CRICKET AUSTRALIA REVIEW

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

CRICKET AUSTRALIA REVIEW

Postby stampy » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:57 am

145 pages long, does it tell us anything we dont already know? i reckon it goes back to when ian chappell took over as national captain in 1971, not long after the team was branded the ugly aussies and a whole generation has grown up thinking this behaviour is required to be dominant in the test arena, times have changed and so have attitudes and being a dickhead on the field is no longer going to be tolerated, thus i think david warners international career is over, personalities like his are a dying breed
Go The Tiges!!!
stampy
Coach

Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 331 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Re: CRICKET AUSTRALIA REVIEW

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:38 pm

stampy wrote:145 pages long, does it tell us anything we dont already know? i reckon it goes back to when ian chappell took over as national captain in 1971, not long after the team was branded the ugly aussies and a whole generation has grown up thinking this behaviour is required to be dominant in the test arena, times have changed and so have attitudes and being a dickhead on the field is no longer going to be tolerated, thus i think david warners international career is over, personalities like his are a dying breed

There is a difference between playing 'hard' cricket and being arrogant twats like the latest generation have become (pre suspensions to Warner et al) IMO. I do believe that the in stump mikes make it easier for us to see/hear the transgression from 'hard' to 'arrogant' whereby in Chappelli's day you couldn't.

For me, I didn't like the Warne generation either. I thought we became arrogant back then too. But we won. It's difficult to know what combination of hardness and arrogance you need to be successful but I'd rather we played the game in the right spirit (whatever that means) and win, rather than be the arrogant prats that we saw get admonished for ball tampering. Difficult balance but nonetheless I think it's achievable.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:18 pm

Doesn't it tell us that the poor behaviour by the Australian cricket team was not just driven by the players, but also the Cricket Australia administration who pushed a win at all costs culture. It is incredible the Charman is reappointed for 3 more years, days before the report is handed down. He has to stand down. The door is well and truly open for Smith, Warner and Bancroft to have their suspensions softened and return to test cricket this summer.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby tigerpie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:15 pm

The last 2 years or so we stepped over the line in relation to the spirit of cricket.
Warner has contributed to this greatly.
Can anyone see that previous captains,Waugh, Ponting, Taylor,Chappell (both)
Would've taken him aside and told him to pull his head in.

Smith isn't a big enough character to do this.
CA however should've stepped in on his behalf so heads should roll.

We should continue to play hard no compromising cricket, but have a firm grasp of the spirit of cricket.
Abuse is not sledging its just plain abuse.
Sledging is an art form that should only practised by people with at least half a brain. Davey hasn't qualified!
Questioning batting techniques and courage are acceptable.
Telling a bowler he's slower than his mum or questioning his field placements are also acceptable.
Giving Ol butter fingers second slip a clip, or calling a fielder custard arm are also allowed.

As for trying to get bans lifted, that's a joke.
These blokes are lucky to be able to represent Australia again....well one will.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:55 pm

tigerpie wrote:The last 2 years or so we stepped over the line in relation to the spirit of cricket.

We should continue to play hard no compromising cricket, but have a firm grasp of the spirit of cricket.
Sledging is an art form that should only practised by people with at least half a brain. Davey hasn't qualified!
Telling a bowler he's slower than his mum or questioning his field placements are also acceptable.
Giving Ol butter fingers second slip a clip, or calling a fielder custard arm are also allowed.

These blokes are lucky to be able to represent Australia again....well one will.

Well said, mate!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby westozfalcon » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:16 pm

tigerpie wrote:The last 2 years or so we stepped over the line in relation to the spirit of cricket.

Out of those captains, I reckon only Ian Chappell could be relied upon to reign in personal abuse and playing outside the spirit of the game.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby jackpot jim » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:31 pm

tigerpie wrote:

100% agree and i wouldn't miss watching any of them one bit.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 339 times
Been liked: 444 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:59 pm

#sackpeever
#letthemplay
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby tigerpie » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:06 pm

westozfalcon wrote:

Out of those captains, I reckon only Ian Chappell could be relied upon to reign in personal abuse and playing outside the spirit of the game.

Respectfully disagree.
These captains, and i forgot Border, all understood the spirit of the game and their standing not just in the game but in Australian culture.
The line in international cricket has blurred badly in the last few years.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby Grenville » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:15 pm

tigerpie wrote:
westozfalcon wrote:

Respectfully disagree.
These captains, and i forgot Border, all understood the spirit of the game and their standing not just in the game but in Australian culture.

The great man AB would not have let things get as bad as they have.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:05 pm

Many pairs of rose colored glasses being worn in here
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby tigerpie » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:02 pm

Grenville wrote:
tigerpie wrote:
westozfalcon wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

The great man AB would not have let things get as bad as they have.

Yep. Ask McDermott if AB took any lip.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Postby westozfalcon » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:11 pm

tigerpie wrote:
westozfalcon wrote:

Respectfully disagree.

I agree with you about Allan Border.

Greg Chappell certainly fails with respect to the ‘spirit of the game’ aspect after the underarm incident in 1981.

For all his brash behavior, Ian Chappell would never tolerate any form of cheating. In a match in Australia’s series in India in 1969/70, Aussie wicketkeeper Ray Jordon, standing up to the wicket, successfully appealed for ‘bowled’ after a delivery ricocheted off his pads onto the batsman’s stumps. From his fielding position, Chappell thought the dismissal was dodgy and told captain Bill Lawry that he wouldn’t again play in the same team as Jordon because of his 'cheating'. Chappelli needed less encouragement than that to dislike a Victorian but you can see the point.

Also, Chappelli would never accept mindless abuse and unintelligent drivel (the type that is mostly uttered by fielders these days) being spoken at a batsman. If words were said they had to be pointed, relevant and have an element of cleverness to them. I don’t think the same standards have been upheld by some recent Australian captains.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:15 am

Q. wrote:Many pairs of rose colored glasses being worn in here

As in?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:35 pm

CRICKET Australia director Mark Taylor is reportedly expected to resign from the governing body’s board on Monday afternoon.

The former Test captain will hold a news conference at 2pm (AEDT) when he is expected to announce the decision, according to Peter Lalor from The Australian.

Taylor’s resignation would come just days after chairman David Peever quit in light of scathing criticism in the wake of the Longstaff Review.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby am Bays » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:50 am

Harrowing:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-02/jamie-mitchell-cricket-abuse-on-india-and-sri-lanka-tour/100715912

I’ll say it again people go on about Warner Smith et al but Cricket Australia is the root of the ills.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:57 pm

am Bays wrote:Harrowing:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-01-02/jamie-mitchell-cricket-abuse-on-india-and-sri-lanka-tour/100715912

I’ll say it again people go on about Warner Smith et al but Cricket Australia is the root of the ills.

Compelling read .... very harrowing.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:21 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
am Bays wrote:Harrowing:

Compelling read .... very harrowing.
The players are all saying similar stories yet no administrators can recall anything???? [emoji848]

No wonder we got in the shit 30 odd years later in South Africa!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby RB » Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:19 pm

A long read. Agreed very disturbing.

It appears that the coach and doctor were the worst possible choices to lead a group of young men on tour overseas.

That the ACB had reason to be concerned about the coach's behaviour before sending them on tour is quite damning. And still attempting to sweep it under the carpet 35+ years later. What a joke of an organization.

Hopefully Mitchell and other alleged victims can get the justice that they should have received decades earlier.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:13 pm

That's quite disturbing on many fronts.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times