you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2808 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Re: 2023 Adelaide footy League - Division 6

Postby The Bedge » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:27 am

Wounderworld wrote:Will Only take them to places United or Brahma Lodge wish to be amazing efforts by the football department

Why? Why the need to add this? Post was fine, focus on Smithfield - no need to take cheap shots at the locals.. remember clubs like Units hold the clearance power as well for some players..
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Pag » Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:36 am

beef wrote:
Pag wrote:
whufc wrote:yeah socccers popularity in the north is only growing and a massive concern for footy clubs.

I just can't see how EP, Eliz, CU, Smith can all survive with the shift of populations and demographics.

The Paralowie/Parafield Gardens/Salisbury area is heading the same way. If you walked down John St in Salisbury today it'd be unrecognisable to the one of 25 years ago when we were growing up, and there wouldn't be many potential footballers (or businesses that might sponsor football clubs) along there anymore.

Especially when old salisbury people head up the hill to Golden Grove. Parabanks is better than the village anyway

Parabanks lost me the day Sabine's Upstairs stopped doing the $4.95 hot dog, chips and softie deal. :heart:
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:34 am

The Bedge wrote:
Wounderworld wrote:Will Only take them to places United or Brahma Lodge wish to be amazing efforts by the football department

Why? Why the need to add this? Post was fine, focus on Smithfield - no need to take cheap shots at the locals.. remember clubs like Units hold the clearance power as well for some players..

Units and Lodge actually have a good relationship with Smithfield.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:41 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Units and Lodge actually have a good relationship with Smithfield.

Good on them, but if someone is gonna keep getting on here throwing cheap shots at them, i'm sure they can show a different side of things.

Point remains, no need to have a subtle crack at either club, just worry about Smithies FFS.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:13 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Units and Lodge actually have a good relationship with Smithfield.

Good on them, but if someone is gonna keep getting on here throwing cheap shots at them, i'm sure they can show a different side of things.

Point remains, no need to have a subtle crack at either club, just worry about Smithies FFS.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that he's from a neighbouring club, not Smithfield.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:22 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that he's from a neighbouring club, not Smithfield.

That sure doesn’t seem the case LM.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:26 pm

Legit question with absolutely no disrespect intended...

I, more than most appreciate the history behind any club and its name.

However, should Smiffies have considered a name change, to make themselves more inclusive of potential new players coming in from other areas.

A re-badge, if you will.

(rather than a new start-up)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:31 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone knows that he's from a neighbouring club, not Smithfield.

Not doing any favors to Smithfield.. and not sure welcome back at Eastern Park either..
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:36 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Legit question with absolutely no disrespect intended...

However, should Smiffies have considered a name change, to make themselves more inclusive of potential new players coming in from other areas.

A re-badge, if you will.

100% agree with what your saying.

They have the potential to capture a big share of the MPW, Blakeview, Andrews Farm region. From my understanding its Angle Vale who are booming at the moment but surely there is a big portion of parents who dont want to travel country as the kids get older etc etc.

Once again, no disrespect to Smithfield but i know as fact the name/reputation of bloke club and suburb puts parents off taking kids there no matter how many great things the clubs are doing. A name change could be one way to entice people into the club.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:08 pm

A re-badge, if you will.

I was always trying to influence a name change to Smithfield Baptist, I thought it might get us a free kick in a 50/50 situation.

There is a Baptist church on Mary Street.

All bullshit aside though, Smithfield derives from the Smith family who donated the land to the community for recreational usage, they were keen sportsmen themselves having occupied all eleven spots in their first XI cricket team in the 1920's, it would be criminal to change the name.

Elizabeth is an area that cops a hiding from the general public but their football club is well presented along with their members, Salisbury has a bad reputation but their football club is quite the opposite.

Culture is built, the club needs to develop a place for the kids to go and do positive things for the community, from an outsider looking in that is exactly what the current committee is building, if you watched the Cosi episode that they appeared on you'll see what I mean, their junior footy presentation was just brilliant, 8 year old kids suiting up for the occasion, jump on their FB page.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:All bullshit aside though, Smithfield derives from the Smith family who donated the land to the community for recreational usage, they were keen sportsmen themselves having occupied all eleven spots in their first XI cricket team in the 1920's.

Never knew that, awesome bit of history!

Smithfield Baptist has a nice ring to it though :lol:
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:19 pm

The Bedge wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:All bullshit aside though, Smithfield derives from the Smith family who donated the land to the community for recreational usage, they were keen sportsmen themselves having occupied all eleven spots in their first XI cricket team in the 1920's.

Never knew that, awesome bit of history!

Smithfield Baptist has a nice ring to it though :lol:

:lol: :lol:
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:44 pm

whufc wrote:

A re-badge, if you will.

They have the potential to capture a big share of the MPW, Blakeview, Andrews Farm region. From my understanding its Angle Vale who are booming at the moment but surely there is a big portion of parents who dont want to travel country as the kids get older etc etc.

Once again, no disrespect to Smithfield but i know as fact the name/reputation of bloke club and suburb puts parents off taking kids there no matter how many great things the clubs are doing. A name change could be one way to entice people into the club.

Interestingly though a former Smithfield resident and football club member did just sell their company for a measly $40M, he is quite proud of the journey he has taken in life.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Executive Member » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:57 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

A re-badge, if you will.

Interestingly though a former Smithfield resident and football club member did just sell their company for a measly $40M, he is quite proud of the journey he has taken in life.

surely not proud of that haircut he walked out with at AFL level though :lol:
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:51 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

A re-badge, if you will.

Plenty of Smiffies people have $40m+ in the bank
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

2023 Adelaide footy League - Division 6

Postby BenchedEagle » Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:53 pm

I think theres room for Smithfield to come into Seniors again, but prob no room for another club in the areas discussed to start a junior program.

I can remember some dark years where Elizabeth and Smithfield had to merge some junior sides to get a team, was really hard to manage seperate tribal cultures and didnt end up working.
But Elizabeth went on to bring back a big junior program from the dead and is great to see Smithfield following suit in recent years.

Between Angle Vale, Smithfield, Gawler South (Evanston area) and Trinity I would certainly say there would never be a new club built in between, even if the current growth rate continues thru MPW.

If the saltfields development ever proceeds, western Salisbury would be ripe for another go at it. Salisbury West and North Pines will likely never be let back in but would a merger or a brand new club be enough to get a team back out there?
BenchedEagle
League - Top 5

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 50 times

Postby whufc » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:

A re-badge, if you will.

There are thousands of great people from Smithfield, my mum still lives on Crittenden Rd and i spent half my time there (suburb not the club), i love the place. But there is definitely a perception about Smithfield both the football club (despite great people being involved) and the suburb.

I think the part that hurts them a bit is all the 30-40 year olds like me who now have kids etc all grew up with the blokes and know what affiliations etc they have had over the journey. I dont have a problem with it but many parents do get worried.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:44 am

Nothing wrong with Smithfield.. the only person who seems to have a problem with the suburb and name is you whuffer :lol:

Besides changing names means nothing - look at Huntfield Heights (Hackham West).

I've never had a problem at Smithfield, and I lived there for a couple years as a teenager.. it's no worse off than half the other suburbs of Adelaide.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:53 am

The Bedge wrote:Nothing wrong with Smithfield.. the only person who seems to have a problem with the suburb and name is you whuffer :lol:

Besides changing names means nothing - look at Huntfield Heights (Hackham West).

I've never had a problem at Smithfield, and I lived there for a couple years as a teenager.. it's no worse off than half the other suburbs of Adelaide.

Same here, Grade 6 was the best 4 years of my life.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League