South Africa vs Australia 1st Test

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: South Africa vs Australia 1st Test

Postby rod_rooster » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:28 pm

NFC wrote:Sure Hussey sucks big time right now, but there is no way he's getting dropped any time soon. And by any time I mean even if he fails every innings this series he's safe. But he won't because he's far too good. Faith people.

This is one of those rare occasions we agree NFC.
rod_rooster
Coach

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Gozu » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:09 am

Pidge wrote:Should we all be saying Hussey should retire? This reminds me of how quick people were to ssay Hayden should go. Of course he should stay in the side. Its a hard call for next match. McDonald or McGain. One of these two will play. That would be the only change IMO.

Mate, Hussey isn't in the greatest form at the moment but Hayden was dead set finished. One of the biggest criticisms of the selectors this summer was how long they persisted with Hayden.

I said he should've been dropped after the series in India. It was pretty obvious he was done. Timing, foot work, shot selection etc all gone. The guy was 37 for crying out loud. We should've blooded another opener in the NZ series in time for South Africa when they came over. It didn't happen, Hayden only got worse and the selectors deserved everything they copped.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 663 times

Postby Pup » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:40 am

Both Hilfenhaus and Siddle are in doubt for the second test.

Geeves and Macgoffin have both been flown over as cover. Bollinger already injured, would be a big blow if either cant play.
You sunk my Scrabbleship
Pup
Veteran

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby whufc » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:41 am

Absolutely proud to be wrong, i was one who doubted whether Australia could take 20 wickets, but they did :oops:. Lets continue to play that type of cricket and beat the Saffies on there own deck.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5648 times
Been liked: 2586 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:45 am

Gozu wrote:Mate, Hussey isn't in the greatest form at the moment but Hayden was dead set finished. One of the biggest criticisms of the selectors this summer was how long they persisted with Hayden.

I said he should've been dropped after the series in India. It was pretty obvious he was done. Timing, foot work, shot selection etc all gone. The guy was 37 for crying out loud. We should've blooded another opener in the NZ series in time for South Africa when they came over. It didn't happen, Hayden only got worse and the selectors deserved everything they copped.

Ah the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. A champion batsman can be said to be one knock away from recovering top form and if that happened then Hayden would be a massive asset to the team in South Africa and England. The selectors backed their man but it didn't pay off but it is only now we can say that it was a mistake and the selectors don't have that luxury. I reckon they've pulled some clueless decisions in recent times but the selection of Hayden wasn't one of them IMO.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1728 times
Been liked: 1837 times

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:53 am

I agree. Hayden earnt the right to some extra time to recover his form and the selectors repaid him with the chance to do so.

If you are going to be critical of the selectors over the summer of 08/09 consider:

Krezja taking 11 fa then not getting a chance on home soil to prove his wares, getting replaced by Nathan Hauritz.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7639 times
Been liked: 11104 times

Postby silicone skyline » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:54 am

Booney wrote:I agree. Hayden earnt the right to some extra time to recover his form and the selectors repaid him with the chance to do so.

If you are going to be critical of the selectors over the summer of 08/09 consider:

Krezja taking 11 fa then not getting a chance on home soil to prove his wares, getting replaced by Nathan Hauritz.

It was 12 fa :shock:
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Booney » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:56 am

12 then.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7639 times
Been liked: 11104 times

Postby silicone skyline » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:00 am

Robbed poor Jase of a test wicket!!! :lol:
Ruthless and Relentless
silicone skyline
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:02 am

Booney wrote:I agree. Hayden earnt the right to some extra time to recover his form and the selectors repaid him with the chance to do so.

Or Hilfenhaus not getting a go during the Australian series.....McDonald! Still can't believe that one. :shock:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1728 times
Been liked: 1837 times

Postby Tooting Bec » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

Or Hilfenhaus not getting a go during the Australian series.....McDonald! Still can't believe that one. :shock:

regards,

REB

i reckon you're being a bit harsh on Ronald there REB. He's doing a fine job with the ball at the moment, just hope he pulls it together with the bat.

Saying that he did provide the highlights of the summer with his batting antics against the short balls
Tooting Bec
Under 16s

Postby Drop Bear » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:25 pm

Gozu wrote: Mate, Hussey isn't in the greatest form at the moment but Hayden was dead set finished. One of the biggest criticisms of the selectors this summer was how long they persisted with Hayden.

1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Drop Bear » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:27 pm

Booney wrote:I agree. Hayden earnt the right to some extra time to recover his form and the selectors repaid him with the chance to do so. .

Well said. You have to give something back to these players that have given so much to Test cricket over the years and made the Aussies such a dominant force.
1. M Hayden.
Drop Bear
League - Top 5

Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket