2019/20 Australian International summer

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2019/20 Australian International summer

Postby daysofourlives » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:46 am

Jim05 wrote:I’m enjoying this more without the crowd.
How good is the sound of leather and willow. A couple of sixes have thudded off seats in the outer.

Did the players have to jump the fence to retrieve the balls?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby locky801 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:09 pm

New Zealand heading home, remaining games called off
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3647 times
Been liked: 1160 times

Postby Armchair expert » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:12 pm

They are scared of our quicks

run home you bitches
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Jim05 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:13 pm

Armchair expert wrote:They are scared of our quicks

run home you bitches
They have to be back in NZ before midnight tomorrow when the new ban kicks in. After that they are required to self quarantine for 14 days
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:50 am

locky801 wrote:New Zealand heading home, remaining games called off

Pointless series from the outset, made even more pointless playing on front of 7 people and having to climb the fence to get the ball.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:08 pm

Tony Lewis, renowned for devising the Duckworth-Lewis rain rule for limited overs cricket, passed away at the age of 78 on Wednesday

Apparently his funeral has been shortened to 18 minutes
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby David Brent » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:15 pm

Has anyone watched 'The Test" yet on Amazon Prime.

I loved every second of it, if you enjoy sporting doco's it's worth a look.

One small take i took from watching it was, even the Aussie Cricket Team still use crappy Power-Point slides in team meetings like every other workplace.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:02 pm

David Brent wrote:Has anyone watched 'The Test" yet on Amazon Prime.

One small take i took from watching it was, even the Aussie Cricket Team still use crappy Power-Point slides in team meetings like every other workplace.
I posted this in the TV thread-

Has anyone watched or going to watch the cricket doco The Test?
It came out last Thursday so I signed up to the Amazon Prime free month trial and finished it on Tuesday. It is a must watch for an Australian cricket nuffie like myself and have great insight to how it all works for the Aussie boys.
A few things I took out of it-
Tim Paine came across really well for me again, he's down to earth and knows exactly where he's at as a cricketer and how people feel about him. I feel as though people would gain respect for him and cut him some slack if they watched it.

I'd say the same about Aaron Finch, he knows exactly where he's at and he's been a very respectable player and captain. I enjoyed listening to him.

Justin Langer is so passionate and his role as coach is obviously so important to him. I don't like his bias to his WA boys (a fact he doesn't really shy away from) but he is so good to listen too. He swears quite a but which is confronting when you listen to someone so much and never hear them swear. Ricky Ponting was the same and that goes for most sportsmen.

Usman Khawaja came across as quite arrogant as he really doesn't like being told what to do but his relationship with Langer seems like a decent and honest one as Khawaja is not afraid to speak his mind.

Mitch Marsh is much miligned but he is a very funny man and is good value and comes across as a real good bloke despite the criticism he constantly faces. After his press conference during the Oval test match and then this doco I've cut him some slack.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10298 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:53 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

It came out last Thursday so I signed up to the Amazon Prime free month trial and finished it on Tuesday. It is a must watch for an Australian cricket nuffie like myself and have great insight to how it all works for the Aussie boys.
Tim Paine came across really well for me again, he's down to earth and knows exactly where he's at as a cricketer and how people feel about him. I feel as though people would gain respect for him and cut him some slack if they watched it.

I'd say the same about Aaron Finch, he knows exactly where he's at and he's been a very respectable player and captain. I enjoyed listening to him.

Justin Langer is so passionate and his role as coach is obviously so important to him. I don't like his bias to his WA boys (a fact he doesn't really shy away from) but he is so good to listen too. He swears quite a but which is confronting when you listen to someone so much and never hear them swear. Ricky Ponting was the same and that goes for most sportsmen.

Usman Khawaja came across as quite arrogant as he really doesn't like being told what to do but his relationship with Langer seems like a decent and honest one as Khawaja is not afraid to speak his mind.

Mitch Marsh is much miligned but he is a very funny man and is good value and comes across as a real good bloke despite the criticism he constantly faces. After his press conference during the Oval test match and then this doco I've cut him some slack.

The doco has reinforced my opinion of Khawaja being a bit of frontrunner always looking for the easy option.

Also reinforced my respect for Mitch Marsh who despite being a nations whipping boy for many years continues to put in the hard yards and front up every week.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:17 am

whufc wrote:The doco has reinforced my opinion of Khawaja being a bit of frontrunner always looking for the easy option.

Also reinforced my respect for Mitch Marsh who despite being a nations whipping boy for many years continues to put in the hard yards and front up every week.

I don't know about Usman. His 100 against South Africa in the day night test in Adelaide when Renshaw, Handscombe and Maddison debuted was a quality stand up and deliver against a quality attack. He set up the win in that test. Also when he batted virtually all day against spin in Sharjah against the pakis in episode 1. What's frustrating was he didn't do it consistently.

Yep Mitch Marsh whilst he ahs to perform to be selected what he brings to the side off-field with his personality and "care factor" cant be underestimated
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:30 am

am Bays wrote:
whufc wrote:The doco has reinforced my opinion of Khawaja being a bit of frontrunner always looking for the easy option.

I don't know about Usman. His 100 against South Africa in the day night test in Adelaide when Renshaw, Handscombe and Maddison debuted was a quality stand up and deliver against a quality attack. He set up the win in that test. Also when he batted virtually all day against spin in Sharjah against the pakis in episode 1. What's frustrating was he didn't do it consistently.

Yep Mitch Marsh whilst he ahs to perform to be selected what he brings to the side off-field with his personality and "care factor" cant be underestimated

Have to admit Khawaja has shown the odd glimpse but i half think thats a problem his a 'picker and choser' type.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:42 am

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

The doco has reinforced my opinion of Khawaja being a bit of frontrunner always looking for the easy option.

I don't think Khawaja is a frontrunner, just a guy who is not afraid to tell people what he really thinks.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby David Brent » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:45 am

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:

Disagree on Uzzie, thought he did well as the "senior batsmen" whilst Warner & Smith were out for the year. Liked that he stood up to JL & you could see things improved within the team once he did stand up to him. If Paine or Smith said what he said it would be labeled great leadership.

Averaged 41 with the bat in tests & 57 in ODI's whilst the big two were suspended. That knock in Dubai wasn't a front runners knock.
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Postby David Brent » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:20 am

https://www.wisden.com/play-and-win/qui ... st-century

Have a go at the quiz lads, naming every Australian Test Centurion of the 21st Century.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:36 am

David Brent wrote:https://www.wisden.com/play-and-win/quiz-name-all-of-australias-test-centurions-in-the-21st-century

Have a go at the quiz lads, naming every Australian Test Centurion of the 21st Century.

The link didn't work mate.

I think my boss will be happy.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby RB » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:20 pm

I scored 35 out of 38. Missed Symonds, Johnson and Maxwell.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Armchair expert » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:47 pm

Got 30 spent two minutes trying to remember that nsw player that played A few tests but was boring as batshit to watch..was Phil Jaques
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 1414 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Interesting reading Ian Gould's comments re Aussie players and their behaviours, especially leading into sandpapergate.

This comment was quite noteworthy:

“Watching Steve and Cameron on the TV in Australia, well that was hard as they are good people, decent people.”

No mention of Warner, funny that!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri May 01, 2020 10:48 pm

The ICC have updated their rankings and Australia is now number one in the test rankings.

1 – Australia (116 points)
2 – New Zealand (115)
3 – India (114)
4 – England (105)
5 – Sri Lanka (91)
6 – South Africa (90)
7 – Pakistan (86)
8 – West Indies (79)
9 – Bangladesh (55)
10 – Zimbabwe (18)

The rankings might be flawed but I don't care because we're on top and that makes all Indian supporters extra salty, they are having a big cry about it across social media.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sat May 02, 2020 12:05 am

Oooooh yeah, I am loving this :lol:
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year