Adelaide Footy League - Heat Policy

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Adelaide Footy League - Heat Policy

Postby Moe » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:48 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:We were training indoors last night. I decided to go out and do some running then about 9 or so joined in. Did 10 x 200m sticking to the side of the oval in shade. It wasn't that hot.

Sure one night probably won't make a difference, but people with that attitude tend to have many 'one nights" a year. Consistency is the key to anything fitness related. I think it's important to get into the habit of getting to the club and achieving something.

To be honest if you can't get some kind of training in on a hot day you're just making excuses.

Quote of the year, thus far
Moe
League - Best 21

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 91 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Re: Adelaide Footy League - Heat Policy

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:38 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:The debate about "soft" and making people (who are generally *ahem* unfit) train continues and will do so till the cows come home!

For us, we never trained footy when it was boiling hot - like today. Pre season in Feb just didn't exist. Nowadays making people train for footy in conditions like this is pretty dumb because of the extent footballers train.

I agree with the post above, the advantage you'll get from training in conditions like this is what? Has it been proven to add 5 goals to a game by training in these conditions? I actually don't know the answer, but till it's proven I wouldn't make it mandatory at all. Some clubs have decided to train. I note Adelaide (properly fit players, monitored to the 'nth' degree) decided to get off the track before it hit 40 this morning. I wouldn't have trained tonight if I were in charge of a club.

For me, we used to play and practice for cricket in this heat (probably not so extreme but I can't recall). I remember playing in at least 42/43 degrees mid summer and there was no heat policy. No one complained and no one died. Not that it's right, just saying that's what happened. I think if you do decide to play/train in this heat, it must be optional and clubs must have tolerance to those that don't. The liability still stays with the club however, hence their reasoning is solid if they decide to 'pull' training.

The massive problem I see is that we've conditioned our kids to bail out when it's 'hot'. Today was hot. When its 34, it's not 'hot'.

Tough and complex conversation but I support the SANFL's, the ATCA, NEJMCA and all other's policy in principal.

The heat policy in cricket was bought in mainly because someone did play and die in this heat going back around 10 years ago didn’t they? Bloke bowled a spell, went off for tea and sat under a tree where he went in to cardiac arrest. Even playing cricket in this heat is ludicrous unless you are a supremely fit athlete. How many times We used to play when it was 40 plus and you would feel like absolute dog shit for half the week following. It’s not right.

Yeh sorry, no one died during my stint in cricket, at my club or any of the clubs in my comp.

Re: FC's comment about 'cricket is played in summer'. Umm, not so much. They have a heat policy as well. My son who plays at 8.30 on a Sunday morning doesn't play if it's expected to be 36! Not saying he should, just saying there is a heat policy in place. Much needed if I may say so myself.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Previous

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League