Modernising Test Cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Modernising Test Cricket

Postby whufc » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:48 am

I know we all love test cricket for its tradition and history. However the last few days (here and in Pakistan) has shown us that test cricket is still living in the history and most modernisation has been purely saved for t20 formats.

What changes do people want to see to test cricket

Immediate ones for me are:

-bad light should never be a reason to stop the game, turn the lights on a find a way to use a pink ball if needed.
-changing batting gloves should be saved for drinks breaks only
-pitches like Sydney should have full oval covers. If it’s not raining we should be able to play.

Is there more radical changes, should draws be part of test cricket, should teams be able to substitute players etc
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Modernising Test Cricket

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:52 pm

should a days play start earlier?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11841 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Armchair expert » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:36 pm

I think what I find most annoying is when there are rain delays etc. they don't take lunch / tea when its raining but rather wait and have it close to its scheduled time.
Dave Warner will be missed!
Armchair expert
Coach

Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 1435 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:00 pm

Armchair expert wrote:I think what I find most annoying is when there are rain delays etc. they don't take lunch / tea when its raining but rather wait and have it close to its scheduled time.
The excuse is that Catering is all pre organised for set times and a costly expense to move it around. Surely in this day and age you can adjust a break by an hour or two?
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:I think what I find most annoying is when there are rain delays etc. they don't take lunch / tea when its raining but rather wait and have it close to its scheduled time.
The excuse is that Catering is all pre organised for set times and a costly expense to move it around. Surely in this day and age you can adjust a break by an hour or two?

surely thats not right? :shock:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Sat Jan 07, 2023 4:54 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Give the poor bastards pre made sanga’s.
Problem solved!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2519 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:43 pm

Why when you have good weather and good light can’t you extend play for an hour?
We have lost so much time time this test, keep them out there
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:29 pm

I'm not sure this would modernise the game, but bring Test Cricket back to the most sought after format of the game. And to do that, it needs to be financially viable for players to strive after. I'm not sure most test playing nations have their best players striving for test cricket.

To modernise the game;

Pink ball - less interruptions for bad light which has been a blight on the Sydney test
    A MINIMUM of 90 overs per day (I've watched a lot of cricket and can't honestly remember the last time I've seen 90 overs in a day)
    Day night tests all around Australia
    Remove the '3' reviews per inning
    Flexibility in the scheduling, with teams, grounds and also timeslots especially when there is time lost as again we've seen in Sydney.

The WTC has been great but its flawed due to the standard of the game. If Sth Africa are third prior to this series then there is something seriously wrong.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:05 am

gadj1976 wrote:I'm not sure this would modernise the game, but bring Test Cricket back to the most sought after format of the game. And to do that, it needs to be financially viable for players to strive after. I'm not sure most test playing nations have their best players striving for test cricket.

To modernise the game;

Pink ball - less interruptions for bad light which has been a blight on the Sydney test
    A MINIMUM of 90 overs per day (I've watched a lot of cricket and can't honestly remember the last time I've seen 90 overs in a day)
    Flexibility in the scheduling, with teams, grounds and also timeslots especially when there is time lost as again we've seen in Sydney.

The WTC has been great but its flawed due to the standard of the game. If Sth Africa are third prior to this series then there is something seriously wrong.

The only issue with the WTC is it spans over 3 years…..lots can change in 3 years. The theory that each team plays every other team scoring points is the perfect system. Unfortunately there is no way that can happen in a shorter time span.
whufc
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:17 am

gadj1976 wrote:I'm not sure this would modernise the game, but bring Test Cricket back to the most sought after format of the game. And to do that, it needs to be financially viable for players to strive after. I'm not sure most test playing nations have their best players striving for test cricket.

To modernise the game;

to make it worse, i think Sth Africa were 2nd :lol:
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:20 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

To modernise the game;

Didn’t they beat India?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:27 am

Why cant we start earlier? Or is it purely for TV that the cricket runs into the 6pm news?

I also think there needs to be more flexibility with playing times.

Teams need to be bowlinng 90 overs a day. It simply isnt that hard. If teams cant keep up with the over rate than they need to be punished. when teams want to bowl more overs, its amazing how quick they can all get into positions :evil:

The review system needs a complete overhaul - or we simply just go back to accepting the on-field umpires decisions. they get some wrong, they get most correct.
when a batsman gets out - just get off the f#$##$!@%$%$@ ground asap, none of this sunday stroll on the beach pace wandering off, waiting for the review to show a no ball etc.

i agree with the pink ball.

there should also be a Test Final for the 2nd tier of nations which can be played before the main event. give these burgeoning countries a goal to aim for and an experience that can only benefit their development
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

To modernise the game;

Didn’t they beat India?

Yep

They had been really good the last 2.5 years until their last two series versus England at home and us here.
whufc
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

To modernise the game;

yeah at Home last summer.

Didn’t they beat India?
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:51 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Why cant we start earlier? Or is it purely for TV that the cricket runs into the 6pm news?

Teams need to be bowlinng 90 overs a day. It simply isnt that hard. If teams cant keep up with the over rate than they need to be punished. when teams want to bowl more overs, its amazing how quick they can all get into positions :evil:

The review system needs a complete overhaul - or we simply just go back to accepting the on-field umpires decisions. they get some wrong, they get most correct.
when a batsman gets out - just get off the f#$##$!@%$%$@ ground asap, none of this sunday stroll on the beach pace wandering off, waiting for the review to show a no ball etc.

there should also be a Test Final for the 2nd tier of nations which can be played before the main event. give these burgeoning countries a goal to aim for and an experience that can only benefit their development

They won’t start earlier as they’ll want the players to have a decent nights sleep, breakfast, exercise, a practice session and media commitments to fit in before the start of play.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:54 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Why cant we start earlier? Or is it purely for TV that the cricket runs into the 6pm news?

They won’t start earlier as they’ll want the players to have a decent nights sleep, breakfast, exercise, a practice session and media commitments to fit in before the start of play.

Day Tests are already starting 1/2 hour earlier than the old days when they would start at 11.00 local time, to fit in the extra 1/2 hour.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:54 am

Agree,

I think nearly everyone would agree the 90 overs should be played regardless, surely the 6pm news isn’t that popular these days.

Reckon once 90 overs was the minimum we would automatically see the game sped up.
whufc
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:56 am

There could be a difference between modernising Test cricket and the improvements we, as cricket lovers, would like to see.

Agree with Whuffer about the gloves, gadj about the 90 overs and AE about the breaks on an interrupted day.

Could we have a reserve Day 6. Not to make up for every 1/2 delay, but keep it simple so if a full session is lost, it is made up as such on Day 6.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:01 am

FlyingHigh wrote:There could be a difference between modernising Test cricket and the improvements we, as cricket lovers, would like to see.

Agree with Whuffer about the gloves, gadj about the 90 overs and AE about the breaks on an interrupted day.

Could we have a reserve Day 6. Not to make up for every 1/2 delay, but keep it simple so if a full session is lost, it is made up as such on Day 6.

Glove changing is plain ridiculous, the standard of gloves today would be 1000 times better than what used to be around. Should only be changed if they’re torn or at a scheduled drinks break.

Even the Windies used to squeeze their overs in, they did use Viv and Larry a bit to push a few through with their 2-3 step run ups.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:12 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:There could be a difference between modernising Test cricket and the improvements we, as cricket lovers, would like to see.

Glove changing is plain ridiculous, the standard of gloves today would be 1000 times better than what used to be around. Should only be changed if they’re torn or at a scheduled drinks break.

Even the Windies used to squeeze their overs in, they did use Viv and Larry a bit to push a few through with their 2-3 step run ups.

Agree the gloves would have to be heaps better than years ago. Stop the glover changes and drinks between overs, maybe have 2 shorter drinks breaks every 45 minutes.

Not sure about the Windies getting through their overs. Quite often it was a tactic to bowl their overs slower so they'd only get 80ish bowled or alternatively IIRC some times, ie 1991 over there, the conditions were overs had to be bowled, so they would go up to an hour over time.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket