Adelaide Footy League - Heat Policy

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Adelaide Footy League - Heat Policy

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:33 pm

From HQ:

Given the temperature today and the likelihood of more of the same over the preseason we thought it an ideal time to remind clubs of the Leagues Heat Procedures. Now while it doesn’t specifically deal with training it does give a guide to work to.

I am sure that most of you have already cancelled training tonight or made other suitable arrangements but for those of you who havnt I have attached the Leagues Heat Procedure. Please remember that player welfare should be paramount on days like today.

33 HEAT PROCEDURE

33.1 When the Adelaide metropolitan forecast temperature of the day of competition is 40°C or over, as specified by radio station 5AA at 8.00am on the morning of the match, all matches of The League scheduled for the day shall be cancelled.
33.2 In senior matches affected by Clause 33.1
(a) if another match or matches were played on a Friday or a Sunday in the same round as cancelled Saturday matches there shall be no Premiership Points or scores allocated for any matches played in this round.
(b) there shall be no Umpire’s votes allocated for The League’s Best and Fairest.
(c) a Category “A” or a Category “B” report by an Umpire from a match played shall still be lodged by the reporting Umpire(s) to The League.
(d) if a cancelled match which had been scheduled to be played either prior to or after a Saturday round of matches which were played may be re-scheduled provided both Member Clubs agree to the new time and location.
(e) if a match is not played in a round which Saturday matches were played, each team which did not play and which do not re-schedule to play such match shall be awarded one Premiership Point and their cancelled match shall be deemed a Draw.
(f) a cancelled match shall not be counted in a player’s total of matches played in The League.
33.3 When the forecast temperature of the day of competition is 38°C – 39°C, as specified by radio station 5AA at 8:00am on the morning of the match, the Heat Procedure shall apply.
33.4 The Heat Procedure also applies for trial matches involving a Member Club.
33.5 The Home Member Club shall be responsible to initiate the following Heat Procedure process
(a) the start of the Reserves or curtain raiser match is to be moved back 10 minutes to a 12.05pm start.
(b) the second match to start at its normal time of 2.15pm.
(i) if a match has been programmed to be played prior to the Reserves or curtain raiser match the match is to be moved back fifteen (15) minutes to a 10.00am start.
(c) the Home Member Club’s Timekeeper shall sound the siren at the fifteen (15) minute mark of each quarter to allow a two minute break for players to take fluids and cool down.
(d) the Timekeeper shall sound a warning siren after one (1) minute 30 seconds and a second siren after one (1) minute 45 seconds and play shall recommence exactly two (2) minutes after the break commenced.
(e) play shall recommence in the same location where it ceased at the onset of the break.
(f) during the two (2) minute break a non playing Coach is not permitted to enter the playing field.
33.6 If a subsequent cool change arrives after the Heat Procedure has been initiated, the match being playing may revert to normal playing Rules providing the two Captains agree to such terms.
33.7 On days when the Heat Procedure is applied the deadline for Member Club’s SportsTG responsibilities shall be 5.45pm.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Re: Adelaide Footy League - Heat Policy

Postby scottroo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:31 pm

You’d have to be stupid to be training tonight...
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Big Shrek » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Kilburn are training. We have an air conditioned gym though. Southern Eagles are training at the beach. If training was cancelled I'd still do something myself. No need to be soft.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby scottroo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:14 pm

I love how because it’s at the beach it’s acceptable to still train. It’s 44 at glenelg
scottroo
League - Best 21

Postby The Big Shrek » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Once you're in the water it's a bit different. Also the seabreeze usually kicks in by 6:30pm.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:40 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:Once you're in the water it's a bit different. Also the seabreeze usually kicks in by 6:30pm.

Yeah not tonight it wont.

It bemuses me that many players that are tradies will walk off the job as soon as it turns 35 because it's too hot but will still train.

Dopey bastards :lol:

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby scottroo » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:09 pm

A night swimming at the beach would give you absolutely zero advantage come round one.

Take the night off and have some beers...
scottroo
League - Best 21

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:19 pm

The debate about "soft" and making people (who are generally *ahem* unfit) train continues and will do so till the cows come home!

For us, we never trained footy when it was boiling hot - like today. Pre season in Feb just didn't exist. Nowadays making people train for footy in conditions like this is pretty dumb because of the extent footballers train.

I agree with the post above, the advantage you'll get from training in conditions like this is what? Has it been proven to add 5 goals to a game by training in these conditions? I actually don't know the answer, but till it's proven I wouldn't make it mandatory at all. Some clubs have decided to train. I note Adelaide (properly fit players, monitored to the 'nth' degree) decided to get off the track before it hit 40 this morning. I wouldn't have trained tonight if I were in charge of a club.

For me, we used to play and practice for cricket in this heat (probably not so extreme but I can't recall). I remember playing in at least 42/43 degrees mid summer and there was no heat policy. No one complained and no one died. Not that it's right, just saying that's what happened. I think if you do decide to play/train in this heat, it must be optional and clubs must have tolerance to those that don't. The liability still stays with the club however, hence their reasoning is solid if they decide to 'pull' training.

The massive problem I see is that we've conditioned our kids to bail out when it's 'hot'. Today was hot. When its 34, it's not 'hot'.

Tough and complex conversation but I support the SANFL's, the ATCA, NEJMCA and all other's policy in principal.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:03 pm

Cricket being a slightly different kettle of fish - you train in the heat and you play in the heat.

Footy is a winter sport, absolutely no benefit in training in 45c heat.

Modbury trained tonight - goal kicking apparently, I'll be watching their miraculous accuracy in front of goal with great interest in 2019, all due this one extra training session.

Footy Chick

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:28 am

gadj1976 wrote:The debate about "soft" and making people (who are generally *ahem* unfit) train continues and will do so till the cows come home!

For us, we never trained footy when it was boiling hot - like today. Pre season in Feb just didn't exist. Nowadays making people train for footy in conditions like this is pretty dumb because of the extent footballers train.

I agree with the post above, the advantage you'll get from training in conditions like this is what? Has it been proven to add 5 goals to a game by training in these conditions? I actually don't know the answer, but till it's proven I wouldn't make it mandatory at all. Some clubs have decided to train. I note Adelaide (properly fit players, monitored to the 'nth' degree) decided to get off the track before it hit 40 this morning. I wouldn't have trained tonight if I were in charge of a club.

For me, we used to play and practice for cricket in this heat (probably not so extreme but I can't recall). I remember playing in at least 42/43 degrees mid summer and there was no heat policy. No one complained and no one died. Not that it's right, just saying that's what happened. I think if you do decide to play/train in this heat, it must be optional and clubs must have tolerance to those that don't. The liability still stays with the club however, hence their reasoning is solid if they decide to 'pull' training.

The massive problem I see is that we've conditioned our kids to bail out when it's 'hot'. Today was hot. When its 34, it's not 'hot'.

Tough and complex conversation but I support the SANFL's, the ATCA, NEJMCA and all other's policy in principal.

The heat policy in cricket was bought in mainly because someone did play and die in this heat going back around 10 years ago didn’t they? Bloke bowled a spell, went off for tea and sat under a tree where he went in to cardiac arrest. Even playing cricket in this heat is ludicrous unless you are a supremely fit athlete. How many times We used to play when it was 40 plus and you would feel like absolute dog shit for half the week following. It’s not right.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:14 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:The heat policy in cricket was bought in mainly because someone did play and die in this heat going back around 10 years ago didn’t they? Bloke bowled a spell, went off for tea and sat under a tree where he went in to cardiac arrest. Even playing cricket in this heat is ludicrous unless you are a supremely fit athlete. How many times We used to play when it was 40 plus and you would feel like absolute dog shit for half the week following. It’s not right.

Already had a policy in place at that time, but yes someone did die - infact i think there were a few passed away within a very short period of time.

Training in extreme heat is just plain stupid, the risks outweigh the gains, especially in amateur clubs where players are unlikely to be heat stress savvy and wouldn't be taking in the required fluids to stay hydrated - before, during and after.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby jet-airport » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:47 am

The Bedge wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:The heat policy in cricket was bought in mainly because someone did play and die in this heat going back around 10 years ago didn’t they? Bloke bowled a spell, went off for tea and sat under a tree where he went in to cardiac arrest. Even playing cricket in this heat is ludicrous unless you are a supremely fit athlete. How many times We used to play when it was 40 plus and you would feel like absolute dog shit for half the week following. It’s not right.

Already had a policy in place at that time, but yes someone did die - infact i think there were a few passed away within a very short period of time.

Training in extreme heat is just plain stupid, the risks outweigh the gains, especially in amateur clubs where players are unlikely to be heat stress savvy and wouldn't be taking in the required fluids to stay hydrated - before, during and after.

Wouldn't put your son or daughters life in the hands of a coach, Trainer, or club official who thinks its ok to train in 44 degrees at 6.30 at night at the beach or on oval!!

Ridiculous at this level, but some do it!

I'm sure the ambulance paramedics have better and more important things to do than get a call out to treat a footy player with heat stroke / dehydration.
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Chappy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:59 am

I think Any training last night (other than maybe air con gym sesh) was just bloody stupid. In my opinion also shows the care the clubs have for their players also. If a session is needed why not Saturday morning like most clubs seem to be doing!
Chappy
Rookie

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Armchair expert » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:09 am

Only training that should have happened last night is have a few beers at the club rooms and watch the cricket, most teams probably have a few new guys good way to get to know them.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 382 times
Been liked: 1433 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Big Shrek » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:52 pm

We were training indoors last night. I decided to go out and do some running then about 9 or so joined in. Did 10 x 200m sticking to the side of the oval in shade. It wasn't that hot.

Sure one night probably won't make a difference, but people with that attitude tend to have many 'one nights" a year. Consistency is the key to anything fitness related. I think it's important to get into the habit of getting to the club and achieving something.

To be honest if you can't get some kind of training in on a hot day you're just making excuses.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:11 pm

Spose those with less talent like yourself have to work harder than the rest of us :P
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:25 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:e. It wasn't that hot.

It was still 45c at 8pm but ok....

Footy Chick

Postby Arch44 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:33 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Only training that should have happened last night is have a few beers at the club rooms and watch the cricket, most teams probably have a few new guys good way to get to know them.

I tried to get that happening at our cricket club, but was told by the community club we probably wont have anyone to run the bar because of the heat.
:shock:
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby The Big Shrek » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:44 pm

[quote="The Bedge"]Spose those with less talent like yourself have to work harder than the rest of us :P[/quote
That's right Bedge, less talent but more work = about 260 more A grade games than you
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:01 pm

The Big Shrek wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Spose those with less talent like yourself have to work harder than the rest of us :P[/quote
That's right Bedge, less talent but more work = about 260 more A grade games than you

... but whose counting right! :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League