Warne banging on

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Warne banging on

Postby Yangebup » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Talking about spinners for the upcoming India tour, Warne is going on & on about picking this leg spinner Sweppson. Come on Warne obviously you have some clout but just tone it down to a dull roar & give others like Zampa & Agar etc an opportunity to at least be looked at please.
Yangebup
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 18 times

Re: Warne banging on

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:19 pm

Yangebup wrote:Talking about spinners for the upcoming India tour, Warne is going on & on about picking this leg spinner Sweppson. Come on Warne obviously you have some clout but just tone it down to a dull roar & give others like Zampa & Agar etc an opportunity to at least be looked at please.

He is correct in a way.
Should be taking 3 spinners over there. Lyon a left arm offie and a leggie.
So it comes down to:
Lyon
SOK/Agar
Zampa/Swepson/Ahmed?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Micheal Clarke also said he would like to see someone like Adam Zampa or Swepson in the squad for India.

On top of that in an interview on Wednesday Steve Waugh said briefly that he would like to see someone like Fawad Ahmed in the picture for India. He did concede Ahmed is a long shot and that he doesn't watch alot of domestic cricket.

We all on here agree that Zampa isn't ready for test cricket and Swepson probably hasn't had enough first class cricket, although he impressed for Australia A in the winter series. Ahmed is past it and has recently lost his spot to Jon Holland as Victoria's number one spinner.

Taking a legspinner that isn't ready for test cricket is too big of a gamble and wouldn't be a good move IMO, the Indian batsman would feast on them.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10325 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Grahaml » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Lyon and O'Keefe are definites. I like the idea of taking a leggie. Would've thought Zampa was ahead at this stage, but his first class record isn't compelling.

I am getting pretty sick of Warne talking about spin constantly. That ridiculous whinge about Waugh and Ponting being all about fast bowlers. Doesn't seem to matter the situation, how well the batsmen are playing or any bowlers are bowling, Warney just wants spinners on. Then as soon as he gets one spinner on he wants another. The more he goes on the more I get the feeling he just doesn't rate (or understand) fast bowling. Starting to seem like perhaps he isn't the greatest captain we never had.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:50 pm

Take both swepson and zampa. They both won't play unless we have injuries, so give them some tour games and get them ready for the next tour
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby RB » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:33 am

bennymacca wrote:Take both swepson and zampa. They both won't play unless we have injuries, so give them some tour games

Would that we were playing tour games...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:19 am

Grahaml wrote:I am getting pretty sick of Warne talking about spin constantly. That ridiculous whinge about Waugh and Ponting being all about fast bowlers.

That sounded like a pure sour grapes moment from Warne, having a dig at his former captains on national TV, all while Mark Taylor was right next to him. WADH.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10325 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby RB » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:33 am

The one thing I'll say in defence of Warnie is that Lyon tends to bowl better and more aggressively when he's used better, and when he's brought on earlier and not treated as an afterthought. He's looked more confident in Melbourne and Sydney and has taken more wickets that he would otherwise have, IMO, because Smith has thrown him on earlier and more often, something that we haven't seen much since the days when Michael Clarke was captain.
RB
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:30 am

RB wrote:The one thing I'll say in defence of Warnie is that Lyon tends to bowl better and more aggressively when he's used better, and when he's brought on earlier and not treated as an afterthought. He's looked more confident in Melbourne and Sydney and has taken more wickets that he would otherwise have, IMO, because Smith has thrown him on earlier and more often, something that we haven't seen much since the days when Michael Clarke was captain.

I think that's more Nathan Lyon's fault than Steve Smith's. And being thrown the ball is so rarely an "afterthought". If you have 3 seamers all bowling well it's not unreasonable to use them for the bulk of the first 40 or so overs in an innings. From there you might even start to think about reverse swing. If the captain doesn't think you're the right type of bowler for that moment, then it doesn't mean he doesn't rate you. Saw a scorecard the other day when Ian Chappell was captain and Ashley Mallett was his spinner. First innings, 102 overs and Mallett didn't bowl at all. Other times Chappell would rely on his spinners. You use the best bowler at the time and all the bowlers need to be ready and able to do the best they can when that call comes.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:45 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Micheal Clarke also said he would like to see someone like Adam Zampa or Swepson in the squad for India.

On top of that in an interview on Wednesday Steve Waugh said briefly that he would like to see someone like Fawad Ahmed in the picture for India. He did concede Ahmed is a long shot and that he doesn't watch alot of domestic cricket.

We all on here agree that Zampa isn't ready for test cricket and Swepson probably hasn't had enough first class cricket, although he impressed for Australia A in the winter series. Ahmed is past it and has recently lost his spot to Jon Holland as Victoria's number one spinner.

Taking a legspinner that isn't ready for test cricket is too big of a gamble and wouldn't be a good move IMO, the Indian batsman would feast on them.

Warnie went to India and he wasn't ready which he readily admits
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:49 am

I thought this heading was just a general comment, didn't realise it had an actual point. :lol:

Warnie is always banging on. "The Package".....please, WAFW.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:52 am

You thought it was another one of Warnie bedroom romp sessions....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby Purple Warrior » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:22 am

Wont matter, we'll play 2nd rate spinners against the best players of spin. Be lucky to get 20 wickets for the series let alone in a match.
Purple Warrior

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 14 times

Postby stan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:05 pm

Play whoever we like in those conditions, how are we going tk get guys like Kolhi, Pujara, Rahul and Vijay out?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:23 pm

stan wrote:Play whoever we like in those conditions, how are we going tk get guys like Kolhi, Pujara, Rahul and Vijay out?

Got to back in Starc and Hazlewood. Both are good enough to get something out of any pitch IMHO. I think we also tend to get carried away thinking the Indians are flawless against spin. Just got to be smart with our selections. I think Lyon is a bowler who needs the ball to bounce to be effective. If he can't get that then perhaps he isn't the man. O'Keefe doesn't need a lot of movement on the ball to be effective so he might in fact be the best option over there. The extra spin he'll get should make him more effective.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Grahaml wrote:
stan wrote:Play whoever we like in those conditions, how are we going tk get guys like Kolhi, Pujara, Rahul and Vijay out?

Got to back in Starc and Hazlewood. Both are good enough to get something out of any pitch IMHO. I think we also tend to get carried away thinking the Indians are flawless against spin. Just got to be smart with our selections. I think Lyon is a bowler who needs the ball to bounce to be effective. If he can't get that then perhaps he isn't the man. O'Keefe doesn't need a lot of movement on the ball to be effective so he might in fact be the best option over there. The extra spin he'll get should make him more effective.

No all rounders please and no Wade. Can't keep.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1817 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Grahaml wrote:

O'Keefe? When did the selectors think left arm pies were the answer?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Booney wrote:
Grahaml wrote:

O'Keefe? When did the selectors think left arm pies were the answer?

He will get chewed up and spat out in India.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:02 pm

Easy. Send them over some really "Spicey" Beef Vindaloo (shit load of laxatives). Ha ha ha ha.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby RB » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:27 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Micheal Clarke also said he would like to see someone like Adam Zampa or Swepson in the squad for India.

Warnie went to India and he wasn't ready which he readily admits

Which series do you mean? He didn't play well in India but I think it was due to an inability to adapt to the conditions and his recovering from injuries, rather than lack of experience (we didn't play tests in India till a fair way into Warnie's career).
RB
Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket