COVID-19

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: COVID-19

Postby piccachu » Tue May 12, 2020 11:18 am

Am i alone in thinking we need to stop prolonging the decision and just scrap this year at amateur level, there will be multiple clubs in the league that may never recover from the financial hit it will inevitably take this year with lack of sponsorship dollars and revenue through things like bar / canteen takings and big events,
Not to mention the clubs getting a leg up on the competition by pushing the boundaries on rules regarding training number and distancing legalities, due to the lack of clarity surrounding said rules. i have already driven past multiple ovals in my area and couldn't help notice the number of players on the ovals and lack of social distancing.
I love footy as much as the next bloke but surely amateur footy is a long way down the list of importance to get back up and running in the state in my opinion.
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Sass! » Tue May 12, 2020 11:33 am

piccachu wrote:Am i alone in thinking we need to stop prolonging the decision and just scrap this year at amateur level, there will be multiple clubs in the league that may never recover from the financial hit it will inevitably take this year with lack of sponsorship dollars and revenue through things like bar / canteen takings and big events,
Not to mention the clubs getting a leg up on the competition by pushing the boundaries on rules regarding training number and distancing legalities, due to the lack of clarity surrounding said rules. i have already driven past multiple ovals in my area and couldn't help notice the number of players on the ovals and lack of social distancing.
I love footy as much as the next bloke but surely amateur footy is a long way down the list of importance to get back up and running in the state in my opinion.

It would be a big call to make considering its only May 12th and we are heading towards only having 1 new case in the past 20 days. If the League pulled the pin now and we went another 20 days with no cases, our restrictions were eased drastically and we went back to a reasonable level of normality by late June id say you would have a very disgruntled group of footballers, clubs and the general community.

I think if the salary cap is reduced significantly and the league can keep additional costs down, clubs could get through this year reasonably well. I think there is a bigger risk of losing a lot of players if no football was to be played at all this season.
Sass!
Under 16s

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby scottroo » Tue May 12, 2020 11:43 am

Expect a start date to be announced very soon, the powers at the ADFL are not dumb, they know clubs will need atleast a portion of the revenue generated from food and drinks just to survive. With no player payments in 2020 there really shouldn’t be any clubs who can’t make it through the year, if they can’t, they have probably mismanaged and overpaid players and staff for a number of years. This might just shake up football as a whole and help clubs reduce payments for years to come. Bring it on!
scottroo
League - Best 21

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 172 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Trader » Tue May 12, 2020 11:54 am

piccachu wrote:Am i alone in thinking we need to stop prolonging the decision and just scrap this year at amateur level, there will be multiple clubs in the league that may never recover from the financial hit it will inevitably take this year with lack of sponsorship dollars and revenue through things like bar / canteen takings and big events,

The league has already said that any club can elect not to play this season.
Furthermore there is no promotion or relegation this year.

Given the above, why should the comp be cancelled?
Why should the majority of club who will manage themselves effectively be blocked from playing to protect the few that choose to overextend themselves.

If clubs are worried about going under, they can elect to not pay players, as their ladder position won't matter, they won't get relegated, or they can elect to not play at all.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue May 12, 2020 11:54 am

Welcome back mate and you make a lot of sense there, we all want it back but is it going to be the same? Clubs are going to be hit hard.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby football tragic » Tue May 12, 2020 11:57 am

I`m unsure why so many people are so worried about the crowds at local footy.
90% of the crowd at a local game is either a player, a volunteer or a direct family member of one of them so you would miss maybe 10% revenue from a general crowd if they were unable to come to the game
In relation to the canteen and bar..... there has been no decision on this and if Café and restaurants are able to serve alcohol from the 8th of June at the latest and there has been fish and chip shops along with other fast food places open then there will be no reason the canteen at a club wont be able to open.
Lots of negativity around wanting to scrap a season without looking deeper into it IMO.
football tragic
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Barossa District

Postby Pag » Tue May 12, 2020 12:00 pm

As an individual, a lot of it depends on your motivation for playing. If I can't sit around in the changerooms with my 20 mates after winning a game in shit weather, having some shower beers and talking shit, before going back into the club and getting on the cans til midnight before singing Horses with 50-60 people at the end of our function, not sure I really want to do it either. If I wanted to just rock up, play, go home, I'd have been a paid mercenary a long time ago (subject to there being a club stupid enough to pay me money).

The two hours on the ground is only a small part of it IMO.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby piccachu » Tue May 12, 2020 12:11 pm

I`m unsure why so many people are so worried about the crowds at local footy.
90% of the crowd at a local game is either a player, a volunteer or a direct family member of one of them so you would miss maybe 10% revenue from a general crowd if they were unable to come to the game
In relation to the canteen and bar..... there has been no decision on this and if Café and restaurants are able to serve alcohol from the 8th of June at the latest and there has been fish and chip shops along with other fast food places open then there will be no reason the canteen at a club wont be able to open.
Lots of negativity around wanting to scrap a season without looking deeper into it IMO.

Not being negative at all, Just stating that personally i dont think its worth putting clubs at risk of folding and players health at risk for effectively a mickey mouse comp this year, i would suggest that multiple players have lost jobs / businesses so paying subs would be a little less important than keeping a roof over there families head and food on the table.
Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one
Were has Marbles gone and who is Satchel
piccachu
League - Top 5

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:22 pm

Pag wrote:As an individual, a lot of it depends on your motivation for playing. If I can't sit around in the changerooms with my 20 mates after winning a game in shit weather, having some shower beers and talking shit, before going back into the club and getting on the cans til midnight before singing Horses with 50-60 people at the end of our function, not sure I really want to do it either. If I wanted to just rock up, play, go home, I'd have been a paid mercenary a long time ago (subject to there being a club stupid enough to pay me money).

The two hours on the ground is only a small part of it IMO.

Well said, spot on. Exactly what community sport is all about!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 12:41 pm

I still think by the time any season starts, it'll be almost business as usual - sure there will be some measures/precautions in place i.e spacing spectators, limiting numbers in the club etc, but canteens, BBQs, club events etc will still happen I think.

Beers in the changerooms - whose gonna police that anyway?

Personally compromised season or not, I want to get back out and involved. I've been stuck home for the best part of 6 weeks now.. i'm bored.. i'm lonely.. i'm losing motivation for things. I miss seeing my players every week, having chats, talking during the week to mates at other clubs, watching the dartfish replays, talking smack on safooty, catching up with mates on weekends at other clubs, enjoying the BBQ and a few beers and most of all a couple of hours peace away from the mrs and kids :D

I think the discussion around risk of clubs folding etc is probably a bit over the top.. and yeah fees wont be a priority, but i'd be surprised if clubs were charging full tote on their fees still.

Haven't councils frozen costs for clubs during the winter? No clubs would have current expenses would they? They're not currently losing money and if they don't pay players then that's an expense they wont have to worry about either. It's effectively just a longer pre-season this year.

As for the point of leg up on the competition by pushing boundaries - turn it up.. nothing stopping anyone form going for a run or partnering with a mate for a kick.. it's no different to doing extra work in summer, or a club dumb enough to start pre-season in November each year.. we aren't playing AFL FFS.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 12:50 pm

If I was a club I think my biggest worries would be

a) If a didn't field sides what players i'd lose and potentially not get back; and
b) Players who opt out of playing this year and never return.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby jo172 » Tue May 12, 2020 12:53 pm

The Bedge wrote:I still think by the time any season starts, it'll be almost business as usual - sure there will be some measures/precautions in place i.e spacing spectators, limiting numbers in the club etc, but canteens, BBQs, club events etc will still happen I think..

I suspect this is the course we're treading.

It won't be normal, but it won't be so bizarre as to mimic 9 am school sport.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue May 12, 2020 1:38 pm

Clubs getting 13 page documents on covid requirements.

For community clubs its going to be a nightmare.
Restrictions may relax a bit as we get closer to playing but the directions as they stand right now are going to be difficult to manage.

Clubs with big junior programs are going to need other venues to train putting a bigger strain on clubs.

Just like all of us I want to see sport back but not at the expense of burning out good people who volunteer every year.

Some associations may just put up the too hard sign and forego the year.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue May 12, 2020 1:54 pm

tigerpie wrote:Clubs getting 13 page documents on covid requirements.

For community clubs its going to be a nightmare.
Restrictions may relax a bit as we get closer to playing but the directions as they stand right now are going to be difficult to manage.

Clubs with big junior programs are going to need other venues to train putting a bigger strain on clubs.

Just like all of us I want to see sport back but not at the expense of burning out good people who volunteer every year.

Some associations may just put up the too hard sign and forego the year.

Clubs will be given the opportunity to sit out the year if they wish to and I'd say the majority will take up that offer.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 2:01 pm

tigerpie wrote:Clubs getting 13 page documents on covid requirements.

You make the document sound worse than it is.

Not all of it is requirements - some are recommendations, considerations and some is reiteration of information already being constantly mentioned i.e. SA roadmap, social distancing, download the COVID-19 app.

Also clubs better get used to some of these guidelines and hygiene requirements, I suspect they'll become the norm anyway.

The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 2:09 pm

Also worth noting, a lot of the requirements/recommendations in the document surround Level B restrictions - by the time the season starts we will probably be at Level C.

Level B will be the next few weeks as clubs transition back into training and operations.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Tue May 12, 2020 2:23 pm

According to the new guidelines - us trainers can't do much. We're literally there in case of emergency/injury only; trainers room can't even be open.

Some things you need to be aware of as a Sports Trainer:
· If you are in a high risk group please follow the guidelines from SA Health.
· If a player, official or support person has no symptoms, then they can participate.

· If a player, official or support person has any symptoms, then they must stay away.

· If players, officials or support people sneeze or cough, then they need to do so in their elbow and away from others.

· Always have clean hands and wash your hands in hot soapy water for 30 seconds or use hand sanitiser.

· Hand hygiene (hand sanitisers) on entry and exit to venues, as well as pre, post and during training.

· All indoor spaces are still out of bounds at clubs including change rooms. Toilets can be accessed, but numbers attending at any one time should be limited.

· Equipment rooms can be open for someone to go in and grab what they need and then get out. So it is very much a go in, get what you need, get out.

· Trainings are "get in, train, get out". Players are encouraged to be taped at home, either they do it themselves or a family member does it. It is one reason why we are going to be holding live taping sessions on our Facebook page on Tuesday evenings at 5:30pm with a physio and one of the Port Power Trainers.

· Basically the trainer is there for if an injury occurs. All pre-training work needs to be done by the player at home prior to attending training.

· In regards to water bottles, everyone must have their own. We are recommending that each player brings their own and it is clearly labelled.

· Make sure to wipe down any surface with antibacterial wipes after use.

· Use and wear gloves and change them after every use.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue May 12, 2020 2:40 pm

Half the trainers I've seen over the years do FA anyway :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue May 12, 2020 2:51 pm

Bum Crack wrote:Clubs will be given the opportunity to sit out the year if they wish to and I'd say the majority will take up that offer.

If clubs choose to do this they will be signing their own death warrant.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue May 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Clubs will be given the opportunity to sit out the year if they wish to and I'd say the majority will take up that offer.

If clubs choose to do this they will be signing their own death warrant.

How so??
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 884 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League