Warner article

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Warner article

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:39 pm

The sun is shining on the picturesque North Sydney Oval and the mighty North Sydney Bears are set to face off against Randwick-Petersham in Sydney Grade Cricket, boasting none other than exiled test batsman David Warner.

For this Fox Sports employee it’s a big moment. For Warner, it could be so much more.

Striding out to inspect the wicket, (flat), Warner is already on the field, visualising what’s sure to be an impressive performance. His pipes are bigger in real life and it’s already got me on the back foot.

“G’day mate,” I quip with a confidence that betrays my inner-dialogue.

No reply.

1-0 Warner.

The lads hit the dressing sheds and are back soon enough to begin the warm-up. But my mind is elsewhere.

All 170cm of David Warner strides from the spit-hole that leads to the dressing rooms, his strut is compelling, he’s sweating confidence and his stick is the size of a baobab tree. Some people say he looks like he doesn’t care, I say he looks like he doesn’t know how to care. Cool, calm, composed; the Warner we’ve come to know.

The toss goes up; we’re batting lads.

Beautiful.

Time to relax and assess what I’ll do if, and when, I bowl to one of the best batsman in the world.

Unfortunately, we begin to lose wickets at a rapid rate, and it quickly comes to the fore that this number 11 is going to have to wield the willow. 9-140. I walk to the crease.

Voices from the field echo around me.

‘Here he is lads, here he is.’ My first thought; oh god. My second; wow – these blokes know who I am. I take guard – ‘centre please’ – tried and tested, reliable.

Warner’s standing at first slip.

I hear a voice behind me.

‘It’s already marked, chump,’ – it’s a hybrid of chum and champ and it had its desired effect – I was rattled.

2-0.

There’s an anonymous bloke at point and he follows suit. He’s done his research and it shows.

‘Big move lads, big move from Manly, they didn’t want him, he’s followed a pack of cheats.’

The word strikes a chord. I look around the field.

Did he just say that?

Maybe I misheard, surely, he can read the room.

I block the first.

‘Yeah mate you had plenty of lip in 2015 didn’t you. Now you’ve followed a couple of cheats to a new club.

My first thought – I have no idea who this bloke is and he’s been rattled for three years. My second; jeez the big fella is dropping C-bombs like they’re coldies on a Sunday afternoon.

I block another.

The barrage continues.

To my right stands Warner, a big smirk on his face.

‘Leave him alone boys, he’s trying his best.’

I think ‘ah he’s actually around me, it’s not all bad.’ It’s easy to forget this bloke has been spraying cricketers across the globe for 10 years.

I play another block and I’m hit with a ‘Yuck, playing for red ink mate?’

Rattled again.

The Bears are soon all out for a below-par 143, but there’s an air of confidence that we can knock over these blokes, or the impending storm will do the work for us.

Warner takes guard, and within two minutes he has a six, a four and the crowd’s attention. This could go either way.

Standing at mid-off I try to think of my best sprays, something that will rattle this guy’s cage.

I go for the trusty – ‘no idea this bloke’. What escapes my mouth is nothing short of a whisper, it hits him like a cool summer breeze. My form is terrible, and Warner is ready to capitalise.

However, as they say, the bigger you are, the harder you fall.

Warner, confidently – maybe too confidently, tries to whack veteran seamer Jimmy Campbell through cover (everyone knows you don’t cover-drive before 20) and he finds the hands of the agile Ben Bryant.

Child’s play.

A few overs later I find myself on the fence at third-man – anything to get these hands out of the ring.

Warner is walking around the fence, bouncing a footy with the skill of Buddy Franklin. Candice Warner is sat behind me.

‘Pretend he’s not there. You’re on the same pitch. You’re equals.’

How wrong I was.

With each ball fielded I return to hear Warner in the stands, regaling wife and child alike with stories from the international scene that they’ve heard a million times. I think It had something to do with hitting 100 in a losing side.

The game eventually peters out and Randwick end up taking the cake.

There’s still one last moment this bloke can alpha me – the handshake. The biggest moment a player can have on or off the field.

Too firm and you’re a bad bloke, too soft and you’re branded a coward for life.

Warner’s in the middle.

Tactful.

With each shake my palm is sweatier.

It all weighs on this.

Bang.

I hit him hard and hit him square, we lock eyes.

Is this a small victory?

‘Game, mate’, I pause.

Nothing.

3-0 to the big fella.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... reF8nEA3mE
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: Warner article

Postby heater31 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:47 pm

North Sydney no.11 from the weekend is a bloke by the name of Sam Alexander....

0 not out from 4 balls and 1 for 20 from 9 overs!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Booney » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:50 pm

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby David Brent » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:58 am

A real stinker of an article isn't it? Fox should be embarrassed for running it.

Trying to rip off the Grade Cricketer really. Not sure Davy did anything unexpected or wrong in this case.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:07 am

David Brent wrote:A real stinker of an article isn't it? Fox should be embarrassed for running it.

Trying to rip off the Grade Cricketer really. Not sure Davy did anything unexpected or wrong in this case.

Yeah, it lacked everything, probably just reminding us of how much of a shit bloke Warner is.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby MW » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:08 am

Are you lads serious? I thought it was a great article
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Bum Crack » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:16 am

MW wrote:Are you lads serious? I thought it was a great article

Na it was shit. Mind you, anything that's about Warner loses me straight away. Absolutely despise the little prick. He's the main reason I have no real interest in cricket anymore.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:28 am

Bum Crack wrote:

Na it was shit. Mind you, anything that's about Warner loses me straight away. Absolutely despise the little prick. He's the main reason I have no real interest in cricket anymore.

I'm with you, he is a disgrace, he's ripped the heart out of Australian cricket and should go out and try to be a decent role model for the game, ripping into a genuine bunny just reeks of being an obnoxious flogger.

His celebration of his ton a couple of weeks ago highlighted how much of a knob he is.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:51 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

I'm with you, he is a disgrace, he's ripped the heart out of Australian cricket and should go out and try to be a decent role model for the game, ripping into a genuine bunny just reeks of being an obnoxious flogger.

His celebration of his ton a couple of weeks ago highlighted how much of a knob he is.
Out of the 3 suspensions, David Warner is the only one I'd be happy to never see again in a baggy green.

Don't care what his wife says, suffer away from the public eye and seek help privately.
heater31

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:52 am

Bum Crack wrote:

I think it's a great read as it perpetuates your thoughts and those of many others, the bloke is a prick who can't see what he's done because he's got his head up his own arse.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:His celebration of his ton a couple of weeks ago highlighted how much of a knob he is.

Damned if he did and damned if he didn't.
Celebrates and everyone says hes a knob, its only park cricket mate.
If he didn't celebrate everyone would have said he's a knob for thinking he's above his teammates.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 am

heater31 wrote:Out of the 3 suspensions, David Warner is the only one I'd be happy to never see again in a baggy green.

Don't care what his wife says, suffer away from the public eye and seek help privately.

Yep, as much as Smith often comes across as a spoilt little brat you could genuinely feel the hurt he had caused for himself and feel the remorse.

Couldn't care less about the young dickhead, reminded me of the guy from Shawshank Redemption, as for Davey, move to Barbados mate and be a hero in their T20 comp.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:59 am

Trader wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:His celebration of his ton a couple of weeks ago highlighted how much of a knob he is.

Damned if he did and damned if he didn't.
Celebrates and everyone says hes a knob, its only park cricket mate.
If he didn't celebrate everyone would have said he's a knob for thinking he's above his teammates.

Possibly, I just think he should be a bit humble after what he's done, he shouldn't be playing park cricket, especially when our national team is in complete disarray.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:11 pm

Reports that Warner walked off the field today after being sledged during a Grade cricket match in Sydney.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1209 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:38 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:Reports that Warner walked off the field today after being sledged during a Grade cricket match in Sydney.

And 2 mins later returned. :roll:

What a ******* sook
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:59 pm

DAVID Warner walked off the field mid-innings after being sledged during a Sydney grade cricket match on Saturday.
Warner is playing for Randwick-Petersham while he serves his 12-month ban from international and state cricket for his role in the ball tampering scandal and came up against Western Suburbs at Pratten Park in Ashfield in Sydney’s inner west today.

Randwick-Petersham won the toss and batted first and Warner, opening the batting, had moved into the 30s before drama struck.

News.com.au understands Warner was offended by a sledge from a Wests and told the umpires he was taking himself out of the game. He left the crease and walked off the field, heading into the sheds.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Gozu » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:10 pm

Oh that's piss weak, what did he get the old "how's your wife and my kids?"
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby RustyCage » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:14 pm

I thought once you crossed the rope your innings was over?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby heater31 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:15 pm

RustyCage wrote:I thought once you crossed the rope your innings was over?
Bit of the spirit of cricket from Western Suburbs.

Also its Jason Hughes, brother of Phil accused of using the word 'disgrace' in a sledge....
heater31

Postby DOC » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:31 pm

"It’s understood Steve Smith — also serving the same ban as Warner — has been on the receiving end of criticism from fans who have up-close access to the stars at the suburban grounds."

Yes. They will not receive any criticism should they play for Australia again. Perhaps the odd nasty look.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket