Australian tour of India 2017

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian tour of India 2017

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:04 pm

Jim05 wrote:
absolutebath wrote:I love the Australian cricket team more than any other team so it pains me to say that we are going to get flogged over there.

3-0 India for mine with most of the squad used

You know it's a 4 test series?
Do you think one will be rained out?

A drawn Test perhaps to make it 3-0.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2238 times
Been liked: 2533 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:05 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
absolutebath wrote:I love the Australian cricket team more than any other team so it pains me to say that we are going to get flogged over there.

Just can see us scraping a draw without bad weather. Our batting is a huge concern
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:14 pm

I think with Handscomb and Renshew in they might surprise a few.
Plus IF Smith and Warner stand up over there, the Aussies may push them.
Maxwell, Wade and Shaun Marsh will know it's their last chance so I suspect one of them may finally get some decent runs.
I think we will pinch a win in one of the tests but lose 2-1 with perhaps a drawn test.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:55 pm

we wont get close to winning a game
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2639 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:12 pm

amber_fluid wrote:I think with Handscomb and Renshew in they might surprise a few.
Maxwell, Wade and Shaun Marsh will know it's their last chance so I suspect one of them may finally get some decent runs.
I think we will pinch a win in one of the tests but lose 2-1 with perhaps a drawn test.

if i remember correctly this is the 8th time in 6 years that shaun marsh has been recalled
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:17 pm

bennymacca wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:I think with Handscomb and Renshew in they might surprise a few.

if i remember correctly this is the 8th time in 6 years that shaun marsh has been recalled

Yeah this is the 5th time he has been on his last chance.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby absolutebath » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:32 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Yeah one of their roads will be so dead that we will be able negotiate spin on it.
We will make 550
They will make 700
We will be 7/195 late on day 5 when the game is called

I have no doubt that in at least two matches we will get embarrassed. I expect us to put in one great effort and lose and the aforementioned draw. A few blokes will have their papers stamped at the end of this tour.
absolutebath
Under 16s

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:22 pm

I'm not so convinced we'll do that badly. Warner and Khawaja are too talented and too proud to be counted out. Renshaw is a complete unknown and his patience might be a real trump card. Handscomb and Smith in the middle order are both generally comfortable against spin. If we can keep the pressure off the middle order and particularly Smith then I think decent totals are on the cards. Will be interesting to see how India prepare their pitches to combat Starc and Hazlewood. If they make them too flat then their bowlers might struggle even more.

However, the key IMHO is we absolutely can't pick a rubbish bat at #6 because they bowl. Maxwell or Head can bowl a bit if need be but most importantly both are capable and will have India's respect. Or better yet, let's go back to Callum Ferguson and give him the spot he shouldn't have lost.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby RB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:12 pm

He was unlucky to be dropped after Hobart but I'm not sure that Ferguson has made enough runs lately even to be considered for selection.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 773 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:32 pm

Grahaml wrote:I'm not so convinced we'll do that badly. Warner and Khawaja are too talented and too proud to be counted out. Renshaw is a complete unknown and his patience might be a real trump card. Handscomb and Smith in the middle order are both generally comfortable against spin. If we can keep the pressure off the middle order and particularly Smith then I think decent totals are on the cards. Will be interesting to see how India prepare their pitches to combat Starc and Hazlewood. If they make them too flat then their bowlers might struggle even more.

However, the key IMHO is we absolutely can't pick a rubbish bat at #6 because they bowl. Maxwell or Head can bowl a bit if need be but most importantly both are capable and will have India's respect. Or better yet, let's go back to Callum Ferguson and give him the spot he shouldn't have lost.

I had full by in until you mentioned Callum Ferguson bwaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

I would play Mitch Marsh before that spud!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5615 times
Been liked: 2542 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Grahaml wrote:I'm not so convinced we'll do that badly. Warner and Khawaja are too talented and too proud to be counted out. Renshaw is a complete unknown and his patience might be a real trump card. Handscomb and Smith in the middle order are both generally comfortable against spin. If we can keep the pressure off the middle order and particularly Smith then I think decent totals are on the cards. Will be interesting to see how India prepare their pitches to combat Starc and Hazlewood. If they make them too flat then their bowlers might struggle even more.

You do know that Head isn't in the squad don't you?
Maxwell if picked is the only part time tweaker in the squad
Jim05
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:if i remember correctly this is the 8th time in 6 years that shaun marsh has been recalled

Nice stat Benny and even after all those chances and recalls he has never consolidated his spot in the team. Everytime he is fit they pick him without question almost regardless of form yet others do the 'hard yards' to be selected. If awfully frustrating!! They're can't be another cricketer that has had that sort of career.

He gets one set of rules to the other batsman. Compare Marsh to-
Renshaw and Hanscomb, picked after very good form in the Sheffield Shield and they're starting to florish in the baggy green.
Khawaja, was dropped in Sri Lanka when he struggled, came back into the team after a good start to the shield and has had a good summer.
Voges and Burns, picked after very good shield form then dropped after they struggled haven't been great since, Voges won't play test cricket again while it's hard to see Burns get back into the side. They're not going to just waltz back in like a Marsh.
Finch and Bailey- dropped because of poor form (ODI cricket) but haven't just waltzed back into the squad after a few injuries to squad members.

Just continues to get a free ride.

As for Ferg he was a scapegoat and a victim of the different rules for different people approach the selectors seem to have.

Picked on the back of some good shield form, has a horror debut then was just tossed aside for Nic Maddison, a guy picked on potential ahead of more suitable batsman and he failed because he was clearly not up to it. Wouldn't blame Ferg for being pissed off about the whole situation.

Different rules for different people also applies to Mitch Marsh.

Not to forget the bolwers too. You have Chadd Sayers absolutely f**king killed it in the first half of the shield season but couldn't get a gig. Opposite you have Pat Cummins who when fit is straight back into the ODI team no questions asked. Picked on potential but to his credit is going reasonably well. The way he's going they'll pick him for test cricket on the back of T20 and ODI cricket ahead of Chadd because they love him so much.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10404 times
Been liked: 1538 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:35 pm

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/jon-holl ... 2017-01-17

Victoria spinner Jon Holland says he has "no idea" why he was overlooked for Australia's Test tour of India, adding he'll be fit to return to first-class cricket in two weeks.

Holland, the leading spinner in Shield cricket this summer, played two Tests in Sri Lanka last year but has missed out on Australia's 16-man squad for the four-Test series, with Australia opting instead for incumbents Nathan Lyon and Steve O'Keefe, as well as Western Australia's Ashton Agar and uncapped Queensland legspinner Mitchell Swepson.

The left-armer has been sidelined by an ankle injury for the past six weeks but has returned to training and will play second XI cricket in Geelong next week and then Victoria's Shield match against NSW starting on February 1, which is more than three weeks before the first Test against India in Pune. The 29-year-old says he hasn't had any contact with selectors in five months so he's unable to explain why he wasn't picked.

"I haven't spoken to a selector since the last Test in Sri Lanka," Holland told cricket.com.au. "I've had no communication with anyone.

"I've got no idea (if injury was a factor). No one has tried to get in contact with me and ask me how I'm going.

"I guess it's disappointing. I got over to Sri Lanka and had a couple of net sessions before the first Test and I felt like I learnt a lot over there. And I've come back here and my bowling has improved a lot.

"I've taken almost 50 wickets in my last eight Shield games. "It'd be interesting to see what the reasons are that I didn't get selected. No one has been in contact with me so I've got no idea."
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10404 times
Been liked: 1538 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:48 pm

thats bloody ridiculous that they havent had any contact at all with someone who has played a test in the last year.

I would have thought at a minimum once a month or half season they would be touching base with everyone they consider remotely close to a test berth
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:59 pm

what a great message they are sending to young cricketers

it wasn't much more than 6 weeks ago when boof told maxwell he has to make runs at shield level to even be considered. he doesnt do that and is picked as pretty much the only number 6 in the touring party.

holland takes bags of wickets for fun but because warney says so, swepson is the man they take.

sayers is clearly the best bowler in the country outside of hazelwood and starc but doesnt seem close to selection

mitch marsh considered a bowling allrounder now after failing as a batting allrounder a month ago - and cant even bowl due to a shoulder injury

cartwright goes from test incumbent to out of the next touring party even though he seems perfectly suited for the role of part time seamers in india where we will play 2 spinners

shaun marsh at least had runs on the board in his previous test match and has runs in the subcontinent. so i can see why he is picked as a backup batsmen.

why is agar going? he isnt good enough yet as the second spinner and isnt good enough to bat at 6 and play as the third spinner. surely only one of he and swepson should have gone if it was for developmental reasons.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 pm

I can see why Sayers has been left out Birds test record is very handy and he was very good this summer. Sayers is just a victim of having good depth. The only area we have good depth

I don't think it's a bad deciscion not to take Cartwright to India but can't understand why he was picked as an 'all rounder' for the Sydney test his bowling is horrible.

The rest I agree with

To be honest and I'll probably get critiscm but I don't think Lehmann has done a very good as coach and some the standards Aussie cricket has set have really gone backwards.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5615 times
Been liked: 2542 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby RB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:15 pm

bennymacca wrote:sayers is clearly the best bowler in the country.

EFA
RB
Coach

Postby RB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:15 pm

bennymacca wrote:thats bloody ridiculous that they havent had any contact at all with someone who has played a test in the last year.

I would have thought at a minimum once a month or half season they would be touching base with everyone they consider remotely close to a test berth

Yep. How hard is it to make a ten minute phone call?
RB
Coach

Postby RB » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:19 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
bennymacca wrote:if i remember correctly this is the 8th time in 6 years that shaun marsh has been recalled

Nice stat Benny and even after all those chances and recalls he has never consolidated his spot in the team. Everytime he is fit they pick him without question almost regardless of form yet others do the 'hard yards' to be selected. If awfully frustrating!! They're can't be another cricketer that has had that sort of career.

What makes S. Marsh's dream run with selectors even more of a joke is his history of failing against good teams, like India and England, but cashing in against the worst Windies side in history and this disparity going unnoticed.
RB
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 pm

RB wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

What makes S. Marsh's dream run with selectors even more of a joke is his history of failing against good teams, like India and England, but cashing in against the worst Windies side in history and this disparity going unnoticed.

To be fair to Marsh he has only played1 test against England.
He has a good record against the Windies, Lankans and Saffers.
Interestingly he has played the Indians the most and has a very ordinary record against them but he has never played them in India
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket