Shane Warne dead!

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Shane Warne dead!

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:34 pm

Hearing Warnie’s daughter speak is so touching and moving
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:08 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Hearing Warnie’s daughter speak is so touching and moving

Yeah, made my eyes leak.
Really feel for his kids.

Not much mention of his mum which I found strange.
A mother losing her son is devastating.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:46 pm

amber_fluid wrote:Hearing Warnie’s daughter speak is so touching and moving

I was fine until the kids spoke :(
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:24 am

I was watching until Sam Newman dragged the event down to a puerile level as he regularly does. He seriously has no idea what he's saying sometimes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:31 am

Booney wrote:I was watching until Sam Newman dragged the event down to a puerile level as he regularly does. He seriously has no idea what he's saying sometimes.

A little harsh. I thought he was ok. You need to remember the Shane Sam knew was not the cricketer, father, brother etc, he was the larrikin mate who shared certain photos and details of his social life reserved for "the lads". It's all he knew of him.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:14 am

Booney wrote:I was watching until Sam Newman dragged the event down to a puerile level as he regularly does. He seriously has no idea what he's saying sometimes.

Yeah I tend to agree.

In an attempt to be funny I thought he brought the conversation to a level that was slightly uncomfortable and potentially not what the family/children really wanted to listen all albeit it was no doubt the truth.

We all knew what Warney probably had in his phone but was his memorial really a time to bring that up....just like Warne would have shown him with a level of confidentiality Newman probably could of left that detail between himself and Warne.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:20 am

Having a beer at the wake in a quiet corner with the golf lads was the time, not on stage in front of family, ex wife etc
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:50 am

fair call
MW
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:42 am

I didn't get to see it, I was working and watching at the time and then a customer called and spoke for nearly an hour, I said "Yep, thanks for that and we'll sort through it tomorrow" at least 8 times but it just wasn't cutting it.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:55 am

It was good to be there live, we had great seats, basically front on in the MCC members. Terrific atmosphere, and in the main it was all about respect. It's the reason we went. I kind of get where Boon is coming from with his Sam Newman observations....FWIW it really didn't come over that way (to me at least) what I took away from Sam's very small part was Warney took his money more often than not on the golf course. Aaron Hamil spoke well, Warnes father Keith was great. Then there were the kids..... teared up then.
The unveiling of the Shane Warne Stand ended out the night beautifully.
Perhaps the one thing that will stay with me was the "Warnie, Warnie, Warnie" chants on the platform at Jolimont Station. The crowd "singing" as one. Gold.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:00 pm

MW wrote:

A little harsh. I thought he was ok. You need to remember the Shane Sam knew was not the cricketer, father, brother etc, he was the larrikin mate who shared certain photos and details of his social life reserved for "the lads". It's all he knew of him.

Not sure if you have lost your sense of humour Booney being in isolation, or maybe Port's form, but I thought Sam was excellent. Was the most laughter for the whole night was his stories, re the golf etc. Thought he was brilliant. That is who Warney was, nothing his family, mates, kids, Simonne etc did not know. That is why he was loved by so many people. Have been critical of Sam over the years, but he was fantastic and everyone I have spoken to today has agreed. People on SA Footy have really lost the art of having a laugh lately :shock:
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:05 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
MW wrote:

Not sure if you have lost your sense of humour Booney being in isolation, or maybe Port's form, but I thought Sam was excellent. Was the most laughter for the whole night was his stories, re the golf etc. Thought he was brilliant. That is who Warney was, nothing his family, mates, kids, Simonne etc did not know. That is why he was loved by so many people. Have been critical of Sam over the years, but he was fantastic and everyone I have spoken to today has agreed. People on SA Footy have really lost the art of having a laugh lately :shock:

Not sure how knowing Warney was getting around with nudes/explicit pics of stunning women was hugely funny, especially when you throw in the audience that was listening. That's normally a show the pics or GTFO type of conversation I would have with the mates.

Whether I do or not I don't think ill ever find it funny if someone announces in front of my daughters that ive been showing mates pics of 'women'. I personally would prefer if that was to stay private tbh. Just like I wouldn't want to know what my daughter does when she is an adult either.
whufc
Coach

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:08 pm

whufc wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:
MW wrote:

Not sure how knowing Warney was getting around with nudes/explicit pics of stunning women was hugely funny, especially when you throw in the audience that was listening. That's normally a show the pics or GTFO type of conversation I would have with the mates.

Not sure he said that (may have inferred it), but was small part of his stories, the rest was very humorous and LOL stuff.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 524 times

Postby MW » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:13 pm

Oh the inference was very clear...
I didn't have a problem with Sam but understand if others did.
MW
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:14 pm

Agree some of the other stuff was funny but that part did raise the eyebrows of both myself and my partner. She had no idea who Sam Newman is and just stated why is the old bastard revealing that 'as if the kids want to know what pics he was keeping and how disrespectful to his previous partners who now may have questioned or wondered what Sam meant by that.........was it of them, was it of others whilst in a relationship with them etc'

Added no value or insight into the person Warne was and tbh that part of his story had no comedic value.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:17 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:
MW wrote:

Not sure isolation ( which I'm 3 days out of ) or Port's form has anything to do with you not understanding people have opinions that may differ to yours. I have my view, I stand by it, I'm not alone. You have yours, you stand by it, you're not alone. That's how mature people have discussions, not everyone agrees on everything.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:19 pm

whufc wrote:Agree some of the other stuff was funny but that part did raise the eyebrows of both myself and my partner. She had no idea who Sam Newman is and just stated why is the old bastard revealing that 'as if the kids want to know what pics he was keeping and how disrespectful to his previous partners who now may have questioned or wondered what Sam meant by that.........was it of them, was it of others whilst in a relationship with them etc'

A work colleague here said it was a "cringe" moment that didn't befit the rest of the night that had more than enough moments to make you smile without going there, summed up perfectly for mine.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:24 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Agree some of the other stuff was funny but that part did raise the eyebrows of both myself and my partner. She had no idea who Sam Newman is and just stated why is the old bastard revealing that 'as if the kids want to know what pics he was keeping and how disrespectful to his previous partners who now may have questioned or wondered what Sam meant by that.........was it of them, was it of others whilst in a relationship with them etc'

A work colleague here said it was a "cringe" moment that didn't befit the rest of the night that had more than enough moments to make you smile without going there, summed up perfectly for mine.

Yeah summoned perfectly.

Time and place for everything.....at the front bar with the mates over a beer for sure, at a sportsmen night at the local football club absolutely. Memorial service in front of wife, kids, yeah nah no thanks.
whufc
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:25 pm

I read somewhere 1 billion people tuned in... 1 in every 8 people in the world. Amazing.
MW
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:28 pm

MW wrote:I read somewhere 1 billion people tuned in... 1 in every 8 people in the world. Amazing.

My Irish partner couldn't believe the reach that Warney had when all the guest were lining up. She continued to forget the likes of Elton John, Chris Martin and Mick Jagger are English therefore could have/did have a big interest in cricket.

Loved the story about the Peaky Blinders and the veneers.....brilliant :lol:
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket