Grumpy old man post

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Grumpy old man post

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:08 pm

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:Sports evolve, they always have and always will but what will cricket of the future, at all levels, look like?

To make an aligned yet non-cricketing point (or rant), the 'evolution' of sport is a phrase too easily thrown around to justify changes or reasons to resist addressing things that require reform. The word 'evolution' suggest a degree of refinement or improvement, like in Darwin's theory.

The pro-defensive changes in AFL footy (and Aussie rules, in general) that have incrementally occurred through coaching innovations over the last couple of decades is often justified in these terms. However, on no rational basis could you say that a fast, attacking, free-flowing game without an offside rule as it had developed up to the mid-to-late 1990s has gotten any better since. Apparently, full-forwards kicking 50-odd goals in 22 games or half-time scores that resemble a soccer match is evidence of 'evolution'.

I'd say T20 has promoted an approach to cricket where the advantage is weighed so heavily in favour of the batsman (e.g. permitting reverse/switch hitting, which I think is bullshit) that I don't know why you'd ever aspire to be a bowler in that format. Footy, of course, has gone in the opposite direction, favoring defense over attack.

Cricket is dying in the community, kids numbers are down, senior numbers are down, the standard is far inferior to what it once was, the game needed to evolve to attract a new audience and new participation levels, about the only facet that has not gone south is the participation levels of women/girls, pretty much same as football.

Looking at the B Grade district comp it looks as though I'd still go alright, 20+ years ago there were bowlers with genuine pace getting around in the C Grade and competition for spots were difficult, now it's a far cry from what it used to be.

As for community cricket, the PDCA for instance has fallen tenfold, Grade 1 is still a decent standard but seeing some of the names getting around in
Grade 2 is concerning, a lot of these guys are my age and were Grade 5 players at best 10 years ago, 15 years ago Grade 5 and 6 were very competitive and made up of mostly B Grade teams.

People don't have the time nowadays to spend 80 overs on an oval, the quick game is attractive to watch for the non-traditional cricket enthusiast, it is exciting, the game has come a long way and the test match still has it's place in the game, 15 years ago no one would've thought of diving over the line to tap the ball back to a team mate for him to catch.

Everything is sanitized now, football, cricket, pretty much life in general.

Yeah standard is rubbish all over the state and not getting any better.

In the last 5 years I have found myself playing in 3 different competitions (PDCA, Stanley & Northern Areas) and the standard has dropped so much its not funny. My last year in div 2 PDCA as a 34 year old I averaged 55 with the bat, I was lucky to hit 55 runs in the whole season 15 years ago. Every team had minimum 2 genuine quicks and at least one gun medium pace bowler.

The country cricket comps I have played in the last few years are detoriating at knots. Each team has 1-2 absolute jet 35-40 year olds who played much higher level cricket and then a few consistent 30-35 year olds. In my three years I have probably seen less than 5 bats under the age of 21 who I believe could even get close to making it in a d grade district side.

Towns like Clare can barely fill a team and are forfeiting 2 matches a season. Northern Areas comp is struggling as well. Barely any team has 11 players ready to go on a Thursday night and most of the other teams are filling spots 10 & 11 with 10 and 11 year old kids just so their town still has a team.

All games are one dayers on massive ovals so kids 15-17 generally struggle as they simply don't have the strength to hit boundaries and don't have the time to build a really good score finding 1's & 2's, especially once you cut a couple of their strengths off. No wonder so many kids drop out up here when hitting a score of 30 is considered a highlight.

I'm not sure how cricket solves their issues. One of the big issues we face with cricket up here in the north is the rise of paid country footballers. Most clubs have started their pre seasons already and are training twice a week. Between footy training being compulsory because they are paid, work commitments from harvest, cricket comes in about tenth of the priority list. It's also not uncommon to hear players not wanting to play cricket because they give so much back to the footy clubs these days in winter.

I feel for cricket to grow we really need that divide in seasons but how could you ever convince football clubs on this.

Agree that footy has encroached at this level. Two weekends between seasons it's not much of a break, usually a time for weddings and three-day-hangovers, doesn't leave much time to recharge and weigh you down after a few seasons, particularly in the country where you usually have volunteer duties as well as playing. That Div 2 teams in the Hills start training by now is just ridiculous.

When cricket was at it's peak in the early 2000's there, I felt CA were arrogantly thinking everything was going along swimmingly and didn't invest much into grassroots, ie country and lower suburban cricket, whereas the AFL have done it better.

Our parents generation were more likely to have manual jobs, especially if you were a farmer, so running around on 30-35+ degree day was nothing, a welcome diversion. Kids these days, driven by our generation, can't do anything without airconditioning, can't be slightly uncomfortable.

From the little I've seen of the Big-Bash this year, the standard looks like utter tripe. Seriously, I reckon NSW and Vic Grade cricket in the 80's and 90's, when the Test players would still occasionally turn out, would be better, yet this is on our TV's every night.

The world would also do better to shut the shops after midday on the weekends, realise money and GDP isn't everything and economic growth is just a model - footy, cricket, other sports, church groups, arts, volunteers, etc etc would all benefit.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:27 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
From the little I've seen of the Big-Bash this year, the standard looks like utter tripe. Seriously, I reckon NSW and Vic Grade cricket in the 80's and 90's, when the Test players would still occasionally turn out, would be better, yet this is on our TV's every night.

Your point was proven last night, I watched Russell Coight instead, I then switched over to watch the arse end of the BBL but fell asleep at the wheel.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:46 am

I watched bit on Sunday when I had little to do, Rashid Khan came to the crease with Adelaide in desperate trouble. He played, I think they called it, a "helicopter" shot the first ball he faced, skied it to the 'keeper and walked back off. He then practiced the shot as he walked in to take his pads off.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:52 am

Booney wrote:I watched bit on Sunday when I had little to do, Rashid Khan came to the crease with Adelaide in desperate trouble. He played, I think they called it, a "helicopter" shot the first ball he faced, skied it to the 'keeper and walked back off. He then practiced the shot as he walked in to take his pads off.

I'll always watch the Stinkers if they're on, I used to take the kids to all their games and had season tickets, I only go when I score the work box now.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:52 pm

Likewise my rant is about cricket. But mine is regarding the starting day of the test match. Put it on a Saturday for heaven's sake. Thursday's don't work and it left us with a Sunday without cricket. I like being able to watch the first ball of the game and if it's mid week, I can't do it.

And the BBL.... the less said the better.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby RB » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:34 pm

I think Friday works best for the first day.

Adelaide tests always used to start on the Friday.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:44 pm

RB wrote:I think Friday works best for the first day.

Adelaide tests always used to start on the Friday.

Yeah, although half our factory used to put in for leave for day 1.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:42 am

Kids don't play ramps. What a myth. Every kid in every game of cricket is absolutely shit-scared of getting out so blocks the absolute living suitcase out of the ball

Standard of cricket has dropped because men can't work and/or have a family anymore plus play cricket without question. Expectations have changed.

Lots of kids grow up on phones and tablets with less active lifestyles than previously so understandably their skills and athleticism are generally rubbish.

The kids who are reasonable athletes don't have the Cricket: Summer, Football: Winter list of options we did. Their list is much longer.

But yeah Twenty20 exists so that must be the problem
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:35 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Kids don't play ramps. What a myth. Every kid in every game of cricket is absolutely shit-scared of getting out so blocks the absolute living suitcase out of the ball

Standard of cricket has dropped because men can't work and/or have a family anymore plus play cricket without question. Expectations have changed.

Lots of kids grow up on phones and tablets with less active lifestyles than previously so understandably their skills and athleticism are generally rubbish.

The kids who are reasonable athletes don't have the Cricket: Summer, Football: Winter list of options we did. Their list is much longer.

That's not true from the 4 years I've been involved with my son's cricket. We're a Div1 junior team and our kids have real difficulty in blocking. Taking a cross bat swipe seems to be common place and only hours of teaching them enables them to start blocking. However, I don't think that's its due to them watching T20, it's just a natural instinct to swipe across the ball to cow corner.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:01 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Kids don't play ramps. What a myth. Every kid in every game of cricket is absolutely shit-scared of getting out so blocks the absolute living suitcase out of the ball

That's not true from the 4 years I've been involved with my son's cricket. We're a Div1 junior team and our kids have real difficulty in blocking. Taking a cross bat swipe seems to be common place and only hours of teaching them enables them to start blocking. However, I don't think that's its due to them watching T20, it's just a natural instinct to swipe across the ball to cow corner.

What age group?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:17 am

Ive picked up 3 wickets this year in senior cricket from blokes trying to 'ramp' me as a spinner. All 3 batsment were between the ages of 16-19.

As a bowler, long live the ramp at ammo level coz im yet to see anyone play it successfully.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby heater31 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:19 am

whufc wrote:Ive picked up 3 wickets this year in senior cricket from blokes trying to 'ramp' me as a spinner. All 3 batsment were between the ages of 16-19.

As a bowler, long live the ramp at ammo level coz im yet to see anyone play it successfully.
Hope you gave them an appropriate send off!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 am

whufc wrote:Ive picked up 3 wickets this year in senior cricket from blokes trying to 'ramp' me as a spinner. All 3 batsment were between the ages of 16-19.

Ramping a spinner LOL.

My son's coach dared him to do a reverse sweep off the opener for $20 a couple of years back, he tried it to bring up his half century, he ate subway on the way home.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:33 am

heater31 wrote:

Hope you gave them an appropriate send off!

Absolutely, especially one in particular which took his off stump out the ground (obviously the ground was dry so stumps not in very hard LOL)
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:34 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Ramping a spinner LOL.

My son's coach dared him to do a reverse sweep off the opener for $20 a couple of years back, he tried it to bring up his half century, he ate subway on the way home.

yet to be reversed swept other than in the nets at training.
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:00 am

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Ramping a spinner LOL.

I ripped into him for being a smartarse and then he told me why, I then shut up.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:The kids who are reasonable athletes don't have the Cricket: Summer, Football: Winter list of options we did. Their list is much longer.

This is pretty much the answer, not any of the unsubstantiated pop psychology that infers kids these days collectively have less motivation than previous generations.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:41 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

What age group?

12s
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:00 am

gadj1976 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
What age group?

12s

Pretty standard for that age group, they just want to score and they get away with it in the school yard, their games are probably condensed too in that age group, once they start playing 40+ over games they can learn to be a little more patient and build an innings.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby tigerpie » Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:37 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Ramping a spinner LOL.

I ripped into him for being a smartarse and then he told me why, I then shut up.

Wtf is the coach thinking?
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket