Australian tour of Bangladesh

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian tour of Bangladesh

Postby RustyCage » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:09 am

bennymacca wrote:give head a few seasons to pile on the runs in shield cricket. We all reckon he has the talent to make it at the top level but sadly hasnt made the most of it yet. Still young obviously so plenty of time ahead of him.

Head needs to step it up this year. Another 100-less year and questions will have to be asked about him
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby whufc » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:17 pm

RustyCage wrote:
bennymacca wrote:give head a few seasons to pile on the runs in shield cricket. We all reckon he has the talent to make it at the top level but sadly hasnt made the most of it yet. Still young obviously so plenty of time ahead of him.

Head needs to step it up this year. Another 100-less year and questions will have to be asked about him

Its an interesting one isnt it.

What happens if he averages say 55 for the year but once again doesnt hit a 100, is he worthy of a spot, i tend to think he still is then.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mal » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:59 pm

bennymacca wrote:No real surprises in the squad besides fekete

http://cricketa.us/1LsjIcp

Good to see Bancroft named.

Voges maybe surprising to hold his spot but they need experience.

I also like the selection of maxwell. Even though he hasn't quite adapted to test cricket he is clearly in the top 11 most talented blokes going around. It's now on him to show it.

Steve Smith (c), Adam Voges (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Joe Burns, Patrick Cummins, Andrew Fekete, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Peter Nevill, Stephen O’Keefe, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc

This would have to be close to or the worst Australian squad Ive ever seen , even worse than the teams scrubbed up during the Packer days
There are 3 cricketers in that line up that are automatic selections
Smith
Starc
Lyon

Might be 2-3 others that might become established test cricketers
I will not be surprised if the Bangers win the series
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1154 times
Been liked: 908 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:09 am

mal wrote:
bennymacca wrote:No real surprises in the squad besides fekete

http://cricketa.us/1LsjIcp

Good to see Bancroft named.

Voges maybe surprising to hold his spot but they need experience.

I also like the selection of maxwell. Even though he hasn't quite adapted to test cricket he is clearly in the top 11 most talented blokes going around. It's now on him to show it.

Steve Smith (c), Adam Voges (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Joe Burns, Patrick Cummins, Andrew Fekete, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Peter Nevill, Stephen O’Keefe, Peter Siddle, Mitchell Starc

This would have to be close to or the worst Australian squad Ive ever seen , even worse than the teams scrubbed up during the Packer days
There are 3 cricketers in that line up that are automatic selections
Smith
Starc
Lyon

Might be 2-3 others that might become established test cricketers
I will not be surprised if the Bangers win the series

I think you're right there mate, Being a 2 test series might save them from losing, I don't get the reasoning behind having a two test series, one or three makes more sense.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:07 am

Will be interesting viewing with the new blood. I imagine the Bangas will be playing 2-3 spinners which could and clearly has previously bothered us. It's no certainty which makes this like all test cricket, must see TV.

I like the timing of the series filling the October void and balancing out the pathetic scheduling of the one day domestic format. I guess blokes in North Sydney might disagree :roll:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:47 am

wristwatcher wrote:Will be interesting viewing with the new blood. I imagine the Bangas will be playing 2-3 spinners which could and clearly has previously bothered us. It's no certainty which makes this like all test cricket, must see TV.

I like the timing of the series filling the October void and balancing out the pathetic scheduling of the one day domestic format. I guess blokes in North Sydney might disagree :roll:

I actually like the ODD's, it was a great atmosphere at the Adelaide Oval in the evening for these fixtures, It's a load of frog shit now.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:29 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Will be interesting viewing with the new blood. I imagine the Bangas will be playing 2-3 spinners which could and clearly has previously bothered us. It's no certainty which makes this like all test cricket, must see TV.

I actually like the ODD's, it was a great atmosphere at the Adelaide Oval in the evening for these fixtures, It's a load of frog shit now.

Yep that's what I am saying. I always enjoyed Redback one dayers at AO. I didn't mind when they spread the season across the shield season. I simply can't fathom the new format. I reckon I went to my first one in maybe 1980 and i was hooked. My Grandparents loved Cricket and would take me to any form of the game it was great. My Mum, Dad and two sisters who were 7&8 years older where not cricket fans but would happily take me to one day games. It was always a great day for a cricket mad kid.

Now it's cram in with 30,000 in an evening at top dollar and no other choice. I feel like the 20/20 which I do like is shoved down our throat...a lot. Again Mrs Wristy loves it but she has been well trained to understand its about 3 levels higher than my indoor cricket comeback and 700 levels below test cricket.

Last year I think from memory it was explained that it was due to scheduling but can someone please explain why ODD no longer gets a home and away gig like it has for 35 plus years :(
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:29 am

Don't get me started on this issue. I would get to several games (usually the 2nd innings of a D/N) of the Redbacks per year. Clearly remember Mitch Johnson dropping an absolute sitter for Qld at fine leg off a Greg Blewett hook shot 1st ball.

Also Mark Cosgrove striding to the wicket 1st game back from suspension for his perceived 'fitness' issues wearing number 99 on his back and crafting a ton.

The competition is nothing more than English League cricket this year with the inclusion of a development side of a mainly Australian u/21 side playing against their home states. The ICC should revoke the List A status!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:59 pm

heater31 wrote:The competition is nothing more than English League cricket this year with the inclusion of a development side of a mainly Australian u/21 side playing against their home states. The ICC should revoke the List A status!

wait, what? really?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:14 pm

bennymacca wrote:
heater31 wrote:The competition is nothing more than English League cricket this year with the inclusion of a development side of a mainly Australian u/21 side playing against their home states. The ICC should revoke the List A status!

wait, what? really?

Um where were you for this.....

http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1982721#p1982721
heater31

Postby bennymacca » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:27 pm

heater31 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

wait, what? really?

Um where were you for this.....

http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1982721#p1982721

cheers, missed that topic the first time.

I dunno what I think about it, it doesnt seem like a terrible idea to me, as long as they are competitive, which remains to be seen i guess
bennymacca
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:28 pm

What do people think about Voges being vice captain, considering IMO he should be on the fringe of the team? Do you think Lyon would be up to it?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:30 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:What do people think about Voges being vice captain, considering IMO he should be on the fringe of the team? Do you think Lyon would be up to it?

fair call imo. Wonder why Lyon was overlooked.

My guess is he would be pretty quiet in the rooms though, doesnt really have leader stamped all over him - not intended as a knock on him
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Does Lyon have any captaincy experience? It's only for a 2 Test series.
heater31

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:33 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yep that's what I am saying. I always enjoyed Redback one dayers at AO. I didn't mind when they spread the season across the shield season. I simply can't fathom the new format. I reckon I went to my first one in maybe 1980 and i was hooked. My Grandparents loved Cricket and would take me to any form of the game it was great. My Mum, Dad and two sisters who were 7&8 years older where not cricket fans but would happily take me to one day games. It was always a great day for a cricket mad kid.

Now it's cram in with 30,000 in an evening at top dollar and no other choice. I feel like the 20/20 which I do like is shoved down our throat...a lot. Again Mrs Wristy loves it but she has been well trained to understand its about 3 levels higher than my indoor cricket comeback and 700 levels below test cricket.

Last year I think from memory it was explained that it was due to scheduling but can someone please explain why ODD no longer gets a home and away gig like it has for 35 plus years :(

Unfortunately it's where one-dayers are perceived to sit in the scheme of things these days. I don't mind the format provided they swapped states each year, but ideally you'd have a H&A comp and promote the sh!t out of a game if it was an important one. Surely you could get 8-10000 on a Friday night at AO if done properly? Maybe some free tickets to school groups or junior clubs too?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:36 pm

bennymacca wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:What do people think about Voges being vice captain, considering IMO he should be on the fringe of the team? Do you think Lyon would be up to it?

fair call imo. Wonder why Lyon was overlooked.

My guess is he would be pretty quiet in the rooms though, doesnt really have leader stamped all over him - not intended as a knock on him

I always find it hard to get a bit of a read on him. Sometimes seems like he is a Dougie Walters type, not overly-thinking, but great for team spirit, other times he seems to put a lot of thought and intelligence into what he does.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby RB » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:31 pm

heater31 wrote:Does Lyon have any captaincy experience? It's only for a 2 Test series.

Captained the SA Shield team at the Gabba for the first match of the season a year or two ago when Botha was absent.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 766 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Cummins out of the tour.... injured again!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Corona Man wrote:Cummins out of the tour.... injured again!

I was waiting for this to happen!!!

http://www.cricket.com.au/news/pat-cumm ... 2015-09-24

Bad luck for Cummins but Faulkner will replace him, I'm very happy this :)
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10340 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:58 pm

another back injury too :(

too many more of them and it could be career over, which would be a shame
bennymacca
Coach