Warne banging on

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Warne banging on

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:28 pm

Booney wrote:
Grahaml wrote:
stan wrote:Play whoever we like in those conditions, how are we going tk get guys like Kolhi, Pujara, Rahul and Vijay out?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Got to back in Starc and Hazlewood. Both are good enough to get something out of any pitch IMHO. I think we also tend to get carried away thinking the Indians are flawless against spin. Just got to be smart with our selections. I think Lyon is a bowler who needs the ball to bounce to be effective. If he can't get that then perhaps he isn't the man. O'Keefe doesn't need a lot of movement on the ball to be effective so he might in fact be the best option over there. The extra spin he'll get should make him more effective.

O'Keefe? When did the selectors think left arm pies were the answer?

Who would you take instead of O'Keefe?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby locky801 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:37 pm

O'Keeffe readily admits he is not a big turner of the ball but relies on his change of pace and flight (well thats what Kerry said anyway) Not a big fan of his but there isnt too many other options on the dance floor right now
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:13 pm

locky801 wrote:O'Keeffe readily admits he is not a big turner of the ball but relies on his change of pace and flight (well thats what Kerry said anyway) Not a big fan of his but there isnt too many other options on the dance floor right now

As shown in the Sydney test match O'Keefe changes his pace really well (doesn't have many weapons so he needs to do it well) and didn't bowl above 90km/h often, if at all. Completely opposite to Nathan Lyon who this summer has been constantly around 90km/h, often above that and was criticized this summer for bowling too fast, and too straight aswell.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:27 pm

O'Keefe and Lyon is the best two options imho

No surprise traditionally offies have done better in India than leggies.

You need accurate spinners over big turners, small boundaries and quick outfields means in a lot of cases the leggies who are generally less accurate cant build enough pressure without bowling that one bad ball which always gets punished and offies become big turners on their wickets anyway

For me I would start with

Renshaw (sweep like buggery big man)
Warner
Khawaja (one test to prove he can play spin or goodbye)
Smith
Handscomb
S.Marsh (his sub continent record is to good to ignore)
Wade (supposedly is by far the best bat against spin of all keepers, I don't know enough about it)
Starc
O'Keefe
Hazelwood
Lyon

Obviously Lyon and O'Keefe bowl the majority of overs, Smith and Warner are arguably just as handy as any leg spinner we can take over so they will offer a change up.

TBH even if the selectors get it 100% right and our guys play to the best of our ability I'm not sure we are good enough to beat them over there
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:50 pm

whufc wrote:O'Keefe and Lyon is the best two options imho

You need accurate spinners over big turners, small boundaries and quick outfields means in a lot of cases the leggies who are generally less accurate cant build enough pressure without bowling that one bad ball which always gets punished and offies become big turners on their wickets anyway

Wade (supposedly is by far the best bat against spin of all keepers, I don't know enough about it)

TBH even if the selectors get it 100% right and our guys play to the best of our ability I'm not sure we are good enough to beat them over there

Good point about the spinners whufc.

As he's shown in ODI cricket Matthew Wade is the best exponent of the sweep shot out of all the current Australian players. He's just about the only one that does it well on a consistent basis.

It'll be an intriguing series and will be a huge test. I can't see us beating them, it'll be an absolute miracle if we do. IF we're able to draw the series we've done extremely well.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:07 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:O'Keefe and Lyon is the best two options imho

Good point about the spinners whufc.

As he's shown in ODI cricket Matthew Wade is the best exponent of the sweep shot out of all the current Australian players. He's just about the only one that does it well on a consistent basis.

It'll be an intriguing series and will be a huge test. I can't see us beating them, it'll be an absolute miracle if we do. IF we're able to draw the series we've done extremely well.

Wade will need to make a shit load of runs to make up for the dozen dropped catches or missed stumpings he has over there. Would be close to the worst keeper of spin in Australia
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:37 pm

The question is though will any other keeper do much better considering it will most likely be their first sub continent tour
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:51 pm

whufc wrote:The question is though will any other keeper do much better considering it will most likely be their first sub continent tour

A blind dog could do better than Wade with the gloves
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:25 pm

whufc wrote:The question is though will any other keeper do much better considering it will most likely be their first sub continent tour

Nevill play tests in SL and UAE?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:29 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Nevill play tests in SL and UAE?

Actually he may have, I was on holidays then so saw nothing of those tests lol, we lost them all hey (not that meant it was Neville fault)
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 pm

14-15 vs Pakistan in UAE was Haddin

In 16 vs Sri Lanka was Neville we lost the series 3-0 he score:

1st test:
2 of 11 balls
9 off 115 balls

2nd test:
0 of 1 ball
24 of 38 balls

3rd test:
14 of 34 balls
2 of 10 balls

Wade played in India in 2013 he scored for the 3 tests he played in the series

12, 8, 62, 10, 19

Strangely enough (and admittedly it doesn't tell the full picture because of drops missed stumpings etc) but Wade averaged 9 byes an innings while Neville averaged 13 byes an innings including 23 in one innings (Wades highest was 13 in an innings)

TBH neither seem like they have a clue to batting on those wickets
whufc
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:46 am

Anyone writing off O'Keefe based on the fact he doesn't turn it much is an idiot and just doesn't understand bowling in general, let alone spin bowling. Batsmen at test level hit the spot they aim for with incredible accuracy. Watch those tracking replays and the number of times the ball without movement would have hit the middle of the bat is pretty darn impressive. They even manage to adjust to deviation a lot. The trick is to make the ball move more than they expect, later than they can adjust to or too little for them to notice. For a spinner, it's definitely possible to turn it too much. When it turns square the batsman will never underestimate the turn. But if the ball's movement varies between an inch and an couple of inches, that can be huge. An inch and a half away from the middle is an edge. An inch is a mishit. You'd bowl 20 balls just trying to get either one.

Reckon in Indian conditions that his subtle variety will work more. The best over there have tended to be guys who turned it less. The big turners just got predictable.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:19 am

Grahaml wrote:Anyone writing off O'Keefe based on the fact he doesn't turn it much is an idiot and just doesn't understand bowling in general, let alone spin bowling. Batsmen at test level hit the spot they aim for with incredible accuracy. Watch those tracking replays and the number of times the ball without movement would have hit the middle of the bat is pretty darn impressive. They even manage to adjust to deviation a lot. The trick is to make the ball move more than they expect, later than they can adjust to or too little for them to notice. For a spinner, it's definitely possible to turn it too much. When it turns square the batsman will never underestimate the turn. But if the ball's movement varies between an inch and an couple of inches, that can be huge. An inch and a half away from the middle is an edge. An inch is a mishit. You'd bowl 20 balls just trying to get either one.

Reckon in Indian conditions that his subtle variety will work more. The best over there have tended to be guys who turned it less. The big turners just got predictable.

Defeated your own argument here, O'Keefe doesn't turn them an inch. ;)

I think his biggest weapon is his drift which isn't going to worry the likes of Kohli and co. He'll be a lamb to the slaughter.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:36 am

O'Keefe is a good spinner to bowl in tandem with a wrist spinner or big turner of the ball. You know SOK is going to be consistent in his areas and not give many loose balls, can get through his overs quickly to build pressure and force bats to go at the other end.

Under rated IMO.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:04 am

Booney wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Anyone writing off O'Keefe based on the fact he doesn't turn it much is an idiot and just doesn't understand bowling in general, let alone spin bowling. Batsmen at test level hit the spot they aim for with incredible accuracy. Watch those tracking replays and the number of times the ball without movement would have hit the middle of the bat is pretty darn impressive. They even manage to adjust to deviation a lot. The trick is to make the ball move more than they expect, later than they can adjust to or too little for them to notice. For a spinner, it's definitely possible to turn it too much. When it turns square the batsman will never underestimate the turn. But if the ball's movement varies between an inch and an couple of inches, that can be huge. An inch and a half away from the middle is an edge. An inch is a mishit. You'd bowl 20 balls just trying to get either one.

I think his biggest weapon is his drift which isn't going to worry the likes of Kohli and co. He'll be a lamb to the slaughter.

Any other spinner in Australia would be an even bigger lamb to the slaughter. If you don't rate O'Keefe as our second best spin option who would you take to India instead?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:05 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Booney wrote:

Any other spinner in Australia would be an even bigger lamb to the slaughter. If you don't rate O'Keefe as our second best spin option who would you take to India instead?

Ben Dunk ;-)
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:07 am

BoundaryRider84 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Booney wrote:

Ben Dunk ;-)

The ultimate allrounder.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:31 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Any other spinner in Australia would be an even bigger lamb to the slaughter. If you don't rate O'Keefe as our second best spin option who would you take to India instead?

If the selectors are going to remain consistent with their "youth" selection policy then 24 year old Zampa goes ahead of 32 year old O'Keefe, but, Zampa averages closer to 50 then O'Keefe's 32 at 1st class level.

If I was to be selecting the side I'd be telling Smith that he needs to bowl more and use Maxwell and Smith to share the load as the second spinner. Smith made his Test debut in India as a leggie, batting at 8. He must do more bowling as I think there's little doubt we'll be chasing some big numbers so must play 6 batsman in this series, that gets Maxwell in and Nevill in his rightful spot of 8.

I'd play :

Renshaw
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Tall, dark and
S.Marsh
Maxwell
Nevill
Starc
Hazlewood
Lyon

As for "bigger lamb to the slaughter", not sure there's degrees of slaughter.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:44 am

Booney wrote:If I was to be selecting the side I'd be telling Smith that he needs to bowl more.

I thought i heard Smith reported that he's got back issues ala Clarke, that's why he doesn't bowl as much?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:47 am

Zartan wrote:
Booney wrote:If I was to be selecting the side I'd be telling Smith that he needs to bowl more.

I thought i heard Smith reported that he's got back issues ala Clarke, that's why he doesn't bowl as much?

I'd not heard this, probably from carrying the middle order for the last 18 months.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket