2015 Ashes

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2015 Ashes

Postby am Bays » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:46 am

stan wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:I reckon we will struggle to retain the Ashes. Too many batsmen have question marks over them. With Broad, Anderson, Onions and Finn in home conditions it could prove tough for us to consistently score the 350 we need to keep the pressure on.

regards,

REB

Yep agree with this Reb. Our top order has issues and on those decks in those conditions will find it tough.

Yeah, nah...

Englands top order isn't exactly setting the world on fire either with big questions marks over the other opener for Cook (Robson is struggling agaisnt the yarpies twos ATM) and Cook struggled last season against the Indian seamers.

Bell and Root are quality on their home decks but really three of the top six are just as dodgy as ours.

Our attack will be just as good as Englands over there, so really it will come down to which top six can make the most the runs.

One advanage we have is our bottom five bat better than theirs. Watch England try to get Troott back into their top six (he is currently captaining the English Lions on their tour to The Veldt.

Won't be a walk in the park like 3013-14 but it is a series we can and should win (based on our bowlers). However if we take England lightly....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:27 am

hawks21 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:I reckon we will struggle to retain the Ashes. Too many batsmen have question marks over them. With Broad, Anderson, Onions and Finn in home conditions it could prove tough for us to consistently score the 350 we need to keep the pressure on.

regards,

REB

Little faith in our boys eh. I reckon we will win the series 2 -1. Got 3 batsmen in really good form in D. Warner, C. Rogers and S. Smith. We need to get M. Clark fit and firing and find a replacement for S. Watson as I think he is done at test level. I think J. Faulkner should be given a shot in the test squad as our all-rounder. As for our bowlers, I'm pretty sure we have the right stock to take over there and scare the shit out of them.

The English batting line up is far worse than ours IMO and i agree, we potentially have the attack to scare them and take 20 wickets!
I think Mitch Marsh has the alrounder spot if he stays fit but i do love Faulkners work, should be in the squad.

I like Mitch as well. But James is in great form at the moment and he knows how to get a job done.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:
hawks21 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:

regards,

REB

Little faith in our boys eh. I reckon we will win the series 2 -1. Got 3 batsmen in really good form in D. Warner, C. Rogers and S. Smith. We need to get M. Clark fit and firing and find a replacement for S. Watson as I think he is done at test level. I think J. Faulkner should be given a shot in the test squad as our all-rounder. As for our bowlers, I'm pretty sure we have the right stock to take over there and scare the shit out of them.

The English batting line up is far worse than ours IMO and i agree, we potentially have the attack to scare them and take 20 wickets!
I think Mitch Marsh has the alrounder spot if he stays fit but i do love Faulkners work, should be in the squad.

I like Mitch as well. But James is in great form at the moment and he knows how to get a job done.

Faulkner gets it done in ODI's.
Think his shield form is very ordinary. Need to stop picking blokes based on the mickey mouse forms
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:28 pm

Better yet Jim some people that comment on here need to get a clue and stop talking about Test squads based on what they have seen for the last month domestically. This should be in the gives me the shits thread
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:39 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:
hawks21 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:[quote="Rik E Boy"]I reckon we will struggle to retain the Ashes. Too many batsmen have question marks over them. With Broad, Anderson, Onions and Finn in home conditions it could prove tough for us to consistently score the 350 we need to keep the pressure on.

regards,

REB

Faulkner gets it done in ODI's.
Think his shield form is very ordinary. Need to stop picking blokes based on the mickey mouse forms[/quote]

Yeah like Warner....
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

2015 Ashes

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Warner made his test debut 2 years after his ODI debut. Got in on the back of a bucket load of runs at Shield level
Jim05
Coach

Postby robranisgod » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:01 am

This infatuation with the Marsh brothers has got me puzzled. Mitch Marsh averages 29 with both the bat and ball at first class level. Faulkner averages 32 with the bat and 24 with the ball. Surely Faulkner's credentials are better than Marsh. I have said it before but whilst everyone blasts about New South Wales players having a dream run into test cricket, WA players seem to get into test cricket easier than players from other states. Sure they have provided some champs but I could also name at least a side of duds from the West who have been gifted a test spot.
Last edited by robranisgod on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 230 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:11 am

robranisgod wrote:This infatuation with the Marsh brothers has got me puzzled. Shaun Marsh averages 29 with both the bat and ball at first class level. Faulkner averages 32 with the bat and 24 with the ball. Surely Faulkner's credentials are better than Marsh. I have said it before but whilst everyone blasts about New South Wales players having a dream run into test cricket, WA players seem to get into test cricket easier than players from other states. Sure they have provided some champs but I could also name at least a side of duds from the West who have been gifted a test spot.

Erm I think you mean Mitch :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:26 am

Jim05 wrote:Warner made his test debut 2 years after his ODI debut. Got in on the back of a bucket load of runs at Shield level

He was also playing ODI cricket for his country yet couldn't get into NSW Shield side. He went away worked on his game
In the end he made his First Class Debut batting at 6??
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:39 am

heater31 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Warner made his test debut 2 years after his ODI debut. Got in on the back of a bucket load of runs at Shield level

He was also playing ODI cricket for his country yet couldn't get into NSW Shield side. He went away worked on his game

Correct but my argument was that he wasnt selected for tests on the back of ODI or T20 form like guys are now.
Took a mountain of runs in the Shield to get a test cap.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:41 am

Jim05 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Correct but my argument was that he wasnt selected for tests on the back of ODI or T20 form like guys are now.

Besides Maxwell, who are you referring to?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:59 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Besides Maxwell, who are you referring to?

More for the people who over the last few weeks are calling for Faulkner, Behrendorf etc to get a gig
Jim05
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:12 am

Jim05 wrote:More for the people who over the last few weeks are calling for Faulkner, Behrendorf etc to get a gig

Fair enough, Behrendorf will have a chance to prove himself over the longer game but Faulkner wont.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:44 am

Everyone has a right to an opinion on here as it is a forum where you can express your opinion on any matter. I believe that Faulkner deserves a crack and he looks like he can play cricket. He's better than some blokes we've given a shot to or are still hoping they find some form (Watson).
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:45 am

daysofourlives wrote:Better yet Jim some people that comment on here need to get a clue and stop talking about Test squads based on what they have seen for the last month domestically. This should be in the gives me the shits thread

Then how about you start up a thread with the topic, "What gives daysofourlives the shits??" :D ;)
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:11 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Everyone has a right to an opinion on here as it is a forum where you can express your opinion on any matter. I believe that Faulkner deserves a crack and he looks like he can play cricket. He's better than some blokes we've given a shot to or are still hoping they find some form (Watson).

Boasts a 32 average with the stick & 24 with the pill at first class level.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:53 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Everyone has a right to an opinion on here as it is a forum where you can express your opinion on any matter. I believe that Faulkner deserves a crack and he looks like he can play cricket. He's better than some blokes we've given a shot to or are still hoping they find some form (Watson).

I don't think you can play Faulkner or Marsh ahead of Watson, at least away. Try that selection on home decks first.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:09 pm

I say in order to find talent or see who our next line of bowlers/batsman are. Give them a crack. Faulker isn't a dud and he's a proven cricketer in all forms. We can't keep picking blokes based on stats and their past results. And also hope that they will bat/bowl themselves back into form. That's when young talent gets lost. Time for the old timers to know when to stop and lets start giving blokes a crack. No matter what type of deck we are playing on. Stop with the excuses.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:29 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:I say in order to find talent or see who our next line of bowlers/batsman are. Give them a crack. Faulker isn't a dud and he's a proven cricketer in all forms. We can't keep picking blokes based on stats and their past results. And also hope that they will bat/bowl themselves back into form. That's when young talent gets lost. Time for the old timers to know when to stop and lets start giving blokes a crack. No matter what type of deck we are playing on. Stop with the excuses.

What criteria do we use then?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:38 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:I say in order to find talent or see who our next line of bowlers/batsman are. Give them a crack. Faulker isn't a dud and he's a proven cricketer in all forms. We can't keep picking blokes based on stats and their past results. And also hope that they will bat/bowl themselves back into form. That's when young talent gets lost. Time for the old timers to know when to stop and lets start giving blokes a crack. No matter what type of deck we are playing on. Stop with the excuses.

What criteria do we use then?

I say let's pick straws!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket