Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Australian International Summer (The Ashes) 2021/22

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:21 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:As per usual could not agree less with Ian Chappells view that a team doesn't need a coach.

Chappelli's views have been irrelevant for 20 years.
But, but, but Bill Lawry once told him that it's easier to face a right arm seamer bowling around the wicket than over the wicket so all right arm seamers should always be bowling over the wicket even though as a collective they've had more success bowling around the wicket in recent times (eg Broad to Warner and Flintoffto Gilchrist).

That was my biggest IRK of the summer. Every bloody test the same discussion.

He then seemed to get even more irritated when it actually worked and they got a wicket with statements like they were lucky or really the batsmen got themselves out not the bowler going around the wicket etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:32 am

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:As per usual could not agree less with Ian Chappells view that a team doesn't need a coach.

Chappelli's views have been irrelevant for 20 years.
But, but, but Bill Lawry once told him that it's easier to face a right arm seamer bowling around the wicket than over the wicket so all right arm seamers should always be bowling over the wicket even though as a collective they've had more success bowling around the wicket in recent times (eg Broad to Warner and Flintoffto Gilchrist).

That was my biggest IRK of the summer. Every bloody test the same discussion.

He then seemed to get even more irritated when it actually worked and they got a wicket with statements like they were lucky or really the batsmen got themselves out not the bowler going around the wicket etc.
And Chappell completely disregarded ABC statistician Rick Finlay when Finlay provided the numbers of right arm bowlers bowling to left handers with the numbers showing that bowlers have had more success when bowling around the wicket.

Jarrod Kimber also talked about right arm bowlers bowling to a left hand batsman over or around the wicket too in one of his recent videos, can't remember which video though.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10329 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:53 pm

Pat Cummins :

There has been much public comment since Justin Langer’s resignation as the Coach of the Australian Cricket team.

For good reason, I haven’t made public comment before today.

To speak about a decision, which was yet to be made and which is for Cricket Australia to make, would have put Cricket Australia and the team in an impossible position.

I’d never do that.

I believe in respecting the sanctity of the change room and proper process.

Now that a decision has been made by Justin to resign and given his own public comments and others by Cricket Australia, I can provide some clarity.

Justin has acknowledged that his style was intense. And it was.

He has apologised to players and staff for his intensity.

I think the apology was unnecessary.

Because the players were ok with JL’s intensity.

It came from a good place – his fierce love of Australia and the baggy green – something which has served Australian cricket well for three decades.

It’s what makes him a legend of the sport.

And Justin’s intensity drove a better team culture and higher team standards.

These are significant Justin Langer legacies.

And on behalf of the players, I thank Justin.

More than that, we owe him a lot and Justin will be a welcome face in the change room in the future.

So, his intensity was not the issue for the players and the support staff.

The question is: what is the best style of coaching for the future, given how the team has evolved?

We have been very well schooled in how to play cricket in the right way – in the correct Australian way.

We understand the importance of always playing to the highest ethical standards.

And the players need no motivation as I’ve never played with more motivated cricketers.

To be better players for Australia, from this solid foundation, we need a new style of coaching and skill set.

This was the feedback the players gave to Cricket Australia. And it’s the feedback I understand support staff also gave.

We welcome that Cricket Australia invited the players and staff to contribute to CA’s evaluation.

I add that as professional sportspeople we would have accepted any decision CA were to make because that’s what professionals do.

CA have made a brave call to transition, given the team has been winning.

Finally, we are custodians of cricket, with one very big thing in common: our first duty is to Australian cricket, which is bigger than any one of us.

I take this responsibility seriously. I live and breathe it.

We also have a duty to our mates.

Many former players have reached out to me and silently offered me their advice which is welcome.

Some others have spoken in the media – which is also welcome and comes from a love of the game and their support of a mate.

To all past players, I want to say this:

Just as you have always stuck up for your mates, I’m sticking up for mine.

I’m looking forward to speaking with the media today before training.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:56 pm

Absolute garbage.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:06 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Absolute garbage.

People come and go from jobs all the time, CA and the playing group didn't see Langer as the answer moving forward, so be it, there is no right or wrong way to remove someone after success.

We lost a home series to India twelve months ago, a massive failure considering they had more injured players than fit ones, they brought in second stringers who defeated us and made us look stupid.

We got smashed by the Bangers, massive failure.

Yeah, we won the world T20 cup as underdogs, we should never have been underdogs from the start if we played our strongest team over the previous 18 months, there was no method or logic in our selections in the lead up.

Yeah, we won the Ashes against a weakened Pommy outfit, so we should have.

Langer was a gritty gutsy opener who we all loved and admired for it, there was obviously something behind closed doors that was eating at everyone, rarely does CA sack a coach or push him out the door.

I think we all need to move on and welcome the success that will come our way with a harmonious squad.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:39 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Absolute garbage.

People come and go from jobs all the time, CA and the playing group didn't see Langer as the answer moving forward, so be it, there is no right or wrong way to remove someone after success.

We lost a home series to India twelve months ago, a massive failure considering they had more injured players than fit ones, they brought in second stringers who defeated us and made us look stupid.

We got smashed by the Bangers, massive failure.

Yeah, we won the world T20 cup as underdogs, we should never have been underdogs from the start if we played our strongest team over the previous 18 months, there was no method or logic in our selections in the lead up.

Yeah, we won the Ashes against a weakened Pommy outfit, so we should have.

Langer was a gritty gutsy opener who we all loved and admired for it, there was obviously something behind closed doors that was eating at everyone, rarely does CA sack a coach or push him out the door.

I think we all need to move on and welcome the success that will come our way with a harmonious squad.

The small part I find interesting is if you go off the last test and look at their age.....this group of players is talking about whats best for them moving forward......given their ages most of these blokes wont be there 'moving forward' more than 12-18 months so are they the right people to be making such critical decisions on what's best moving forward.

Anyway all very interesting, would love to have been a fly on the wall.

Warner 35
Khawaja 35
Labuschagne 27
Smith 32
Head 28
Green 22
Carey 30
Starc 32
Cummins 28
Lyon 34
Boland 32
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:50 pm

whufc wrote:
The small part I find interesting is if you go off the last test and look at their age.....this group of players is talking about whats best for them moving forward......given their ages most of these blokes wont be there 'moving forward' more than 12-18 months so are they the right people to be making such critical decisions on what's best moving forward.

Anyway all very interesting, would love to have been a fly on the wall.

Warner 35
Khawaja 35
Labuschagne 27
Smith 32
Head 28
Green 22
Carey 30
Starc 32
Cummins 28
Lyon 34
Boland 32

The group is quite young if you look at former teams historically.

More often than not batsmen are debuting around 27+ and bowlers can debut earlier but generally don't hold down their spots until around the same age.

Batsmen can go on until 38 no worries as can spinners, we've still got 4-5 years from any of our bowling fraternity and we can bleed Richardson in over this time so we really need to only find one more plus some back up.

I think we're entering a very successful era, perhaps our team doesn't look as strong as it has in the past but I also think all of the opposition nations look a hell of a lot weaker, the Kiwi's being the only exception.

It's been a long time since we've had a more than capable 22 year old all-rounder.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby the smokey » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:06 pm

I think we all need to move on and welcome the success that will come our way with a harmonious squad.[/quote]

Agree completely. Langer lost the players years ago. This is not something that has come up out of the blue. Prior to the T20 world cup there was no chance he was getting a contract renewal and now that there's been a little bit of success he's the greatest coach and has to be appointed. Give me a break.
The bloke's people management is obviously pretty ordinary when he is in control. He is a micro-managing control freak. Yes, this can work with certain dynamics but it clearly hasn't worked with this overall group players.
The success at the T20 world cup and beating up on a terrible ENG side shouldn't change what happened over the past 2-3 years, He has served his time and we will look back and where we have come from as a pretty good coaching stint.
Unfortunately for the next bloke if it doesn't start well some people are going to go beserk
the smokey
Rookie

Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:21 pm

Ol’ Patty boy looked very uncomfortable in his presser.
Some of the shine may have come off the golden boy!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:34 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Ol’ Patty boy looked very uncomfortable in his presser.
Did nothing to take the heat off himself at all.

We had no issues with JL but the team has evolved and we need to go in a different direction.

Well clearly you did have an issue!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:42 pm

Clearly this wasn't part of the job description that he signed up for, he's the 3rd youngest in the team, that speaks volumes for the type of individual he is.

As a captain you need to speak on behalf of the team, sometimes you might not agree 100% of what you're having to dish up, I'm sure he and Langer had some lengthy discussions in person where he would've had to go in to bat for a team mate.

It will all be water under the bridge by next summer as Davey or Candy Warner will be in the headlines for some sort of scandal.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:43 pm

heater31 wrote:

We had no issues with JL but the team has evolved and we need to go in a different direction.

He said enough to suggest he didn’t want JL there going forward
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:44 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
heater31 wrote:

"Yeah, I'll take the captaincy but can you move that angry freak on that keeps knee-capping everyone please"
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:46 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
heater31 wrote:

"Yeah, I'll take the captaincy but can you move that angry freak on that keeps knee-capping everyone please"

Yeah I’ll take the intelligent pretty boy over an angry gnome I guess
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:49 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Yeah I’ll take the intelligent pretty boy over an angry gnome I guess

Yep, I'll cook the BBQ at anyone's place, as long as they STFU while I'm doing it and grab me a beer when I'm empty.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:37 pm

Pretty clear after the presser it was just a styles clash that had run it race.

Obviously Langer coaches the way he played, sends teams out with a a bit of shit up em, playing on the edge whilst the playing group feel they are mature enough to play in a calmer, more clear minded environment. Neither is wrong.

My money is on Andrew McDonald to get the gig full time, he would understand both batting and bowling elements real well and on the few occasions I met him when he was in SA he seemed a very calm, articulated kind of guy. A real Pat Cummins style operator
whufc
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:42 pm

whufc wrote:Pretty clear after the presser it was just a styles clash that had run it race.

Obviously Langer coaches the way he played, sends teams out with a a bit of shit up em, playing on the edge whilst the playing group feel they are mature enough to play in a calmer, more clear minded environment. Neither is wrong.

My money is on Andrew McDonald to get the gig full time, he would understand both batting and bowling elements real well and on the few occasions I met him when he was in SA he seemed a very calm, articulated kind of guy. A real Pat Cummins style operator

I hope not.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby am Bays » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:20 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:Pretty clear after the presser it was just a styles clash that had run it race.

I hope not.

Hasn't he already ruled himself out of the gig on a full time basis due to having a young family?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:59 pm

am Bays wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I hope not.

Hasn't he already ruled himself out of the gig on a full time basis due to having a young family?
Where did you read that?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10329 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby locky801 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:09 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
am Bays wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I hope not.

Where did you read that?

read it as well, cant remember where but was also stated on this forum a page or 3 back
You cant change your past but you can sure hell shape you future
locky801
Coach

Has liked: 3698 times
Been liked: 1165 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket