Modernising Test Cricket

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Modernising Test Cricket

Postby Trader » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:15 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
The other major change i see is the 'big nations' continuing to push for more test series against one another, the ICC have tried to counter this by creating the WTC which i love as a modernized concept forcing big nations to play smaller ones .

F*ck off the IPL and BBL and UAEBL and WIBL and The Hundred and every other form of ramp shot and they can all play more Test cricket.

Anyone on here tried to play the ramp shot?
I tried it a couple of times in the net whilst playing with my son and could barely hit the **** thing!

To play that shot against a bowler at 140kmh takes guts and skill.

Who invented that shot?

Ryan Campbell and Tillakaratne Dilshan were two early players who loved a ramp or scoop.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:19 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
The other major change i see is the 'big nations' continuing to push for more test series against one another, the ICC have tried to counter this by creating the WTC which i love as a modernized concept forcing big nations to play smaller ones .

F*ck off the IPL and BBL and UAEBL and WIBL and The Hundred and every other form of ramp shot and they can all play more Test cricket.

I tried it a couple of times in the net whilst playing with my son and could barely hit the **** thing!

Who invented that shot?

It is ridiculous hey.

Our ball machine allows us to get up to 150km and my god!! For the average country spud like me batting goes from being fun and a bit of adrenaline rush facing the quicks to geez i could die here if the bloke on the ball machine moves it slightly.

We were using the Fulltrak AI last night at training and we have a bloke who bowls 130km and i would never ever ever ever contemplate ramping him. I'm not a big t20 fan but the balls the guys have when batting in that format is incredible.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:19 am

Trader wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

Who invented that shot?

Ryan Campbell and Tillakaratne Dilshan were two early players who loved a ramp or scoop.

Ryan Campbell 2002/03...

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ry ... M%3DHDRSC4
whufc
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:25 am

Make Lunch and tea 15 min breaks only, you get half an hour straight back, cricketers these days are so fit they dont need these long breaks anymore and its wasted time in the middle of the day - esp at a venue where light becomes a factor after 5pm
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3497 times

Postby mickey » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:35 am

Brodlach wrote:I agree with Booney for a change. Leave. It. Alone.
Can we bring back timeless tests and uncovered pitches.
Seeing that we don't want to change anything [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:35 am

Dutchy wrote:Make Lunch and tea 15 min breaks only, you get half an hour straight back, cricketers these days are so fit they dont need these long breaks anymore and its wasted time in the middle of the day - esp at a venue where light becomes a factor after 5pm

They need the 40 minutes for a feed, shower/ice bath, massage etc.

Even as an amateur, playing back to back days takes a bit out of you, especially for quick bowlers, playing 5 days in a row would be absolutely gruelling.

Even just fielding for a complete day knocks you about, these guys can field for in excess of 150 overs.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Trader » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:36 am

Dutchy wrote:Make Lunch and tea 15 min breaks only, you get half an hour straight back, cricketers these days are so fit they dont need these long breaks anymore and its wasted time in the middle of the day - esp at a venue where light becomes a factor after 5pm

The lunch break is needed so the corporates at the ground can put their snout in the trough and not miss too much cricket.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:39 am

mickey wrote:
Brodlach wrote:I agree with Booney for a change. Leave. It. Alone.
Can we bring back timeless tests and uncovered pitches.
Seeing that we don't want to change anything [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Yep if test cricket isn't willing to change hard to see it existing especially with a global look on the game. I would much rather some small subtle changes than a complete overhaul like 4 day tests etc.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:40 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Even as an amateur, playing back to back days takes a bit out of you, especially for quick bowlers, playing 5 days in a row would be absolutely gruelling.

Even just fielding for a complete day knocks you about, these guys can field for in excess of 150 overs.

Especially if we are expecting over rates to speed up.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:48 am

whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:It's crazy to think it's that simple yet the ICC won't change it for some strange reason.

TV rights and advertising.

True....quicker days equals less time on tv which equals less adverts which should equal less tv rights $$$.

This is basically what Jarrod Kimber says on his podcasts when people ask him about over rates, he says the ICC and cricket boards aren't willing to do anything major about it because quicker days mean less adverts which mean less $$$ for them.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10332 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Lets remember the bowlers aren't out there for 5 days, be lucky if they are out there for more than 2 days
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3497 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:13 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
whufc wrote:It's crazy to think it's that simple yet the ICC won't change it for some strange reason.

True....quicker days equals less time on tv which equals less adverts which should equal less tv rights $$$.

This is basically what Jarrod Kimber says on his podcasts when people ask him about over rates, he says the ICC and cricket boards aren't willing to do anything major about it because quicker days mean less adverts which mean less $$$ for them.

I guess the catch is they don't think speeding up the game will increase the attendance / viewership enough to make up for potential lost tv income. Surely if you have increased viewerships the $$$$ per advert goes up.

I guess the grounds lose out on shorter days as well from lost sales. At $10 a beer only takes 3 beers to be sold an hour per staff member to cover staff costs.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:26 pm

whufc wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
whufc wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:[quote="whufc"]It's crazy to think it's that simple yet the ICC won't change it for some strange reason.

I guess the catch is they don't think speeding up the game will increase the attendance / viewership enough to make up for potential lost tv income. Surely if you have increased viewerships the $$$$ per advert goes up.

I guess the grounds lose out on shorter days as well from lost sales. At $10 a beer only takes 3 beers to be sold an hour per staff member to cover staff costs.[/quote]Yes you'd imagine having longer days means the hosting venue would make more money too.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10332 times
Been liked: 1520 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:05 pm

whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Disagree especially in the case of the Windies......

Hmm I thought it was well documented that issues - particularly around $$ with the WICB and WI Government was a large part of the decline in cricket, and was also a major factor in players defecting to T20 format in the early years and/or playing overseas.

It is but cricket was already well and truly on a decline.....that was just the nail in the coffin.

The West Indies are unique, it must be incredibly hard to select a team of players from different countries (some that really don't like each other) and have to appease the different Governments and local cricket boards. I was in Jamaica in 1999 when Brian Lara walked out to a chorus of boos late on day 1. He was even booed by some when got to 100. They were more congratulatory when he passed 200 lol.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1211 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:23 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:
whufc wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:Disagree especially in the case of the Windies......

Hmm I thought it was well documented that issues - particularly around $$ with the WICB and WI Government was a large part of the decline in cricket, and was also a major factor in players defecting to T20 format in the early years and/or playing overseas.

It is but cricket was already well and truly on a decline.....that was just the nail in the coffin.

The West Indies are unique, it must be incredibly hard to select a team of players from different countries (some that really don't like each other) and have to appease the different Governments and local cricket boards. I was in Jamaica in 1999 when Brian Lara walked out to a chorus of boos late on day 1. He was even booed by some when got to 100. They were more congratulatory when he passed 200 lol.

Is it time a few Islands break away and try and play as individual nations?

You wouldn't think they would be competitive, but it would give each nation more control of their players, governances, promotion and investment in the game.

Hard part would be not many of the nation's cricket bodies would be financially strong enough to break away.

The other part is as well that even if the players are paid more is it ever going to be more than what they can get playing in the T20 comps around the world. I dont know the answer to that but would Pat Cummins be financially better off quitting t20 and playing t20 all his life. If thats a yes throwing more money at the players may not solve the issue anyway.
whufc
Coach

Postby RB » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:51 pm

whufc wrote:Yep if test cricket isn't willing to change hard to see it existing especially with a global look on the game.

Why do you say that?

I'm a yes to things like trying to improve over rates, but I've got no idea what you're talking about.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:24 pm

Test Cricket will endure. Australia, England & India will remain strong and there will always be interest in Pakistan, Sri Lanka, NZ & Sth Africa. West Indies are indeed a concern, but if they falter it will not have a large impact on Test Cricket as a whole.

I do agree that something needs to be done re going off for "bad light" though.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1211 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:40 pm

RB wrote:
whufc wrote:Yep if test cricket isn't willing to change hard to see it existing especially with a global look on the game.

Why do you say that?

I'm a yes to things like trying to improve over rates, but I've got no idea what you're talking about.

$$$$$$

Not so much from a Aus, Eng, Ind perspective but pretty much every other nation gets terrible crowds that are only dwindling. T20 is taking up more and of the calendar and then we have the threat of things like the 100. India played only 2 home test matches in 2022.

Is there always going to be interest in Pakistan……after 20 odd years of no test cricket they get the biggest test nation in the world us and can barely get more than 500 people there most of which are school kids for free.

More and more players are choosing the riches of the t20 dollar, NZ and SAF the latest two nations to feel the pinch of players retiring/quitting/choosing t20 cricket earlier than their cricket boards would have liked.

The further sports becomes a business the more test cricket is at risk…it’s bad business.

The IPL is already considering expanding to a longer competition, how long can the ICC fight of that.

Even in our own country cricket numbers are dwindling at all levels forcing clubs/comps to abandon the longer version (2 day cricket). My 4 year old daughter is likely to grow up never playing more than a 40 over game either in juniors or seniors, that has to have an impact on the next generations love for longer forms of the game.

Whilst I can see Aus, Eng, India future being ok every other countries test future has to have some question marks over it.

I’m hoping the WTC goes someway to solving that by eliminating dead rubbers, creating more exciting fixtures and schedule equality so all countries big and small have a chance to grow.
Last edited by whufc on Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whufc
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:47 pm

whufc wrote:$$$$$$ pretty much every other nation gets terrible crowds that are only dwindling.

Crowds don't bring in the money - TV deals do. I can assure you none of these cricket nations could care less if they don't get decent crowds so long as they gain corporate sponsorship and excessive tv rights deals.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:51 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:$$$$$$ pretty much every other nation gets terrible crowds that are only dwindling.

Crowds don't bring in the money - TV deals do. I can assure you none of these cricket nations could care less if they don't get decent crowds so long as they gain corporate sponsorship and excessive tv rights deals.

Very true but at some level they are a indicator of interest in a sport.

Also grounds don’t get money from tv rights…. Who funds the grounds…I don’t know the answer to that is it cricket boards, governments, independent bodies.

I mean what are our biggest attending sports in summer and winter in this country ….. aussie rules and cricket ‘coincidentally’ they also generate the biggest tv rights deal out of all our sports. It’s not like the A-league gets poor attendances yet millions are watching at home on tv despite the fact soccer has the highest participation rate in the country… the poor attendances reflect the lack of interest in that competition
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket