Sacred heart under 18s forfeiting... bit of a shoc

Dizzies too wtaf
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Re: Under 18s

Postby Tony Clifton » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Why would an old scholars club have a junior team?

Isn't that what school football is for?
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby The Hound » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Think they are trying to build some depth in the club (although they seem to have forfeited the past 2 rounds) they have had a side for the past couple of years, no different to an old scholars club just down Brighton Road from them having an Under 18's.

Hats off for trying to build a development system from within.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby LovesHisFooty » Wed May 01, 2019 5:36 pm

From Kernas

Hi all. In the first three rounds of Under 18 competition, there has been some significant blowouts in the score for some matches. We accept there are blowouts in footy but the consistency of some of these have us weary that if the League allows it to continue, we risk a number of clubs having to forfeit their Under 18 teams due to their players losing interest caused by continued big losses throughout the season. Unfortunately with the smaller number of 18s we have this year, losing just one team pushes a competition over the edge for us to be able to facilitate a healthy competition.

Before you to seek an opportunity to voice your opinion, The League readily accepts the timing is not ideal however we are dealing with what we have and see no other solution to arrive at the outcome we have with the time frame we have to do it so don’t think you’re going to get an argument from us.

Some clubs, particularly those who have no experience of a scoreboard thrashing to date may not identify with the rationale used however we are tasked with making decisions to ensure as many of these young blokes have a game of footy as possible conscious of the fact they are at an age they could quite possibly be doing something else other than playing footy which is not helpful to anyone and you can be rest assured, not doing anything would quite likely be a worse outcome for everyone, even those who have plenty of playing numbers and are sitting 2 and 1 or 3 zip.

The League’s Football Committee have determined that the best option is to regrade a number of teams to even up competitions even if it’s only on the scoreboard. This will be effective immediately.

To achieve this, we have created two six-team competitions (Blue and Yellow) which will play fifteen rounds, playing each other three times. Both Competitions will play a three week, top four Finals series.

The Red competition will be a seven-team competition. They will play a fourteen round season with byes. 7 Teams makes this completely unavoidable though clearly selection in off weeks in a clubs seniors is an option. To accommodate, that competition will play a four week, top five finals series.

We have produced a draw in conjunction with the SANFL Juniors to limit the clashes however beyond this week there are some fixtures that we will need to work through with SANFL Juniors and clubs to rectify.

The divisions were also outlined but I can't get the formatting to work.
LovesHisFooty
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby marbles » Wed May 01, 2019 5:59 pm

marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby jo172 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:19 pm

Support the reasoning behind the decision.

One hopes that ground availability has been checked with a fine tooth comb and this won't cause other issues down the line.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby locky801 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:03 pm

There are games this week, clubs have evidently been emailed, can confirm Broadies and Henley at Henley this coming sunday
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3651 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby marbles » Wed May 01, 2019 9:44 pm

Thanks locky

So some clubs have been given the boot? Cats shocs kenilworth?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Fri May 03, 2019 2:05 pm

are the Under 18s girls affiliated to SAWFL or ADFL or SANFL
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Fri May 03, 2019 2:51 pm

Gee Marbles, you are capable of logging on to and posting on SA Footy but seemingly totally incapable of conducting simple research.

The AdFL runs an U18 Girls comp that consists of 11 clubs this season. Pretty easy to find this on the AdFL website.

The U18 Boys comp started as two 10 team divisions but with only SHOC pulling out there are still 19 clubs that, based on an assessment of results in the first 3 rounds, have now been placed into three Divisions consisting of 7, 6 & 6 teams. From what I understand, the first 3 rounds and results are null and void and we start again with a 15 week fixture for the 6 team divisions and a 14 week fixture for the 7 team divisions.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby marbles » Fri May 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Thankyou however under 18 womens results are listed with adult womens results who are affiliated with sawfl and not adfl.
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Down the Hill » Fri May 03, 2019 11:47 pm

The Adelaide Footy League now runs women's footy in SA (plus U18) outside the SANFL clubs competition. The comp is still called the SAWFL and there is a SAWFL sub-committee of the AdFL but the admin and governance is the AdFL.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby The Hound » Mon May 06, 2019 12:13 pm

Looks like the new Under 18 divisions still had a couple of issues.
1 6 team div had 3 big margins in terms of losses and 1 6 team had a forfeit.

Thoughts on looking at changing it to an under 17 grade? as it seems many of the lads get to Sunday am and cant be bothered, especially some south western clubs.

PHOS no team, SHOCS no team, Edwardstown forfeit and Brighton start with 16 and end up with 14 on the field.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 06, 2019 12:51 pm

The Hound wrote:Looks like the new Under 18 divisions still had a couple of issues.
1 6 team div had 3 big margins in terms of losses and 1 6 team had a forfeit.

Thoughts on looking at changing it to an under 17 grade? as it seems many of the lads get to Sunday am and cant be bothered, especially some south western clubs.

PHOS no team, SHOCS no team, Edwardstown forfeit and Brighton start with 16 and end up with 14 on the field.

Pretty hard to have under 17's when there's an under 16.5 competition already. A pitfall of AdFL and SANFL not being under the same banner, there's no right or wrong answer.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 06, 2019 12:52 pm

marbles wrote:Thankyou however under 18 womens results are listed with adult womens results who are affiliated with sawfl and not adfl.

The SAWFL doesn't exist any more.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 06, 2019 8:21 pm

I was just looking for a result and was surprised how few clubs have under18’s. There is around 20 teams the normal number? I realise that boys at this age find jobs and girls but I am was really surprised

I am shocked there are no Unley or Mitcham teams (couple of big junior clubs in my area), do these clubs get their kids to play seniors instead?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby jo172 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:01 am

Brodlach wrote:I was just looking for a result and was surprised how few clubs have under18’s. There is around 20 teams the normal number? I realise that boys at this age find jobs and girls but I am was really surprised

I am shocked there are no Unley or Mitcham teams (couple of big junior clubs in my area), do these clubs get their kids to play seniors instead?

My suspicion is that this is the about average number.

What you'll find is that the bigger junior clubs have, by the time kids are 18s, large contingents playing 18s at a League Club, and large contingents playing College First XVIII Footy which makes them unavailable for Club 18s.

It's not irregular to see clubs field two junior sides to every age group and then come 16s and 18s struggle to field one on this basis.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Pag » Tue May 07, 2019 9:16 am

jo172 wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I was just looking for a result and was surprised how few clubs have under18’s. There is around 20 teams the normal number? I realise that boys at this age find jobs and girls but I am was really surprised

My suspicion is that this is the about average number.

What you'll find is that the bigger junior clubs have, by the time kids are 18s, large contingents playing 18s at a League Club, and large contingents playing College First XVIII Footy which makes them unavailable for Club 18s.

It's not irregular to see clubs field two junior sides to every age group and then come 16s and 18s struggle to field one on this basis.

Yeah, yeah, this is the same problem we have out North... ;)
Last edited by Pag on Tue May 07, 2019 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby marbles » Tue May 07, 2019 1:54 pm

under 16s parents can be bothered taking their sweet kiddies to play footy

under 18s parent cant be bothered dealing with their rebellious teenagers and they can get themselves to the game, so most drop out
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 07, 2019 2:06 pm

marbles wrote:under 16s parents can be bothered taking their sweet kiddies to play footy

under 18s parent cant be bothered dealing with their rebellious teenagers and they can get themselves to the game, so most drop out

18's are getting a bit of fluff, going out Saturday nights and working, 16's not so much, they're happy having a kick with their mates because that's what they've always done.

Secondly, I think clubs are wary when it comes to 18's as there's a lot of testosterone floating about and they come under the senior banner, any crap that goes on in an 18's game hurts the club as a whole.

I don't think any club has immunity when it comes to hot heads in the 18's.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League