The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:12 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
The Bedge wrote:Nah **** his reaction I loved it.. should’ve got in Smith’s face and told the mug to get up and get ready for another.. **** this sportsmanship crap these days I wanna see fierce rivalries.

The landscape around this sort of behaviour changed a few years back on the SCG.

Nothing wrong with his bowling or tactics, but any 'afters' when a bloke is laying on the ground is not on.

Ridiculous comment Bedge.....
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:53 pm

BoundaryRider84 wrote:Ridiculous comment Bedge.....

Go find a safe place to cry in.

I was being somewhat satirical, of course no one wants people to actually get hurt playing sport but shit i'm sick and tired off the massive over reactions about things. Everyone gets on their high horse about someting these days and find frankly the most insignificant things to complain about - it's sickening.

I hate commentators highlighting how good sports players are at times like a big pat on the back geez he's a good guy type crap, especially in the AFL when players run from everywhere to pass on condolences to an injured player.

This whole Archer fiasco is a load of shit.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:18 pm

The Bedge wrote:

I was being somewhat satirical, of course no one wants people to actually get hurt playing sport but shit i'm sick and tired off the massive over reactions about things. Everyone gets on their high horse about someting these days and find frankly the most insignificant things to complain about - it's sickening.

I hate commentators highlighting how good sports players are at times like a big pat on the back geez he's a good guy type crap, especially in the AFL when players run from everywhere to pass on condolences to an injured player.

Whooshka!
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:15 pm

The Bedge wrote:

What is the fiasco?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Minimum Chips » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 pm

The Bedge wrote:

We're in the "Age of Outrage".
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby northerner » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

What is the fiasco?

Sounds like people trying to create a fiasco by suggesting there is a fiasco.... I haven't seen anyone here or elsewhere creating a fiasco re Archer. And whist the laugh was bad look, in hindsight he clearly didn't know how to react. Borne out by a different attitude when he bonked Lab...

I take more umbrage out of Roots non catch... I don't mind him awaiting 3rd ump decision. But to be so damn sure that he raises the finger, potentially pre-empting the soft call as out from the umps was not a great look. Imagine if Smith, Warner or Bancroft had claimed that catch?
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Corona Man » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:23 pm

northerner wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Bedge wrote:

What is the fiasco?

Sounds like people trying to create a fiasco by suggesting there is a fiasco.... I haven't seen anyone here or elsewhere creating a fiasco re Archer. And whist the laugh was bad look, in hindsight he clearly didn't know how to react. Borne out by a different attitude when he bonked Lab...

I take more umbrage out of Roots non catch... I don't mind him awaiting 3rd ump decision. But to be so damn sure that he raises the finger, potentially pre-empting the soft call as out from the umps was not a great look. Imagine if Smith, Warner or Bancroft had claimed that catch?

Imagine if Warner could actually catch!
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Grenville » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:52 pm

This whole Archer fiasco is a load of shit.[/quote]
What is the fiasco?[/quote]

I take more umbrage out of Roots non catch... I don't mind him awaiting 3rd ump decision. But to be so damn sure that he raises the finger, potentially pre-empting the soft call as out from the umps was not a great look. Imagine if Smith, Warner or Bancroft had claimed that catch?[/quote]
Imagine if Warner could actually catch![/quote]

Or get double figures with the bat. He's batting like Dave Gilbert at the moment.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:03 pm

Grenville wrote:Or get double figures with the bat. He's batting like Dave from Alberton at the moment.

Fixed that for you.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:19 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I must be hiding under a rock, I haven't seen one thing directed at Archer.

I did read some shit the day after it happened about English players allegedly laughing after it happened, the Barmy Army booing when he returned and some chop was the first one ever to be evicted from the MCC for ripping into Smith as he made his was through the long room.

There was a very brief snippet on the telly showing Buttler and Archer standing at the top of Archer's run having half a laugh. Apparently Archer was a bit cut up and Buttler was calming him.

There was some booing when Smith returned, but the Balmy Army weren't at Lords and apparently put out a social media whatever decrying whoever was doing it.

The story told by Buttler on BBC radio was that

The photo of them smiling was after Smith returned to his feet, Buttler commented “we can’t get him out, we can’t knock him out, is he even human”
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:16 am

northerner wrote:Sounds like people trying to create a fiasco by suggesting there is a fiasco.... I haven't seen anyone here or elsewhere creating a fiasco re Archer. And whist the laugh was bad look, in hindsight he clearly didn't know how to react. Borne out by a different attitude when he bonked Lab...

I'm gonna stick up for Ellen here, you can tell it bounced if it hits the palm of your hands first, I think he genuinely thought he caught it as he appeared to grasp the ball with his fingers.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:54 pm

Unlikely result I know, but Australia to win the Series 1-0 is paying $151
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby northerner » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:06 pm

JK wrote:Unlikely result I know, but Australia to win the Series 1-0 is paying $151

England would be favourites to win this Test. If they don't then they will not regain the Ashes.

Any news on the pitch? I saw a reference to it being similar to last Test? Any extra info?
northerner
Reserves

Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby batmanbegins » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:06 pm

JK wrote:Unlikely result I know, but Australia to win the Series 1-0 is paying $151

No chance with good weather at headingley. Will last 4 days this test, always plenty in the wicket.

I know blokes are ripping warner but hes proven to be all class and is a genuine match winner. Opening in england is bloody tough and even the greatest openers off all time have struggled there. Makes cooks record all that much better.
batmanbegins
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:34 pm

batmanbegins wrote:I know blokes are ripping warner but hes proven to be all class .

Hmmm...
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:42 pm

northerner wrote:

England would be favourites to win this Test. If they don't then they will not regain the Ashes.

Any news on the pitch? I saw a reference to it being similar to last Test? Any extra info?

Geoff Lawson made an interesting comment about Headingly. When you win the toss, you don't look down, you look up. If it's overcast, you bowl.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Been liked: 532 times

Postby RB » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:47 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:When you win the toss, you don't look down

I know things are different in England, but I still think the opposite of this.

Keep it simple and bat.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:50 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:
northerner wrote:

Geoff Lawson made an interesting comment about Headingly. When you win the toss, you don't look down, you look up. If it's overcast, you bowl.

Lawson is an arrogant, know it all, dick.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:09 pm

Spargo wrote:
Lawson is an arrogant, know it all, dick.

Disappointing as I loved him as a player, a good honest into the wind bowler, but I totally agree with you now.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Bancroft dropped.
Lightning McQueen
Coach