2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:00 pm

stan wrote:My team and what I think is the mostly likely 1st Ashes test line up:

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Smith (Assuming he can find some 4 day runs)
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Richardson - 12th.

I reckon that's what we will go with. The next few shield matches will be very important when using the dukes. For mine Patterson should play as he has the first class runs up, Labuschagne is the one for mine that would miss out for Smith. We really need Smith back but he needs to get some longer form runs soon.

Unfortunately I think Burns will get exposed in England. From a cricket point of view, I think Harris would bat better if he was with Warner. In the first couple tests he was patient but towards the end of the summer he was playing shots that weren't there.

Number three would also be an issue if Khawaja didn't make runs yesterday. Smith is a number 4, not 3 IMO, and whilst I'm a fan of Labuschagne, he's not ready for number three, and the 6 you listed are ahead of him with him being the next cab off the rank.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Armchair expert » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:06 pm

Players with a county contract Renshaw Bancroft and maybe others will have to come into consideration if they are making runs, also the Aus v AusA game over there will carry more weight than shield cricket scores imo.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby locky801 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:08 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
stan wrote:My team and what I think is the mostly likely 1st Ashes test line up:

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Richardson - 12th.

I reckon that's what we will go with. The next few shield matches will be very important when using the dukes. For mine Patterson should play as he has the first class runs up, Labuschagne is the one for mine that would miss out for Smith. We really need Smith back but he needs to get some longer form runs soon.

From a cricket point of view, I think Harris would bat better if he was with Warner.

Yeah as long as he didn't think that he had to do something to fit in ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:09 pm

locky801 wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Richardson - 12th.

From a cricket point of view, I think Harris would bat better if he was with Warner.

:D :D
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Players with a county contract Renshaw Bancroft and maybe others will have to come into consideration if they are making runs, also the Aus v AusA game over there will carry more weight than shield cricket scores imo.

Yeah, think Renshaw's stocks have fallen a bit, but agree think they'll be keen to get Bancroft back in if they can.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby mal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:18 pm

TRAVIS HEAD

These are the scores when Travis Head came to the crease to bat v Sri Lanka, and what he made
1ST TEST....... AU 4/84.. HEAD .84
2ND TEST..... AU 3/28...HEAD 161
2ND TEST ....AU 3/37....HEAD 59 NOT OUT

For most of the summer against IN and SL our top order really struggled
Travis Head did to SL what Pujara mostly did to AU this summer
Travis Head saved Australia each time he batted against SL

Maybe Travis Head should have been Man of the series
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby stan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:48 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:

Harris
Burns
Khawaja
Head
Patterson
Paine
Cummins
Starc
Lyon
Hazelwood

Richardson - 12th.

Unfortunately I think Burns will get exposed in England. From a cricket point of view, I think Harris would bat better if he was with Warner. In the first couple tests he was patient but towards the end of the summer he was playing shots that weren't there.

Number three would also be an issue if Khawaja didn't make runs yesterday. Smith is a number 4, not 3 IMO, and whilst I'm a fan of Labuschagne, he's not ready for number three, and the 6 you listed are ahead of him with him being the next cab off the rank.
I agree with you about Burns but I still think he'll get the gig.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:51 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Players with a county contract Renshaw Bancroft and maybe others will have to come into consideration if they are making runs, also the Aus v AusA game over there will carry more weight than shield cricket scores imo.

Yeah, think Renshaw's stocks have fallen a bit, but agree think they'll be keen to get Bancroft back in if they can.
If Renshaw has a good second half of the shield season then I think they'll take hi. To England.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby tigerpie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:28 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:

Bancroft in england is an lbw waiting to happen.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:17 am

locky801 wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

I'd prefer a left/right combo but given the Hayden/Langer experience it is definitely not a pre-requisite.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:18 am

mal wrote:TRAVIS HEAD

These are the scores when Travis Head came to the crease to bat v Sri Lanka, and what he made
1ST TEST....... AU 4/84.. HEAD .84
2ND TEST..... AU 3/28...HEAD 161
2ND TEST ....AU 3/37....HEAD 59 NOT OUT

For most of the summer against IN and SL our top order really struggled
Travis Head did to SL what Pujara mostly did to AU this summer
Travis Head saved Australia each time he batted against SL

Maybe Travis Head should have been Man of the series

Without a doubt in my eyes, contributed strongly in EVERY innings, he would've polled 4 votes if it was Brownlow style, Starc and Cummins 3 apiece.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:19 am

tigerpie wrote:Bancroft in england is an lbw waiting to happen.

Personally I don't think we'll ever see Bancroft in a baggy green again, he'd get sledged to buggery and wouldn't handle it, he reminds me of the young dude from the Shawshank Redemption.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:52 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Personally I don't think we'll ever see Bancroft in a baggy green again, he'd get sledged to buggery and wouldn't handle it, he reminds me of the young dude from the Shawshank Redemption.

He obviously likes to sledge himself still. When Maxwell got out in BBL the other night, he said in interview it was Bancroft carrying on out there. You would think he would bite his tongue for a year at least before being a mouth out there!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:54 am

tigerpie wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

Bancroft in england is an lbw waiting to happen.

That didn't seem to stop Shane Watson carving out a 10 year career in international cricket.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 am

In hindsight, how silly were CA making it a 12 month ban, they're going to put egg on their face by picking Warner and Smith without any form to go by, 9 or 10 months would've seen them back for the arse end of the shield season, the are eligible for day two of the shield final.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:36 am

Corona Man wrote:That didn't seem to stop Shane Watson carving out a 10 year career in international cricket.

He had the review system to help him though, just incase he had any doubt.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby locky801 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:In hindsight, how silly were CA making it a 12 month ban, they're going to put egg on their face by picking Warner and Smith without any form to go by, 9 or 10 months would've seen them back for the arse end of the shield season, the are eligible for day two of the shield final.

thats if they select them ;)
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:47 am

locky801 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:In hindsight, how silly were CA making it a 12 month ban, they're going to put egg on their face by picking Warner and Smith without any form to go by, 9 or 10 months would've seen them back for the arse end of the shield season, the are eligible for day two of the shield final.

thats if they select them ;)

Judging by Paine's presser they are in, why do you think they had young Will and Stoinis in the squad? They are an easy two outs.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby batmanbegins » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

He obviously likes to sledge himself still. When Maxwell got out in BBL the other night, he said in interview it was Bancroft carrying on out there. You would think he would bite his tongue for a year at least before being a mouth out there!

Im fascinated to see how warner copes in england. Hes going to cop an unbelievable amount of stick and he doesnt cope well with that at the best of times. Smith will cop plenty but warner will get an absolute barrage from the english fans.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:07 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Grenville wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Grenville wrote:Chandimal is a decent bat, captaincy does not agree with him. He was awful when we were batting and I reckon it's affecting his batting.
Still averages 42.2 as captain and 42.3 as non captain so no difference there. Averaged 35.23 in 2016 which was before he became captain, 45.59 in 2017 and 40.72 in 2018 and has now made 20 runs in 3 innings.

My inebriated musings are no match for your facts TDK.
After seeing what he made yesterday I was going to look up his numbers the past 2/3 years since he's been captain and reading your post last night reminded me to go on cricinfo and have a look.
Chandimal has now been dropped from the Sri Lankan test squad set to play South Africa.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket