Australia v Windies - Test series

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australia v Windies - Test series

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 pm

RB wrote:Shane Warne talking shit.

I thought his made pretty good sense today
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:25 pm

whufc wrote:

I thought his made pretty good sense today

Brayshaw as always claims Gold medal status in that area but Tubby Taylor making a late play talking about Australia will need 108 to avoid the follow on. FFS don't insult the viewers intelligence.

It's amazing that when Kerry O Keefe laughed at his own jokes or statements it was brilliant. Warne and Brayshaw make it sounds like old people f@cking. Just brutal.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:41 pm

If the Windies are just **** arsing us around here I'd get Nevill in at 3, Marsh at 4 and give them a hit. Nevill hasn't batted this series and Marsh has hardly been needed, let them face some centre wicket stuff I reakon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:28 pm

Booney wrote:If the Windies are just **** arsing us around here I'd get Nevill in at 3, Marsh at 4 and give them a hit. Nevill hasn't batted this series and Marsh has hardly been needed, let them face some centre wicket stuff I reakon.

I'd send Marsh in next to play at 20/20 innings. Let's get to 350 ASAP and set these muppets 20
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:33 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote:If the Windies are just **** arsing us around here I'd get Nevill in at 3, Marsh at 4 and give them a hit. Nevill hasn't batted this series and Marsh has hardly been needed, let them face some centre wicket stuff I reakon.

I'd send Marsh in next to play at 20/20 innings. Let's get to 350 ASAP and set these muppets 20

Well Marsh went in and the heavens opened
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Gozu » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:48 pm

Warner brings up his ton
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:54 pm

As they have in the past in London.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:07 pm

How quickly those who seem to deride the short forms of the game want to change the long form too. Setting the game up under any circumstances, trying to slog the game away, these are not test ideals. All that was ever going to happen has happened.

Marsh in at 3 was a good plan. Goes in with 100 on the board, no pressure on runs or a result. Just bat. Once again puts up the effort of a number 8, not a number 6. He just simply cannot hold that spot for much longer. In fact, I think this is it. NZ will demand a batsman at 6, not a tail starting there. Perhaps if Nevill was batting well enough to hold that spot Marsh could bat 7, but there's no keeper in the country good enough to allow that luxury. For me, Marsh is competing with the bowlers for a spot.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby mal » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Wrongggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
Marsh batted 3
Nevill batted 4
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:40 pm

I know Mitch Marsh was the replacement for Watson but FFS it's not illegal to score runs champ.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby mal » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:56 pm

WI 330
AU 2/176
David Warner 122 not out off only 103 balls
Game called off with an hour to go
If no more delays, or bad light
One hour = maybe about 15-18 overs [depending if spin was used]
Thats maybe about 90-108 balls
Warner to face maybe 50 balls

QUESTIONS
Could he have made 200 if they played the extra time ?
If Warner was about 90 not out with an hour to go , would Australia have played on ?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:00 pm

mal wrote:WI 330
AU 2/176
David Warner 122 not out off only 103 balls
Game called off with an hour to go
If no more delays, or bad light
One hour = maybe about 15-18 overs [depending if spin was used]
Thats maybe about 90-108 balls
Warner to face maybe 50 balls

QUESTIONS
Could he have made 200 if they played the extra time ?
If Warner was about 90 not out with an hour to go , would Australia have played on ?

Probably the most frustrating test match in years to cap off the most anti-climactic series in decades. Time to move on Mal.

The series across the ditch Should be a belter.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:11 pm

Having "a net" would be more beneficial than some of that centre wicket stuff I saw this afternoon. Absolute tripe.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:32 am

Grahaml wrote:How quickly those who seem to deride the short forms of the game want to change the long form too. Setting the game up under any circumstances, trying to slog the game away, these are not test ideals. All that was ever going to happen has happened.

Well put sir.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:32 pm

Grahaml wrote:How quickly those who seem to deride the short forms of the game want to change the long form too. Setting the game up under any circumstances, trying to slog the game away, these are not test ideals. All that was ever going to happen has happened.

Marsh in at 3 was a good plan. Goes in with 100 on the board, no pressure on runs or a result. Just bat. Once again puts up the effort of a number 8, not a number 6. He just simply cannot hold that spot for much longer. In fact, I think this is it. NZ will demand a batsman at 6, not a tail starting there. Perhaps if Nevill was batting well enough to hold that spot Marsh could bat 7, but there's no keeper in the country good enough to allow that luxury. For me, Marsh is competing with the bowlers for a spot.

Interesting point Graham. On the way the game finished I thought that the West Indies' development as a side would be further enhanced trying to win the game than just bowling at nothing as it turned out in the end. I don't think that should have thrown the game away but the captain should have shown some belief and tried to go for the unlikely result.

I'm not sure that the immediate double declaration was the key though. Australia have been racking up 400 a day against the West Indies this summer so I would have maybe had a hit and added another 50-60 to chase before declaring. An immediate double declaration would have been far too generous considering the lack of effectiveness of the West indian bowling. Declarations work best when the target appears to be just out of reach, that way you maximise your chances of taking wickets.

If things went a bit pear shaped you could still employ more defensive tactics that would be foreign to limited over cricket so I don't believe that setting the game up and slogging away are not necessary test ideals. There are different game conditions which means a shorter innings doesn't necessarily equate to one day cricket or teeball.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:44 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

Interesting point Graham. On the way the game finished I thought that the West Indies' development as a side would be further enhanced trying to win the game than just bowling at nothing as it turned out in the end. I don't think that should have thrown the game away but the captain should have shown some belief and tried to go for the unlikely result.

I'm not sure that the immediate double declaration was the key though. Australia have been racking up 400 a day against the West Indies this summer so I would have maybe had a hit and added another 50-60 to chase before declaring. An immediate double declaration would have been far too generous considering the lack of effectiveness of the West indian bowling. Declarations work best when the target appears to be just out of reach, that way you maximise your chances of taking wickets.

If things went a bit pear shaped you could still employ more defensive tactics that would be foreign to limited over cricket so I don't believe that setting the game up and slogging away are not necessary test ideals. There are different game conditions which means a shorter innings doesn't necessarily equate to one day cricket or teeball.

regards,

REB

Not sure what my opinion is on whether it is the right thing or wrong thing to do by setting up a result.

One thing is certain though, the windies don't get many chance to win test matches these days never mind in Oz, as you said there development as a side and as individual players who have been advanced a million times over by setting that game up and playing some pressure, result on the line test cricket.
whufc
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Captains getting together to both declare at 0/0 or bugger all for effectively a one-innings test is contriving a result, as compared to sporting declarations, such as if the WIndies declared at 6/290 on the fourth morning if two days play were possible, which then puts it back in the oppositions court of how they approach the rest of the game.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby carey » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:17 pm

What's new??
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:20 pm

carey wrote:

What's new??

I thought he made sense, he was saying the windies development would have been better off buy trying to force a result and the other one was saying how they should have not had lunch after an 1hour 40min session after have 3 days off.
whufc
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:08 am

Just looking at the big bash and the west indies players that could possibly make an impact for there test side. And really Im more convinced that the majority of there test side is there best 11.

Gayle I think is shot at the moment. Although looks good for a short period of time just looks un fit with back issues. Was starting to look a bit stiff last night.

Dwayne Bravo can still bat but his bowling looked a bit pedestrian at times.

The ok one who may have made an impact is Russell. Now I know hes a slogger as such but can hold a bat for sure but there is a bit about his bowling. I must admit I haven't seen enough of him but seems like a type that could bowl some fiery spells.

Just a thought I guess.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket