South Africa vs Australia 2nd Test

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: South Africa vs Australia 2nd Test

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:12 am

smithy wrote:
RoosterMarty wrote:That is two obvious ones this Test that the Saffies have referred with Amla's LBW in the first dig referred also despite the fact it was plumb.

Maybe they just couldn't believe that Mitch Johnson swung the ball.

Here's a hint, try watching some cricket. Mitch has been swinging the ball back in all series.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:34 am

What a difference it makes when the selectors pick players who are currently in form and not just go with reputation or the safe option.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:10 am

WAsn't it W C Fields who said: Reports of my death are very much over exaggerated...

Australian Cricket: Reports of my demise are very much over exaggerated...

A few of the anti-Australian criket posters are very conspicuous by their absence, they were all over the cricket forum when India and South Africa beat us late last year...*Insert sound of crickets chirping here*
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Jimmy_041 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:20 am

rod_rooster wrote:Great effort from the Aussies. To go over there and win the first two Tests is a massive effort and one of the biggest achievements for some time. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Ditto RR - Not easy going over there when you've just been towelled up at home

Good to see some young'uns get a chance on form
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 726 times
Been liked: 1080 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Pup » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:38 am

SA already made some changes for the next test.

Morkel and McKenzie both dropped, Smith out injured.

In comes Prince as Captain and he will open the batting most likely with another new comer in Khan and also added to the squad was Parnell. Albie Morkel a very good chance to take his brothers spot.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby wycbloods » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:43 am

Pup wrote:SA already made some changes for the next test.

In comes Prince as Captain and he will open the batting most likely with another new comer in Khan and also added to the squad was Parnell. Albie Morkel a very good chance to take his brothers spot.

Thats a lot of changes in one test. A little knee jerk reaction i think.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:00 am

IMO McKenzie's bad form has gone under the radar a little due to how well the overall South African team was going.

Morkel is definatley struggling for consistency an area which SAF were so good over here with. Ntini is another who struggles for consistency so with both not at their best form it's hard to build the attack around them.

What changes will Australia make. McDonald (who i don't really like and rate) has done a very workman like job and could consider himself unlucky if dropped.

I personally think Johnson needs to be rested, he is gonna be the go to man for the next 5-10 years so dead rubbers like this will be the perfect chance to let him re-energise and not burn him out. Siddle has been brilliant this series and will be crucial again in the Ashes so maybe he needs to be rested as his carrying the foot injury.

My Aussie team for the 3rd test
1. S.Katich
2. P.Hughes
3. R.Ponting
4. M.Hussey
5. M.Clarke
6. M.North
7. B.Haddin
8. A.McDonald
9. B.Geeves
10. S.Magoffin
11. B.Hilfenhaus
whufc
Coach

Postby Drop Bear » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 am

whufc wrote:IMO McKenzie's bad form has gone under the radar a little due to how well the overall South African team was going.

Morkel is definatley struggling for consistency an area which SAF were so good over here with. Ntini is another who struggles for consistency so with both not at their best form it's hard to build the attack around them.

What changes will Australia make. McDonald (who i don't really like and rate) has done a very workman like job and could consider himself unlucky if dropped.

I personally think Johnson needs to be rested, he is gonna be the go to man for the next 5-10 years so dead rubbers like this will be the perfect chance to let him re-energise and not burn him out. Siddle has been brilliant this series and will be crucial again in the Ashes so maybe he needs to be rested as his carrying the foot injury.

My Aussie team for the 3rd test
1. S.Katich
2. P.Hughes
3. R.Ponting
4. M.Hussey
5. M.Clarke
6. M.North
7. B.Haddin
8. A.McDonald
9. B.Geeves
10. S.Magoffin
11. B.Hilfenhaus

Leave Johnson in and go for the throat. A little bit of payback for how they flogged us at home.
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Pup » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 am

McGain for McDonald.

We certainly need a spinner IMO. If Johnson and Siddle are right leave them in the side. They have a weeks rest and i dont believe in gifting baggy greens just because someone is tired and we already have the series won.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:52 am

I wouldn't say they flogged us and if you count both series we are leading 3-2. With the last 3 wins to us. Mitchell Johnson being fresh for the ashes is more important than a dead rubber IMHO.
whufc
Coach

Postby rod_rooster » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:07 am

Pup wrote:McGain for McDonald.

We certainly need a spinner IMO. If Johnson and Siddle are right leave them in the side. They have a weeks rest and i dont believe in gifting baggy greens just because someone is tired and we already have the series won.

Agree. Johnson can be rested from the one dayers and he isn't playing in the IPL. There is a weeks break between now and the next Test anyway so i can't see the need to rest him. He will have plenty of time off between now and the Ashes. Go for the throat and as Pup said don't just go gifting baggy greens for the sake of it. You rest players from one dayers and 20/20 rubbish not from Test cricket.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:11 am

Jimmy_041 wrote:
rod_rooster wrote:Great effort from the Aussies. To go over there and win the first two Tests is a massive effort and one of the biggest achievements for some time. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Ditto RR - Not easy going over there when you've just been towelled up at home

Good to see some young'uns get a chance on form

He's a wise sage our RR...
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:50 am

I reckon they might need to rest Siddle but that's it. Oh and Hussey the dud.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby RoosterMarty » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:29 pm

Rest Siddle to make sure he gets over his injury, maybe trial McGain but why do we need him when we have the Kat???

It's also pretty funny that Prince couldn't even get a game before and now he's Captain?????
RoosterMarty
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dirko » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:43 pm

Absolutely pumped the Aussies won. That'll send a shiver down the Poms spine....

Need to win the last test, so we can re assert out authority over the Boks, and make it a 4 - 2 series....
The joy of being on the hill drinking beer cannot be understated
Dirko
Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:Rest Siddle to make sure he gets over his injury, maybe trial McGain but why do we need him when we have the Kat???

It's also pretty funny that Prince couldn't even get a game before and now he's Captain?????

Can't believe I didn't get in first with that one!

GO THE KAT!! YAY!!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby brod » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:26 pm

RoosterMarty wrote:Rest Siddle to make sure he gets over his injury, maybe trial McGain but why do we need him when we have the Kat???

South Africa made apoint of saying that even though Prince was not in the squad for the first test, that he retained his place as the official Vice Captain
brod
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby brod » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:27 pm

Pup wrote:SA already made some changes for the next test.

I think that Amla will slide up to open the batting
brod
Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 26 times

Postby stan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:30 pm

brod wrote:

South Africa made apoint of saying that even though Prince was not in the squad for the first test, that he retained his place as the official Vice Captain

I would of had Duminey opening and Prince in along time ago. I do not like McKenzie as a batsmen, well when we are playing against him I do but thats about it.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby wycbloods » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:59 pm

rod_rooster wrote:
Pup wrote:McGain for McDonald.

Agree. Johnson can be rested from the one dayers and he isn't playing in the IPL. There is a weeks break between now and the next Test anyway so i can't see the need to rest him. He will have plenty of time off between now and the Ashes. Go for the throat and as Pup said don't just go gifting baggy greens for the sake of it. You rest players from one dayers and 20/20 rubbish not from Test cricket.

Couldn't agree more with all that you two have written but especially the highlighted text.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Dr. Rev. Martin Luther King Jnr.

CoverKing said what?

Agree with AF on this one!
wycbloods
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 20 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket