7%
Salisbury North
7%

Total votes : 29

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 2

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 17, 2023 8:59 pm

cracka wrote:
Jimmy_041 wrote:
redyellow&blue wrote:TBH this points thing has been done to death, and will not change until the SACFL and SANFL put a foot down. with regards to college footy.

It's a bit ridiculous that the college system has so much power, even to the point of players being unavailable for SANFL teams.

Answer is simple. unless you've actually played the required amount of games at the specific amateur club, not the school, then you're a points player.

The college system wants it's cake, and wants to eat the whole thing too. If college A want's you, or forces you to play for the school first, then its bad luck for College side A who has a team in the amateur league. If player leaves College A at the end of his schooling to play for a country side, then comes back to college A Amateur club, then he should be points.

You can always do what Greg Anderson did and leave college to play where you want. Because, you know, playing footy is everything in life.

Its just too bad that the public schools gave up their participation in school footy.
Remember the great high school footy sides? I do. Where did they go?

Were the high school footy sides affiliated with a senior AdFL club & therefore zero points or are you talking before the points system came in

From memory, Unley and PHOS got dispensation. Maybe also Adelaide Lutheran (but I'm not 100% on that)
I know when Unley included Mercedes they weren't given dispensation because it was after the APPS came in
Not sure about Henley or Brighton
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1071 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed May 17, 2023 9:06 pm

jo172 wrote:Hey day of high school footy was well before Apps. Hell is APPS only 10 years old or thereabouts?

Not my point - school footy was great.
We played against Norwood, Brighton, Norwood Tech, Henley, Unley, Adelaide etc etc
Dont blame the colleges for maintaining the tradition
Who decided to stop high school football? :-?
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 17, 2023 11:08 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:The colleges put a crapload of funding into the football programme
The college coaches are as good as, if not, better.

College footy is all about prestige and rivalry, it has zero to do with the kids development
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Pag » Thu May 18, 2023 9:45 am

whufc wrote:Being devils advocate and someone who grew up at Craigmore/Smithfield high.

A point being slightly lost is so many of there old scholars won’t to go back and play at their school club rather than any local club they had any involvement with. They obviously do something right to attract players back to their club.

I would never have considered doing anything for a Craigmore old scholars team had it came into exsistance haha.

Credit to the colleges for keeping their system going and having guys feel more comfortable to play with school mates at an OC clubs than their amateur club. I don't necessarily agree with the banning of players playing for their district club as kids, but at least the schools have some pride in their athletic performance.

If Craigmore HS/FECHS/Smithfield Plains HS/SEHS/Salisbury HS/Paralowie HS/Parafield Gardens HS played a regular comp each year players would feel more connection to their school. I can count on one hand the amount genuine four-quarter games of footy I played for my school because there was just such limited opportunities outside of one-day round robin carnivals. For the same reason as you whufc, if SEHS ever started an OS team I probably wouldn't give it the time of the day.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 498 times

Postby whufc » Thu May 18, 2023 11:06 am

Pag wrote:
whufc wrote:Being devils advocate and someone who grew up at Craigmore/Smithfield high.

A point being slightly lost is so many of there old scholars won’t to go back and play at their school club rather than any local club they had any involvement with. They obviously do something right to attract players back to their club.

I would never have considered doing anything for a Craigmore old scholars team had it came into exsistance haha.

Credit to the colleges for keeping their system going and having guys feel more comfortable to play with school mates at an OC clubs than their amateur club. I don't necessarily agree with the banning of players playing for their district club as kids, but at least the schools have some pride in their athletic performance.

If Craigmore HS/FECHS/Smithfield Plains HS/SEHS/Salisbury HS/Paralowie HS/Parafield Gardens HS played a regular comp each year players would feel more connection to their school. I can count on one hand the amount genuine four-quarter games of footy I played for my school because there was just such limited opportunities outside of one-day round robin carnivals. For the same reason as you whufc, if SEHS ever started an OS team I probably wouldn't give it the time of the day.

Absolutely and thats a connection/advantage college teams will always have over the amateur teams regardless of the points system.

When i went to Craigmore High me and all my mates were scattered over the northern burbs clubs and because of the rivalries between the clubs we never felt the urge to go and all get together and play with school mates.

On the other hand the college kids seem to have a real connection (maybe that comes from boarding together etc) but they tend to want to play with the old school mates.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MoP » Thu May 18, 2023 2:32 pm

I can only presume the other College sides are similar, but PAOC teams (cricket and footy) get free use of their facilities (gym, pool, squash, etc) while they're playing. That, in itself, is a pretty attractive proposition!!
MoP

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 10 times

Postby Shortman » Thu May 18, 2023 2:37 pm

MoP wrote:I can only presume the other College sides are similar, but PAOC teams (cricket and footy) get free use of their facilities (gym, pool, squash, etc) while they're playing. That, in itself, is a pretty attractive proposition!!

Iggies can barely use their own clubrooms let alone the schools stuff
Shortman
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby jo172 » Thu May 18, 2023 2:43 pm

MoP wrote:I can only presume the other College sides are similar, but PAOC teams (cricket and footy) get free use of their facilities (gym, pool, squash, etc) while they're playing. That, in itself, is a pretty attractive proposition!!

Wonder if the commercial rates for these are being included in the TPPS
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Fools Gold » Fri May 19, 2023 10:55 am

GG's first Indigenous Guernsey for R8 v. Edwardstown.

Designed by Shane Edwards, would be a handy 0 pointer while we're on the topic of APPS
Attachments
Shane.PNG
Shane.PNG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 5899 times
Fools Gold

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Solomontown

Postby jo172 » Fri May 19, 2023 11:16 am

Good use of the colours.

More broadly it seems the less traditional/conventional the colours are for a footy club the more they seem to lend themselves to the indigenous guernseys.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Footy Chick » Sun May 21, 2023 9:34 pm

Fools Gold wrote:GG's first Indigenous Guernsey for R8 v. Edwardstown.

Designed by Shane Edwards, would be a handy 0 pointer while we're on the topic of APPS

I love that they've actually told us the story behind the design

I'm a big fan of the indigenous jumper but wish we'd get the story of the design more often
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Blem12 » Fri May 26, 2023 11:27 am

UNI
PHOS
GGFC
PNU
TOWNS
Blem12
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby jo172 » Sat May 27, 2023 6:44 pm

In this age of generic but significant club room redevelopment there’s something really nice about north haven and footy how you watched it for decades.

Aside from that a miserable choppy game
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun May 28, 2023 2:25 pm

jo172 wrote:In this age of generic but significant club room redevelopment there’s something really nice about north haven and footy how you watched it for decades.

I like your sentiment Jo but for me who has seen the place 3-5 times a week over the past 15 years it's time for a major renovation/upgrade. The clubs/committees have worked hard to keep the place together with a fair bit of work/renovations themselves to maintain and keep it in a satisfactory condition but ultimately the place is falling apart and it's time for the council/government to come to the party, although from what I understand we are not eligible for any upgrades at this point in time.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Bluedemon » Sun May 28, 2023 3:05 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
jo172 wrote:In this age of generic but significant club room redevelopment there’s something really nice about north haven and footy how you watched it for decades.

I like your sentiment Jo but for me who has seen the place 3-5 times a week over the past 15 years it's time for a major renovation/upgrade. The clubs/committees have worked hard to keep the place together with a fair bit of work/renovations themselves to maintain and keep it in a satisfactory condition but ultimately the place is falling apart and it's time for the council/government to come to the party, although from what I understand we are not eligible for any upgrades at this point in time.

How come you aren't eligible at the moment
SAFooty.net, where you hear the community football news first
Bluedemon
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 83 times
Been liked: 96 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun May 28, 2023 3:45 pm

Bluedemon wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

I could be wrong now but from what I understand the club was still one or two years away from being eligible according to the council (unless that has changed recently). The club did get a grant from the Labor state government for Women's changerooms (which apparently the council were going to match) but nothing has come of that yet. The club has had plans drawn up for both women's changerooms and the whole building in the past but again nothing has come of that.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Jimmy_041 » Mon May 29, 2023 12:59 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Bluedemon wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

I could be wrong now but from what I understand the club was still one or two years away from being eligible according to the council (unless that has changed recently). The club did get a grant from the Labor state government for Women's changerooms (which apparently the council were going to match) but nothing has come of that yet. The club has had plans drawn up for both women's changerooms and the whole building in the past but again nothing has come of that.

They have to build the Taj Mahal up the road first
Jimmy_041
Coach

Postby Demon Juke » Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:18 am

Just like to say what a legend Gary McIntosh is, went to PNU last night so my son could umpire a junior game. My Daughter came with me to kick her football and he gave up his time probably 10 mins to help my Daughter with her kicking as she is left footer like the legend. I know he is not on here but Thank yon very much Macca, He such a great asset for PNU football club.
Demon Juke
League - Best 21

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby jo172 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:30 pm

He’s just a great asset for football.

He derives joy from teaching and seeing enjoyment.

He should be an AFL Commissioner in that I don’t know anyone who knows as much about the game as he does and I certainly don’t know anyone who loves it as much but couldn’t give a shit about his own place in it but wants to grow that love in others.

Footy overall would be better if he ran it
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby jo172 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:35 pm

Also, ripper of a game at Payneham, it goes 4 seconds longer and SN win
jo172
League - Top 5