COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby Onthepunt » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:47 pm

Yes May 31st is the date. I am thinking the next 2-4 weeks will be the test if the leagues go ahead. If we see a reduction in positive cases of COVID 2019, everyone doing the right thing, then I feel most leagues start training again in June and their first round June 27th. I would think most clubs without burning out their players would be given a running program to keep the legs ticking over. Forget about trial games , this will give everyone the opportunity to play each other once and the possibility to play maybe 10 rounds. End the season a week later- forget about the zone championships. 10 games straight through, 5 home games each, give clubs opportunity to make something out of a situation is beyond our control.
Onthepunt
Mini-League
 
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:29 pm
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Central United

Re: COVID-19

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:39 pm

Onthepunt wrote:Yes May 31st is the date. I am thinking the next 2-4 weeks will be the test if the leagues go ahead. If we see a reduction in positive cases of COVID 2019, everyone doing the right thing, then I feel most leagues start training again in June and their first round June 27th. I would think most clubs without burning out their players would be given a running program to keep the legs ticking over. Forget about trial games , this will give everyone the opportunity to play each other once and the possibility to play maybe 10 rounds. End the season a week later- forget about the zone championships. 10 games straight through, 5 home games each, give clubs opportunity to make something out of a situation is beyond our control.


There will be no football played in 2020, end of story. People are kidding themselves if they think a condensed season will get up and running!
Eagles2014
League - Best 21
 
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:56 pm
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 227 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby Yank Man » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:32 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Onthepunt wrote:Yes May 31st is the date. I am thinking the next 2-4 weeks will be the test if the leagues go ahead. If we see a reduction in positive cases of COVID 2019, everyone doing the right thing, then I feel most leagues start training again in June and their first round June 27th. I would think most clubs without burning out their players would be given a running program to keep the legs ticking over. Forget about trial games , this will give everyone the opportunity to play each other once and the possibility to play maybe 10 rounds. End the season a week later- forget about the zone championships. 10 games straight through, 5 home games each, give clubs opportunity to make something out of a situation is beyond our control.


There will be no football played in 2020, end of story. People are kidding themselves if they think a condensed season will get up and running!



Agree wholeheartedly, there won’t be footy played this season, sad but true.
Yank Man
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 2610
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:15 am
Location: Wine territory
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 282 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Re: COVID-19

Postby jo172 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:27 pm

Sadly I agree.

Best case scenario reading between the medical lines it might look safe to recommence in September, at which point why bother?

Going to be a long winter
jo172
League - Top 5
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 6:00 pm
Has liked: 967 times
Been liked: 604 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:55 pm

jo172 wrote:Sadly I agree.

Best case scenario reading between the medical lines it might look safe to recommence in September, at which point why bother?

Going to be a long winter


When's your wedding mate?
User avatar
Jimmy_041
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11151
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:30 pm
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 595 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Re: COVID-19

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:19 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
jo172 wrote:Sadly I agree.

Best case scenario reading between the medical lines it might look safe to recommence in September, at which point why bother?

Going to be a long winter


When's your wedding mate?


No date was set.

Suspect with supply and demand come 2021 it will be even more grotesquely expensive than already likely!
jo172
League - Top 5
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 6:00 pm
Has liked: 967 times
Been liked: 604 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby BigB » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:19 am

Interested what people think.. at this stage would clubs be better off not playing (ie no season costs) vs playing (and hence incurring costs but not having the usual income to support it.)

I tend to think there'll be no footy this year just btw.

:(
BigB
Member
 
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:00 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 34 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Re: COVID-19

Postby The Bedge » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:25 am

BigB wrote:Interested what people think.. at this stage would clubs be better off not playing (ie no season costs) vs playing (and hence incurring costs but not having the usual income to support it.)

I tend to think there'll be no footy this year just btw.

:(

With the exception of mental health, ability to socialise and physical activity.. zero benefit.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 2747 times
Been liked: 2964 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby S Demon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:36 am

jo172 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
jo172 wrote:Sadly I agree.

Best case scenario reading between the medical lines it might look safe to recommence in September, at which point why bother?

Going to be a long winter


When's your wedding mate?


No date was set.

Suspect with supply and demand come 2021 it will be even more grotesquely expensive than already likely!

Do it now, only 5 x people! Spend the thousands of $$ you'll save on something else. Wish someone gave me that advice 13 years ago..
User avatar
S Demon
Assistant Coach
 
 
Posts: 4477
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:44 am
Location: The Doghouse
Has liked: 272 times
Been liked: 341 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: COVID-19

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:32 pm

jo172 wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
jo172 wrote:Sadly I agree.

Best case scenario reading between the medical lines it might look safe to recommence in September, at which point why bother?

Going to be a long winter


When's your wedding mate?


No date was set.

Suspect with supply and demand come 2021 it will be even more grotesquely expensive than already likely!


Your future FIL is a traditionalist so you'll probably make money out of it if you do the wishing well
User avatar
Jimmy_041
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11151
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:30 pm
Has liked: 354 times
Been liked: 595 times
Grassroots Team: McLaren

Re: COVID-19

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:05 pm

BigB wrote:Interested what people think.. at this stage would clubs be better off not playing (ie no season costs) vs playing (and hence incurring costs but not having the usual income to support it.)

I tend to think there'll be no footy this year just btw.

:(


I've been mulling this over as well.

If we start playing in June, which would strike me as around the latest we could start (which I suspect won't happen) I can't see many usual sources of sponsorship revenue being open to clubs (let alone blokes having spare cash for subs etc.). Giving people and extra six months to get back on their feet prior to incurring the costs associated with a football season might be necessary.

It's not going to be as easy as putting the keys in the ignition and starting come the middle of June.
jo172
League - Top 5
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 6:00 pm
Has liked: 967 times
Been liked: 604 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby The Big Shrek » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:01 pm

If a shortened season does go ahead the league should ban match payments. Make footy something that's just done for the fun of it.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:13 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:56 am

The Big Shrek wrote:If a shortened season does go ahead the league should ban match payments. Make footy something that's just done for the fun of it.


and how do you propose this is policed?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
User avatar
Footy Chick
Moderator
 
 
Posts: 25717
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:44 pm
Location: anywhere I want to be...
Has liked: 1448 times
Been liked: 1921 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby heater31 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:19 am

Footy Chick wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:If a shortened season does go ahead the league should ban match payments. Make footy something that's just done for the fun of it.


and how do you propose this is policed?
Honesty system [emoji6]
User avatar
heater31
Moderator
 
 
Posts: 15761
Joined: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:42 am
Location: the back blocks
Has liked: 472 times
Been liked: 1129 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:26 am

The Big Shrek wrote:If a shortened season does go ahead the league should ban match payments. Make footy something that's just done for the fun of it.

Don't need the league to make a ruling for your club to implement that idea young pup ;)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 2747 times
Been liked: 2964 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby Arch44 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:47 am

The Big Shrek wrote:If a shortened season does go ahead the league should ban match payments. Make footy something that's just done for the fun of it.


I don't mind that with the closure of clearances.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 2688
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:17 pm
Has liked: 663 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Re: COVID-19

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:55 am

The league banned match payments from 1911 to 1995 yet it still didn't stop several clubs from ignoring those rules - particularly in the 80's and up to 95 . Nothing will change if they are banned again.
User avatar
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1234
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 3:36 pm
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 209 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Re: COVID-19

Postby The Bedge » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 am

Down the Hill wrote:The league banned match payments from 1911 to 1995 yet it still didn't stop several clubs from ignoring those rules -.

You might remember those years, but we don't. :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
User avatar
The Bedge
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12261
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:28 pm
Has liked: 2747 times
Been liked: 2964 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby The Big Shrek » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:03 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
The Big Shrek wrote:If a shortened season does go ahead the league should ban match payments. Make footy something that's just done for the fun of it.


and how do you propose this is policed?


Maybe I'm just optimistic that the current circumstances could facilitate a cultural shift in how money orientated football has become.

PS we can't really effectively police many laws that exist. How many people do you think get away with speeding on a daily basis? Does that mean we shouldn't have speed limits?
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4399
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:13 pm
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 342 times

Re: COVID-19

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:50 am

We’re dreaming if we think the season will be played let’s be real. The government is not going to allow full contact social sports to begin any time soon. China shutdown parts of the country for Months and they still are getting cases pop up. All we are doing right now is Managing the virus so the Economy doesn’t completely blow up and sport is the last thing on the Governments list of importance.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5535
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:22 am
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 578 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests