Grumpy old man post

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Grumpy old man post

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:30 pm

Grumpy old men like me shook our heads in unison as T20 cricket exploded onto the world stage, but we were told stop being old and grumpy, it’s the new frontier for cricket. New audiences, they said. Families, Mums and Dads with sons and daughters alike, they said. TV revenue, they said. It will revolutionise the game, they said.

It’ll kill cricket as we know it, we all said….

15 years ago Shane Warne was the poster boy for Aussie kids every summer, the likes of Mitch Swepson, Adam Zampa and Lloyd Pope looked at Warnie, looked at leg spin bowling, as thousands of other kids did and thought “I’ll give that a go, I want to be like Warney”. As many of them, including those named above found out and continue to find out, it isn’t easy.

There’s a craft, an art to leg spin bowling and that art, that craft, is just as prevalent in batting and fast bowling. That art, that craft is now beginning to resemble some sort of drunken Jackson Pollock effort as batsman flail their bats around like light sabres warding off the dark side and bowlers invent mystery balls they don’t even have names for.

I can hear it now, junior coaches all around the country yelling “Cut it out!” ( Are they allowed to anymore? ) as Junior Batter in the nets does his best Smudge or Marnus impersonation. I struggle to watch Steve Smith at the crease, I love the fact he plunders runs for our country ( I’m not yet back in love with him post sandpaper gate ) but I simply cannot bring myself to appreciate the way he goes about it. Fidget this, fidget that, bump this, bump that. “Get on with it”, or something similar, I cry from mid off.

Now we have new wonder kid Marnus Labuschagne menacingly waving the toe of his bat at bowlers “No run!” as he leaves a ball through to the ‘keeper. What I wouldn’t give to be standing at mid off asking for an explanation. “What are you doing mate?” would be the gist of the enquiry.

Bowlers claim to have numerous, as many as 10 or 12, different deliveries they can use when they hit the crease. The basics of all forms are mere stepping stones as batters and bowlers alike fill up their kit bags with tricks. Batsman use bats that Clive Lloyd would think look too big and heavy, but they’re light, with whip in their pick up like never before and a thick edge flies for a “maximum”. (6 isn’t actually a “maximum” but that’s another grumpy old man article ). Bump one through a gap and it races to the boundary.

Where only a few years ago the likes of Matt Hayden inspired kids to stand tall at the crease, look square at the bowler and defend when you needed to defend and when the bowler strays you fill your boots. Justin Langer showed it doesn’t matter how fast they bowl, how hard they hit you or how out of touch you were you dug in for your team and did what was best for them, not for you. You didn’t hit a ramp shot straight up in the air when you’re 3 off 8 balls.

Glenn McGrath would hit the crease with metronomic monotony aiming to hit the top of off again and again and again and any little natural variation would ensure the downfall of even the world’s best batsman. That’s right, even Lara, Tendulkar, Sangakarra, they all felt the tickle of a McGrath leg cutter moments before departing the crease. It’s almost like you don’t need 10 different deliveries to succeed, you just need to do one really well.

Warne would stalk victims like a apex predator often knowing their next move before they did. He’d set them up with subtle variations from the hand and when he was ready to strike they were as vulnerable as a plastic cup full of West End on the hill at a Test match. He used patience and skill to work a batsman over, he didn’t celebrate like he’d won X-lotto when he had someone caught on the boundary off a full bunger.

Sports evolve, they always have and always will but what will cricket of the future, at all levels, look like? Kids play more T20 cricket than long form from the youngest of ages as they don’t seem to have the capacity to concentrate through long periods in the field. That’s cricket though, so what are they actually learning to play?

Are kids learning to switch hit and play ramp shots before they have mastered and forward defence? Are they trying to bowl zooters and flippers before they can hit a line and length?

If you think cricket has changed in the last 5 years this grumpy old man has some news for you and the next time you hear “Cut it out!” from an oval nearby know that a grumpy old man somewhere just mumbled “Told you so” under his breath.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Re: Grumpy old man post

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:41 pm

Great post.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:42 pm

Magellan wrote:Great post.

HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:47 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:Great post.

Is that what Christopher Pine's up to now?
Last edited by Magellan on Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:04 pm

Booney wrote:Sports evolve, they always have and always will but what will cricket of the future, at all levels, look like?

To make an aligned yet non-cricketing point (or rant), the 'evolution' of sport is a phrase too easily thrown around to justify changes or reasons to resist addressing things that require reform. The word 'evolution' suggest a degree of refinement or improvement, like in Darwin's theory.

The pro-defensive changes in AFL footy (and Aussie rules, in general) that have incrementally occurred through coaching innovations over the last couple of decades is often justified in these terms. However, on no rational basis could you say that a fast, attacking, free-flowing game without an offside rule as it had developed up to the mid-to-late 1990s has gotten any better since. Apparently, full-forwards kicking 50-odd goals in 22 games or half-time scores that resemble a soccer match is evidence of 'evolution'.

I'd say T20 has promoted an approach to cricket where the advantage is weighed so heavily in favour of the batsman (e.g. permitting reverse/switch hitting, which I think is bullshit) that I don't know why you'd ever aspire to be a bowler in that format. Footy, of course, has gone in the opposite direction, favoring defense over attack.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:14 pm

Speaking of grumpy old men - AB goes bang!!

Australia A v India A: Allan Border blasts Alex Carey captaincy; can’t understand Pat Cummins omission
Cricket legend Allan Border has blasted Australia A for its “lethargic” effort against India A in the final tour match.
Border EVISCERATES Australia A’s effort
Cricket: Former captain Allan Border has slammed the Australian A side for their effort in the field against India during the second tour match.
Test legend Allan Border has ripped shreds off Alex Carey’s captaincy and blasted the decision to rest Australia’s highest-paid cricketer Pat Cummins.
In perhaps his most outspoken commentary stint ever, a “ropeable” Border vented his disgust at the aimlessness of Australia A’s fielding performance against India at the SCG, declaring he would have preferred an under 16’s club team take the field instead.
Carey, considered by selectors to be a future international leader, responded to the criticism from Border, who said the wicketkeeper had come down in his estimations.
“I highly respect Allan Border and if he sees that, I guess you take a bit out of it,” Carey said.
“The way we responded today was outstanding. Last night was difficult, they had two set batters and Rishabh (Pant) the way he played… we’ve also had a lot of injuries the last couple of days.”
Border accused Carey’s team – featuring a number of players in the current Test squad – of one of the greatest sins in cricket for an Australian: not having a go.
“They gave up. Australian cricket teams, you can handle getting beaten and we put in some poor performances, I’ve been part of quite a few. But I don’t think you’d ever accuse Australian sides of not having a go. Just their attitude. I don’t blame them all but there was general (lethargy),” Border said in his scathing stint on Fox Cricket, after a night session on Saturday where India dominated an Australia A attack missing Sean Abbott (rested with calf soreness).
“It’s one of the worst, (most) lethargic performances I have seen in the last session of any cricket.
“This is Australia A, they are representing Australia, they are young blokes trying to make their way. That fielding performance, bowling performance, captaincy performance – an absolute disgrace. Not up to scratch at all.
“If Alex Carey is in line to be an Australian captain, he has got a lot of work to do for me.
“He has gone down quite a few pegs. He is a good cricketer Alex Carey, he has got a bit of energy himself, but yesterday he should have reacted to the way the general feel around the team was.
“I’m happy for any of those guys to come talk to me about what was going on yesterday afternoon and (I would) stand corrected but it was very ordinary stuff.
“I would’ve been sending out some pretty terse messages about lifting your expletive, expletive game otherwise you’re out of there. I’m going to get the under 16s from the Mosman cricket club to come and do a better job in the field. I would’ve absolutely hammered them last night. Just not good enough boys, I’m afraid.”
Carey said he would absolutely be willing to take Border up on his offer of a chat.
“I love talking to the greats that have been in Australian cricket and picking their brain, and one of Australia’s best captains and players… I’d love to have a chat to AB,” he said.
“I guess personally being out there, the attitude wasn’t bad. We were trying. (But) I’d absolutely like to sit down and chat to AB for all parts of my game.”
Border questioned how selectors could pick leg-spinner Mitchell Swepson (1-148 from 29 overs) as a potential option alongside Nathan Lyon later in the Test series against India, although didn’t question his effort.
The former captain was also off his long run on the resting of star players, as he and fellow commentator Brendon Julian questioned how Australia could justify resting Cummins for the majority of the recent limited overs international series against India when he’d just spent two months in the IPL on $3.17 million.
Pat Cummins has barely played in recent weeks - and Allan Border can’t understand why.
Border said he didn’t blame Cummins, and understood the family issues COVID-19 has created and the pressure that has put on selectors, but said the Australian shirt had to be once again made the No.1 priority.
“Why wouldn’t you (go to the IPL), it’s a fantastic pay packet and you’re bowling four overs every three days. But he gets rested from an Australia game … He shouldn’t be rested from an Australia game. If he’s ready to play he should play,” said Border.
“Knowing Pat … there’s no way he’s suggesting it. It’s the powers that be. The management. Trying to work their way through their season, and I get it (COVID has made it hard).
“But it just annoys me. There’s no problems playing for the Kolkata Knight Riders and you get paid accordingly – and that’s fantastic, I’d be doing it myself – but I wouldn’t expect to be rested when I came back to Australia.
“We are an entertainment sport now. You’ve got punters out there, big television rights being paid. You’re doing the game a disservice by making these moves.”
Minimum Chips
Under 18s

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:50 pm

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:Sports evolve, they always have and always will but what will cricket of the future, at all levels, look like?

To make an aligned yet non-cricketing point (or rant), the 'evolution' of sport is a phrase too easily thrown around to justify changes or reasons to resist addressing things that require reform. The word 'evolution' suggest a degree of refinement or improvement, like in Darwin's theory.

The pro-defensive changes in AFL footy (and Aussie rules, in general) that have incrementally occurred through coaching innovations over the last couple of decades is often justified in these terms. However, on no rational basis could you say that a fast, attacking, free-flowing game without an offside rule as it had developed up to the mid-to-late 1990s has gotten any better since. Apparently, full-forwards kicking 50-odd goals in 22 games or half-time scores that resemble a soccer match is evidence of 'evolution'.

I'd say T20 has promoted an approach to cricket where the advantage is weighed so heavily in favour of the batsman (e.g. permitting reverse/switch hitting, which I think is bullshit) that I don't know why you'd ever aspire to be a bowler in that format. Footy, of course, has gone in the opposite direction, favoring defense over attack.

Cricket is dying in the community, kids numbers are down, senior numbers are down, the standard is far inferior to what it once was, the game needed to evolve to attract a new audience and new participation levels, about the only facet that has not gone south is the participation levels of women/girls, pretty much same as football.

Looking at the B Grade district comp it looks as though I'd still go alright, 20+ years ago there were bowlers with genuine pace getting around in the C Grade and competition for spots were difficult, now it's a far cry from what it used to be.

As for community cricket, the PDCA for instance has fallen tenfold, Grade 1 is still a decent standard but seeing some of the names getting around in
Grade 2 is concerning, a lot of these guys are my age and were Grade 5 players at best 10 years ago, 15 years ago Grade 5 and 6 were very competitive and made up of mostly B Grade teams.

People don't have the time nowadays to spend 80 overs on an oval, the quick game is attractive to watch for the non-traditional cricket enthusiast, it is exciting, the game has come a long way and the test match still has it's place in the game, 15 years ago no one would've thought of diving over the line to tap the ball back to a team mate for him to catch.

Everything is sanitized now, football, cricket, pretty much life in general.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:06 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Cricket is dying in the community, kids numbers are down, senior numbers are down, the standard is far inferior to what it once was, the game needed to evolve to attract a new audience and new participation levels, about the only facet that has not gone south is the participation levels of women/girls, pretty much same as football.

Looking at the B Grade district comp it looks as though I'd still go alright, 20+ years ago there were bowlers with genuine pace getting around in the C Grade and competition for spots were difficult, now it's a far cry from what it used to be.

As for community cricket, the PDCA for instance has fallen tenfold, Grade 1 is still a decent standard but seeing some of the names getting around in
Grade 2 is concerning, a lot of these guys are my age and were Grade 5 players at best 10 years ago, 15 years ago Grade 5 and 6 were very competitive and made up of mostly B Grade teams.

People don't have the time nowadays to spend 80 overs on an oval, the quick game is attractive to watch for the non-traditional cricket enthusiast, it is exciting, the game has come a long way and the test match still has it's place in the game, 15 years ago no one would've thought of diving over the line to tap the ball back to a team mate for him to catch.

Precisely. Women's and girls cricket is still growing or sustaining though as the formats are shorter too and designed to allow inclusive and participation. Couple hours on a Sunday or Monday is easy for community cricketers of the female persuasion.

PDCA is very average. Grade 2 these days would be like Grade 5 of 10yrs ago... partly yes because cricket is dying, but a lot can be said for clubs who have $$ enticing the better players elsewhere.

Cricket will probably end up being a complete T20 competition in the future, played for 3hrs in the twilight of a Saturday afternoon or evening.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Cricket is dying in the community, kids numbers are down, senior numbers are down, the standard is far inferior to what it once was, the game needed to evolve to attract a new audience and new participation levels, about the only facet that has not gone south is the participation levels of women/girls, pretty much same as football.

Yeah standard is rubbish all over the state and not getting any better.

In the last 5 years I have found myself playing in 3 different competitions (PDCA, Stanley & Northern Areas) and the standard has dropped so much its not funny. My last year in div 2 PDCA as a 34 year old I averaged 55 with the bat, I was lucky to hit 55 runs in the whole season 15 years ago. Every team had minimum 2 genuine quicks and at least one gun medium pace bowler.

The country cricket comps I have played in the last few years are detoriating at knots. Each team has 1-2 absolute jet 35-40 year olds who played much higher level cricket and then a few consistent 30-35 year olds. In my three years I have probably seen less than 5 bats under the age of 21 who I believe could even get close to making it in a d grade district side.

Towns like Clare can barely fill a team and are forfeiting 2 matches a season. Northern Areas comp is struggling as well. Barely any team has 11 players ready to go on a Thursday night and most of the other teams are filling spots 10 & 11 with 10 and 11 year old kids just so their town still has a team.

All games are one dayers on massive ovals so kids 15-17 generally struggle as they simply don't have the strength to hit boundaries and don't have the time to build a really good score finding 1's & 2's, especially once you cut a couple of their strengths off. No wonder so many kids drop out up here when hitting a score of 30 is considered a highlight.

I'm not sure how cricket solves their issues. One of the big issues we face with cricket up here in the north is the rise of paid country footballers. Most clubs have started their pre seasons already and are training twice a week. Between footy training being compulsory because they are paid, work commitments from harvest, cricket comes in about tenth of the priority list. It's also not uncommon to hear players not wanting to play cricket because they give so much back to the footy clubs these days in winter.

I feel for cricket to grow we really need that divide in seasons but how could you ever convince football clubs on this.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Bedge » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:34 pm

whufc wrote:I feel for cricket to grow we really need that divide in seasons but how could you ever convince football clubs on this.

Yes.

Smaller divisions (both footy and cricket), create reduced minor round length, and have a decent gap before/after each season.

Finish cricket in late Feb, start footy in late April.. have footy wrapped up by Mid August, start cricket again mid Oct.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:35 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:I feel for cricket to grow we really need that divide in seasons but how could you ever convince football clubs on this.

Yes.

Smaller divisions (both footy and cricket), create reduced minor round length, and have a decent gap before/after each season.

Finish cricket in late Feb, start footy in late April.. have footy wrapped up by Mid August, start cricket again mid Oct.

I think the structure is easy enough to come up with but how could you ever govern such a rule/guidline etc.
whufc
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:39 pm

Good Post Boon.

Yep the game has changed, some of it for the better (fielding as an example) and scoring intent. Pitches and smaller grounds play their part here also.

Watched my lads 4th grade game (kid makes a ton and can't get a promotion - another story though) and the standard was pretty poor to be honest.

Prospect had a few sub-continental types in their line up, nothing wrong with that, and two blokes who made a few runs had a bit of talent. And yep they were ramping, and reverse sweeping. Not from the get go..... but they were trying the shots they see on TV....we are talking about a bloke who made 40, and another who made 60.... not really huge scores are they.

Given that they then lost 9/30 tells you all you need to know about how the standard fell away.

Interestingly our lads made the runs 3 down (Junior running himself out, his own fault) in about 28 overs, without 1 ramp, reverse sweep etc, just normal sensible batting. There was enough trash on offer, that traditional cricket shots were all that was required.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:14 pm

From the educated posts above (I've been out of grass roots cricket for around 10 years) is it fair to say :

The basics are no longer as sound across the board and as such the standard in general has dropped particularly in the younger players?

Exactly what we grumpy old bastards feared would happen years ago.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:26 pm

Booney wrote:The basics are no longer as sound across the board and as such the standard in general has dropped particularly in the younger players?

Yes, but not all of the decline is as a result of T20.

Society as a whole has moved away from what it took to be a good cricketer when we were growing up vs the kids of today.

A 3 hour movie is now a 7 second instagram reel or snapchat.
A 5,000 word essay is now a 4 minute oral presentation.

when kids used to be dedicated, train hard and wait for their turn, now they just spit the chewy and change clubs on the promise of A-grade games.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:40 pm

Trader wrote:
Booney wrote:The basics are no longer as sound across the board and as such the standard in general has dropped particularly in the younger players?

Yes, but not all of the decline is as a result of T20.

Society as a whole has moved away from what it took to be a good cricketer when we were growing up vs the kids of today.

A 3 hour movie is now a 7 second instagram reel or snapchat.
A 5,000 word essay is now a 4 minute oral presentation.

when kids used to be dedicated, train hard and wait for their turn, now they just spit the chewy and change clubs on the promise of A-grade games.

Yep, never missed a training all year as a 9 year old trying out for an under 14 team, rode my bike half an hour each way too with my cricket bag on my back, finally got a game in the last round and had to open, only because it was against the top team and everyone was too scared to face the demon attack, didn't get a participation trophy either, there was only 4 of them on offer and my one game wasn't gonna cut it.

Now mummy complains on the club Facebook page if Little Johnny batted at 7 and didn't get a bowl, regardless of how quick they bowled the opposition out.

Coaching juniors is a bloody hard gig, you lose games because you're giving everyone a fair go but then get criticized for losing games you could've won, I'd bat my own lad down the bottom and all the parents would be telling me to elevate him when the game was slipping away yet they'd sook like hell if I did in front of their kid so I didn't bother.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:41 pm

Trader wrote:A 3 hour movie is now a 7 second instagram reel or snapchat.

Just as an aside, movies etc are an interesting analogy that IMO buck the short attention span trend in that feature-length films are now being replaced by Netflix series comprising multiple seasons and episodes.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:55 pm

Magellan wrote:
Trader wrote:A 3 hour movie is now a 7 second instagram reel or snapchat.

Just as an aside, movies etc are an interesting analogy that IMO buck the short attention span trend in that feature-length films are now being replaced by Netflix series comprising multiple seasons and episodes.

Yes and no.
Don't forget these series are packaged up into 42 minute episodes complete with a 'previously on ....' recap at the start of each episode so that you can stop and start at your leisure throughout the entire series.

And in some ways Netflix is all about the "I want it now" generation vs people waiting for 8:30 on a Thursday night to see the next episode of a 13 week season.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:00 pm

Whilst somewhat of an analogy ( Netflix series discussion ) it's not the point.

Just because people have the desire to watch 12 x 40 minute episodes ahead of a 90 minutes feature film doesn't mean people have lost the ability to make the 90 minute feature. The basics, the fundamentals, are still there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:02 pm

Booney wrote:From the educated posts above (I've been out of grass roots cricket for around 10 years) is it fair to say :

The basics are no longer as sound across the board and as such the standard in general has dropped particularly in the younger players?

Up here in the mid north it’s a combination any decent junior is aligned to Woodville District Club and you would want to be good to make the effort. Keeping in mind cricket isn’t always popular with parents who don’t like the game and making the 2 hour trek to sit in 35 degree heat for 6 hours to watch your child bat for 3 balls isn’t what dreams are made of.

Alot of kids up here have decent techniques both with bat and ball but many struggle to cope with the massive ovals once they reach seniors and throw in the fact it’s all one dayers doesn’t help. This leads to techniques declining over times. It also very easy to slip into the ultra relaxed country cricket atmosphere which is not a breeding ground for players looking to build grinding innings. I have really struggled with this in my time in country cricket

Nearly all comps up here are struggling for a b grade, so it’s hard for juniors to walk into a grade cricket and have success immediately. Hard to convince 16,17 years olds to keep showing up and failing whilst mates are out enjoying their parents beach and river houses.
whufc
Coach

Postby Trader » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:20 pm

Booney wrote:Whilst somewhat of an analogy ( Netflix series discussion ) it's not the point.

Just because people have the desire to watch 12 x 40 minute episodes ahead of a 90 minutes feature film doesn't mean people have lost the ability to make the 90 minute feature. The basics, the fundamentals, are still there.

You are looking at the entertainer who makes netflix or a movie and saying the skills are still there, and that's correct.
You are then entertainer who is the test cricketer and saying the skills aren't there, and therefore the analogy breaks down.

However the point I was making with the Netflix analogy was that society wants instant gratification. We binge watch a series to get the answer, rather than waiting the 13 weeks allowing a season to play out.
This desire for results now translates to our junior cricketers. They aren't willing to grind out an innings, and would rather try and hit the third ball they face over the top of cover. There is no patience in society anymore.

Another analogy might be afterpay. Historically you'd work hard, save up your money and after 3 months you'd be able to buy that thing you desperately wanted. Now days, I just pull out my iphone, buy it on the spot and pay for it in 8 weeks time.
Trader
Assistant Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket