2023 ICC World Test Championship Final

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: 2023 ICC World Test Championship Final

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:10 pm

Some of the posts and replies by Indians in particular on those pages are a disgrace. ESPN Cricket Info has to tighten up online security because of some of the threats and horrendous comments. On a lighter note I did laugh at one that claimed Steve Waughs captains knock in the 99 WC quarter final was the second greatest knock under pressure by a countries captain in an ODI. The best was by Kapil Dev who guided India to victory vs Zimbabwe in the early 90’s after India were 8/149 chasing over 200 in some Mickey Mouse game. It wouldn’t have been funny if he was intentionally trolling…
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Aerie » Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:40 am

So we are 8 months in to the new cycle of this ICC Test World Championship thing. Australia currently sit top. The ladder is here if you can make sense of it: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc ... -standings

I do think the idea of having a WTC is a good one. It gives some context to the format. However, as we have seen with South Africa sending a 2nd XI to NZ, it is hardly a priority. With India to now play Australia over 5 Test series, that is a good announcement, however, besides England, India and Australia, Test cricket is struggling in other parts of the world and if we don't have other nations to play, it will lose its spark. Playing Test Cricket for your country should be the aim of the very best.

The ODI World Cup Final gives a pulse to that format of the game. Seeing the very best players prioritise playing in that tournament also gives it stature. I think ODI cricket is important as a conduit between T20 and Test Cricket for nations and individuals.

After this version of the World Test Championships is over, which is June 2025, I think they should revise the format.

Firstly, reserve the month of June each year for Test Cricket only. No international T20 tournaments or other international cricket to be scheduled. June is exclusively for the best players to be available to play for their country.

Announce a 4-year cycle, with Qualifiers in June 2026,27,28 and a WTC Finals Series to declare the champion in 2029. It could be a Top 5 in the format of the SANFL Finals series to ensure each position is hotly contested throughout the 3 years of qualifying. As Test Cricket gets stronger, the finals series could also double up as a promotion/relegation series.

Pick the top 10 Test Cricket nations to all come to England in June. Like a "Gather Round" for Test Cricket. There is support for the traditional format in England. There is a huge multicultural society already living there to support more than just the home team. Their time zone is ideal to broadcast Test Cricket played in their day time to the rest of the world (except New Zealand) - especially Asia. It is also the home of Test Cricket.

Each side would play 3 Tests each qualifying year against different opposition. 9 Test matches all up over the 3 year qualifying period against every team once. Clever scheduling could see almost a 30 day block of cricket broadcast. Package up and sell it to the sponsors and broadcasters and use the money to grow First Class and Test Cricket worldwide. How many people all over the world would pay their $20 monthly subscription to Amazon if they could watch India play Pakistan in a Test match at Lords to open the event?

Each format then has a pinnacle which each nation could strive for. T20 drives the growth. ODI's hone the skills. Test Cricket is the ultimate.

In terms of the general schedule of cricket - I would leave the April/May window for IPL to allow all players to make their millions.
Reserve June for the World Championship Test Cricket in England.
Reserve windows for the ODI and T20 World Cup Finals.

Other than that, let the market dictate demand.

Work out what is best for the home schedule of each country and work towards that. Australia seems to do fine with Test Cricket and BBL both taking centre stage over the Christmas/New Year period. I don't see why England couldn't do the same in August with their Test Cricket and The Hundred. Allow a window towards the end of these tournaments for international players to play for their home teams.

Perhaps other countries such as South Africa need to have their home grown players available for their domestic T20 tournaments. That is fine. There would be no need to schedule a two match series against New Zealand.

As interest grows, nations could schedule more Test series in their schedule. If interest wanes, there is at least the June WTC to keep the pulse going.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Hector » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:20 pm

Aerie wrote:So we are 8 months in to the new cycle of this ICC Test World Championship thing. Australia currently sit top. The ladder is here if you can make sense of it: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/icc ... -standings

I do think the idea of having a WTC is a good one. It gives some context to the format. However, as we have seen with South Africa sending a 2nd XI to NZ, it is hardly a priority. With India to now play Australia over 5 Test series, that is a good announcement, however, besides England, India and Australia, Test cricket is struggling in other parts of the world and if we don't have other nations to play, it will lose its spark. Playing Test Cricket for your country should be the aim of the very best.

The ODI World Cup Final gives a pulse to that format of the game. Seeing the very best players prioritise playing in that tournament also gives it stature. I think ODI cricket is important as a conduit between T20 and Test Cricket for nations and individuals.

After this version of the World Test Championships is over, which is June 2025, I think they should revise the format.

Firstly, reserve the month of June each year for Test Cricket only. No international T20 tournaments or other international cricket to be scheduled. June is exclusively for the best players to be available to play for their country.

Announce a 4-year cycle, with Qualifiers in June 2026,27,28 and a WTC Finals Series to declare the champion in 2029. It could be a Top 5 in the format of the SANFL Finals series to ensure each position is hotly contested throughout the 3 years of qualifying. As Test Cricket gets stronger, the finals series could also double up as a promotion/relegation series.

Pick the top 10 Test Cricket nations to all come to England in June. Like a "Gather Round" for Test Cricket. There is support for the traditional format in England. There is a huge multicultural society already living there to support more than just the home team. Their time zone is ideal to broadcast Test Cricket played in their day time to the rest of the world (except New Zealand) - especially Asia. It is also the home of Test Cricket.

Each side would play 3 Tests each qualifying year against different opposition. 9 Test matches all up over the 3 year qualifying period against every team once. Clever scheduling could see almost a 30 day block of cricket broadcast. Package up and sell it to the sponsors and broadcasters and use the money to grow First Class and Test Cricket worldwide. How many people all over the world would pay their $20 monthly subscription to Amazon if they could watch India play Pakistan in a Test match at Lords to open the event?

Each format then has a pinnacle which each nation could strive for. T20 drives the growth. ODI's hone the skills. Test Cricket is the ultimate.

In terms of the general schedule of cricket - I would leave the April/May window for IPL to allow all players to make their millions.
Reserve June for the World Championship Test Cricket in England.
Reserve windows for the ODI and T20 World Cup Finals.

Other than that, let the market dictate demand.

Work out what is best for the home schedule of each country and work towards that. Australia seems to do fine with Test Cricket and BBL both taking centre stage over the Christmas/New Year period. I don't see why England couldn't do the same in August with their Test Cricket and The Hundred. Allow a window towards the end of these tournaments for international players to play for their home teams.

Perhaps other countries such as South Africa need to have their home grown players available for their domestic T20 tournaments. That is fine. There would be no need to schedule a two match series against New Zealand.

As interest grows, nations could schedule more Test series in their schedule. If interest wanes, there is at least the June WTC to keep the pulse going.

I actually don't mind this. The prize money would have to be quite substantial for both players and country. More than for T20 and ODI.

There are currently 12 test playing nations. You could divide into 2 divisions of 6 so that the cycle is a 3 year period - each nation plays a one off test match against 2 others in their division each June with the top 2 playing in a final as the 6th match in the cycle (I think you would be hard pressed to fit 3 matches in for every nation, especially if you want to spread it so there is always a match on for broadcasting). Top 2 in Div 2 promoted for the following cycle, bottom 2 Div 1 relegated. You could even add a third division to support the developing nations.
Hector
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 33 times

Previous

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket