Australian International Season 2022/23

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Season 2022/23

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:20 pm

Corona Man wrote:
Some good names there I missed. Not being a smart arse here, but was Trumper an opener or middle order bat?

@mal?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:43 pm

Taylor has Warner covered for mine albeit Warner was more of a match winner.

Taylor averaged exactly 43 home and away. Warner on the other hand has been somewhat of a home country bully, averaging a modest 37 away. I think think Warner’s away record does damper his brilliance a tad.

I give Taylor some extra credit as well given he had the added pressure of captaining the side for a lot of his career.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:09 pm

Corona Man wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Where would he rank in our list of best openers?

He's up there, no doubt.

However he's challenging for #1 knob in Australian sport. Kyrigos, Simmons, Warner... photo finish. Good thing Tomic has retired.

Up there and in the conversation but Hayden, Simpson, Morris, Lawry, Langer, Woodfull and Taylor are better for mine (top four in particular)

Pro-rata Morris Lawry and Taylor far fewer ducks than Warner which could be considered an indicator of an ability to stay in initially.

Morris and Lawry certainly better averages.

Some good names there I missed. Not being a smart arse here, but was Trumper an opener or middle order bat?

good get, I thought he was more of a number three

Based on ESPNCricinfo most of his career was spent as an opener. He only averaged 39. "Only" given the nature of uncovered pitches, equipment etc

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/records/team/series_results.html?class=1;id=190;type=decade

So I suppose he's in tthe conversation
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby mal » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:03 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

@mal?

Vic was a superstar opener
High back lift gave him the scope to play attacking shots
He was king of the kids
Kids would visit his sports store and Vic would treat them with give aways , he often put people in front of profits
If I was to compare Vic with a modern day player, probably Ricky Ponting batting Baz-ball
Vic was considered the premier world right hand batsman of his day

My Australian openers in order are
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Bill Lawry
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1167 times
Been liked: 924 times

Postby jackpot jim » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:14 pm

mal wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Corona Man wrote:

@mal?

Vic was a superstar opener
High back lift gave him the scope to play attacking shots
He was king of the kids
Kids would visit his sports store and Vic would treat them with give aways , he often put people in front of profits
If I was to compare Vic with a modern day player, probably Ricky Ponting batting Baz-ball
Vic was considered the premier world right hand batsman of his day

My Australian openers in order are
Victor Trumper
Arthur Morris
Bill Lawry
'

That settles it then

Thou great one has spoken ;)
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 452 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:28 pm

Only person on here that actually saw Victor Trumper bat is Mal.
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:42 pm

Brodlach wrote:Only person on here that actually saw Victor Trumper bat is Mal.

From the non-strikers end
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:00 pm

.Image
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1534 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:33 pm

Geez Warner is a funny bugger.

Posted pics on social media of him on a plane with his family with the caption 'Bali here we come'

He then missed todays optional training session.

No one panic though he posted moments ago saying it was a hoax and he is most definitely in Sydney.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
whufc
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:14 pm

That’s a shame. Stay in Kuta you piece of steaming shit.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:00 pm

Australia's Head-scratcher - does their 'brilliant' No. 5 make the cut for India?
https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/aus- ... ia-1350378
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:53 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Australia's Head-scratcher - does their 'brilliant' No. 5 make the cut for India?

I'm a massive horse for courses person but Heads sheer rate of runs at the moment means he has to be given first crack over there.

In saying that if he was to have a shocking first test then you probably have to replace him.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:33 pm

whufc wrote:Geez Warner is a funny bugger.

Posted pics on social media of him on a plane with his family with the caption 'Bali here we come'

He then missed todays optional training session.

No one panic though he posted moments ago saying it was a hoax and he is most definitely in Sydney.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He's about as funny as syphilis.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:38 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Australia's Head-scratcher - does their 'brilliant' No. 5 make the cut for India?

I'm a massive horse for courses person but Heads sheer rate of runs at the moment means he has to be given first crack over there.

In saying that if he was to have a shocking first test then you probably have to replace him.

Agreed Head should be given first crack, I think Ashwin will get him out for fun though but who do you think would replace Head in the team? Handscomb?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:

Agreed Head should be given first crack, I think Ashwin will get him out for fun though but who do you think would replace Head in the team? Handscomb?

Thats the other big question mark isn't it. TBH I don't watch enough shield to know who the real good players of spin are.

The like for like would be Maxwell but im not comfortable with the fact that he hasn't chosen to play shield so therefore can't come into the test side...yes i know Warner made the test team without playing shield.

I've just always battled with the concept we pick bowlers based on pitch conditions (rightfully so as well) yet when it comes to batsmen we just pick the same 6 no matter where despite the fact we all know some players are better suited to pace vs spin and vica versa. Handscombe/Renshaw are the two next in line you would think but yeah not sure about them on indian wickets.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:13 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:

Thats the other big question mark isn't it. TBH I don't watch enough shield to know who the real good players of spin are.

The like for like would be Maxwell but im not comfortable with the fact that he hasn't chosen to play shield so therefore can't come into the test side...yes i know Warner made the test team without playing shield.

I've just always battled with the concept we pick bowlers based on pitch conditions (rightfully so as well) yet when it comes to batsmen we just pick the same 6 no matter where despite the fact we all know some players are better suited to pace vs spin and vica versa. Handscombe/Renshaw are the two next in line you would think but yeah not sure about them on indian wickets.

He wanted to, he got injured at a BBQ but not on the piss.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:17 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:

I'm backing Trav in, the confidence he will take with him from this summer and a lot tests in succession will benefit him. Usually we play a few tests and then have a lengthy lay off between series', they are flat knacker for a good 14 months.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dinglinga75 » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:41 pm

ACB will persist with Travis as they see him as a potential Australian captain
Dinglinga75
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:[quote="The Dark Knight"]Australia's Head-scratcher - does their 'brilliant' No. 5 make the cut for India?

He wanted to, he got injured at a BBQ but not on the piss.[/quote]Yeah, Maxwell has a fractured leg WHUFC.
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/feature ... 2022-11-22
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:25 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:

Jarrod Kimber has mentioned that point on various videos/podcasts of his, teams have always pick bowlers on conditions but seem happy sticking with the same top 5/6 batsmen no matter the conditions and what type of pitches they're playing on.
Handscomb and Renshaw did ok in the 2017 series in India.
The Dark Knight
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket