Australian Tour of South Africa

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

Postby tigerpie » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:43 am

Q. wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
Q. wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Although I feel for Smith, all three of them dragged all us cricket fans into the gutter.
We are now branded as cheats... a tag that doesn't fit 400 odd other blokes who played within the spirit of the game.
They have brought the Australian game into disrepute. I couldn't care less about other countries and the penalties they've dished out.
This is Australian cricket culture, not Pakistan or England or anybody else.
Precedents start somewhere and 12 months is about right but I would restrict their playing to be only club cricket.

A nice piece of melodrama you write. Their actions literally have no bearing on the reputation of any Australian cricketer to have played before them.

My point is/was 400 odd other blokes didn't resort to blatant dumbass cheating!
Must be convenient to forget Warne was a drug cheat

Always do what mum tells you to do. ;)
Not the same.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:17 am

amber_fluid wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Khawaja and Marsh are done and dusted.
Despite losing 3 players long term they should never play again for their country.

Easy to say that and while I tend to agree we simply do not have the batting depth to just give them the flick forever.

My question to everyone (not just you AF) that says certain blokes have to go is who do you replace them with? Khawaja and Marsh and head and shoulders above the next tier of Sheffield Shield batsman. Please do your research on who's next in the cue and come up with logical replacements before saying certain blokes shouldn't be selected to play for our country again.

Mate the Australian cricket team is going to be in a world of pain over the next 12 months so they might as well clear out anyone not up to it currently.
Bring in youth and just give them a go.
Let’s see if Head is any good.
Weatherald, Patterson, Hughes likewise.

Maxwell for mine comes back in as well.
Renshaw stays up the top of the order but not sure Burns opens with him.

Take a chance on Darcy Short like they did with Warner.
If he fails so be it.

The Australian team needs to go backwards before going forwards unfortunately

I understand that but they still have to try and pick the best team possible and not just give up on certain players. People love saying how teams should get rid of payers but have no idea about suitable replacements. If their form warrants it the names you have mentioned deserve an opportunity.

As mentioned above, Labuschagne is a guy coming along well in shield cricket.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby robranisgod » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:01 pm

Labuschagne is averaging less than 35 at first class level. This is a similar figure to what Maddinson was averaging before he was chosen. I want blokes to be averaging above 40 before they are selected to play test cricket. Pattison certainly is. The rest of the contenders or now incumbents are around that mark other than Mitch Marsh who only averages 30 at first class level and 27 at test level. Once again not nearly good enough for a test number six.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 224 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby northerner » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:21 pm

I think something we are neglecting when throwing these names up for selection is the CALIBRE of these gents and what they can contribute to the culture of the side moving forward. We are not as privy to the traits of these lads as much as those closer to the scene, but I have NO DOUBT that character and attitude will be much higher in the list of criteria when future selections are made.

I would be very interested to see how Darcy Short progresses. What he produced in the Mickey Mouse format was outstanding. Clearly he possesses a decent eye.
I would also seriously be looking at Travis Head. Something we have continued to do is select a team and then put the best player the leader. Steve Smith has shown the folly of that; he is not a natural leader. We need to look at teams like NZ and England who would select a captain (ie Stephen Fleming) and then select a team around him. Travis fits that bill....
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:29 pm

robranisgod wrote:Labuschagne is averaging less than 35 at first class level. This is a similar figure to what Maddinson was averaging before he was chosen. I want blokes to be averaging above 40 before they are selected to play test cricket. Pattison certainly is. The rest of the contenders or now incumbents are around that mark other than Mitch Marsh who only averages 30 at first class level and 27 at test level. Once again not nearly good enough for a test number six.

Agree that we should be looking for more than these sort of averages before we think of them as Test prospects, but Labuschagne is in the same bracket as those mentioned, including Patterson
Scored around as many runs as everyone else (Shield final didn't really affect this), and last two years has averaged just under 37 and 40, whilst Patterson has averaged 44.5 and 37. Labuschagne scored 2 100's and 4 50's this season, Patterson 5 50's.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:08 pm

robranisgod wrote:Labuschagne is averaging less than 35 at first class level. This is a similar figure to what Maddinson was averaging before he was chosen. I want blokes to be averaging above 40 before they are selected to play test cricket. Pattison certainly is. The rest of the contenders or now incumbents are around that mark other than Mitch Marsh who only averages 30 at first class level and 27 at test level. Once again not nearly good enough for a test number six.
Labuschagne with 795 runs at 39.75 in 17/18 shows he's improving, what I ment by coming along nicely.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Half Back Flanker » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:17 pm

Ponting or Dizzy to be our next coach. Warne made a comment that he'd be happy to help out somewhere also. CA needs the broom put through it starting with Sutherland. Time to pick the kids and look forward to the next 10 years.
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:24 pm

CA doesn’t have the money required to get Ponting on Board.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:29 pm

Half Back Flanker wrote:Ponting or Dizzy to be our next coach. Warne made a comment that he'd be happy to help out somewhere also. CA needs the broom put through it starting with Sutherland. Time to pick the kids and look forward to the next 10 years.

If Warnie got on board in any capacity I'm on the sheep shagger train
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:32 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Half Back Flanker wrote:Ponting or Dizzy to be our next coach. Warne made a comment that he'd be happy to help out somewhere also. CA needs the broom put through it starting with Sutherland. Time to pick the kids and look forward to the next 10 years.

Warnie wouldn’t even get out of bed for what they were reportedly paying Lehman.
Likewise with Ponting.

That’s why I think it will be a lesser known coach unless they can come up with better coin for the new coach.

That or have 3 different coaches across the 3 formats so it doesn’t take up as much of their time.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Langer.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Corona Man » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:43 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah, but what about the cricket?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:21 pm

Steve Smith not challenging his 12 month ban

Leaving to Warner to challenge by himself it would seem.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:58 pm

Bancroft is taking his medicine with no challenge either
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Grenville » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:47 pm

ACA president Greg Dyer, that's like employing John Dillinger as a bank manager.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:53 pm

Grenville wrote:ACA president Greg Dyer, that's like employing John Dillinger as a bank manager.

^ But I thought the Tampering Trio were the first Australian cricketers to cheat...
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby whufc » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:25 pm

Would love to think Smith and Bancroft aren't appealing due to the realisation of what they've done.

Gut tells me it because they know if they appeal the 'full' story will be released.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:28 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Grenville wrote:ACA president Greg Dyer, that's like employing John Dillinger as a bank manager.

^ But I thought the Tampering Trio were the first Australian cricketers to cheat...
Good call, if you ask Viv Richards we've been cheating since 1975 ;)
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:55 pm

Q. wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Never a gentleman's game.
Accusations of sharp practice have been ongoing since the start of Test cricket and we are not immune.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:00 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Q. wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Never a gentleman's game.
Accusations of sharp practice have been ongoing since the start of Test cricket and we are not immune.
Which makes the sanctimonious commentary from former players particularly unpalatable.

Couldn't believe Healy had the nerve to chime in, was our biggest cheat in three decades!
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket