the incident is behind play.

Agree, we have seen this week the SMOSH bloke get 6 weeks. I think 90% of people would agree that was a sporting incident, clumsy, high, reckless, dangerous but essential it was a sporting act gone wrong.

I would now also think that 99.9% of people would say the Mawson Lake incident was at no point a sporting incident and nothing more than an assault.

Now im no rocket scientist but I think the majority of people would be pretty happy if someone had ruled those assessments of the two incidents from the weekend.

Same as the Seaton/Broadview incident earlier in the year. Once again 90% of people would agree his assault after being given holding the ball was not a sporting act.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Off The Wall » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:40 pm

morell wrote:To compare off the field incidents with on the field is really quite spurious. Completely different scenarios and they require different judgements.

A punch is a punch, whether you are on the field or not. Its a choice made and not in anyway part of the game, hence why the discussion in this scenario can be linked to those that receive jail time for similar indiscretions .

The other circumstances you listed are open for debate, as they are more in the context of the game and not likely something you would see someone do off the field either.
Off The Wall
Under 16s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:40 pm

Down the Hill wrote:The Mawson Lakes player hasn't been rubbed out for the season. Even with the fixture nuances after Round 14, I believe there are still 9 minor round games remaining in Div 7 so he could be back for Mawson Lakes 2nd final. They are currently sitting 2nd so a good chance they will play at least one final. And that 2nd final could potentially be against the Units. 9 games, 14 goals, and 4 times in best, would indicate he is an automatic selection once available.

So he can be a premiership player in less than 90 days time, that would not be a great look.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2321 times
Been liked: 3495 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:42 pm

The comparisons to things like Pickett bumping someone are also beside the point.

People don't run down Hindley Street bumping people's head when they're trying to pick up their wallets.

People do throw punches at people looking the other way. There is a clear obvious comparison to be made.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:42 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:The Mawson Lakes player hasn't been rubbed out for the season. Even with the fixture nuances after Round 14, I believe there are still 9 minor round games remaining in Div 7 so he could be back for Mawson Lakes 2nd final. They are currently sitting 2nd so a good chance they will play at least one final. And that 2nd final could potentially be against the Units. 9 games, 14 goals, and 4 times in best, would indicate he is an automatic selection once available.

So he can be a premiership player in less than 90 days time, that would not be a great look.

Jaideyn Stephenson rule.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Minimum Chips » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:44 pm

Dutchy wrote:

...and considering the victim's probably out for the season and will miss playing finals (if Centrals make it).
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Backintheday » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:12 pm

If the league are serious about stamping out thuggery, a deliberate hit from behind and the injuries incurred is 12 weeks. Regardless of history. Go play somewhere else mate.
Backintheday
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:35 pm

Backintheday wrote:If the league are serious about stamping out thuggery, a deliberate hit from behind and the injuries incurred is 12 weeks. Regardless of history. Go play somewhere else mate.

:lol: You comment is kind of funny given the constant criticism and abuse the league have copped over recent years for being too severe and harsh on penalties.

So they're too hard & serious one minute.. not serious and hard enough the next? :-?

Guess it depends on where you stand.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:43 pm

I've also heard plenty of comments like "If he was from Salisbury West or North he would've got double..."

Let's review the last suspension from SW:
Jones received three suspensions for striking, one for 10 weeks (by knee), a second for six weeks (by knee) and a third for an elbow. He also received three games for attempting to trip, while a stomping charge was dismissed.

10 weeks for a knee to the face of the TOS player which broke his jaw.. same same if you ask me.. might even use the word consistent.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League