COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby Trader » Sat May 30, 2020 10:32 am

Interesting to hear Kernahs on the Hooked On Sport podcast this morning.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=663679

The key takeaways I got from it:

JK is backing away from the July 4 re-start.
    Salary cap will be reduced from 2019 levels.
    Play will not commence without spectators.

Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby The Bedge » Sat May 30, 2020 11:44 am

People seem to forget there is more to playing sports than just winning flags or gaining promotion.

The social aspect, the enjoyment of the game, good for mental health, fitness, mates.. after being locked away and separated from mates I think people are keen just to get around the boys again.

Also this short season excuse is stupid, every year I see so many players across the board that lack commitment and will manipulate to play the bare minimum games just to qualify for finals

I would be interested in seeing the numbers for players who play 10+ games compared to 9 or under.

Most of the resistance I’ve seen from people I’ve spoken to has come from people who don’t play the game or whose playing is minimal anyway.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby locky801 » Sat May 30, 2020 1:41 pm

Heard from a Senior Field umpire today they have been asked to accept a $50.00 payment only per game for umpiring Div 1 and Div 1 Res if the season takes off
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

Postby Dutchy » Sat May 30, 2020 2:40 pm

A 9 game season actual might appeal to a few of the older blokes who maybe retired last year or those that were waivering.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Q. » Sat May 30, 2020 3:05 pm

The Bedge wrote:People seem to forget there is more to playing sports than just winning flags or gaining promotion.

The social aspect, the enjoyment of the game, good for mental health, fitness, mates.. after being locked away and separated from mates I think people are keen just to get around the boys again.

Also this short season excuse is stupid, every year I see so many players across the board that lack commitment and will manipulate to play the bare minimum games just to qualify for finals

I would be interested in seeing the numbers for players who play 10+ games compared to 9 or under.

Most of the resistance I’ve seen from people I’ve spoken to has come from people who don’t play the game or whose playing is minimal anyway.

Agree mate, it is just so good for the mental health to be able to get out, have a kick and enjoy a bit of banter with our group of ten at the moment.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Q. » Sat May 30, 2020 3:07 pm

Dutchy wrote:A 9 game season actual might appeal to a few of the older blokes who maybe retired last year or those that were waivering.

My body feels young again with this very extended break from match day rigors :D
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Trader » Sat May 30, 2020 4:34 pm

locky801 wrote:Heard from a Senior Field umpire today they have been asked to accept a $50.00 payment only per game for umpiring Div 1 and Div 1 Res if the season takes off

Not sure I understand the logic of umpires having to take a pay cut here.
Don't get me wrong, I get that there are plenty of people who think umpires are overpaid for the average service they provide already, but paying them less isn't going to encourage the good ones to stick around.

Last year a good umpire would have got 18 games at $100 a go, for $1800.
Now they are only going to get 9 games at $50 a hit, for $450.

I get that we all have to share the pain so to speak, but their wage has already been cut in half based on the number of games, they shouldn't be asked to take a further paycut in my opinion.

I don't buy the argument that the clubs need the assistance. Club's costs have already been cut in half through the reduction in games, add to that the reduction (or complete removal) in player payments. For some clubs, there will be an improved financial position. I get that many sponsors will be hard hit, but most are still chipping in between 50 and 70% of their initial commitment, and those that paid before covid hit have put in their full amount.

Even if you buy the narrative that clubs are struggling, we are talking about clubs with turnovers in the neighbourhood of $200k per season. Is the $450 this saves clubs really going to help that much?

For mine it makes next to bugger all difference for the clubs, but hurts the umpires disproportionally, and will potentially lead to a lower standard of umpiring within the competition.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby locky801 » Sat May 30, 2020 5:51 pm

Trader wrote:
locky801 wrote:Heard from a Senior Field umpire today they have been asked to accept a $50.00 payment only per game for umpiring Div 1 and Div 1 Res if the season takes off

Not sure I understand the logic of umpires having to take a pay cut here.
Don't get me wrong, I get that there are plenty of people who think umpires are overpaid for the average service they provide already, but paying them less isn't going to encourage the good ones to stick around.

Last year a good umpire would have got 18 games at $100 a go, for $1800.
Now they are only going to get 9 games at $50 a hit, for $450.

I get that we all have to share the pain so to speak, but their wage has already been cut in half based on the number of games, they shouldn't be asked to take a further paycut in my opinion.

I don't buy the argument that the clubs need the assistance. Club's costs have already been cut in half through the reduction in games, add to that the reduction (or complete removal) in player payments. For some clubs, there will be an improved financial position. I get that many sponsors will be hard hit, but most are still chipping in between 50 and 70% of their initial commitment, and those that paid before covid hit have put in their full amount.

Even if you buy the narrative that clubs are struggling, we are talking about clubs with turnovers in the neighbourhood of $200k per season. Is the $450 this saves clubs really going to help that much?

For mine it makes next to bugger all difference for the clubs, but hurts the umpires disproportionally, and will potentially lead to a lower standard of umpiring within the competition.

Also dont forget how much Clubs would have saved on electricity with no bars being open and with no training would have saved substantially on lights not being on
locky801
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Sat May 30, 2020 9:20 pm

Clean your ears out Locky, it's 50% not $50 :lol:

so a D1 ump that normally gets $200 per game, with the 50% pay cut for 2020, is still going to get $100 per game ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Bedge » Sat May 30, 2020 9:21 pm

50% pay cut is terrible.. any Umpire pay cut is terrible.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Sat May 30, 2020 10:30 pm

The Bedge wrote:50% pay cut is terrible.. any Umpire pay cut is terrible.

Why? Everyone is taking a cut or not getting paid at all
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Trader » Sun May 31, 2020 12:28 am

Footy Chick wrote:

Why? Everyone is taking a cut or not getting paid at all

They've already had their season pay cut in half.

Are the league charging 25% affiliation fees this season? I'd assume not.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby scottroo » Sun May 31, 2020 12:39 am

Watch this space
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby The Bedge » Sun May 31, 2020 9:08 am

Last edited by The Bedge on Sun May 31, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby ThinkVision » Sun May 31, 2020 10:16 am

What percentage of players get paid anyways? Surely 66%(Bs + Cs) are paying for free anyways, maybe even up to 75% if you count in fringe A graders and clubs that only pay their top 5 if any at all.
ThinkVision
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby daysofourlives » Sun May 31, 2020 10:51 am

Totally agree, they are essentially volunteers who get a bit of money and should be looked after, without them there is no game.
If it was such a good job and such good pay there wouldnt be a shortage of umpires.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby locky801 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:07 pm

Footy Chick wrote:

Clean your ears out Locky, it's 50% not $50 :lol:

so a D1 ump that normally gets $200 per game, with the 50% pay cut for 2020, is still going to get $100 per game ;)

you were involved in the conversation were you :roll: he quite clearly said why would i go out and umpire for 50 bucks
locky801
Coach

Postby Jimmy_041 » Sun May 31, 2020 1:18 pm

Letter from the Umpires Association:

29/05/2020 To Club Presidents, Secretaries and Board Members Right from the outset of the COVID outbreak, it was obvious the financial and social ramifications throughout all pillars of society would be significant and football would not be any less impacted. During this time, the Umpires Association has sought and taken notice of advice and positions of like organisations along with members of the umpiring fraternity. Our position has been influenced by the expectation that all community based footballers’ in South Australia, including SANFL will not receive any remuneration in 2020 and SANFL Umpires are in the process of agreeing to a significant reduction in their umpiring fees for 2020. Taking these and other ideas into account, the Umpires Association came to the conclusion that we would recommend to the Adelaide Footy League umpire fees be set at a 50% reduction for 2020. For all the stated reasons, the Umpires Association along with all its members feel that this a responsible and ethical position given all the circumstances that have arisen. On behalf of the AdFL Umpires, we wish all clubs the very best for the upcoming 2020 season, in whatever form it takes and we look forward to getting out on the park as soon as possible.

Yours sincerely
Ian Gore
President AdFL Umpires Association
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Brodlach » Sun May 31, 2020 2:01 pm

Well done to the umpire fraternity
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Sun May 31, 2020 4:19 pm

Very sensible and fair approach, well done.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League