Channel 7 - Cricket Australia

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Channel 7 - Cricket Australia

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:05 pm

Channel 7 considering terminating $450 million cricket contract as network blasts Cricket Australia

Australian cricket is in crisis with Channel 7 declaring it will not support the upcoming summer schedule and is considering terminating its $450 million contract.

Warburton has slammed Cricket Australia as a “train wreck” and labelled its administration “stumbling, bumbling” and the “most incompetent” he has ever worked with.

The Big Bash League is set to lose its biggest stars to international hubs this summer due to COVID and Cricket Australia is refusing to give Channel 7 a discount, adamant it will honour its contract by delivering a full schedule.

News Corp can reveal cricket is now on the verge of an ugly courtroom battle with Channel 7 threatening to walk away from its contract altogether with four years still to run.

“It’s the most incompetent administration I’ve ever worked with,” Warburton told News Corp.

“It’s a train wreck. We are forced to consider all our options including terminating the contract and we have put them on notice.

“This is not an acceptable product and we will not support the season. Cricket Australia have an obligation to deliver a competition of no lesser standard than the past.”

Doubling down on his attack on Cricket Australia earlier in the week, Warburton indicated the network was receiving support from former CEO Kevin Roberts, before he was sacked.

Warburton savaged the current CA administration for the “stupid” and “chaotic” plan to cripple the Big Bash which he says is not what the company is paying $75 million a year to show.

“What a bumbling, stumbling administration,” said Warburton.

“‘Don’t worry,’ they say. ‘We will deliver a full BBL season. We’ve got good news. We can one hundred per cent tell you who can’t play because we know they are in a hub we’ve created for our International white ball games.

“‘The only problem is we actually have no idea who will play the BBL.’

“How stupid to schedule International Cricket against the BBL and drain the resources of a competition already under pressure.

“It’s a joke and it rips off the fans. Imagine the AFL starting a season without Dusty (Dustin Martin), Danger (Patrick Dangerfield), Nat Fyfe, Marcus Bontempelli or Toby Greene.

“We paid a huge price and were promised the world. There is an obligation to deliver the best quality to the broadcasters. The BBL has been under huge pressure and Cricket Australia promised a full review and a reboot, they even called it BBL 2.0 for 2020/21.

“It’s the most incompetent administration I’ve ever worked with, with no appointed full time chief executive officer at a time when the sport needs strong leadership to steer through these extraordinary times.

“Kevin Roberts recognised these challenges and had started to engage with his broadcast partners to ensure fans would see the best cricket had to offer in 2020/21. The Cricket Australia hierarchy sacked him.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: Channel 7 - Cricket Australia

Postby Trader » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:22 pm

Geez thats a fair wack, and assuming most of its true, Cricket Australia deserve a wack!

With that said, I don't think Cricket Australia had much option but to move on the previous CEO. Let's not forget Cricket got through unscathed. They lost 3 one dayers against NZ due to covid, that was it. Every other game got played with full crowds. Yet 3 months later, Cricket Australia had run out of money and were blaming Covid. Safe to say they had too many faces in the trough during the peak cycle with India and England here, and hadn't banked a cent for the down periods when we host the lesser nations like NZ and West Indies.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:20 am

Channel Seven have commenced the process to terminate its contract with Cricket Australia.

In a dramatic escalation of the TV rights drama, News Corp understands that the network sent a legal letter to CA bosses earlier this week informing them that they would begin the process to cancel the remainder of their $450 million deal, citing a belief that Cricket Australia is in breach of their contract.

Cricket Australia say the letter sent to them was not a termination letter.

Industry sources have told News Corp that Cricket Australia has 14 days to respond, before the dramatic escalation would then go into a lengthy mediation and arbitration process.

Seven and CA executives have been in talks since last Friday but the issue now appears headed for an ugly legal battle.

If Seven was ultimately successful in its legal challenge, the game could be left without a free-to-air broadcast partner on the eve of the summer.

CA has maintained all along it’s confident in its legal position that as long as it provides a full schedule, it will be upholding its end of the bargain in the mega TV rights deal.

At the crux of Seven’s complaint is a belief that the value of this year’s Big Bash League product will be diminished due to player unavailability and reduced crowds, a concern also held by the game’s other broadcast partner, Fox Sports.

“Cricket Australia remains in ongoing discussions with the Seven Network about delivering a compelling summer of cricket,” CA said in a statement.

“CA is committed to fulfilling its contractual obligations to all its partners this season.”

Cricket Australia is adamant it will produce a high quality BBL despite the complications of COVID-19 and executive Anthony Everard on Thursday denied that the T20 competition was all about star players.

“The BBL is unique. In that the success of the league and the teams is not reliant on any one particular group of players,” Everard said.

“Of course we would love to have the highest profile, best players in the world, but we haven’t had them since day one. The success has been based on the diversity of the squad and the mix of a team squad.

“We only need to look over to the UK now and the likes of Josh Phillipe and Riley Meredith in the Australian squad who wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t for their performances in the Big Bash last summer.”

Cricket Australia sources believe that Seven’s pursuit to terminate their contract with cricket is due to the company’s debt and share price position after signing an inflated deal it no longer likes.

Seven sources say their motivation is that they don’t feel they will get value for the $75 million a year they’re outlaying to broadcast cricket.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:36 am

I would have thought that reduced crowds would mean more people tuning in at home.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Brodlach » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:37 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:I would have thought that reduced crowds would mean more people tuning in at home.

AFL viewers down?

I know many not watching myself included
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:53 am

Brodlach wrote:
PatowalongaPirate wrote:I would have thought that reduced crowds would mean more people tuning in at home.

AFL viewers down?

I know many not watching myself included

If you normally go to games then I would assume you would watch the game on TV if you are unable to attend because of crowd restrictions. Big Bash is different because we are used to it being on every night. As much as some people would hate to admit it, the AFL season has been underwhelming in part due to no big games and big crowds in Melbourne.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Gozu » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:40 am

Foxtel is pushing Cricket Australia for a discount on its $600 million rights deal and potentially more exclusive games ahead of the virus-hit summer schedule, at the same time as free-to-air broadcaster Seven West Media threatens to terminate its contract.

https://www.afr.com/companies/media-and ... 913-p55v42
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Gozu » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:26 pm

Channel 7 made a partial payment for their share of the cricket TV rights fees on Tuesday, but then declared it would be their final payment of the year.

It’s just the latest twist in Channel 7’s relationship with Cricket Australia after threats from the network to walk away from the sport altogether, despite four years still remaining on its $450m deal.

Channel 7 issued a statement on Tuesday confirming it had only made a part payment of the $25m instalment it was due to pay the sport’s governing body, claiming it is what it believed constituted a fair reflection.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/channel-7 ... e928cb7f38
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:31 am

This relationship hasn't worked well has it?

I think I can sum it up pretty quickly.

They lustfully looked into each others eyes (after 7 broke up from the summer of tennis and cricket from 9), and after a night of wine-ing and dining, they hit the hay. Both woke up the next morning, ruefully looking into each others eyes and realised they'd both been unfaithful. Now 7 wants their dignity back. Now 9 and tennis are looking at each other waiting for each other to make the first move.

What a mess.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:18 pm

gadj1976 wrote:This relationship hasn't worked well has it?

They lustfully looked into each others eyes (after 7 broke up from the summer of tennis and cricket from 9), and after a night of wine-ing and dining, they hit the hay. Both woke up the next morning, ruefully looking into each others eyes and realised they'd both been unfaithful. Now 7 wants their dignity back. Now 9 and tennis are looking at each other waiting for each other to make the first move.

What a mess.

I went to bed at 2 with a 10 and woke up at 10 with a 2.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:41 am

Trader wrote:Geez thats a fair wack, and assuming most of its true, Cricket Australia deserve a wack!

With that said, I don't think Cricket Australia had much option but to move on the previous CEO. Let's not forget Cricket got through unscathed. They lost 3 one dayers against NZ due to covid, that was it. Every other game got played with full crowds. Yet 3 months later, Cricket Australia had run out of money and were blaming Covid. Safe to say they had too many faces in the trough during the peak cycle with India and England here, and hadn't banked a cent for the down periods when we host the lesser nations like NZ and West Indies.

Host the West Indies? When was the last time we did that? Been a while for sure.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:43 am

Booney wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:This relationship hasn't worked well has it?

What a mess.

I went to bed at 2 with a 10 and woke up at 10 with a 2.

And she's snoring and you can't find your shoes....so hard to creep out of the house with a massive hangover as well. You're bound to step on the cat or knock over the valued family heirloom....ffs.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:54 am

Seven has been awarded a $5.3m reduction in its dispute with Cricket Australia over the 2020-21 cricket season.

But the figure is said to be well short of the amount the network was seeking (media articles estimated $70m).

The expert appointed by the Australian Centre for International Commercial Arbitration determined that $5.3 million should be deducted from the next scheduled rights fee payment due on Monday.

The expert also determined that, if the Afghanistan Test is not rescheduled for the 2021-22 cricket season, a further $3 million should be deducted.

But Seven West Media is also reserving its rights, having raised concerns over the independence of the arbitrator, Venture Consulting chief executive Justin Jameson.

Both Seven and Cricket Australia are back in the Federal Court on Monday for preliminary discovery action relating to what Seven believes may be actionable Test Match and BBL quality failures by Cricket Australia.

Seven has argued a “prejudice paper” on the subject of free-to-air TV, streaming and sports rights from Venture Insights raises questions about independence.

Seven has a $450m rights deal with Cricket Australia.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2021/03/5-3-mi ... spute.html
Gozu
Coach

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket