Your top 5 cricket books

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Your top 5 cricket books

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:30 am

Booney wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:I can fully understand Yallop and Boycott's reluctance to face Messers Holding and Thomson. Of the West Indies bowlers I reckon Andy Roberts would have been the scariest to face. He would bowl a 'slow' bouncer and then follow it up with a real fast one. It was this move that earnt David Hookes a ride in Packer's Jag.

regards,

REB

Greg Ritchie tells one of the funniest stories I ever heard about the day Roberts set him up with the slower and faster bouncer in a game between Qld and the Windies. I could never do it justice and it went for 10-15 minutes but it was the most captivating funny cricket story and I have heard and I have heard many of them. Obviously it didn't end with a broken jaw but it did knock him out and involved many other peculiar details such as breaking his stumps and being nearly impaled, a forklift, Kepler Wessels, 6 ham sandwiches, a team in stitches, the dog track round the GABBA and had the clever edgy humour only the Cat could provide.

Whilst Fat Cats touring has cut down with the retiring of Mahatma Coat if ever you do get a chance to see him he is the best speaker and entertainer I have had the pleasure of seeing and meeting.

:lol:

I too have heard this one, and it is a ripping yarn. Jeff Dujon behind the stumps laughing as Roberts comes in and Ritchie wonders why he's laughing. Between overs he asks Dujon "What's so funny?" Dujon grins and replies "'He's going to kill you".

yeah he tells a funny story does the old 'Cat, I've heard that story at Westies in Alice Springs in the early 2000s- ******* funny night....

Wayne Phillips (our one, not the crap Victorian one) tells a good story of Garner and Marshall playing a game of "how far can we push Dujy back" in Barbados in the 3rd test of the 1984 series. Batsmen, wickets and runs were immaterial, just bowl as fast as you can to push Dujon back further than he stands for the other bowler....

Apparantly Dogwatcher must have copped a bouncer on his fingers from a bowler in BL&G cricket, given he has been un-able to type his top five books....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:33 am

Lol Westies footy club in Alice Springs

Spent a fair bit of my youth hanging around there
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:00 am

whufc wrote:Lol Westies footy club in Alice Springs

Spent a fair bit of my youth hanging around there

Yup, hard to explain that place down here, certainly 2-3 standard diviations outside the mean of your sterotypical Adelaide sporting club.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:17 am

Booney wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:I can fully understand Yallop and Boycott's reluctance to face Messers Holding and Thomson. Of the West Indies bowlers I reckon Andy Roberts would have been the scariest to face. He would bowl a 'slow' bouncer and then follow it up with a real fast one. It was this move that earnt David Hookes a ride in Packer's Jag.

regards,

REB

Greg Ritchie tells one of the funniest stories I ever heard about the day Roberts set him up with the slower and faster bouncer in a game between Qld and the Windies. I could never do it justice and it went for 10-15 minutes but it was the most captivating funny cricket story and I have heard and I have heard many of them. Obviously it didn't end with a broken jaw but it did knock him out and involved many other peculiar details such as breaking his stumps and being nearly impaled, a forklift, Kepler Wessels, 6 ham sandwiches, a team in stitches, the dog track round the GABBA and had the clever edgy humour only the Cat could provide.

Whilst Fat Cats touring has cut down with the retiring of Mahatma Coat if ever you do get a chance to see him he is the best speaker and entertainer I have had the pleasure of seeing and meeting.

:lol:

I too have heard this one, and it is a ripping yarn. Jeff Dujon behind the stumps laughing as Roberts comes in and Ritchie wonders why he's laughing. Between overs he asks Dujon "What's so funny?" Dujon grins and replies "'He's going to kill you".

"Hey Kepler I bet you wish your old mob went easy on that Apartheid stuff, the Windies are pretty pissed with you"
Kepler ; " Shut up Porky, or ill box you in the bloody head"
I would pay money just to hear him tell that story again :lol:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:20 pm

Relax, I've been away.

Never a Gentlemen's Game - Malcolm Knox: I love this book, burying myths from the Golden Age until now. I'll never listen to any of these old-timers talk about how the spirit of the game was so much more important in their day than today. Fact is, now the players probably get away with less than they did in the 'olden days'. There's some great stories in there.

The Summer Game - Neville Cardus: Just a beautiful writer from the very old school. First published in 1929, Cardus uses all of his skills to paint a portrait of the game at the time, not shying away from some of the controversies either. Given it starts in the village green, there's plenty of names you may not have heard, and stories fresh to you.

First Tests - Steve Cannane: It's the book I wish I'd written. It's the book that we have all experienced - playing Test matches with our mates on varying surfaces and in varying yards. It's wonderful to read about the players before they were players.

The A to Z of Australian Cricketers - An anthology of Australian first class players from the start of the game until 1997, with small pen pics on the players. I thumbed this book so often when I was younger and it provided an endless source of info and stats. Edited by Roland Cashman, Jim Maxwell and others. I bought it for $7.95 at John Martin's, Elizabeth.

The Story of Jack Iverson, Mystery Spinner - Gideon Haigh: The first book I can recall reading by Haigh. I chased this one up. I love it for the romance of Iverson's rise to glory and the tragedy of his fall. It has a very sad ending. A player very few can readily recall these days and Haigh does a wonderful job bringing him back to life.

Cricket Crisis - Jack Fingleton: This dog-eared book once belonged to my grandfather. It's fascinating. I really enjoyed this book, but as is the way of books from this era is not as colourful as it could have been. But how can you resist a book on the most infamous series in Australian cricket history, written by someone who was there?

Sorry, I put six here. I probably could've mentioned loads more.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:26 pm

So many books in other people's lists that I really enjoyed as well. WG, Border and Beyond and Jack Pollard's book on keepers.
Richie Robinson's book on Australian captains is also pretty good.

I got the Sachin one for Christmas and am really looking forward to reading that.
I also received Rhino to review. It was probably a more enjoyable read due to the Northern Suburbs connection (I don't have the Boof book, strangely).

The worst one I've read? I read it just recently, picked it up for $2 at an op shop - Shane Watson's book. For someone who dislikes him anyway, his book does him no favours - it's never his fault, he's not really a sledger and his injury issues are exaggerated. A frustrating read but unsurprising.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:57 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:So many books in other people's lists that I really enjoyed as well. WG, Border and Beyond and Jack Pollard's book on keepers.

I got the Sachin one for Christmas and am really looking forward to reading that.
I also received Rhino to review. It was probably a more enjoyable read due to the Northern Suburbs connection (I don't have the Boof book, strangely).

The worst one I've read? I read it just recently, picked it up for $2 at an op shop - Shane Watson's book. For someone who dislikes him anyway, his book does him no favours - it's never his fault, he's not really a sledger and his injury issues are exaggerated. A frustrating read but unsurprising.

I found Gillys first book a little frustrating as he seemed to sook a fair bit and it was like a tribute to his wife. Some good parts but not one of the better ones.

I found Mark Waughs book pretty hypocritical at times as he spent chapters teeing off on the media and now does the exact things himself that he constantly complained about. Apart from that it wasn't too bad and as someone whose entire career unfolded before my eyes as a spectator it was good to follow.

Has anyone read KPs. I'm looking forward to reading that one.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:04 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Relax, I've been away.

Never a Gentlemen's Game - Malcolm Knox: I love this book, burying myths from the Golden Age until now. I'll never listen to any of these old-timers talk about how the spirit of the game was so much more important in their day than today. Fact is, now the players probably get away with less than they did in the 'olden days'. There's some great stories in there.

The Summer Game - Neville Cardus: Just a beautiful writer from the very old school. First published in 1929, Cardus uses all of his skills to paint a portrait of the game at the time, not shying away from some of the controversies either. Given it starts in the village green, there's plenty of names you may not have heard, and stories fresh to you.

First Tests - Steve Cannane: It's the book I wish I'd written. It's the book that we have all experienced - playing Test matches with our mates on varying surfaces and in varying yards. It's wonderful to read about the players before they were players.

The A to Z of Australian Cricketers - An anthology of Australian first class players from the start of the game until 1997, with small pen pics on the players. I thumbed this book so often when I was younger and it provided an endless source of info and stats. Edited by Roland Cashman, Jim Maxwell and others. I bought it for $7.95 at John Martin's, Elizabeth.

The Story of Jack Iverson, Mystery Spinner - Gideon Haigh: The first book I can recall reading by Haigh. I chased this one up. I love it for the romance of Iverson's rise to glory and the tragedy of his fall. It has a very sad ending. A player very few can readily recall these days and Haigh does a wonderful job bringing him back to life.

Cricket Crisis - Jack Fingleton: This dog-eared book once belonged to my grandfather. It's fascinating. I really enjoyed this book, but as is the way of books from this era is not as colourful as it could have been. But how can you resist a book on the most infamous series in Australian cricket history, written by someone who was there?

Sorry, I put six here. I probably could've mentioned loads more.

A list worth waiting for :D

I've got a book by Swanton summarising/ a compendium/memoir of his various tours to Australia which is wonderful in it's writing style from a pre-WW2 education point of view. i've got to get my hands on some Cardus tomes.
am Bays
Coach

Postby whufc » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:19 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:So many books in other people's lists that I really enjoyed as well. WG, Border and Beyond and Jack Pollard's book on keepers.

I found Gillys first book a little frustrating as he seemed to sook a fair bit and it was like a tribute to his wife. Some good parts but not one of the better ones.

I found Mark Waughs book pretty hypocritical at times as he spent chapters teeing off on the media and now does the exact things himself that he constantly complained about. Apart from that it wasn't too bad and as someone whose entire career unfolded before my eyes as a spectator it was good to follow.

Has anyone read KPs. I'm looking forward to reading that one.

Good call on Mark Waugh

Was renowned world wide for his arrogance and disrespect to all media folk during his playing days

Read a book about a cricket journalist who came from the Barossa to tour with the aussie side for years

Lol can't remember his name (have had a few drinks) but it was a really good read
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:34 pm

My review of Rhino, the Ryan Harris autobiography:

HOW many Test matches in the famous Australian Baggy Green do you have to play before you write your autobiography?
That question comes to mind when you consider fast bowler Ryan Harris has released an autobiography – Rhino.
The front cover quote “...one of the finest bowlers seen in Australia since at least the turn of the century” hardly fills you with confidence that the subject of this book has earned the need to have their tale told.
However, Tim Zoehrer (The Gloves Are Off) played only 10 Tests and Mike Whitney (Quick Whit) had 12 matches, while at the time of publication (prior to the recently completed Test series against India) Harris had played 24 times for his nation.
Those figures, plus the prominent role Harris played in last summer's emphatic Ashes win and the following victory over South Africa, would suggest there is plenty of interest in the former Northern Districts lad's tale.
'Rhino', possibly the first Trinity College student to publish an autobiography (with the help of Jason Phelan and Stephen Gray), tells a fairly standard Australian cricket story – talented youth who makes sport his future after a few minor scrapes whilst building an image of a knockabout character.
The book starts with his foundations at Salisbury Cricket Club, follows through to his first class start and then on to his debut with the national ODI side, before gaining that longed-for Baggy Green.
Harris touches on personal moments, including his much-loved mother's passing, his connection with Darren 'Boof' Lehmann and the highly-publicised and ultimately dismissed sexual assault complaint in the Northern Territory during a training camp with an SA side.
Local readers will also be interested in the references to the Central District Football Club and the tragic loss of Jets clubmate Craig Haines in a Gawler service station shooting in 1997.
The tale of a late bloomer who realised his talent before it was too late, the cornerstone of Harris' tale, as it is with his cricket, is his lionhearted on-field efforts (few bowlers put up with as much as Harris when it comes to their body).
It is this characteristic that makes the now Queensland-based paceman such a popular cricketer among Australian fans and such an interesting story.
Rhino is a good summer read and one suspects there are at least a couple more chapters to be written in his career, including as the future coach of the Australian cricket side (remember where you read that prediction first).
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:07 pm

robranisgod wrote:The best cricket book I have ever read was "Ten for Sixty Six and All that" by Arthur Mailey.

The piece on Mailey bowling to Trumper in a grade game in Sydney is one of the best chapters of any book I have ever read, sport or otherwise.

Mailey took 10 for 66 for Australia against Gloucestershire in 1921. He jokingly said that he could have taken 10 for 36 but it wouldn't have made nearly as good a title for a book.

I am a huge fan of Gideon Haigh but I was very disappointed in "Cricket War" given the rave reviews that it has got over the years from every respected critic. I know that history is written by the victors but Haigh has many factual inaccuracies and he doesn't give any regard to the fact that the young cricketers who went to WSC by and large failed to impact test cricket after the truce, yet the ACB side produced players of the ilk of Border and Hughes as well as very serviceable test cricketers like Wood, Yallop, Hogg, Dymock and Higgs.

Your last point is a good one rig, given the general impression, both from the book and other sources was that the ACB was on it's knees.
Can you enlighten us as to some of the errors in the book? Not doubting you, just that I was young when I read it and it was seminal to me at the time.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:23 pm

Bradman album's anyone? makes very interesting reading. Oh and the worlds best cricket sledges is pretty funny.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby Failed Creation » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:26 pm

tigerpie wrote:Bradman album's anyone? makes very interesting reading. Oh and the worlds best cricket sledges is pretty funny.

I own the Bradman Albums, and I never cease to re-read them.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3308 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:57 pm

tigerpie wrote:Bradman album's anyone? makes very interesting reading.

Hagiography.

Currently reading Pup's Ashes Diary. The book gives me a real insight into why an article like yesterday's would come out about him.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:54 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Bradman album's anyone? makes very interesting reading.

Hagiography.

Currently reading Pup's Ashes Diary. The book gives me a real insight into why an article like yesterday's would come out about him.

What article, twice I have heard it mentioned but haven't seen it anywhere???
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:41 am

Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/michael-clarke-on-a-collision-course-with-cricket-australia-as-his-teammates-move-on-20150126-12y7wd.html

Thanks mate. Like most newspapers it appears dramatised for effect.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:10 pm

I just received these from a work colleague, whose British father-in-law based in Thailand sent over for me. We correspond about many things, mainly cricket. The gentleman, about to turn 80, loves the game and the way the Australians play.

( Why did I feel like Psyber then? )

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:07 pm

^^^

WG Grace Ate My Pedalo :

What a brilliant read. It's a spoof of an 1896 Widens Cricketers Annual that looks through Victorian eyes at cricket in 2010. It is a satirical look at the world of cricket.

If anyone wants a read ( most of you lot will knock it over in under a week ) pm me an address and I'll happily use works money to send it to you with a self addressed envelope for returning it.

Very funny stuff.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:29 am

OK a new number one - with a bullet: The Keepers By Malcolm Knox.

As I said below, as a poor keeper who loved spending my summers behind the sticks trying to make my bowlers and fielders look good got this on christmas day and was hesitant to read it as I thought it might be a just a re-hash of Pollards book from 1993. However this is 360 odd pages of 'Keepingology Gold. Knox has interviewed all the living Australian Test keeprs to do this book (except Neville as obviously his deadline preceeded the 2nd 2015 Lords test). He has used his prior research in writing Never a Gentlemans Game to write on the likes of Blackham, Murdoch, Kelly and Carter and then used interviews and research to discuss the keepers since Oldfield. The best bits are the discussions of the nearly never was's Maddocks, Taber, McLean, Wright who either had to wait long times to get a crack or because of selection perceptions or team needs only got a few tests or had there careers cut short. Great book, makes me want to get the kit bag and bring out the old faithfulls or find a brick wall and do the old golf drill up to 100 again!

For me once i started reading this i couldn't put it down unless I had to do in the finest traditions of Marshy, get another beer....

am Bays wrote:From the Steve Smith captaincy test thread I was inspired by Footy Smart's and Dogwatcher's comment on cricket books (of which I've got a few :D )

It got me thinking what are you're favourite cricket books? Borrowing from the move High Fidelity where Rob, Barry and Dick spent most of the time discussing their top 5 albums/songs for whatever; what are your top 5 cricket books in your collection?

Mine:

1. The Gloveman - Jack Pollard
As a 'keeper I'm naturally drawn to history of the trade I plied poorly on the cricket field but loved watching on the TV. My favourite bit of cricket footage is: Butcher St Healy b Bevan at Old Trafford in 1997. A brilliant legside stumping from a ball that just kept drifting down leg side by the best 'Keeper I've ever seen. To read of the likes of: Blackham, Carter, Oldfield, Duckworth, Tallon. Langley, Grout, Knott, Taylor, Marsh and Bari is just magic and Pollard has a good easy ready writing style. I love his other works too such as Six and Out which I couldn't find a spot for here.

2. Border and Beyond - Mark Ray
A critical look at the years of Border's captaincy by former first class cricketer Mark Ray who was able to get on the inside of the Australian team to an extent due to his playing background (doubled as a net bowler whilst he was part of the Poison Typewriters Club - nod to DK). This is a really good read as Australia rose from being an also rans in 1984 to the challenging the West indies for the title of dominant test nation in 1994. it illustrates Borders personal growth from reluctant test captain to the outstanding leader he was and how the likes of Boon, Marsh, Jones, and Healey would support him in his role.

3. Never a Gentlemans game - Malcolm Knox
As I said before if you think any of the current cricket controversies are new in the last 40 years think again. All been done before in the same period 100 years earlier. Got a bit hard to read at times due to Knox quoting and referencing multiple sources and at times I thought he was showing too much bias to the players argument against the then administrators. Still a damn good read though and made me more aware of what is referred to over in the home country as "The Golden Age of cricket. Malcolm also wrote one of my other favourite books Taylor and beyond which looked at the Mark Taylor years as test captain but not as well IMO as Ray looks at the Border years.

4. Golden Boy - Christopher Ryan
The unauthorised "biography" of Kim Hughes due to the fact he didn't want to dredge up old wounds that he had healed with Marsh and Lillee. Really looks at that turbulent 10 years of Australian cricket from 1977 to 1987 as he was seen as the Golden haired establishment boy who was thrust up against the big three WSC boys of Chappell, Marsh and Lillee. The book exposes the depth of ill-feeling at the time in WA and Australian cricket and culminates with the Rebel tours of South Africa and how Hughes became involved in it. A thoroughly good read that took me back to my time when I first started watching this game on the ABC (1978-79) and my first real cricket hero Rodney Marsh.

5. Extra Cover- Jack Egan
A book I read three times cover to cover when I first got it (well we were driving from Darwin to Adelaide for holidays in 1989) This book is a collection of interviews jack Egan did with various cricket identities in late 1988 and early 1989. it includes but is not limited to then current test umpires, players (M Taylor, M Hughes and T May to name but a few) Shield cricketers, Cricket Commentators, former players, journalists, administrators, coaches, Australian medical staff, fans and selectors. it is a good read and a bit of marker in history for what was happening in Australian cricket right before we started to dominate the cricket world through the 90s.

HMs to:
6. First Tests - Sam Connell
7. The Chappell Era - Mike Coward
8. Six and out - Jack Pollard
9. The Game is Not the Same - Norm Tasker with Alan McGilvray
10. Bowlology - Damien Flemming (semi autobiographical, self deprecating, anecdotal p!ss funny insight into Australian cricket during the Bowlologists playing era)
am Bays
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket