One test wonders

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: One test wonders

Postby RB » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:55 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Until Jamie Siddons, Queensland's Sam Trimble was regarded as the best player never to have played Tests.

In some quarters, KG Cunningham was regarded as unlucky.

Ian McLachlan was also regarded as unlucky by many in SA.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:09 pm

whufc wrote:James Brayshaw is statistically unlucky

His first class career would have him in the side no problems these days.

Brayshaw and Fergusson are similar players.
Good Shield cricketers but not good enough to go to the next level IMO.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Edited to include Hilton Cartwright.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:20 pm

List edited to remove Pat Cummins, who's obviously played a fair bit more than one Test now, and Hilton Cartwright, who has played two Tests.
Callum Ferguson and Joe Mennie remain asterixed, as they are still playing Shield cricket and could still get selected - although very unlikely.
Chadd Sayers has been added...
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby David Brent » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:List edited to remove Pat Cummins, who's obviously played a fair bit more than one Test now, and Hilton Cartwright, who has played two Tests.
Callum Ferguson and Joe Mennie remain asterixed, as they are still playing Shield cricket and could still get selected - although very unlikely.

If Sayers doesn't get another go & neither of those two above are selected ever again does that make it the last 5 players picked from SA have all only played the one game?

I'm not sure if Tait was before or after Manou on that Ashes tour.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Last* test

Manou Jul 30 - Aug 3 2009

Tait Jan 16-19 2008

*only for Manou
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:54 pm

David Brent wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:List edited to remove Pat Cummins, who's obviously played a fair bit more than one Test now, and Hilton Cartwright, who has played two Tests.

If Sayers doesn't get another go & neither of those two above are selected ever again does that make it the last 5 players picked from SA have all only played the one game?

I'm not sure if Tait was before or after Manou on that Ashes tour.

I was looking at that as I updated the post.
I guess you're right, if you don't include Lyon, who was playing for SA at the time of his debut.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby nowerman » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Mick Malone could have had a good career if he didn't sign up for Word Series Cricket. He scored 46 in his one Test innings, then took 6 wickets at an average of 12.83, including 5/ in the first innings.
He also played in Subiaco's drought breaking premiership team of 1973 in the WANFL.
nowerman
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby robranisgod » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:54 am

Grahaml wrote:Not sure of the accuracy, but I did once hear that of all the blokes in history to average 50 at first class level, D. Hussey is the only one to not play test cricket.

I just found this post. David Hussey must be absolutely spewing given the standard of player representing Australia now, but he isn't the only bloke to average 50 and not play in a test match.

Percy Beames who represented Victoria on 18 occasions between 1933 and 1946, scoring 1186 runs at 51.56. To some of us he is better known as the Melbourne Age's footy and cricket correspondent as we were growing up. He also played in Melbourne's 3 premierships in a row in 1939-41. There is a Percy Beames bar at the MCG.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby am Bays » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:21 pm

robranisgod wrote:I just found this post. David Hussey must be absolutely spewing given the standard of player representing Australia now, but he isn't the only bloke to average 50 and not play in a test match.

Character vs Performance?

robranisgod wrote:Percy Beames who represented Victoria on 18 occasions between 1933 and 1946, scoring 1186 runs at 51.56. To some of us he is better known as the Melbourne Age's footy and cricket correspondent as we were growing up. He also played in Melbourne's 3 premierships in a row in 1939-41. There is a Percy Beames bar at the MCG.

Was hard to squeeze into a Test XI of the 30s that includes: Bradman, McCabe, Barnes, Hassett, Richardson (33-36) Fingleton etc

Bit like the 90s early 00s in Australia
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:25 am

am Bays wrote:
robranisgod wrote:I just found this post. David Hussey must be absolutely spewing given the standard of player representing Australia now, but he isn't the only bloke to average 50 and not play in a test match.

Character vs Performance?

Yep, he is an absolute ballbag, couldn't handle the short ball either.

I went to an Australia A game a few years ago and he dropped a catch right in front of me, I said "Gee mate, I would've caught that without spilling a drop"
He turned to me and gave me a mouthful of expletives right in front of some kids.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby robranisgod » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:13 pm

am Bays wrote:
robranisgod wrote:Percy Beames who represented Victoria on 18 occasions between 1933 and 1946, scoring 1186 runs at 51.56. To some of us he is better known as the Melbourne Age's footy and cricket correspondent as we were growing up. He also played in Melbourne's 3 premierships in a row in 1939-41. There is a Percy Beames bar at the MCG.

Was hard to squeeze into a Test XI of the 30s that includes: Bradman, McCabe, Barnes, Hassett, Richardson (33-36) Fingleton etc

Bit like the 90s early 00s in Australia

Bradman was the best, McCabe was a great, Fingleton was a genuine test player but Barnes (1 test before the war) and Hassett (4 tests before the war) were only starting their test careers in 1938 (as was Bill Brown). This is sacrilege but Vic Richardson was a flop at test level (19 Tests for an average of 23.53 including one century.)

Sure in the early 1930s there was Ponsford, a champion, and Woodfull, an excellent opening batsman as well as the elegant Kippax but after 1934 there were plenty of openings for a bloke like Beames.

It was nothing like the 1990s with blokes like Len Darling (12 tests at 27.9) and Leo O'Brien (5 tests at 26.4) getting a game in the mid 1930s.

There is virtually no one alive now who can comment on these selection quirks but I guess people in 60 years time will ponder how Mike Veletta played 8 tests when there were so many talented players waiting in the wings at that time.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby Hondo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:53 pm

robranisgod wrote:There is virtually no one alive now who can comment on these selection quirks but I guess people in 60 years time will ponder how Mike Veletta played 8 tests when there were so many talented players waiting in the wings at that time.

He was a selectors' favourite for a while there. He had a great 86-86 Shield season including a big score in the Shield final. He then played an important role in the 1987 World Cup victory which lead to his test debut in the following home season 1987-88. IIRC he played in all 6 domestic tests that season at number 5 but only had a highest score in the 30s despite many starts. He then toured Pakistan in 1988 in the same series in which Ian Healy debuted but did not play a test.

Then he was recalled for the 88-89 test series v the West Indies after Dean Jones was dropped and took the number 3 spot. He lasted two tests again without doing anything before making way for Dean Jones' return.

So with 8 tests under his best and an average around 20 and a top score of 39 he stayed on the selectors' radar and toured with the dominant 89 Ashes squad. Then he played his final test v Pakistan in the 89-90 season, recalled to cover an injury and scored only 9.

Obviously a favourite and the selectors hoped he would deliver but just didn't do it. Later on they successfully persisted with players like Martyn, Langer and Hayden. But such a long run on the radar (3+ years) in the same era as Siddons and Lehmann were doing so well and not being selected seems really strange in hindsight.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket