Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:32 am

Armchair expert wrote:
whufc wrote:Now NZ isn’t coming will we get the Australia A games back haha

I’m sure Foxtel or whoever won’t want to miss out on having some firm if games and CA wont want to give the money back

Sounds good

Warner ------------------------------------> Phillipe
Finch ---------------------------------------> McDermott
Labushagne -----------------------------> M Marsh
Smith --------------------------------------> Head
Maxwell ------------------------------------> Henriques
Stoinis --------------------------------------> Christian
Wade ----------------------------------------> Carey
Cummins -------------------------------- Neser
Starc ----------------------------------------> Behrendorfff
Zampa ---------------------------------> Agar
Hazlewood ---------------------------> Richardson

Others to pick from Inglis, Tye, Boland, Steketee, Cartwright, Turner

Think they will have to consider something like this, even if its just "trial" games, with the T20 WC coming up later in the year
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby stan » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:49 am

whufc wrote:
stan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
locky801 wrote:
Bar was supposed to have shut at 11.00pm, someone may have further questions to answer

Hmmm, maybe it did, maybe that's why they were still on the beer, could've been from the mini bar, could've had a box in someone's room? It may have been an outside area that didn't require a licence.

I just think it's piss poor that we got to see it, I think Thorpe is a dickhead, all the players seemed to be in reasonable nick for an all-nighter and any sort of laughter would've echoed in that enclosed area.

I did enjoy the footage of the Aussies singing "Sweet Caroline" with the Barmy Army, how good would it have been to be there?
Absolute garbage that this is even a thing.

Obviously at some point I think they would have been carrying on a bit more.....my experience is the police don't generally get called unless there is some sort of disturbance. You would have thought at some point the hotel staff have asked them to either be quieter or to finish up and they have refused to do so which is why the police are in attendance. Would be poor form if the hotel called the police first up and never spoke to the guys first.

In saying that it all looks extremely harmless and worse case scenario they were keeping a few patrons awake.....hardly end of world stuff especially given what type of behaviour we have seen previously from sports stars.

I'm guessing the only reason Thorpe could have posted the footage is that he thought the amount of police there was massive overkill (which I tend to agree with looking at the footage we see) and wanted to let everyone know how 'over the top' they were.

I'm so glad most of my partying was done in the era before mobile phones...…..nothing but trouble on a night out even when your not really causing any trouble.
Looks extremely harmless......uh oh I guess the Australian and English cricket team can now expect a few open letters from the Herald Sun, Susie O'Brien has been a bit bored lately since she finished up complaining about Dane Swan and Jimmy Bartel.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:10 am

Agree....I think there a multitude of issues both historic and structural.

Obviously cricket is a pretty expensive sport to play...…cricket gear isn't cheap and as a kid your going to grow out of the equipment you first start with. I think to a point it makes the sport a lot less attractive to the low socio economic areas. In recent times though we have started to see initiatives such as free fees etc.

At a guess as well as I would think that the quality of sports training is much higher at the private school level. I mean I didn't go to Prince Alfred but I'm sure it couldn't have been any worse than Craigmore High.....we didn't even have matting for our cricket nets so just bowled on the concrete.

I/ and my junior cricket friends felt a real gap during our time at the Northern Jets. It was when the merger first happened, back then we played for Eastern Park and had won three junior premierships in a row around the ages of 12-14. We beat South Gawler with Mark Cosgrove and Goofy Mitchell and Gawler Central with Brad Symes and Dylan Pfitzner. All of them went on to do pretty well at different levels at the Jets. Not one of our blokes from Eastern Park could make the Jets side no matter how many runs/wickets we took. There definitely felt a divide between the Barossa clubs and the suburban clubs from my time at the Jets especially the beginning of the merger. For one reason or another I do felt the Barossa clubs were much better at advocating for their players where when I was at EP it was really just up to us to go out there and have a crack.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Trader » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:46 am

whufc wrote:
stan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
locky801 wrote:
Bar was supposed to have shut at 11.00pm, someone may have further questions to answer

Hmmm, maybe it did, maybe that's why they were still on the beer, could've been from the mini bar, could've had a box in someone's room? It may have been an outside area that didn't require a licence.

I just think it's piss poor that we got to see it, I think Thorpe is a dickhead, all the players seemed to be in reasonable nick for an all-nighter and any sort of laughter would've echoed in that enclosed area.

I did enjoy the footage of the Aussies singing "Sweet Caroline" with the Barmy Army, how good would it have been to be there?
Absolute garbage that this is even a thing.

Obviously at some point I think they would have been carrying on a bit more.....my experience is the police don't generally get called unless there is some sort of disturbance. You would have thought at some point the hotel staff have asked them to either be quieter or to finish up and they have refused to do so which is why the police are in attendance. Would be poor form if the hotel called the police first up and never spoke to the guys first.

In saying that it all looks extremely harmless and worse case scenario they were keeping a few patrons awake.....hardly end of world stuff especially given what type of behaviour we have seen previously from sports stars.

I'm guessing the only reason Thorpe could have posted the footage is that he thought the amount of police there was massive overkill (which I tend to agree with looking at the footage we see) and wanted to let everyone know how 'over the top' they were.

I'm so glad most of my partying was done in the era before mobile phones...…..nothing but trouble on a night out even when your not really causing any trouble.

There is a suggestion Thorpe was smoking a cigar inside, that's when the call was made to get the cops along.
By the time the cops arrived, they had moved outside, and Thorpe pulled his phone out to try and show they weren't doing anything wrong.

He tried to get on the front foot after being a goose smoking inside, and instead of compiling evidence to protect himself, he's thrown himself under the bus.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:50 am

He’s a POM anyway, who cares! ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:27 pm

Was he nicknamed the GOAT for greatest (off spinner) of all time or was it an evolution from Nice Gary (after Gary Lyon) to Gary the Goat (after the instagram goat of the same name)
I remember posting a few years back that referring to someone as the Goat (greatest of all time style) was getting overused[/quote]
Greatest Offie of all time.[/quote]

R Ashwin, 430 wickets @24 batting @27 84 tests Lyon not close.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:33 pm

shoe boy wrote:Was he nicknamed the GOAT for greatest (off spinner) of all time or was it an evolution from Nice Gary (after Gary Lyon) to Gary the Goat (after the instagram goat of the same name)
I remember posting a few years back that referring to someone as the Goat (greatest of all time style) was getting overused

Greatest Offie of all time.[/quote]

R Ashwin, 430 wickets @24 batting @27 84 tests Lyon not close.[/quote]

Agree.
D Vettori(left handed I know) was a better bowler as well than what Lyon is
Harbhajan Singh was better as well
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:49 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Agree.

You've got to be kidding.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:59 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Agree.

Nope.
I don’t rate Lyon but the 2 I mentioned were better than average I thought
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:24 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Nope.

I was just pulling your horns mate, I agree.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:25 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Nope.

I was just pulling your horns mate, I agree.

You can pull my horn anytime!
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:40 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
You can pull my horn anytime!

Again?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:47 pm

NZ isn't coming over but the T20 series against Sri Lanka is still happening at this stage.
The first match (February 11th) and second match of the five match series is at the SCG.
Originally the forth match was ment to be here at the Adelaide Oval but that has been changed to the MCG now and the fifth match is at the MCG aswell.
The third is at Manuka Oval.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/au ... 83805210b9
CA said the second, third and fourth T20Is have been relocated from Queensland and Adelaide to minimise biosecurity risks by reducing travel across the country.

“CA will continue to prioritise the health and safety of all players, match officials, staff, fans, broadcasters and the wider community as we navigate the challenges presented by Covid-19,” CA chief executive Nick Hockley said.

“We know that fans in South Australia and Queensland will be disappointed to miss out on these matches and we remain committed to bringing international cricket to all states and territories across the country as safely as possible.

“We thank Sri Lanka Cricket for working closely with us to make the series possible and look forward to five entertaining matches.”.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10292 times
Been liked: 1516 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Dark Knight » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:59 am

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/nine-ne ... 2022-01-23
The Nine Network confirms it has secured the Australian free-to-air broadcast rights for the next two men's World Cup events while next month's women's ODI World Cup in New Zealand will be behind a paywall

The Nine Network will again host international cricket this year with confirmation it will screen all Australia's matches at the next two men's World Cups.

But the women's ODI World Cup that begins in New Zealand in March will be exclusive to Foxtel and Kayo subscribers, with no free-to-air broadcast.

Nine has confirmed to cricket.com.au that it will broadcast every Australian men's match – and the finals – for this year's 2022 T20 World Cup to be hosted in Australia, and next year's ODI World Cup in India.

The current T20 World Cup champions, Australia will begin their defence on October 22 with a rematch of last year's final against New Zealand at the SCG. The match will be the first time the Australian men's T20 team can be seen on free-to-air television since mid-2018.

Nine lost the rights to show the Australian summer of cricket in April 2018 when Foxtel and Seven jointly signed a A$1.182 billion deal with Cricket Australia, which is currently in the fourth of its six-year term.

Nine and Foxtel have been in a separate joint venture arrangement to share broadcast rights for International Cricket Council events since 2008.

It sees Foxtel sub-licence the Australian broadcast rights from the ICC's global broadcast rights partner, India's Star Sports, and then on-sells to Nine certain matches to meet the conditions of Australia's anti-siphoning legislation.

Cricket Australia has no input into the broadcast rights dealings for ICC events.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:42 am

West Indies , after losing to Ireland, smash England in a T20
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby tigerpie » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:44 pm

cracka wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
cracka wrote:
MW wrote:Unpopular opinion, but I cannot stand Nathan Lyon. Sure his wickets stand up, but think he is a very overrated bowler, and acts like a tool when he shouldn't be.

Was he nicknamed the GOAT for greatest (off spinner) of all time or was it an evolution from Nice Gary (after Gary Lyon) to Gary the Goat (after the instagram goat of the same name)
I remember posting a few years back that referring to someone as the Goat (greatest of all time style) was getting overused

Greatest Offie of all time.

As controversial as he was, I would have thought Murali has him covered in that spot

Bullshit....he chucked it!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 497 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Feb 04, 2022 7:18 am

England cricket coach Chris Silverwood has been sacked just a day after Englands Director of Mens Cricket Ashley Giles was let go.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/engl ... er-1299769
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:29 pm

Any JL predictions?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:31 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Any JL predictions?

I reckon he’ll take a hit to his ego and take the reduced contract he has supposedly been offered.
Blewett mentioned he’s on about a mill a year.

Is there a team sport that actually requires a coach less than cricket?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:33 pm

Coach England
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4206 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket