Is Cricket losing its appeal to the general public.

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Is Cricket losing its appeal to the general public.

Postby Dog_ger2 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Apart from ashes tours, are you interested?
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Re: Is Cricket losing its appeal to the general public.

Postby Magellan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Howzat? Cricket losing its appeal? You're out!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:38 pm

I think cricket has been as good as it ever has been in terms of interest. The crowds are still very good, and the big bash is bringing new fans to the game.

The ODIs are one area where interest is waning imo
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Tony Clifton » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Not having all Australian international matches on free to air is a blow, as it was when the Big Bash was only on Foxtel.

If it's all pay tv then there is a danger that you 'middle class' the game. Needs to be accessible to the masses to broaden the appeal and keep it as part of the Australian consciousness.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:28 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Not having all Australian international matches on free to air is a blow, as it was when the Big Bash was only on Foxtel.

If it's all pay tv then there is a danger that you 'middle class' the game. Needs to be accessible to the masses to broaden the appeal and keep it as part of the Australian consciousness.

When was the last time a non ashes overseas test was in FTA tv? Not in my memory.

All local international games and the ashes are still FTA
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:02 am

bennymacca wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Not having all Australian international matches on free to air is a blow, as it was when the Big Bash was only on Foxtel.

When was the last time a non ashes overseas test was in FTA tv? Not in my memory.

I recall watching Australia play the Windies over there on FTA when Steve Waugh made a double ton and fat cat Greg Ritchie (who was in the crowd) jumped the fence ran out on the ground and shook his hand. Reckon it was channel 10. Late 90's?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby MW » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:36 am

I personally have lost nearly all interest in Cricket.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:46 am

I haven't lost interest in the game but I have lost interest in many of the meaningless tours our national side goes on.

I'm interested in the test series against England, South Africa, India and New Zealand and not much else. ODI's are mildly entertaining on a hot day in summer when it's on the box, but I wouldn't bother watching one from O/S. T20 means nothing to me.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Corona Man wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I recall watching Australia play the Windies over there on FTA when Steve Waugh made a double ton and fat cat Greg Ritchie (who was in the crowd) jumped the fence ran out on the ground and shook his hand. Reckon it was channel 10. Late 90's?

95?

That's 22 years ago. Bloody hell that makes me feel old.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:24 pm

Booney wrote:I haven't lost interest in the game but I have lost interest in many of the meaningless tours our national side goes on.

I'm interested in the test series against England, South Africa, India and New Zealand and not much else. ODI's are mildly entertaining on a hot day in summer when it's on the box, but I wouldn't bother watching one from O/S. T20 means nothing to me.

A test championship is desperately needed to provide context to these tours imo.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:30 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:I haven't lost interest in the game but I have lost interest in many of the meaningless tours our national side goes on.

A test championship is desperately needed to provide context to these tours imo.

Like wishing for an AFL reserves comp, it will never happen ( the AFL reserves comp is far more likely! ) as there are too many parties with a vested interest of looking after themselves.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Dog_ger2 wrote:Apart from ashes tours, are you interested?

I miss Drebin/BPBRB/Nordberg to put this post in context
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Pretty much my scenario.
I'll watch any Aussie Test matches, if time/time zones work for me.
I have little interest in ODI's and none in T20.
If it's on tv and there's no footy/soccer that I'm interested in, I'll watch women's matches.

I have a reasonably large cricket book collection and I'm starting to consider what to do with it.

However, I love being involved at club level and will continue to be well into the future.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby gossipgirl » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:39 pm

need more streakers
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Corona Man » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

95?

That's 22 years ago. Bloody hell that makes me feel old.

Nearly as long since the last crows flag!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:23 pm

am Bays wrote:
Dog_ger2 wrote:Apart from ashes tours, are you interested?

I miss Drebin/BPBRB/Nordberg to put this post in context

His horse has had a couple of good wins this prep.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Like wishing for an AFL reserves comp, it will never happen ( the AFL reserves comp is far more likely! ) as there are too many parties with a vested interest of looking after themselves.

I think it's closer than that. (I hope)

And Ireland and Afghanistan have been awarded test status too, so it seems the wheels are in motion

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... ampionship
bennymacca
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:12 pm

Yes.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Alaska » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:01 am

I concur with Dogwatcher and Booney, they are diluting a product and alienating some of the public.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:49 am

Think that sounds about right. From perhaps late 90's onwards the Australian tours stopped being televised on FTA, no domestic one dayers on FTA. Became more and more that you needed Foxtel to follow the sport properly which only some people can afford. BBL only really exploded after Channel 10 got the rights.

The big area that cricket suffers is the spike in interest is December/January, however club season starts in October. No clubs are taking new players or registering teams when the season is halfway done. Whereas football has the NAB Cup and early rounds in February/March which drives interest, then most club or school football seasons start in April.

Apparently in years there is an Ashes tour to England during winter there is a large spike in junior cricket participation. Cricket is on tv in July/August during prime time and that flows through into club/school registrations in September/October. This 'perfect storm' only occurs once every four years. Usually cricket has to start 'cold' without any promotional lead in.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket