2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 7

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: 2023 Adelaide Footy League - Division 7

Postby The Bedge » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:30 pm

carey wrote:I'm back in training.

Not official until it get a plug on SA Footballer
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:53 pm

The Bedge wrote:
carey wrote:I'm back in training.

Not official until it get a plug on SA Footballer

No, you heard it here first ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:33 pm

A local footy club will make its bid to rejoin the Adelaide Footy League official in the coming weeks after experiencing two years on the sidelines.

The Smithfield Football Club made the decision to sit out of the 2021 and 2022 seasons after suffering drops in playing and volunteer numbers on the back of Covid-19 but has now been given the opportunity to make an application by the competition.

The 110-year-old northern club had been fielding junior sides throughout its hiatus from the Adelaide Footy League but is now by default not an existing club and will need to lodge an application by the end of October and await approval or rejection from the league.

The Panthers had begun recruiting players, volunteers and coaches in late August and will need to meet requirements of 40 registered men’s players.

It will also need to register further 15 men’s players and 25 women’s players by February 15.

“The application is in full motion,” a Smithfield FC representative told The Messenger.

“At the moment the club is working extremely hard to satisfy the requirements laid out by the Adelaide Footy League.

“We’re also working hard to provide chief John Kernahan and the executive committee with confidence in our club and leadership personnel and eliminating any doubts that may arise.”

Kernahan said the league was happy to give Smithfield a chance at an application but that there were doubts or concerns around the impact the return of the Panthers could have on surrounding clubs.

“As unfortunate as it is, history shows that Smithfield isn’t the first club to struggle to maintain its identity and regrettably it won’t be the last,” Kernahan said.

“What we have done though out of an abundance of caution is allow Smithfield to present a case as to why the League should consider its affiliation in 2023.

“But we also have to respect and balance the viability of other clubs which have endured some pretty tough times in the Covid era and as a league we are still very unsure as to how playing numbers will recover.

“Post-Covid participation is down around 15 per cent which equates to roughly 1500 players but we still have the same number of clubs.”

While some clubs had shown support of Smithfield in its attempt to return to play next season, others were sceptical of how it could impact the competition.

One spokesperson for an anonymous club told The Messenger it was wary of a further hit to playing numbers.

“It’s safe to say there is concern as to whether clubs, especially surrounding clubs, can continue to maintain required playing and volunteer numbers if another club joins the competition,” they said.

“Clubs have found it quite challenging to push through Covid-19 already.

“You can’t tell the future and we hope it doesn’t become the case but it is a concern.”

Smithfield will need to lodge its application by October 31.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:42 am

Honestly, I can't for the life of me see Smithfield returning in D7. The more I consider it, the more i'm certain it'll be D6 or nothing - maybe even D5.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Wounderworld » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:01 am

The Bedge wrote:Honestly, I can't for the life of me see Smithfield returning in D7. The more I consider it, the more i'm certain it'll be D6 or nothing - maybe even D5.

I think just a return to the Adelaide Footy League is more important forget about division as it stands divvy 7 is the logical move depending on the experience Smithfield pick up
Wounderworld
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:03 am

Wounderworld wrote:I think just a return to the Adelaide Footy League is more important forget about division as it stands divvy 7 is the logical move depending on the experience Smithfield pick up

No it's not - regardless who they pick up.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Wounderworld » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:07 am

The Bedge wrote:
Wounderworld wrote:I think just a return to the Adelaide Footy League is more important forget about division as it stands divvy 7 is the logical move depending on the experience Smithfield pick up

No it's not - regardless who they pick up.

By the looks of things they are planning on playing eligible junior footballers wouldn't be surprised if Smithfield are in div 7-6
Wounderworld
Mini-League

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:08 am

Here's how I see it.. gotta plan for worst case scenarios..

D6 is currently 9 teams.
D7 is currently 8 teams.

If they go into D6 and make 10 teams, and fall away, it just reverts back to 9 teams with a bye - minimal impact.
If they go into D6 and make 9 teams (IF and PH D7), and fall away, it goes to 8 teams and wrecks everything.
If they go into D7 and Ingle Farm remain D6, and make it 8 teams still, and fall away - it becomes a 7 team division.
If they go into D7 with IF and PH and it becomes a 9 team division, and fall away - it reverts back to 8 team division, it wrecks everything.

It's obvious, cattle or not, D6 is the only adequate fit for them re-entering.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Wounderworld » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:11 am

Division 6 will also be close travelling might help them continue to build interesting times ahead
Wounderworld
Mini-League

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:12 pm

Wounderworld wrote:Division 6 will also be close travelling might help them continue to build interesting times ahead

If that’s any sort of factor in the success of re-establishing any club then you are dead before you even begin.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby The Bedge » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:23 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:If that’s any sort of factor in the success of re-establishing any club then you are dead before you even begin.

Imagine your argument upon applying "Sir, if we are in D6, and only are required to travel locally, we will get a side up!" :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:14 pm

The Bedge wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:If that’s any sort of factor in the success of re-establishing any club then you are dead before you even begin.

Imagine your argument upon applying "Sir, if we are in D6, and only are required to travel locally, we will get a side up!" :D

Get a side going year one because a factor is minimal travel. The following year 3 sides south of the City come in to your comp. That’ll end well….

I’m not saying that this is a factor by the way, it’s just a silly analogy in the ADFL as you will always have to travel.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 740 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Wounderworld » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:10 am

Continue the run against the oldest club in the north rejoining the league love it :twisted:
Wounderworld
Mini-League

Postby The Old Fellow » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:36 am

Wounderworld wrote:Continue the run against the oldest club in the north rejoining the league love it :twisted:

Didn't think anyone was continuing the run against Salisbury Football Club and aren't they already in the AFL and don't have to rejoin, unlike Smithfield.
The Old Fellow
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:56 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

Get a side going year one because a factor is minimal travel. The following year 3 sides south of the City come in to your comp. That’ll end well….

I’m not saying that this is a factor by the way, it’s just a silly analogy in the ADFL as you will always have to travel.

They had a pretty strong junior presence that had to travel all over the metropolitan area and I don't think there were any forfeits there, they would be like any other club and would be looking at fielding a successful side whilst hoping to not have to travel to the 4 corners of the earth to play each week.

Going by third hand information, the squad that has been presented so far is hardly "the Dream Team" and they are not pilfering other clubs or throwing coin to attract marque type players, it's basically a bunch of members who have developed a strong culture, rebuilt a junior structure and now want to retain the kids that they have invested time and effort into.

They have appointed a well respected coach, I'm sure a lot of the under 17.5's will get games into them and the club will be in good steed for future years, the committee is quite young and have a lot of energy, they are well focused and there's a lot of helpers, that's the bit that has turned to shit previously.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Wounderworld » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:08 am

I haven't heard of any massive names signing at Smithfield but like the previous comment said. they seem to have a a hard working committee probably young and high energy behind the scenes pushing for change of culture that's brilliant to hear for any northern suburbs club
Wounderworld
Mini-League

Postby redyellow&blue » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:26 am

Someone could tell me if i'm right or wrong, but i heard along the grapevine that Simon the previous president was pushed out by certain powers that be around the smithfield football club because they believed " they could do things better" or he refused to play ball with some "old stalwarts" even after he took them to 3 consecutive flags.

If thats correct, no amount of young and able committee members will ever survive if people in the background are not put in a cage or told to politely piss off.
redyellow&blue
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:01 pm

redyellow&blue wrote:Someone could tell me if i'm right or wrong, but i heard along the grapevine that Simon the previous president was pushed out by certain powers that be around the smithfield football club because they believed " they could do things better" or he refused to play ball with some "old stalwarts" even after he took them to 3 consecutive flags.

If thats correct, no amount of young and able committee members will ever survive if people in the background are not put in a cage or told to politely piss off.

No, that's incorrect. Simon still plays cricket out there.

Simon put his hand up when the place was at a standstill, he was president of the "Sports and Social Club", the football club is a subsidiary of that.

Simon stood down on his own accord, he left the place in a better state than what it was when he took it over.

You'll still find him there demolishing the Carlton Draughts and always with a smile on his face.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Executive Member » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:16 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
redyellow&blue wrote:Someone could tell me if i'm right or wrong, but i heard along the grapevine that Simon the previous president was pushed out by certain powers that be around the smithfield football club because they believed " they could do things better" or he refused to play ball with some "old stalwarts" even after he took them to 3 consecutive flags.

No, that's incorrect. Simon still plays cricket out there.

Simon put his hand up when the place was at a standstill, he was president of the "Sports and Social Club", the football club is a subsidiary of that.

Simon stood down on his own accord, he left the place in a better state than what it was when he took it over.

You'll still find him there demolishing the Carlton Draughts and always with a smile on his face.

I do enjoy your press briefings 8)
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby Wounderworld » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:18 pm

What ever is happening at Smithfield FC seems to be all legit Goodluck
Wounderworld
Mini-League