Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed May 19, 2021 9:21 pm

The schedule for Australia's International 20/21 summer of Cricket has been released today-

Only Test Match v Afghanistan at the Blundstone Arena, November 27th- December 1st.

The Ashes-
First Test at the Gabba, December 8th- 12th
Second Test at the Adelaide Oval, December 16th- 20th
Third Test at the MCG, December 26th- 30th
Forth Test at the SCG, January 5th- 9th
Fifth Test at Perth Stadium, January 14th- 18th

ODI and T20I series v New Zealand-
First ODI at Perth Stadium, January 30th
Second ODI at Blundstone Arena, February 2nd
Third ODI at the SCG, February 5th
Only T20 at Manuka Oval, February 8th

T20I Series v Sri Lanka-
First match at the SCG, February 11th
Second match at the Gabba, February 13th
Third match at Metricon Stadium, February 15th
Forth match at Adelaide Oval, February 18th
Fifth match at the MCG, February 20th

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/2021-20 ... 2021-05-19
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30911
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7665 times
Been liked: 1149 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby RB » Wed May 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Generous to give SE Queensland two Twenty20s.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
User avatar
RB
Assistant Coach
 
Posts: 4612
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm
Has liked: 543 times
Been liked: 784 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 20, 2021 9:28 am

Gee times have changed, we have 4 international sides coming here, one for a one off test, another for a bunch of meaningless T20 games that we'll smash them with a second tier side and think we are ready to beat an invitation team from Mars.

How good would it be to have the Ashes series then invite the shaggers over from across the ditch and have a good ole WSC comp in the 80's attire?

Cricket in the 80's and 90's was just a different game, we were blessed, full sized ovals, 250 being a competitive total, one dayers were alive and well, when the car was awarded to the Player of the Year at the end of the WSC final it left you a bit empty as it spelt the end of summer, the only thing left was the Shield Final.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46560
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3754 times
Been liked: 6573 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby amber_fluid » Thu May 20, 2021 10:58 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Gee times have changed, we have 4 international sides coming here, one for a one off test, another for a bunch of meaningless T20 games that we'll smash them with a second tier side and think we are ready to beat an invitation team from Mars.

How good would it be to have the Ashes series then invite the shaggers over from across the ditch and have a good ole WSC comp in the 80's attire?

Cricket in the 80's and 90's was just a different game, we were blessed, full sized ovals, 250 being a competitive total, one dayers were alive and well, when the car was awarded to the Player of the Year at the end of the WSC final it left you a bit empty as it spelt the end of summer, the only thing left was the Shield Final.


Spot on!!
And Port Adelaide were the real Magpies churning out premiership after premiership.
Ahh how I miss those days!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
User avatar
amber_fluid
Coach
 
 
Posts: 10630
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am
Has liked: 1864 times
Been liked: 2036 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby whufc » Thu May 20, 2021 2:23 pm

I understand why it will never ever happen again but i seriously miss the tri series especially when it was 3 decent sides.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 23762
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4308 times
Been liked: 1911 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 20, 2021 2:38 pm

whufc wrote:I understand why it will never ever happen again but i seriously miss the tri series especially when it was 3 decent sides.

Yerp, you'd think the Poms and Shaggers would still draw a fair crowd though.

It could work when the Indians are here too, just not the Windies anymore unfortunately, or anyone else below their standard.

You couldn't wait for the news to finish to see if we got off to a flyer, especially when Gilly and Mark Waugh started opening the bat.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46560
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3754 times
Been liked: 6573 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:32 am

If anyone is bored and needs an assignment, would you like to post your teams/14 man squads of how you'd line up Australia across the 3 different formats?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46560
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3754 times
Been liked: 6573 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:35 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:If anyone is bored and needs an assignment, would you like to post your teams/14 man squads of how you'd line up Australia across the 3 different formats?
I'll have a go a bit later LM and I'll go with just the 11 in each of the 3 formats. (And let's just say for the exercise every player is fit and available?)
Test team is pretty straightforward off the top of my head, only guy I'd find hard to place is Starc. I'd have in the ODI team and therefore not in the test team.
Maybe Maxwell too in regards to the ODI and T20 team.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30911
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7665 times
Been liked: 1149 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:50 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:If anyone is bored and needs an assignment, would you like to post your teams/14 man squads of how you'd line up Australia across the 3 different formats?
I'll have a go a bit later LM and I'll go with just the 11 in each of the 3 formats. (And let's just say for the exercise every player is fit and available?)
Test team is pretty straightforward off the top of my head, only guy I'd find hard to place is Starc. I'd have in the ODI team and therefore not in the test team.
Maybe Maxwell too in regards to the ODI and T20 team.

Yeah mate.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46560
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3754 times
Been liked: 6573 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:45 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:If anyone is bored and needs an assignment, would you like to post your teams/14 man squads of how you'd line up Australia across the 3 different formats?
I'll have a go a bit later LM and I'll go with just the 11 in each of the 3 formats. (And let's just say for the exercise every player is fit and available?)
Test team is pretty straightforward off the top of my head, only guy I'd find hard to place is Starc. I'd have in the ODI team and therefore not in the test team.
Maybe Maxwell too in regards to the ODI and T20 team.

Yeah mate.

With these 3 seperate teams I've considered every domestic cricketer in Australia (with a state contract for the test and ODI team) as available and gone with a combination of what I'd like to see happen, which format I think certain players would be suited to and what I think the Australian selectors would go with when picking the teams. I've tired to look into stats (batting record/average in each position) to help pick my specific batting orders and I've also gone with guys that already made their debut for Australia in any format. The bowlers were relatively easy to pick in each format, the batsmen were harder to pick and place in the white ball teams.

Test 11-
Pucovski
Warner
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Paine (C & wk)
Pattinson
Cummins
Lyon
Hazlewood

ODI 11-
Finch (C)
Khawaja
S. Marsh
Handscomb
Carey (wk)
M. Marsh
Maxwell
Neser
Starc
Zampa
J. Richardson

T20I 11-
Wade (C & wk)
Short
Henriques
McDermott
Stoinis
Christian
A. Agar
K. Richardson
Behrendorff
Swepson
Tye
Last edited by The Dark Knight on Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30911
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7665 times
Been liked: 1149 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Trader » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:05 pm

I'd look at Turner over Christian, but have no real justification for it, just feels like he's better.

Three good looking sides given you've kept them totally independent.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
User avatar
Trader
Veteran
 
Posts: 3756
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 1:19 pm
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 656 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:02 pm

Trader wrote:I'd look at Turner over Christian, but have no real justification for it, just feels like he's better.

Three good looking sides given you've kept them totally independent.

I initially had Turner in my original T20 side at 4/5 but went with McDermott over him because McDermott has the better T20/Big Bash record same as picking Christian over Turner (and also Daniel Sams for that matter as the Number 6/Allrounder).

I went with the eleven in each format which I think are the best right now/what they would be if they were to be played right now. For example that's why I've put Khawaja, Shaun Marsh and Handscomb in my ODI team as their records are very good and better than the players that I compared them with that could also play in those positions.
Eventually guys like Sams could become a better option than Christian, Phillipee over Wade, Carey over Paine in the test team just to name a few.

I didn't consider James Faulkner and Nathan Coulter-Nile as they didn't hold state contracts in the 20/21 season and I don't see Chris Lynn being picked for Australia ever again.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30911
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7665 times
Been liked: 1149 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:37 am

I think your test team picks itself apart form the Starc vs Pattinson debate, I think you'll get a more consistent performer with JP opposed to Starc who c an produce a whirlwind spell and then back it up with absolute tripe.

The other opening position is the other spot yet to be cemented, no one seems to take a full hold of it and young Will is our best fit.

I like the look of your ODI team, I'd probably opt for Smith over Handscomb or possibly Marnus, you've listed a very flexible batting line up that could see 3 or 4 padded up at the same time and there's a good mixture of left/right combinations.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see Usman representing Australia again.

Henriques is an interesting captaincy selection for T20 team, I like seeing Short in there but I have no love for Andrew Tye.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46560
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3754 times
Been liked: 6573 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:33 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I think your test team picks itself apart form the Starc vs Pattinson debate, I think you'll get a more consistent performer with JP opposed to Starc who c an produce a whirlwind spell and then back it up with absolute tripe.

The other opening position is the other spot yet to be cemented, no one seems to take a full hold of it and young Will is our best fit.

I like the look of your ODI team, I'd probably opt for Smith over Handscomb or possibly Marnus, you've listed a very flexible batting line up that could see 3 or 4 padded up at the same time and there's a good mixture of left/right combinations.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see Usman representing Australia again.

Henriques is an interesting captaincy selection for T20 team, I like seeing Short in there but I have no love for Andrew Tye.
I went with Pattinson over Starc in the test team because of the consistency factor you mentioned plus Starc is a better ODI bowler than test bowler.

I really hope Pucovski is fit and available for the Ashes and that he goes well after what he's been through and our need for a decent and consistent opener to partner Warner. If it's not Pucovski then Joe Burns or Marcus Harris are the next in line depending on their form. Harris is currently playing county cricket for Leicestershire, I don't think Burns has played cricket during the winter.

Apon looking it up I was surprised with Handscomb's ODI record compared to that of Wade, Henriques, Stoinis, Turner and McDermott. Smith or Labuschagne would definitely be picked ahead of Handscomb or the others. The ODI records of Khawaja and particularly Shaun Marsh are very good but realistically I don't see both of them playing for Australia again unless something drastic happens.

I picked Henriques as the T20 skipper because he's the Sydney Sixes skipper, I forgot Wade has captained Australia already and he's the Hurricanes captain so I'll swap the captaincy to Wade.

As for Tye whilst I've never really rated him I was tossing up between him and Sean Abbott as the third seamer in the team and his T20I record is not bad, currently has the 4th most T20 wicket for Australia so went with him. Perhaps you could go with Abbott or Sams at 7 or 8 replacing Tye and pushing Richardson, Behrendorff and Swepson down one spot.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30911
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7665 times
Been liked: 1149 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:33 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I think your test team picks itself apart form the Starc vs Pattinson debate, I think you'll get a more consistent performer with JP opposed to Starc who c an produce a whirlwind spell and then back it up with absolute tripe.

The other opening position is the other spot yet to be cemented, no one seems to take a full hold of it and young Will is our best fit.

I like the look of your ODI team, I'd probably opt for Smith over Handscomb or possibly Marnus, you've listed a very flexible batting line up that could see 3 or 4 padded up at the same time and there's a good mixture of left/right combinations.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see Usman representing Australia again.

Henriques is an interesting captaincy selection for T20 team, I like seeing Short in there but I have no love for Andrew Tye.
I went with Pattinson over Starc in the test team because of the consistency factor you mentioned plus Starc is a better ODI bowler than test bowler.

I really hope Pucovski is fit and available for the Ashes and that he goes well after what he's been through and our need for a decent and consistent opener to partner Warner. If it's not Pucovski then Joe Burns or Marcus Harris are the next in line depending on their form. Harris is currently playing county cricket for Leicestershire, I don't think Burns has played cricket during the winter.

Apon looking it up I was surprised with Handscomb's ODI record compared to that of Wade, Henriques, Stoinis, Turner and McDermott. Smith or Labuschagne would definitely be picked ahead of Handscomb or the others. The ODI records of Khawaja and particularly Shaun Marsh are very good but realistically I don't see both of them playing for Australia again unless something drastic happens.

I picked Henriques as the T20 skipper because he's the Sydney Sixes skipper, I forgot Wade has captained Australia already and he's the Hurricanes captain so I'll swap the captaincy to Wade.

As for Tye whilst I've never really rated him I was tossing up between him and Sean Abbott as the third seamer in the team and his T20I record is not bad, currently has the 4th most T20 wicket for Australia so went with him. Perhaps you could go with Abbott or Sams at 7 or 8 replacing Tye and pushing Richardson, Behrendorff and Swepson down one spot.


That's the beauty of it mate, there's no right or wrong, I'd take Moises as skipper over Wade any day, I liked him in American Pie and he seems like a good bloke, Wade comes across as a bit of a flogger and TBH I'd find it hard to find a spot for him.

I don't mind the Sean Abbott experience, I have a lot of love for him, I'd include Warner and give the keeping duties to McDermott or perhaps persevere with Phillipe for a bit longer.

Christian is a bit of an in-betweener, did he appear better than he is because our comp is lacking quality or does he have that x-factor about him.

I'm a massive Behrendorff fan.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
User avatar
Lightning McQueen
Coach
 
Posts: 46560
Joined: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 am
Location: Radiator Springs
Has liked: 3754 times
Been liked: 6573 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby am Bays » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:06 pm

Eight test montys IMO for the test side:

Warner, Labuschagne, Smith, Green, Paine, Cummins, Lyons, Hazlewood

Pukovski/Harris/ or whoever puts their hand up at the start of the season and smashes the door down with runs as the other opener
Patterson (there's a reason why he got a contract) or Head for #5 (Carey an outside chance if he fills his boots with runs - see above)
Pattinson/Starc/J Richardson for the other fast bowling slot
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 16524
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 1314 times

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:14 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I think your test team picks itself apart form the Starc vs Pattinson debate, I think you'll get a more consistent performer with JP opposed to Starc who c an produce a whirlwind spell and then back it up with absolute tripe.

The other opening position is the other spot yet to be cemented, no one seems to take a full hold of it and young Will is our best fit.

I like the look of your ODI team, I'd probably opt for Smith over Handscomb or possibly Marnus, you've listed a very flexible batting line up that could see 3 or 4 padded up at the same time and there's a good mixture of left/right combinations.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see Usman representing Australia again.

Henriques is an interesting captaincy selection for T20 team, I like seeing Short in there but I have no love for Andrew Tye.
I went with Pattinson over Starc in the test team because of the consistency factor you mentioned plus Starc is a better ODI bowler than test bowler.

I really hope Pucovski is fit and available for the Ashes and that he goes well after what he's been through and our need for a decent and consistent opener to partner Warner. If it's not Pucovski then Joe Burns or Marcus Harris are the next in line depending on their form. Harris is currently playing county cricket for Leicestershire, I don't think Burns has played cricket during the winter.

Apon looking it up I was surprised with Handscomb's ODI record compared to that of Wade, Henriques, Stoinis, Turner and McDermott. Smith or Labuschagne would definitely be picked ahead of Handscomb or the others. The ODI records of Khawaja and particularly Shaun Marsh are very good but realistically I don't see both of them playing for Australia again unless something drastic happens.

I picked Henriques as the T20 skipper because he's the Sydney Sixes skipper, I forgot Wade has captained Australia already and he's the Hurricanes captain so I'll swap the captaincy to Wade.

As for Tye whilst I've never really rated him I was tossing up between him and Sean Abbott as the third seamer in the team and his T20I record is not bad, currently has the 4th most T20 wicket for Australia so went with him. Perhaps you could go with Abbott or Sams at 7 or 8 replacing Tye and pushing Richardson, Behrendorff and Swepson down one spot.


That's the beauty of it mate, there's no right or wrong, I'd take Moises as skipper over Wade any day, I liked him in American Pie and he seems like a good bloke, Wade comes across as a bit of a flogger and TBH I'd find it hard to find a spot for him.

I don't mind the Sean Abbott experience, I have a lot of love for him, I'd include Warner and give the keeping duties to McDermott or perhaps persevere with Phillipe for a bit longer.

Christian is a bit of an in-betweener, did he appear better than he is because our comp is lacking quality or does he have that x-factor about him.

I'm a massive Behrendorff fan.

Agree with all of that mate, the T20 series against Bangladesh will give us a larger sample size on top of the Windies series as to whether or not Wade, Henriques, Phillippe, McDermott, Christian and Turner will retain their spots in Australia's squad for the T20 World Cup with Finch, Warner, Smith, Maxwell, Stoinis and Sams all likely to be included in the batsmen/all rounder spots. The pressure is really on the guys in the current squad after struggling with the bat in the recent series.

I'm also a big Behrendorff fan and I think he should continually be in Australia's white ball squads.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30911
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7665 times
Been liked: 1149 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Minimum Chips » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:07 pm

Just reading on AdelaideNow that unless there's some travel exemptions for families of England players, then there's a chance the Ashes may be postponed as quite a few players will pull out. England don't want to bring a weakened squad (fair enough) but on the other hand also it would be a bad look if the Govt allow exemptions whilst at the same time there's plenty of Aussie expats who can't get in because of limits on o/seas arrivals (fair enough as well).
Given all the lockdowns in place at the moment who knows when everything will open up again.
Minimum Chips
Under 16s
 
 
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:04 pm
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: Bute

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby The Dark Knight » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:16 pm

Minimum Chips wrote:Just reading on AdelaideNow that unless there's some travel exemptions for families of England players, then there's a chance the Ashes may be postponed as quite a few players will pull out. England don't want to bring a weakened squad (fair enough) but on the other hand also it would be a bad look if the Govt allow exemptions whilst at the same time there's plenty of Aussie expats who can't get in because of limits on o/seas arrivals (fair enough as well).
Given all the lockdowns in place at the moment who knows when everything will open up again.

This has been quite a big topic of discussion in England cricket news, media and commentary recently and it'll very interesting to see how it all goes. If they have payers in both their T20 World Cup and Ashes squads those guys will be away from home and in a COVID bubble for 4 months.
User avatar
The Dark Knight
Coach
 
Posts: 30911
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Gotham City
Has liked: 7665 times
Been liked: 1149 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:45 pm

Should be only Ashes this thread **** the hit and giggle. Been watching England a lot and they are seriously shit. Got some good pace bowlers but they can't bat, don't have a decent spinner and their two guns average 35 over here. Look out for Wood and Robinson don't mind them as cricketers but Joe Root remains the key wicket yet again. Expect Burns to edge his way to a decent score at some time and for Dom Sibley to bore us all silly as he is a poor man's cook. Crawley looked like he was about to kick on but didn't so they don't have a number three and somehow the limited Bairstow is back in the side. Buttler will hit some nice shots but because of a rubbish top order he will be forced to bat in an unnatural style anytime we get Root on the cheap.

We will go in with the same brain dead bounce em out game plan that failed against India but it will work this time as England's best isn't as good as the Indian Reserves who beat us last year. Watch us pick Starc, who is majorly cooked but hopefully we get rid of Wade who is a poor man's Buttler and that is poor. No way we lose this series. Poms are crap. Even worse than us.

regards,

REB
Piglet Shield Premiers 2013 2021 -Join the Hogg Group code: 623573 - HOGG DEADLINE 3/3/22
User avatar
Rik E Boy
Coach
 
 
Posts: 27147
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:55 pm
Location: The Switch
Has liked: 1423 times
Been liked: 1602 times

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest