2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

Postby The Bedge » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:02 pm

I get the feeling Head will be dumped before Marsh.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:15 pm

The Bedge wrote:I get the feeling Head will be dumped before Marsh.

Unfortunately i reckon youre right.
When do the selectors say youre too fn old Shaun and dump him, there has been many better players than him with far better records tapped on the shoulder at the same age
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Spargo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:

When do the selectors say youre too fn old Shaun and dump him, there has been many better players than him with far better records tapped on the shoulder at the same age

The Langer influence.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:34 pm

Spargo wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

The Langer influence.

Yep time for him to go too, get Dizzy in there
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:30 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Spargo wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:

The Langer influence.

Yep time for him to go too, get Dizzy in there

Langer ain’t going nowhere. He is a CA yes man and puppet
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby northerner » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:44 am

Q. wrote:
northerner wrote:A couple of anecdotal...? Ok. Name me ANY young cricketer we have who has the patience persistence and concentration AS WELL AS THE MOTIVATION to be a Test cricketer. Because I cannot think of ONE... thats a fact. Out of a very large sample size.

Another example... anecodotal if you wish but it shows why our latest generation do not have what it takes to be Test cricketers ... Jake Weatharld. Made it publicly known he much prefers BBL to red ball cricket. Because its done and dusted and then you can start again. And he also said he found it very hard to concentrate over the length of time needed in longer forms of the game.

I might suggest a solid statistical base is found in our batting averages across the first class level.

Let me know if you can think of ONE young Aussie who shows the mental skills AND has the aspiration to be a Test cricketer. Cos I cannot. Meanwhile India have them left right and centre. Now clearly they have a far larger population to select from but thats always been the case. I maintain that guys like Pujara and Bumrah and harbajhan Singh have so much more to gain for themselves and their families by working their way out of the castes that their families are consigned to than we have in our society. We have it good whatever... For Indians its a lifeline. And so it matters so much more.

You're attributing declining first class batting averages to an unsubstantiated myth that an entire Millennial generation has lost the ability to concentrate, or another unsubstantiated myth that the same generation don't work as hard as the last generation. That's pure codswallop.

I'd be more inclined to attributed declining domestic standard to the structure of the domestic comp.

Your opinion is just that, and is also unsubstantiated by any block of statistical analysis. Yes the structures in place are a factor to our decline, but I would suggest these things (such as the placement of the BBL season) are a reflection of that culture I refer to. Appealing to an impatient, quick fix, time poor society who needs to be entertained right here right now.

It's admirable to see you so defensive about the culture of our society, and in particular our emerging youngsters. So I will change tack to demonstrate my point: Indian culture is more conducive to creating passionate cricketers. And through their fervour they develop the motivation and desire to succeed and have a single minded focus that our youngsters do not. As another poster suggested, read the Bios of some of the Indian players. They had to go through so many more hoops to get where they are than our players.

I spent a month in northern India and whenever school was out the kids were playing cricket. Some in lush greens of schools and fields but more often on dug out dirt pitches using balls made from rubber bands rolled around themselves. The lucky owners of a bat would be automatically captain and could select his team. Those who didnt make a team would watch or score and hope a lad got called away. The passion and excitement and competitive spirit was palpable.

When was the last time you saw an impromptu cricket match in our streets and fields? See whilst our lads are moving on from Minecraft and Lego to Fort Nite, Dates and Parties (only occasionally spending time practising their ramp shots and reverse sweeps) the Indians are eating playing and talking cricket. By the age of 18 Privthi Shaw would have been shite navigating a tablet, has doubtfully ever had a girlfriend and definitely did not know about drugs or alcohol, but he has had a bat in hand for far longer than any Aussie lad of the same age. And thats why Indias youngsters are scoring Test centuries at 18 whilst our idea of youngsters are aged 25 and still they are not able to replicate his effort.
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:52 am

Little form column A and a little from column B I think.

Yes, Indians are passionate cricketers - everyone knows that, and yes the recent generation of Australians are less "sporty", but the lack of concentration and application is absolutely evident in the Aussie set up - and they've been setup this way through the time poor society and T20 cricket has fast tracked this.

Everyone wants everything here and now, no waiting, want quick results - all crash and bash.. Part of the reason T20 was so appealing, 3hrs was all over, come out play some shots, score a quick 30 and go home.

Same thing is happening with the test side. Guys want to play shots, be flashy, score quickly.. after an hour at the crease they grow weary, they cant concentrate, they lack patience - they want to hit the ball.. and they get themselves out.. hence why 30's are becoming increasingly (and wrongly) acceptable.

Issue is, this test side and all first class cricketers are professional athletes, and concentration can be trained, ability to stay patient and bat long periods can e be trained.. so why isn't it?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:08 am

It is a myth that current generation is 'time-poor' - it's the opposite, with annual work hours in decline over the last few decades. And there's no evidence to suggest we are any less patient than previous generations.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re:

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:13 am

Q. wrote:It is a myth that current generation is 'time-poor' - it's the opposite, with annual work hours in decline over the last few decades. And there's no evidence to suggest we are any less patient than previous generations.

vibe.JPG
vibe.JPG (15.6 KiB) Viewed 1066 times
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:23 am

Watch Travis Head play a cut shot, watch Pujara play a cut shot, it will tell you plenty about our system.

Head doesn't get over the ball with a straight back leg hitting it down into the ground through point. He hits it with a bent back leg collapsing in the shot and you get what he did in Perth, two skied catches to 3rd man. When was the last time one of our test batsman got caught twice in a match at 3rd man? Perth, 2018, that's when.

What that shows is our coaching from the ground up no longer looks to the tried and tested "text book" batting methods, instead it looks to how runs can be scored the fastest > T20.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re:

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 am

Q. wrote:It is a myth that current generation is 'time-poor' - it's the opposite, with annual work hours in decline over the last few decades. And there's no evidence to suggest we are any less patient than previous generations.

What has increased, immensely, are entertainment options. Let's face it, cricket in summer was it during the 70's, then in the 80's we could play an Atari instead of fielding in 38° and now there's an endless list of things to do in your spare time that previously weren't there, but, to dismiss the notion that the modern generation isn't as willing to submit themselves to 6 hours of Test cricket, or anything for that matter, is foolish, IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:32 am

[quote="Booney"]When was the last time one of our test batsman got caught twice in a match at 3rd man? Perth, 2018, that's when.

Aww well I could've answered that - it was only a couple weeks ago :lol:

Question is, when was the last time BEFORE that :P
The Bedge
Coach

Re: Re:

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:34 am

Booney wrote:

What has increased, immensely, are entertainment options. Let's face it, cricket in summer was it during the 70's, then in the 80's we could play an Atari instead of fielding in 38° and now there's an endless list of things to do in your spare time that previously weren't there, but, to dismiss the notion that the modern generation isn't as willing to submit themselves to 6 hours of Test cricket, or anything for that matter, is foolish, IMO.

I'm not arguing against your last point - I'm arguing against the idea that a generation of human beings is suddenly deficient in concentration/patience etc
Q.
Coach

Re: Re:

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:44 am

Q. wrote:
Booney wrote:

I'm not arguing against your last point - I'm arguing against the idea that a generation of human beings is suddenly deficient in concentration/patience etc

Time will tell. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:52 am

northerner wrote:
Q. wrote:
northerner wrote:A couple of anecdotal...? Ok. Name me ANY young cricketer we have who has the patience persistence and concentration AS WELL AS THE MOTIVATION to be a Test cricketer. Because I cannot think of ONE... thats a fact. Out of a very large sample size.

Another example... anecodotal if you wish but it shows why our latest generation do not have what it takes to be Test cricketers ... Jake Weatharld. Made it publicly known he much prefers BBL to red ball cricket. Because its done and dusted and then you can start again. And he also said he found it very hard to concentrate over the length of time needed in longer forms of the game.

I might suggest a solid statistical base is found in our batting averages across the first class level.

Let me know if you can think of ONE young Aussie who shows the mental skills AND has the aspiration to be a Test cricketer. Cos I cannot. Meanwhile India have them left right and centre. Now clearly they have a far larger population to select from but thats always been the case. I maintain that guys like Pujara and Bumrah and harbajhan Singh have so much more to gain for themselves and their families by working their way out of the castes that their families are consigned to than we have in our society. We have it good whatever... For Indians its a lifeline. And so it matters so much more.

You're attributing declining first class batting averages to an unsubstantiated myth that an entire Millennial generation has lost the ability to concentrate, or another unsubstantiated myth that the same generation don't work as hard as the last generation. That's pure codswallop.

I'd be more inclined to attributed declining domestic standard to the structure of the domestic comp.

Your opinion is just that, and is also unsubstantiated by any block of statistical analysis. Yes the structures in place are a factor to our decline, but I would suggest these things (such as the placement of the BBL season) are a reflection of that culture I refer to. Appealing to an impatient, quick fix, time poor society who needs to be entertained right here right now.

It's admirable to see you so defensive about the culture of our society, and in particular our emerging youngsters. So I will change tack to demonstrate my point: Indian culture is more conducive to creating passionate cricketers. And through their fervour they develop the motivation and desire to succeed and have a single minded focus that our youngsters do not. As another poster suggested, read the Bios of some of the Indian players. They had to go through so many more hoops to get where they are than our players.

I spent a month in northern India and whenever school was out the kids were playing cricket. Some in lush greens of schools and fields but more often on dug out dirt pitches using balls made from rubber bands rolled around themselves. The lucky owners of a bat would be automatically captain and could select his team. Those who didnt make a team would watch or score and hope a lad got called away. The passion and excitement and competitive spirit was palpable.

When was the last time you saw an impromptu cricket match in our streets and fields? See whilst our lads are moving on from Minecraft and Lego to Fort Nite, Dates and Parties (only occasionally spending time practising their ramp shots and reverse sweeps) the Indians are eating playing and talking cricket. By the age of 18 Privthi Shaw would have been shite navigating a tablet, has doubtfully ever had a girlfriend and definitely did not know about drugs or alcohol, but he has had a bat in hand for far longer than any Aussie lad of the same age. And thats why Indias youngsters are scoring Test centuries at 18 whilst our idea of youngsters are aged 25 and still they are not able to replicate his effort.

Wow, fair points on both sides of the fence.

A couple of interesting things that I've found out recently, India have 37 teams classified as "first class", I wonder how long their games go for? They seem to bat with more patience than we do and they seem to score more double and triple hundreds.

I think we're dazzled by the T20, yes, our programming is poop, the BBL goes for far too long and it's costing CA rankings, they are placing the coin ahead of the standard of cricket we produce, I read the other day that something like 15 baggy greens had been given out between 2001 & 2007 yet there has been over 50 since then, we accept mediocrity at the top, it started when they started piss-farting around with playing virtual unknowns in our national T20 and ODI sides on the back of one or two good performances in the BBL.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 am

The Ranji Trophy is a 4 day competition.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:56 am

I read an article about a year ago about changes in society and how it's impacted sport. I didn't agree with all of it, but I found the following paragraph to be at least an interesting thought provoker.

Over the next 35 years, a lot of things change. Baby Boomers pop out kids of their own, raising the most entitled generation to ever walk the planet. Kids are taught to reach for the stars and demand what they want because after all, they're worth it. Seagull parents change the way schools operate and “The PC brigade” redefine what is and isn’t appropriate. Schools introduce harassment policies so fat kids don’t get teased, childhood obesity skyrockets. Universities introduce “safe zones” where lefties can congregate away from those intolerant fools who don’t share their same opinion. The internet takes off, followed by Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat. A three-hour Sunday movie is replaced by the 8 second vine. Society’s attention span evaporates and the ADHD generation is born. TV, Movies, Music and Sport all adapt, as the power of the advertising dollar changes how society operates.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:03 am

Booney wrote:Watch Travis Head play a cut shot, watch Pujara play a cut shot, it will tell you plenty about our system.

Head doesn't get over the ball with a straight back leg hitting it down into the ground through point. He hits it with a bent back leg collapsing in the shot and you get what he did in Perth, two skied catches to 3rd man. When was the last time one of our test batsman got caught twice in a match at 3rd man? Perth, 2018, that's when.

What that shows is our coaching from the ground up no longer looks to the tried and tested "text book" batting methods, instead it looks to how runs can be scored the fastest > T20.

Example Handscomb ! who taught him to bat?Harris has he never seen short pitched bowling? could you imagine him in the windies era B-(
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Q. » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 am

Trader wrote:I read an article about a year ago about changes in society and how it's impacted sport. I didn't agree with all of it, but I found the following paragraph to be at least an interesting thought provoker.

Over the next 35 years, a lot of things change. Baby Boomers pop out kids of their own, raising the most entitled generation to ever walk the planet. Kids are taught to reach for the stars and demand what they want because after all, they're worth it. Seagull parents change the way schools operate and “The PC brigade” redefine what is and isn’t appropriate. Schools introduce harassment policies so fat kids don’t get teased, childhood obesity skyrockets. Universities introduce “safe zones” where lefties can congregate away from those intolerant fools who don’t share their same opinion. The internet takes off, followed by Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat. A three-hour Sunday movie is replaced by the 8 second vine. Society’s attention span evaporates and the ADHD generation is born. TV, Movies, Music and Sport all adapt, as the power of the advertising dollar changes how society operates.
Yes, we should start teasing fat kids again so they lose weight. WTF pile of horseshit did I just read.
Q.
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:07 am

Q. wrote:Yes, we should start teasing fat kids again so they lose weight. WTF pile of horseshit did I just read.

Nobody stopped teasing me for being fat in the first instance.. :(
The Bedge
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket