The Ashes 2019

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: The Ashes 2019

Postby RB » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:03 am

Jim05 wrote:
RustyCage wrote:With how poor the umpiring has been all series, why did we waste our last review? That last LBW was absolutely plumb and the umpire is incompetent for not giving it, but that’s why you have reviews.

Hats off to Stokes though, absolutely amazing innings

Cummins was shaking his head and saying no yet that absolute fool Paine went for the review on a whim and botched it.
Can’t bat
Can’t keep
Zero technical nous.
Just sack him now and play Carey
Yep. His batting is bad, his keeping ordinary, but his decision making is atrocious. He's clearly one of those guys guilty of the worst combination of over thinking and compulsive decision making in one. Some of his calls have been bizarre. I would not want to play under a captain so prone to brain explosions.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:23 am

StrayDog wrote:
RustyCage wrote:With how poor the umpiring has been all series, why did we waste our last review? That last LBW was absolutely plumb and the umpire is incompetent for not giving it, but that’s why you have reviews.

Hats off to Stokes though, absolutely amazing innings

While the Aussies burned their last review with, what it seemed to this bleary eyed viewer at the time, might have been more tactical reasons than practical - just bad luck that it would have made all the difference so soon after. I'd like to think the review system was designed to 'fill in the blanks for rare errors or close calls - not for blatant errors.

Still, the Aussies had their chances - I can't remember screaming in frustration at the television that late at night before this morning.

Stokes innings one for the ages, will be talked about by future generations as an example of what belief and focus can achieve.

Special mention to Jack Leach - played the last stand support role to perfection, as cool as a cucumber to the end.

Some good points here, StrayDog. Stokes wrote his place into and Ashes folklore, a spectacular innings.

Whilst I’m really disappointed that Australia threw away a match that it shouldn’t have lost to the Old Enemy, last night demonstrated how absolutely amazing and exciting the culmination of a test match can be, and that the game can ebb and flow no mater what advantage you reckon you might have. No fireworks, rock music, and razzle-dazzle bullshit required, just 100% pure cricket (I’m looking at you, T20 cricket).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:26 am

My anger at Paine hasn't settle the morning.

No surprise the useless bastard went to shit when he didn't have Smith holding his hand at first slip.

You just knew when he reviewed one that landed 2.75m outside leg stump it was going to come back and bite us on the arse. He just had to give the bowlers more than one ball an over to bowl at Leach.

Get a keeper in who can bat, give Head as the captaincy as Smith will do the role anyway and piss Paine off for good.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby locky801 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:35 am

The test we should not have lost but we did

Fantastic innings by Stokes which reminded me of many decades ago in an ashes series when Australia were well on top and heading for an Ashes win.

Out came Ian Botham who smashed a quick big hundred, won England the test from nowhere and in the end England smashed Australia in the last 2 tests to win the Ashes.

Will be interesting to see how we come back from this, dont agree with Jim that we will smash them in the last 2 tests
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3645 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:52 am

Three more things the Aussies stuffed up:

Earylish in the partnership Harris at third man throwing to the bowlers end when he throwing to the keeper likely would have had Stokes out

For all our fast bowlers wanting to bowl bouncers at the tail, I can't recall them trying any genuine ones at Stokes in that last partnership, even early on we didn't try a couple on the 5th and 6th balls and it wouldn't have mattered if we went for a couple boundaries as we still had plenty of runs to play with and get a full over at Leach

Can't recall any slower balls to Stokes to try to upset his momentum,. Even that last ball from Cummins was rubbish,, short and wide. Field was right up, a slower ball may have got him chipping one. Was worth a try coz there was nothing to lose,.

Edit: Harris was at fine leg
Last edited by FlyingHigh on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby northerner » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:08 am

Hate Mondays at the best of times... wake up today and realise it wasnt a bad dream.

Two things stick... Test cricket is alive and well. How good was that Pommie crowd cheering every run from ball one of the 4th innings. Test matches arebthe only form of cricket which enables absolutely anything to happen at any stage.

Secondly... I have supported and respected Paine throughout the last 12 months. Great ambassador who saw us turn around the shocking culture of the team. Now hes redundant. He kept well this game but we need a guy who can bat at 7 whilst our top six are wobbly and anyone can captain with JL and smith advising.
What are the protocols for getting Carey in when hes not in the squad?
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 am

northerner wrote:Hate Mondays at the best of times... wake up today and realise it wasnt a bad dream.

Two things stick... Test cricket is alive and well. How good was that Pommie crowd cheering every run from ball one of the 4th innings. Test matches arebthe only form of cricket which enables absolutely anything to happen at any stage.

Secondly... I have supported and respected Paine throughout the last 12 months. Great ambassador who saw us turn around the shocking culture of the team. Now hes redundant. He kept well this game but we need a guy who can bat at 7 whilst our top six are wobbly and anyone can captain with JL and smith advising.
What are the protocols for getting Carey in when hes not in the squad?

Carey was playing T20 in England, so I assume he is still there. Should simply be a case of calling him up, but they will not drop Tim Paine. Only chance for a change is injury.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:26 am

I went to bed at 4-229 and thought we would lose it because of the way we were bowling. Just utter rubbish. Hardly any deliveries would've hit the stumps in the first session. 5 wides by Patto? Don't really know what he was doing but he looked ready for a spell.

I was surprised to get so close in the end. The comical part of it was that I hear we bowled bouncers to the tail again? What is that tactic? Can no one bowl a good yorker any more? Then to hear that we stuffed up a DRS and the umpires stuffed up a simple LBW chance just goes to show that the game is run in farcical fashion.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:28 am

Aussies only have themselves to blame.
Stuffed up the run out and didn’t save a review.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby mal » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 am

Ends up being a good toss to win ....

Well done to Ben Stokes and Roy Laird for that amazing last wicket partnership
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:45 am

mal wrote:Ends up being a good toss to win ....

Well done to Ben Stokes and Roy Laird for that amazing last wicket partnership

Roy Laird?
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:54 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Cummins is McGrath good

Dear me. Not even in the same library yet and totally different bowlers.

I doubt that anyone will ever be able to bowl the perfect line and length that McGrath did for his entire career, to be able to bowl an at the throat 130km bouncer where batsman absolutely poop themselves was something special too, especially when he had Brett Lee bowling them at 150km + from the other end.

I don't like McGrath but gee he is in a league of his own for pace bowling.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:56 am

How good is Ben Stokes? To get over the line in them circumstances is a true test of character and grit.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:How good is Ben Stokes? To get over the line in them circumstances is a true test of character and grit.

Given that he batted unconventionally to start with, having 9 off 81 deliveries and the like, it was truly a great knock.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:04 am

Reminded me of an innings I saw a bloke filling in the B Grade play once LOL!! Very similar standard of cricket tbh.

http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/ ... ityID=1988
whufc
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:11 am

True all-rounders are a great part of cricket partly because of their rarity, but let's just hope our media don't get back on the "we need an all-rounder" bandwagon. Or worse still, our selectors do the same and try to manufacture something.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:17 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:How good is Ben Stokes? To get over the line in them circumstances is a true test of character and grit.

Given that he batted unconventionally to start with, having 9 off 81 deliveries and the like, it was truly a great knock.

Exactly.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 am

FlyingHigh wrote:True all-rounders are a great part of cricket partly because of their rarity, but let's just hope our media don't get back on the "we need an all-rounder" bandwagon. Or worse still, our selectors do the same and try to manufacture something.

It could have been Mitch Marsh! ;)
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:23 am

whufc wrote:Reminded me of an innings I saw a bloke filling in the B Grade play once LOL!! Very similar standard of cricket tbh.

http://mycricket.cricket.com.au/common/ ... ityID=1988

Geez you've been holding onto that one for a while desperate to use.. :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby JK » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:25 am

Wonder if Lillee, Marsh and co. Made a few bob on this one too
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times