Australia ODI/T20 tour of England and Zimbabwe

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australia ODI/T20 tour of England and Zimbabwe

Postby am Bays » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:28 am

robranisgod wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Are we really getting upset/disappointed about an ODI game?
It's barely relevant.
I'm just amazed England made 481! I literally thought it was a mistake when I first read it.

I'm happy we scored 481 against the aussies :D

In all seriousness the game is irrelevant though as the aussies have there second string bowling line up. The only thing it does show is bowling depth is not quite yet there. I'm amazed Nathan Lyon can't get a gig, he's by far your best spinner. Also why is Khawaja not in this one day side? He's been very good at state level for years in one dayers, yet Short has one good T20 tournament and is in.

I know that I harp on about it but all Khawaka has to do is move to WA. The bias to their players has been bad for years with Langer an unofficial selector.
Now that he is officially in charge the bias will get worse.

I'm sure the proponents of the NSW bias will be pleased to hear that.

FWIW knowing Lang (not well) and seeing how he operates on a values and performance development level I'll take his opinion on selections over anyone on here.

Mind you Khawaja for Head has merit, IMO ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:06 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Stickers, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? :lol:

Just LOL'ing, irrelevant because the shoe's on the other foot?

I think we treat our ODI's & T20's as a raffle as far as getting a guernsey, I like seeing us get pantsed from time time for being so arrogant, it would never of happened in our day, there were very few players that didn't play both formats, we'd tour with a group of 16 and they'd be there for the tests and ODI's, you'd just have to adapt.

Now look, we got players we barely even know representing our country and with very little achievements next to their name at domestic level.

We take the piss in the shorter versions and it makes us look stupid at times.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Stickers, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing? :lol:

Just LOL'ing, irrelevant because the shoe's on the other foot?

I think we treat our ODI's & T20's as a raffle as far as getting a guernsey, I like seeing us get pantsed from time time for being so arrogant, it would never of happened in our day, there were very few players that didn't play both formats, we'd tour with a group of 16 and they'd be there for the tests and ODI's, you'd just have to adapt.

Now look, we got players we barely even know representing our country and with very little achievements next to their name at domestic level.

We take the piss in the shorter versions and it makes us look stupid at times.

We win WC’s and that’s all that matters. Couldn’t care less if we don’t win a game in the 4 years between WC’s
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:31 am

Jim05 wrote:We win WC’s and that’s all that matters. Couldn’t care less if we don’t win a game in the 4 years between WC’s

I just got owned!!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:44 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Jim05 wrote:We win WC’s and that’s all that matters. Couldn’t care less if we don’t win a game in the 4 years between WC’s

I just got owned!!

That's about where I am with ODIs now.

I used to love ODI's, but in the past eight years I'm less and less interested.
I enjoy the colour of the World Cup, but have no real interest in the stuff in between - I struggle to see the relevance of the format now, given the rise of T20 and its influence on the game. And I get the feeling that's how much of the cricket world feels, including the ICC and CA. It's just a cash cow for broadcast opportunities. It's cricket's version of the shopping channel - it keeps the product in the public eye and is an easy way to fill bountiful Like the shopping channel, I only stumble across it, I don't actively turn on to watch it.

To be fair, I recently enjoyed the result of the Scotland v England game, but that was not because of any sort of dislike of England, but because it's great to see a battler win. I do see some value in ODIs as an avenue for growth nations to develop and move towards Tests, but that doesn't make me want to sit down and watch them any more.

I still really enjoy Test cricket, but my interest is even waning on that. Maybe I'm just old and jaded.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:49 am

It's barely relevant.

Saying it's barely relevant is over playing it's importance IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:50 am

Was just announced that all ODI series will be 3 game series now but the interesting thing is they will now be played for points and count towards WC qualification so we might have to win a few :)
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I just got owned!!

I enjoy the colour of the World Cup, but have no real interest in the stuff in between - I struggle to see the relevance of the format now, given the rise of T20 and its influence on the game. And I get the feeling that's how much of the cricket world feels, including the ICC and CA. It's just a cash cow for broadcast opportunities. It's cricket's version of the shopping channel - it keeps the product in the public eye and is an easy way to fill bountiful Like the shopping channel, I only stumble across it, I don't actively turn on to watch it.

To be fair, I recently enjoyed the result of the Scotland v England game, but that was not because of any sort of dislike of England, but because it's great to see a battler win. I do see some value in ODIs as an avenue for growth nations to develop and move towards Tests, but that doesn't make me want to sit down and watch them any more.

I still really enjoy Test cricket, but my interest is even waning on that. Maybe I'm just old and jaded.

I actually enjoy the ODI's, I find them a good mixture of smart play/ power hitting and very strategical, I like how the game can swing several times during the course whether it's a fall of a wicket tor a couple of big overs.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I just got owned!!

I actually enjoy the ODI's, I find them a good mixture of smart play/ power hitting and very strategical, I like how the game can swing several times during the course whether it's a fall of a wicket tor a couple of big overs.

That's fair. I definitely understand that.
But what are they playing for? I why are they playing sooo many games, for what point?
I like the idea behind Jim's comment - that may give it some relevance for me.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Armchair expert » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:34 pm

Alex Carey finally getting a game :)
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby The Dark Knight » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:49 pm

Armchair expert wrote:Alex Carey finally getting a game :)
Thankfully Finch goes back to the top of the order, common sense prevails there.

It's too late now but good to see Lyon selected. He last played an ODI against Sri Lanka in August 2016.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby locky801 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:13 am

100 to Finch and Marsh yet we still get thumped :roll: :roll: :oops:
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:Alex Carey finally getting a game :)
Thankfully Finch goes back to the top of the order, common sense prevails there.

It's too late now but good to see Lyon selected. He last played an ODI against Sri Lanka in August 2016.

Exactly, why be in the team if he's not opening?

As for Lyon, his record in shorter version games is as good as any Australian bowler, it baffles me that he doesn't play more.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:57 am

Kinda hard* to take their bowling list serious, Willey, Wood, Root. No wonder we're f******.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 am

locky801 wrote:100 to Finch and Marsh yet we still get thumped :roll: :roll: :oops:
FFS
Bowling figures look pretty ordinary again.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby RB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:13 pm

When I look at our bowlers, with the exception of Lyon, I don't see them as belonging at international level. I think this series just emphasizes the jump in class from state level to international level.

Interesting to see that some of the WA players Langer is always spruiking are having a hard time out there.

Still, as other posters have said, the only important thing is the World Cup.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:08 pm

RB wrote:When I look at our bowlers, with the exception of Lyon, I don't see them as belonging at international level. I think this series just emphasizes the jump in class from state level to international level.

Interesting to see that some of the WA players Langer is always spruiking are having a hard time out there.

Still, as other posters have said, the only important thing is the World Cup.

There wouldnt be a poster on here that Neser would get out, worst Australian player ever, not even joking
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Trader » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:15 pm

While I agree he is rubbish, and don't really like him getting picked for the strikers, let alone Australia, I'm still fairly confident he could get me to chop one on.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby mal » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:14 pm

robranisgod wrote:
batmanbegins wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
It's barely relevant.
I'm just amazed England made 481! I literally thought it was a mistake when I first read it.

I'm happy we scored 481 against the aussies :D

In all seriousness the game is irrelevant though as the aussies have there second string bowling line up. The only thing it does show is bowling depth is not quite yet there. I'm amazed Nathan Lyon can't get a gig, he's by far your best spinner. Also why is Khawaja not in this one day side? He's been very good at state level for years in one dayers, yet Short has one good T20 tournament and is in.

I know that I harp on about it but all Khawaka has to do is move to WA. The bias to their players has been bad for years with Langer an unofficial selector.
Now that he is officially in charge the bias will get worse.

For many years people have complained that its easier for NSW players to play for Australia, than the other states
I reckon It was the 4th ODI before a NSW player, Nathan Lyon was selected , in this series
EG 4
AU 0
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Yep whether people like to admit it or not modern history tends to say a strong NSW equals a strong Aussie side.

Fair play to the selectors over the years they have tended to get more hits with NSW guys than misses.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket